Coaching Carousel

Great hire. I wonder how much we can expect the offense to shift. I hope we don’t get too far from the power run attack our brand has been built on over the years. 

Also wonder how long we can expect to hold on to monken. Hopefully he’s willing to stick around for a couple years at least. We need some continuity in the program. 

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is too true of UGA fans

Rivals has confirmed Monken is replacing Coley as the OC and Monken will have playcalling duties. They are not sure what Coley's role is at this time.

Posted Images

26 minutes ago, RandomFan said:
SoFL_Dawg Posts: 8,573 

Say Monken is officially listed as the OC... what does that mean for Coley?

I think the major change will be he isn’t the play caller going forward. Still may keep the title as a CO-OC.

Coley has tremendous value to this team on both sides of the ball. I’d imagine Kirby has had transparent conversations with him to work this all out. I don’t know officially what these roles will be. Hopefully he sticks around and is comfortable with the new role. If not, we’ll recover but the guy is an ace on the trail and many of the offensive woes last year weren’t necessarily on him.

Kirby is pretty direct.  Probably said “listen Coley.  First off, how  bout them f’in dawgs.  Secondly, you’re an elite recruiter but not there yet as a coach.  Monken is a two year hire if things go well so learn as much as you can. Park the ego cause you don’t know it yet, but I’m doing you a favor.”

Fromm is like WTF?  I was stuck with Chaney & Coley

47 minutes ago, richham said:

The Monken hire just doesn't move the needle for me, but I hope I am dead wrong and he is amazing.

Not sure how it doesn't.

It's a full blown formal change to a "pass to open the run" Air Coryell true spread system.

Southern Miss was 0-12 in 2012 and averaged 19.7 ppg., which was the 112th ranked offense out of 124.

Monken took over in 2013.

By 2015, Monken had Southern Miss go 9-5 and averaging 39.9 ppg, which was ranked 13th in the nation.

This got him hired as the Tampa Bay Bucs OC and WR's coach.

He also was at OK State with Mike Gundy when Branden freaking Weeden broke like half the college QB passing records, too.

I can't see how someone couldn't be excited AF about this.

5 minutes ago, Beef said:

Not sure how it doesn't.

It's a full blown formal change to a "pass to open the run" Air Coryell true spread system.

Southern Miss was 0-12 in 2012 and averaged 19.7 ppg., which was the 112th ranked offense out of 124.

By 2015, Monken had Southern Miss go 9-5 and averaging 39.9 ppg, which was ranked 13th in the nation.

He also was at OK State with Mike Gundy when Branden freaking Weeden broke like half the college QB passing records, too.

It’s actually more Air Raid than Coryell which is a very good thing.  Coryell is a far more difficult system.  Both feature 4 Verts

25 minutes ago, UAB_DAWG said:

Great hire. I wonder how much we can expect the offense to shift. I hope we don’t get too far from the power run attack our brand has been built on over the years. 

Also wonder how long we can expect to hold on to monken. Hopefully he’s willing to stick around for a couple years at least. We need some continuity in the program. 

We were 56% run to 44% pass this last season.  And obvious philosophy of using the run to open the pass.  And even then, our passing consisted of about 75% short, 20% intermediate, and 5% deep.  And, our runs were about 70% inside the hash marks to about 30% outside.

Monken is historically the opposite of that.  Usually around 55% passing to 45% running, and uses the pass to open the run.  And his passing is usually around 50% short, 35% intermediate, and 15% deep.  And his runs are usually 50/50 inside to outside, plus significantly more screens and a lot of HB usage (he likes to line his TE's up as HB's, and also split them out wide).

It's quite a stark difference from what we've been doing, but it's still just as effective at controlling the clock as long as the execution happens.

Edited by Beef
19 minutes ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

Kirby is pretty direct.  Probably said “listen Coley.  First off, how  bout them f’in dawgs.  Secondly, you’re an elite recruiter but not there yet as a coach.  Monken is a two year hire if things go well so learn as much as you can. Park the ego cause you don’t know it yet, but I’m doing you a favor.”

Fromm is like WTF?  I was stuck with Chaney & Coley

LOL, this sounds about exactly right.

No saying passing more will have the same impact, but LSU passed A LOT and dared people to try and stop them. Then the hand off and more yards. Like I've said before, it will be really interesting to see what we have offensively next year. I just hate we don't have the easier schedule on the front side like we did last year. That would give the guys more time to gel.

Don’t see how any dawg fan can’t be ecstatic about this- coley sucked as an oc, we were all worried (or at least I was) that Kirby would never replace him, and he was way to stubborn to adapt to today’s football..  w a better offense u don’t have to 100% out talent every team! And last we all watch because it’s entertaining really- our offense will actually be interesting again. 

6 minutes ago, Carter said:

Rivals has confirmed Monken is replacing Coley as the OC and Monken will have playcalling duties. They are not sure what Coley's role is at this time.

CBS pretty much nailed this one: 

On 1/9/2020 at 4:31 PM,  FalconsIn2012 said: 

CBS with some interesting nuggets.  I have no clue on particulars about #3

1st: Newman is a Dawg

2nd: Coley forced  Fromm into his system rather than adjust his system to fit Fromm’s style.  Coley will have his influences drastically reduced.  One analyst flat said Coley is out as OC

3rd: Serious changes/shake-ups on offensive philosophy.  Announcements starting Tuesday.  We will announce our version of Joe Brady

50 minutes ago, Beef said:

Not sure how it doesn't.

If Monken was on our staff as Co-OC with Chaney since 2016 we have one NC for sure in 2017  and at least play in another one in 2018