Unknøwn

Coaching Carousel

1,336 posts in this topic

Rutgers loves Ohio State DC's. They're now focused on  OSU co-DC Jeff Hafley. Hafley is a NJ native and spent 1 year as Schiano's DB coach at Rutgers. Rutgers just fired former Ohio State DC Chris Ash, tried to hire former OSU DC Schiano and now hope to hire current OSU DC Hafley.

Mike Norvell seems to be sticking at FSU. Brian Kelly seems to be their big hire right now but Norvell is looking like a good bet. Of course a Kelly move to FSU would inevitably lead to a flood of Urban to ND talks.

Rutgers brass is being pressured to go get Schiano. They've seen a large number of donations start to come in since news broke that talks ended. Stay tuned to that one. 

Mike Leach reportedly wants the Arkansas job. Their is mutual interest but Arkansas is first checking with Justin Fuente. 

Mike Bohn is reportedly leaning toward keeping Clay Helton for at least one more season at USC. 

Urban may not be returning to college after all. Yesterday an NFL insider said the idea of Urban is quickly growing on Jerry Jones. Urban Meyer might be the next coach of the Dallas Cowboys.

30 minutes ago, Unknøwn said:

Colorado State is preparing to fire Mike Bobo. 

Hopefully UGA can bring him in Jay Johnson’s old role for a year and if year 2 of Coley as OC doesn’t pan out, we could slide Bobo over to OC.

95Dawg, putnam6 and g-dawg like this

28 minutes ago, m2Falcons said:

Go ahead CSU.  I bet he's about ready to return home anyway.

He knows its coming, he said all the right things but he was a bit defeated. Good start at CSU but turned into a 28-35 mark with 12 straight losses to rivals. He went 2-12 against CSU's biggest rivals.

Is the bobo thing a hope or does anyone think it actually has legs? I’d be thrilled to have him in any type of offensive role, oc- qb coach would be great... like today! But curious if Kirby thinking the same thing?

38 minutes ago, Dawgfanbrock said:

Is the bobo thing a hope or does anyone think it actually has legs? I’d be thrilled to have him in any type of offensive role, oc- qb coach would be great... like today! But curious if Kirby thinking the same thing?

Too soon to say it's more than hope from the fans. I sincerely doubt Smart changes OC after 1 year. He could bring in Bobo as a co-OC/QB coach just to help with game planning. Then after year 2 of Coley you could make the switch.

8 hours ago, Unknøwn said:

Too soon to say it's more than hope from the fans. I sincerely doubt Smart changes OC after 1 year. He could bring in Bobo as a co-OC/QB coach just to help with game planning. Then after year 2 of Coley you could make the switch.

I agree with this.  I read that Bobo will likely take an analyst role for year and then choose the best opportunity after that.  It would be great if UGA could bring him in as an analyst, but I don’t know how realistic that is.  The downside to hiring a good friend is if things go south and a change needs to be made.  Think of Richt and Willie Martinez.

Think Kirby has to make that move though, our offense has been about as bad as could be imagined with our talent- bobo in any offensive role would be good and it’s the only Realistic big move that we can possibly see outside of replacing oc... which I think kirbys a little to prideful to do- coley has to know he hasn’t had a good year and can’t figure he’d be slited to get a co-oc added.. after all uga is not some avg job- smart would be total valid to fire him today

KS needs to do what make the Dawgs better. As soon as that opportunity presents itself. Period.

I'm not saying that to say Coley should be gone; I don't know that, but Kirby either knows already, or he should be able to decide that soon.

If Bobo is brought in as an analyst then it should help Dawgs get better on offense. One would think...

26 minutes ago, putnam6 said:

FWIW Reddit rumors is Smart wants him in whatever position he can find for him, QB coach assistant OC whatever.   

I’m sure he does.  

12 hours ago, Dawgfanbrock said:

There is legit connections between the two.  Teammates, friends, wives are friends, in each other’s weddings, mutual coaching respect, etc.   Moreover, one is offense and other defense, Georgia is home - both legit recruiters, etc, etc

Dunno if Bobo will want to be HC again but if so, he will need 3-4 years back as OC in a top program(eventually OC).

The pieces just mesh too well for it not to happen.   Only real question would be if some other P5 program throws a ton of money at Bobo to be the OC.

m2Falcons likes this

6 hours ago, Unknøwn said:

Missouri has fired Barry Odom. 

I was surprised by that.  He seemed to be doing a solid job for them. 

Edited by frankly88
Turkeydawg likes this

15 hours ago, frankly88 said:

I was surprised by that.  He seemed to be doing a solid job for them. 

Yes. Starting the season with a loss @ Wyoming was a bad look and then losing to Vandy, followed by 4 more losses, and a squeaker win over Arkansas was just a rough season. Don't know the condition of recruiting and roster talent there, so maybe he hasn't been doing well enough in that respect and they see that, now moving on, but I'm a bit surprised by it.

Missouri fired Odom because the AD felt the program had stalled. Pinkel had some good momentum going with two East titles and officials fully believe they can compete with UGA and Florida in the East. I expect they'll look at Mike Leach with his Texas connections. Leach has overstayed his welcome at Wazzu at this point. 

21 minutes ago, Unknøwn said:

Missouri fired Odom because the AD felt the program had stalled. Pinkel had some good momentum going with two East titles and officials fully believe they can compete with UGA and Florida in the East. I expect they'll look at Mike Leach with his Texas connections. Leach has overstayed his welcome at Wazzu at this point. 

Compete and Beat are two different things. Stalled... maybe so, but it's a heckuva jump just to get to truly "compete with" in the SEC. Pinkel had some good fortune in that he caught a period wherein UGA, UF, and UT were ALL in down cycles. I don't see that happening again anytime soon, and UK is no slouch, with SC always a threat to have a good run now and then. Perhaps they can do a lot better though; will see how it shakes out.

One way or the other it looks like Leach is headed to the SEC though.  That's going to be interesting!!  

If Randy Campbell can also be convinced to leave the Big12 for the challenge of the SEC...  then it gets reeeeaaaallllllly interesting!!!

95Dawg likes this