Coaching Carousel

Unknøwn

33 minutes ago, SacFalcFan said:

well Schlabach said Todd Monken might be our new coach.. 

Would be an excellent hire. Monken knows the pass game and could really evolve UGA's offense into a spread oriented attack. His best year at Ok State his offense averaged 387 yards passing and 162 rushing which led to 48 points a game.

1 minute ago, Unknøwn said:

Would be an excellent hire. Monken knows the pass game and could really evolve UGA's offense into a spread oriented attack. His best year at Ok State his offense averaged 387 yards passing and 162 rushing which led to 48 points a game.

a big reason freddie moron kitchens was fired was he didn't allow monken to call plays.. i am still stunned by that.  yeah he was be a terrific hire.. he has done it all offensively.. 

8 minutes ago, SacFalcFan said:

a big reason freddie moron kitchens was fired was he didn't allow monken to call plays.. i am still stunned by that.  yeah he was be a terrific hire.. he has done it all offensively.. 

Oh yeah, there were reports over a month ago that Monken and Kitchens werent getting along. 

3 minutes ago, Bdawg58 said:

Monken just doesn’t make sense in that it would be a demotion for both him and Coley.. 

Monken would make more money in college. He wouldnt call plays but he would have heavy input at UGA and a chance to redesign it in his image. He was frustrated in Cleveland because he felt Kitchens wasnt really listening to him. He was just OC in title only. UGA could offer co-OC and a nice payday. A good year and he gets all the credit and the job offers roll in from every corner.

Just now, Unknøwn said:

Monken would make more money in college. He wouldnt call plays but he would have heavy input at UGA and a chance to redesign it in his image. He was frustrated in Cleveland because he felt Kitchens wasnt really listening to him. He was just OC in title only. UGA could offer co-OC and a nice payday.

I guess... I don’t dislike it if true but I can’t wrap my mind around why Monken would take it 

4 minutes ago, Bdawg58 said:

I guess... I don’t dislike it if true but I can’t wrap my mind around why Monken would take it 

It makes some sense. In the NFL hes never been allowed to fully be a playcaller. Koetter let him call a handful of games in Tampa but he mostly was OC in title only. In a world where everyone wants the next Joe Brady it's a good move to make yourself into the next Joe Brady. Who knows, if the offense sputters out of the gate next year Kirby might strip Coley of play calls and hand it to Monken. That said, he has a lot of offers to sort through. 

"Changes are expected on Kirby Smart's offensive staff as well. Keep an eye on former Cleveland Browns offensive coordinator Todd Monken."

"Schlabach is fairly well connected in Athens, so take it for what it’s worth. (I might also mention this isn’t the first time I’ve heard Monken’s name mentioned, so take that for what it’s worth, too.)"

SI summary on Monken:

"Monken is not a traditional “Air Raid” coach, at least not in the sense most think when they hear that phrase. If you watch his offense at Oklahoma State or Southern Miss it bears almost no resemblance to what you’ll see from Mike Leach and his disciples.

Monken runs more of a spread offense that is built around throwing the football, but his offense is more balanced. While his offenses always lean heavy on the pass, the ability to be effective running and throwing the football is what makes them so explosive. The threat of the run also makes his pass offense more dynamic.

What I like most about Monken’s offense is that he will attack the entire field with the throwing game. His Oklahoma State offense attacked down the field quite a bit, but on every snap you had to be prepared to defend every zone, short to deep, inside and outside. Monken will attack with vertical stretch concepts, horizontal stretch concepts and he’ll run some triangle concepts that are a big part of the West Coast offense.

Monken also attacks with the play-action and screen game. His screen game attacks inside and outside, and will go to backs and receivers. He’ll get his running backs the football many ways. In 2011-12 his top back was Joseph Randle, who caught 71 passes in two seasons under Monken. In 2015 at Southern Miss, his top two backs combined for 79 caches and 799 yards."

83429470_10157262942338208_8957947782426001408_n.jpg

https://www.buccaneers.com/news/jameis-winston-s-scrambles-becoming-a-positive-for-bucs-offense

checks sooo many boxes for us. Particularly...I think this article shows what to me is the nail in the coffin aspect of burrow at LSU...definitely pass first, but sooo deflating to cover up everybody, get pressure, and then...we scamper for a 1st down. Man o man...how lethal we could soon be. Frankly, all due respect to jw, if he can engineer an nfl leading pass attack w Winston under center...what CANT he do btwn the hedges. If Kirby makes this happen, imho, we’re talking potentially one of the greatest hires in uga history. Gives us the chance at being Dramatically more diverse and...if jw is an example, imagine how scary we could be with beck, gunner and co being much more accurate at this stage than jw was. Straight up lethal offensive potential to complement a suffocating d that looked more aggressive and confident (esp in pass rush) vs Baylor. Color me excited. 

40 minutes ago, Unknøwn said:

Monken would make more money in college. He wouldnt call plays but he would have heavy input at UGA and a chance to redesign it in his image. He was frustrated in Cleveland because he felt Kitchens wasnt really listening to him. He was just OC in title only. UGA could offer co-OC and a nice payday. A good year and he gets all the credit and the job offers roll in from every corner.

This. There's no reason he wouldn't get Joe Brady level credit if he comes in and UGA's offense looks remarkably improved. Would really just be a matter of can Coley's ego handle it. Ensminger seems like a dude that just has zero ego, so that approach worked this year for LSU.

Here is our offense last season/under Coley:

- run to open the pass... 56% run to 44% pass (averaged 67 plays per game, 37 run/30 pass)

- run scheme 75% inside tackles, 25% outside, mostly zone

- pass scheme 75% outside, 25% middle... 80% short, 15% intermediate, 5% deep

- few wrinkles... only occasional outside screens and jet sweeps

- gross under-utilization of TE's and Slots/Y's

- personnel rotations and formations make it incredibly easy to predict/telegraph our runs (ie. blocking WR's & TE's especially)

Here is what Monken would bring:

- pass to open the run... likely around 55% passing to 45% running (complete flip from current)

- run scheme 50% inside, 50% outside, more power, a lot of pulling interior OL's (Matt Luke specialty, too)

- pass scheme 50% outside, 50% middle... 50% short, 35% intermediate, 15% deep

- a lot of wrinkles... 50/50 inside and middle screens, more HB and RB involved in passing game

- much more utilization of TE's and Slots/Y's, especially middle of field

- personnel rotations aren't dead giveaways on what we're doing, the best players play more and everyone touches the ball and blocks

And if we don't get Monken, then we need someone who will at least do something similar to what he does.  Or, Coley needs to shift to this if we're sticking with him.

2 hours ago, Unknøwn said:

I think his effort at southern Miss was most impressive.  Took over a dumpster fire.  Offense went from #130 to #11 in two years