Coaching Carousel

7 minutes ago, fibonaccisquared said:

Seemed to me that he was taking the interview to "push back" on pressure at Va Tech that he's not doing enough... I never got the sense that he was actively looking to leave. Baylor feels pretty lateral there, perhaps slight step back due to the pecking order in Big XII vs a very weak ACC outside of Clemson.

If he just wants money its Baylor. They could pay more. The recent extension they gave Rhule was putting him close to $7M per. 

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is too true of UGA fans

Rivals has confirmed Monken is replacing Coley as the OC and Monken will have playcalling duties. They are not sure what Coley's role is at this time.

Posted Images

2 hours ago, fibonaccisquared said:

My only concern with the "no rush" comment is that if the best available gets snatched up for another job, that is on Kirby. As of right now, the best name mentioned would seem to be Monken. I trust Kirby to identify the right guy but you also have to be decisive. He has had two solid weeks now to interview/speak to candidates now... I'm not at "rage" status, but I do think dragging his feet at this point concerns me that he is reticent to truly evolve the offense. Hope I'm wrong.

The offense isn’t going to change a lot. It might just function how it’s supposed to though. 2019 was a bit of an anomaly to be honest. 2017 and 2018 had much better production. Now we have a struggle season and folks have these grand theories about how bassackwards in the stone ages we are and we need to change with the times because blah blah blah.

Also consider Kirby doesn’t care what people think or work on anyone’s timeline but his own. Lanning and Coley were our new coordinators last year for a long time before it was made public... and I believe even then it was only really made public because beat writers did FOIA requests.

1 hour ago, Unknøwn said:

Dave Aranda is the focus of Baylor. Deal could be done soon. LSU may be down Brady, Burrow and Aranda next year. Looking like a real possibility, could be why others withdrew because the writing was on the wall.

Baylor could start owning the Big 12 if Aranda can build a real Defense there like he can.

9 minutes ago, Unknøwn said:

We're about to find out how good Coach O is 

Or perhaps more interestingly, how good of a job he can do hiring. Ensminger may have had a hand in everything they did offensively, but Brady had a key role obviously, and then Burrow played a huge part. Going to be interesting to see who fills the voids. There is a Grand Canyon sized gap between Joe Burrow and Myles Brennan. 

1 minute ago, fibonaccisquared said:

Or perhaps more interestingly, how good of a job he can do hiring. Ensminger may have had a hand in everything they did offensively, but Brady had a key role obviously, and then Burrow played a huge part. Going to be interesting to see who fills the voids. There is a Grand Canyon sized gap between Joe Burrow and Myles Brennan. 

He has plenty of resources to hire anyone. LSU supplies a ton to his staff budget. He'll throw some big money at a DC. I wouldnt be shocked to see Charlie Strongs name surface here.

Please God let this happen.

Trent Smallwood
Trent Smallwood

War Daddy

Now I have a name that has been tossed around a few times to me and wanted to let you all know. San Francisco 49ers passing coordinator Mike LaFleur is a name I have heard Kirby Smart is interested in. If you are not familiar with him, LaFleur is a young guy that has been brought up with Kyle Shanahan. He was first hired as an intern under Shanahan with the Cleveland Browns in 2014. He was then an assistant offensive coach under Shanahan while he was with the Atlanta Falcons. That Falcons team eventually went on to play in the Super Bowl and Matt Ryan had his best year of his career.

Shanahan then was named the 49ers head coach in 2017. When he was hired, he took LaFleur with him to be his wide receiver coach and passing game coordinator.

Although he has been in the NFL the last six seasons, he did begin his career in the college ranks. He was an offensive assistant in 2009 at his Alma Mater Elmhurst. He was then the quarterback coach (2010) and offensive coordinator (2011-2012) at Saint Joseph's. He then spent a year as Davidson's offensive coordinator in 2013 before hitting the NFL ranks.

Mike is the brother of Green Bay Packers head coach Matt LeFleur.

Again, might be nothing to it but his name has been tossed to me a couple of times so wanted to put it out to you all.

Edited by L.A.Falcon Fan

I was driving home from the grocery store a bit ago and Jon Chuckery on 92.9 just interviewed Schlabach, and he just said again that Todd Monken is Kirby’s prime candidate for the open offensive coaching position. And then added that Monken, himself, supposedly said he’s wanting to move back to the college ranks and he’s not happy in the NFL. 

My question is, if he’s coming here, WTF are we waiting on? Why hasn’t it happened yet? Dude has been out of a job now for nearly 3 weeks.

6 minutes ago, Beef said:

I was driving home from the grocery store a bit ago and Jon Chuckery on 92.9 just interviewed Schlabach, and he just said again that Todd Monken is Kirby’s prime candidate for the open offensive coaching position. And then added that Monken, himself, supposedly said he’s wanting to move back to the college ranks and he’s not happy in the NFL. 

My question is, if he’s coming here, WTF are we waiting on? Why hasn’t it happened yet? Dude has been out of a job now for nearly 3 weeks.

I think that would be a pretty good indication that he’s not the guy.