Coaching Carousel

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is too true of UGA fans

Rivals has confirmed Monken is replacing Coley as the OC and Monken will have playcalling duties. They are not sure what Coley's role is at this time.

Posted Images

1 minute ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

CBS pretty much nailed this one: 

On 1/9/2020 at 4:31 PM,  FalconsIn2012 said: 

CBS with some interesting nuggets.  I have no clue on particulars about #3

1st: Newman is a Dawg

2nd: Coley forced  Fromm into his system rather than adjust his system to fit Fromm’s style.  Coley will have his influences drastically reduced.  One analyst flat said Coley is out.

3rd: Serious changes/shake-ups on offensive philosophy.  Announcements starting Tuesday.  We will announce our version of Joe Brady

Yeah they were on top of it, but I still don't know about that last bit on that 3rd point lol... Todd Monken is nothing like Joe Brady, he has been a head coach and coordinated very successful offenses for a number of year. I mean wasn't Monken interviewing for NFL head coaching jobs recently?

And on that note, while I really like this hire, I think we have to realize this is likely a short term stop for Monken... we may be lucky to get 2 years with him.

5 minutes ago, Carter said:

Yeah they were on top of it, but I still don't know about that last bit on that 3rd point lol... Todd Monken is nothing like Joe Brady, he has been a head coach and coordinated very successful offenses for a number of year. I mean wasn't Monken interviewing for NFL head coaching jobs recently?

And on that note, while I really like this hire, I think we have to realize this is likely a short term stop for Monken... we may be lucky to get 2 years with him.

I think they meant a new coach will modernize the offense.

And to think I just saw Sallee call Kirby Les Miles 2.0.  not that it’s a huge insult, the dude did win a national championship and played for two others

Sallee should have waited an hour before releasing this:

The bad: Kirby Smart as coach of the year

I picked Georgia to win the national championship, so it's only natural that I pegged the fourth-year coach of the Bulldogs to take home some postseason accolades. Instead, Smart showed that he might be Les Miles 2.0 -- an SEC coach who refuses to acknowledge that a team has to have a dynamic offense in order to contend for the national championship on an annual basis. Smart needs to find his version of former LSU passing game coordinator Joe Brady.

16 minutes ago, Carter said:

yep...that’s what I was saying when I posted a hypothetical conversation between Coley/Kirby. 

1 hour ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

Kirby is pretty direct.  Probably said “listen Coley.  First off, how  bout them f’in dawgs.  Secondly, you’re an elite recruiter but not there yet as a coach.  Monken is a two year hire if things go well so learn as much as you can. Park the ego cause you don’t know it yet, but I’m doing you a favor.”

Fromm is like WTF?  I was stuck with Chaney & Coley

Just now, FalconsIn2012 said:

I think they meant a new coach will modernize the offense.

And to think I just saw Sallee call Kirby Les Miles 2.0.  not that it’s a huge insult, the dude did win a national championship and played for two others

I guess that could be it. :shrug: Seems like they just wanted to mention Brady again hah

It has been my observation though that a lot of people have had a very bad read on Kirby. He is stubborn but he's not nearly as stubborn as people talk about and I have never understood the narrative about him handcuffing or dragging the offense down. Chaney and Coley pretty much were what they've always been but it has been clear as day that we have WANTED to run a more explosive offense.

I was vocal about Coley being a crap hire and all I heard from people was "trust the process" or "trust Kirby" followed by explanations that just didn't fit anything Coley has actually done before. A lot of our struggles in 2019 truly were not his fault, but he did absolutely nothing to overcome it and showed the same tendency he showed at Miami in going ridiculously conservative and incapable of making adjustments.

Monken is pretty much the opposite of that. He has had a ton of success doing different things offensively that suit the strengths of his team. He's definitely bringing more of a pass oriented philosophy, but I'm curious and excited to see how he molds it around our OL/RB talent.

18 minutes ago, Carter said:

Because Bobo wanted to bring some of his staff with him from Colorado State. South Carolina was willing to take them with him, we weren't.

I understand wanting to work with certain people who understand your philosophy and concepts but Bobo also appears to have not learned that you don't drag your friends around to your different hiring stops after getting fired for poor performance.

4 minutes ago, Carter said:

I guess that could be it. :shrug: Seems like they just wanted to mention Brady again hah

It has been my observation though that a lot of people have had a very bad read on Kirby. He is stubborn but he's not nearly as stubborn as people talk about and I have never understood the narrative about him handcuffing or dragging the offense down. Chaney and Coley pretty much were what they've always been but it has been clear as day that we have WANTED to run a more explosive offense.

I was vocal about Coley being a crap hire and all I heard from people was "trust the process" or "trust Kirby" followed by explanations that just didn't fit anything Coley has actually done before. A lot of our struggles in 2019 truly were not his fault, but he did absolutely nothing to overcome it and showed the same tendency he showed at Miami in going ridiculously conservative and incapable of making adjustments.

Monken is pretty much the opposite of that. He has had a ton of success doing different things offensively that suit the strengths of his team. He's definitely bringing more of a pass oriented philosophy, but I'm curious and excited to see how he molds it around our OL/RB talent.

Agreed on all points.

Our wr  recruiting class is happy.  Pickens about to become a top 10 pick in two years 

And one thing to remember: Monken plays to the strengths of his personnel.  With our OL and RB’s we will still run at least 45% of the time

2 minutes ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

Agreed on all points.

Our wr  recruiting class is happy.  Pickens about to become a top 10 pick in two years 

And one thing to remember: Monken plays to the strengths of his personnel.  With our OL and RB’s we will still run at least 45% of the time

Monken has put out a bunch of 1,000+ yard rushers.

1 hour ago, Beef said:

We were 56% run to 44% pass this last season.  And obvious philosophy of using the run to open the pass.  And even then, our passing consisted of about 75% short, 20% intermediate, and 5% deep.  And, our runs were about 70% inside the hash marks to about 30% outside.

Monken is historically the opposite of that.  Usually around 55% passing to 45% running, and uses the pass to open the run.  And his passing is usually around 50% short, 35% intermediate, and 15% deep.  And his runs are usually 50/50 inside to outside, plus significantly more screens and a lot of HB usage (he likes to line his TE's up as HB's, and also split them out wide).

It's quite a stark difference from what we've been doing, but it's still just as effective at controlling the clock as long as the execution happens.

I know what monken has done in the past. I want to know how his offense will fit around our personnel. 

16 minutes ago, SacFalcFan said:

bulldog_bob has spoken.. LOL (bob actually mentioned we would be making some major changes.. this is one of them).

What I Love about CKS is his willingness to do whatever it takes to bring home a NC.
More good news to come .

Just proves that he's not too stubborn, which is always a recipe for disaster for HC's. 

https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/ny-sports-todd-monken-jets-darnold-coach-20190101-story.html  -- Article is a year old from when Monken was interviewing for the Jets head coaching job. 

Todd Monken’s three-word guiding principle might be exactly what the Jets need during this watershed moment: ABSENCE OF FEAR.

The Buccaneers offensive coordinator’s aggressive and creative schemes created plenty of chatter in NFL circles this year. The Jets have indeed requested to interview Monken, who’s on an expiring contract.

“I’m telling you: He’s got it,” veteran quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick told the Daily News Tuesday. “He’s got the ‘It factor’ as a head coach. He’s smart enough. He’s a big-time offensive coach. If that’s what they’re looking for, then it’ll be good for Sam.”

Monken’s fearless mantra sounds pretty **** good right about now for a team lacking a killer instinct.

“You have an absence of fear when he’s calling plays,” Fitzpatrick said. “As a quarterback, you have an absence of fear. It’s great being able to play with that type of confidence and know that if you make one mistake, we’re not going to shrivel up and run the ball the next 15 times and throw a screen on third down. To be able to play with an absence of fear as a player, not just a quarterback, but as an offense is so important. The way the NFL is going right now with everybody lighting up the scoreboard and trying to keep up with some of these teams, I think to have an offensive mind like that is very important.”

“He’s a bright offensive mind that has a good feel for the NFL now and where the NFL is heading,” Fitzpatrick said of Monken. “If you need more proof, look at me. He brought out the best in me and I think he has a way of doing that for quarterbacks. If you’re trying to build a franchise around a young quarterback, I don’t know if there’s a better choice than this guy. ... The guy lights up the room and garners respect of all the guys. You know he’s around when he walks in a room. I think that’s an important thing as a head coach to have that presence.”

Smart NFL people praised Monken for his innovative principles centered on pushing the ball downfield. He implemented run-pass options, creatively used space on the field and strategically picked up the tempo to keep pressure on opposing defenses. 

“If the play-caller has confidence in you, you can feel it on the headset,” Fitzpatrick said. “You can feel it by the way he’s calling plays. He was so awesome this year in terms of that, especially for it being his first time calling plays in the NFL. It was easy for him. He wasn’t stumbling over words or worried about mistakes or shrinking in big moments. He did a great job with all that.”

Great play-callers don’t necessarily translate into great generals, but Fitzpatrick praised Monken’s leadership traits, which should serve him well if he gets a chance to run the whole show.

“He has so much personality,” Fitzpatrick said. “He’s energetic, but he’s also very honest. If you ask him a question, he’s going to give you the answer. ... He’s going to tell it how it is. I think as a coach that’s really important. The two things that make you a good head coach in this league are if you can get the players to respect you and if you can come across with a clear, consistent message.”

“He’s always a guy who’s very consistent in what he’s doing,” Fitzpatrick said. “That doesn’t mean that we were always best of friends and he always agreed with what I did, but if he didn’t or had a problem with what I was doing, then he was going to be direct about it and tell me and not beat around the bush. That’s one of the most important qualities that I think you can have as a coach.”