Unknøwn

Coaching Carousel

1,580 posts in this topic

21 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

Yes I listened as well and we know Michigan State has been a cesspool of scandal the last few years.

I am sure part of the huge salary for Tucker and Assistants was an overpay to get Tucker to take a job with NCAA sanctions likely coming.

Seems like Griffith said something (cannot remember exactly what) but that Michigan State really preferred time hire a minority coach as well.  @fibonaccisquared - do you remember exactly what Griffith said there?

the lawsuit from the former employee is going to turn to a discrimination based termination, which may have tipped the scales in favor of making a diversity hire for HC

Generally that... I don't remember it being much more explicit than that... Basically just that the wrongful termination suit that is already on the books is likely to turn into a racism/discrimination based attack, so the diversity hire was a way to try and play defense on that angle... 

4 hours ago, LawDawg said:

May be a blessing in disguise for Colorado. I think Bieniemy would shine. I hope they grab him.

Doubt he goes there. He's one year away from an NFL HC job.

32 minutes ago, Ovie_Lover said:

Doubt he goes there. He's one year away from an NFL HC job.

Going to Colorado wouldn't change that. He'd basically be able to pick whatever NFL job he wanted and wouldnt be handcuffed by a future Chiefs playoff run. Chance to prove himself as a HC and without Reid.

54 minutes ago, Unknøwn said:

Going to Colorado wouldn't change that. He'd basically be able to pick whatever NFL job he wanted and wouldnt be handcuffed by a future Chiefs playoff run. Chance to prove himself as a HC and without Reid.

Why would he even want to go there for one year and risk subpar players hurting him? 

38 minutes ago, Ovie_Lover said:

Why would he even want to go there for one year and risk subpar players hurting him? 

Bill O'Brien didnt exactly blow the doors off at Penn State and he was Texans HC in 2 years.

26 minutes ago, Unknøwn said:

Bill O'Brien didnt exactly blow the doors off at Penn State and he was Texans HC in 2 years.

Fair point but again why do it for just one year and risk it?

The ugly side of Dantanio quitting on Michigan State in February has showed up. Tucker's first action was to release the entire staff from the program. So Dantonio's entire coaching staff that trusted him is now unemployed at a time when all the jobs have pretty much been filled.

20 minutes ago, Unknøwn said:

The ugly side of Dantanio quitting on Michigan State in February has showed up. Tucker's first action was to release the entire staff from the program. So Dantonio's entire coaching staff that trusted him is now unemployed at a time when all the jobs have pretty much been filled.

that is where it really really stinks.. was it documented why he waited so long to quit?  basically msu's boosters included nick saban in the discussion and he told them to hire mel tucker no matter what it took and they did.. i hope some of those guys had multi year deals (regarding to the old staff). 

25 minutes ago, SacFalcFan said:

charlie strong is visiting bama.. he might be hired on as a consultant. 

I would love to see Gator fans faces if this happens.

2 hours ago, Unknøwn said:

Yikes. 

3 hours ago, Unknøwn said:

Maybe Colorado can take them after Mel brings his staff to Mich St

On 2/14/2020 at 0:29 PM, SacFalcFan said:

was it documented why he waited so long to quit?

I read somewhere right after he resigned that he had just secured a longevity bonus of 3-4 million a few days before....

10 minutes ago, ECDawg78 said:

I read somewhere right after he resigned that he had just secured a longevity bonus of 3-4 million a few days before....

That's correct. He had a retention bonus of $4.3M paid out for being the HC on January 15th. The only indication we've got so far is that Dantonio just decided he didnt want to do it anymore.

17 hours ago, Unknøwn said:

Charlie Strong has reportedly turned down multiple SEC offers to join Alabama.

Strong should have never left Louisville. Perfect for for him but he bounced on those players and been losing ever since...

2 hours ago, Spts1 said:

Tucker pulled a Petrino.  Coaches can be dishonest and bounce but players are held to a mythical standard...

https://www.si.com/.amp/college/2020/02/16/mel-tucker-colorado-michigan-state-football

It’s already been shown that the university wouldn’t let him talk to the players before he left so he didn’t pull a Petrino.  

fibonaccisquared likes this

2 hours ago, Spts1 said:

Strong should have never left Louisville. Perfect for for him but he bounced on those players and been losing ever since...

And turn down the large sum of money that Texas was throwing at him.  Gtfoh.  

1 hour ago, Porter Osborne Jr said:

And turn down the large sum of money that Texas was throwing at him.  Gtfoh.  

Why not? The players have to. 

1 hour ago, Porter Osborne Jr said:

It’s already been shown that the university wouldn’t let him talk to the players before he left so he didn’t pull a Petrino.  

He two faced Colorado.  On record  that he told them one thing while doing another...

1 hour ago, Spts1 said:

He two faced Colorado.  On record  that he told them one thing while doing another...

Grow up.  Every coach in the world does this.  Ruhl is the only coach I’ve ever heard of that told his players he’s going to entertain offers.

And pulling a Petrino means leaving in the middle of the night and not telling your players about it.

Edited by Porter Osborne Jr
fibonaccisquared likes this