Unknøwn

Coaching Carousel

1,380 posts in this topic

Report: UGA’s Kirby Smart tried to hire Mike Bobo

https://www.dawgnation.com/football/report-ugas-kirby-smart-tried-to-hire-mike-bobo-this-week

UGA tried to hire Mike Bobo, according to Andy Staples, the longtime Sports Illustrated reporter who now works for The Athletic.

After Bobo was terminated last weekend as Colorado State’s head coach, there was rampant speculation that UGA might like to bring back Bobo as the team’s offensive coordinator. Bobo, who was a player or assistant coach for the Bulldogs for 22 years, was officially hired by South Carolina on Tuesday.

There weren’t any media reports about UGA coach Kirby Smart actually approaching Bobo with an opportunity, until Staples mentioned it as part of an article on Thursday:

“I think Smart will try to change the offense. The question is how far he’ll be willing to go. (Smart) tried to hire (Bobo) … but South Carolina coach Will Muschamp won the tug-of-war between former Georgia teammates to hire their former teammate Bobo. Bobo would have opened up the offense …”

To read the rest of The Athletic’s story, please go HERE.

There’s a lot to analyze from Staples’ article. For background information, Smart and Bobo remain best of friends after rooming together as UGA football teammates in the early 1990s.

Flash forward to now: UGA has a first-year offensive coordinator James Coley, who was promoted from the team’s quarterbacks coach. Coley has been highly-visible this week while out on the road recruiting for the Bulldogs.

Staples did not outright say that UGA specifically offered Bobo as offensive coordinator, although it appears that Bobo would’ve been in charge by saying “Bobo would have opened up the offense.” If so, would Coley have been moved back to QBs coach?

Thoughts on the Bobo report? Please post below.

Staples didn’t cite a specific source or even go as far as saying he was offered the position. I feel like if there was a meeting Bobo would have kept quiet about it out of respect for Kirby and we know Kirby keeps leaks to a minimum so it sounds like speculation to me. 

Maybe Kirby offered and maybe he didn’t. Either way it doesn’t matter and Bobo is at South Carolina. 

I’m not sure why Carvell wrote and article about someone else’s article. There was nothing of substance there either. Smells like click bait to me. 

sdogg and Porter Osborne Jr like this

2 hours ago, Bdawg58 said:

It came down to not being able to bring anyone with Bobo is why he took the job at USCjr. It’s pretty much that simple

Ugh!! 

Well now I wonder if we will target someone else to accept being a co-OC?

4 hours ago, Bdawg58 said:

It came down to not being able to bring anyone with Bobo is why he took the job at USCjr. It’s pretty much that simple

If true - then that is like turning down the keys to a Ferrari because your friends can't ride in it for a few months.  If the support staff he wanted to bring over are that good, he could have worked them in somewhere in the offseason or if Coley up and walked, etc.

I wonder if he'll get any blowback from his support personnel, now that they know they could have been living in Athens shortly down the road.  Maybe Columbia is an upgrade on Ft. Collins - don't know... but Athens is certainly preferable to Columbia.

19 minutes ago, Bdawg58 said:

There’s been rumors of Scott leaving but I don’t see that happening until after the bowl game IF it happens. 

Well IF it happens, do we see a Bo Davis??

23 minutes ago, 95Dawg said:

Well IF it happens, do we see a Bo Davis??

Only peep we've heard about Bo is that Kiffin offered him a job at Ole Miss.

Memphis has named interim HC Ryan Silverfield the new HC.

This cleared the way for runner up, Barry Odom, to take the DC job at Arkansas. Pittman gets his man on defense.

5 minutes ago, Unknøwn said:

Memphis has named interim HC Ryan Silverfield the new HC.

This cleared the way for runner up, Barry Odom, to take the DC job at Arkansas. Pittman gets his man on defense.

That's a good pickup for Pittman

Wardog357, g-dawg, Carter and 1 other like this

37 minutes ago, 95Dawg said:

That's a good pickup for Pittman

He'll go the Coach O path. He can recruit and rally the troops but he needs to invest in great coordinators to put it all together. 

95Dawg and Wardog357 like this

UGASports on the FOIA request for Matt Luke’s salary with the quickness...

Base Annual Salary - $375,000

Supplemental Compensation -  $525,000

Total Annual Compensation - $900,000

Same as Pittman made if I’m not mistaken.

I’ll give 10:1 odds freaking Clemson wins it all- again for those of u that don’t know if Russia or n.korea had a cf team I’d pull for em against clemson. My moneys on the real turds