Unknøwn

Coaching Carousel

1,414 posts in this topic

Well it's label breaking UGA is hiring Matt Luke as OL coach.. anyways here is the article: 

It didn't take long for Kirby Smart to fill the offensive line coaching vacancy on his staff -- less than 48 hours, in fact. Persons with knowledge of the situation have informed Dawgs247 that barring something unexpected former Ole Miss head coach Matt Luke will be the Bulldogs new offensive line coach.

Sam Pittman, who coached the offensive line for the first four years of Smart's tenure at UGA, let the program to become the next head coach at Arkansas on Sunday night. Pittman grew into one of the most beloved Bulldog assistant coaches in recent memory because of his ability to recruit and develop as well as his masterful use of social media whenever he would land a blue-chip prospect. He'll now be replaced by a coach who was beloved by his players in a three-year head coaching stint (one of those as the interim head coach) at his alma mater.

Luke helped pull the Rebels through NCAA sanctions after Hugh Freeze was fired prior to the 2017 season and led the program to a 15-21 record during that time. Ole Miss got better from year to year under Luke but he was fired after losing a heartbreaker to Mississippi State in the 2019 Egg Bowl. That loss caused the Rebels to finish the season 4-8 and marked a third straight finish in the No. 6 spot of the SEC's Western Division.

The former Ole Miss offensive lineman's entire coaching career has been in The South. He started as a graduate assistant at Ole Miss in 1999 before becoming the offensive line coach at Murray State in 2000. He spent two seasons there before going back to Ole Miss as the offensive line and tight ends coach in 2002. He spent three years at Ole Miss with David Cutcliffe as the head coach and when Cutcliffe was let go after the 2004 season, Luke was retained by Ed Orgeron. After four years in Oxford, Luke moved on to Tennessee under head coach Phillip Fulmer and Cutcliffe (offensive coordinator) in 2006 and 2007.

When Cutcliffe moved on to become the head coach at Duke, Luke followed. He spent four years there, serving as the co-offensive coordinator and offensive line coach before returning to Ole Miss in 2012. In his third stint with the Rebels, Luke held the same positions as he did during his time at Duke. He did that from 2012 to 2016 before taking over as the interim head coach.

During his career as an assistant coach, Luke coached guys like Michael Oher (Ole Miss), Arron Sears (Tennessee), Laremy Tunsill (Ole Miss) and Greg Little (Ole Miss). He has coached under or with offensive guru's like Cutcliffe, Freeze, and Rich Rodriguez during his career.

Luke might be able to help coach the Bulldog offensive line for its matchup with Baylor in the Allstate Sugar Bowl but he'll, at the very least, get a chance to evaluate a group that is stocked with talent thanks to Pittman's recruiting efforts.

26 minutes ago, Red Bandana said:

Not yet

Yeah but I’m not getting my hopes up either. We’ve heard substantial rumors about basically every coach on the staff except for Coley. I’m pretty sure he’s getting another year to prove himself.

4 hours ago, UAB_DAWG said:

So you're playing the what if game before anything has even happened? Good job Mr. Hot take. I'm glad you got that out there early so you can point back to it IF something does happen along those lines.

Our fans aren't even ready to handle a successful program. If this is what things look like every time we lose a coach to a promotion we are in for a long ride.

Of course I'm playing the what if game cause we've entered the rumor vortex. Pittman getting a head nod when all fans across the board deemed it a very weak rumor kind of opens your perspective. So every guy with their name attached to something you have to keep tabs on.

Matt Luke was rumored here and it made sense tho. Anyhow, he was in part of the Tunsil debacle... Time to make it up by hitting the ground sprinting. 

1 minute ago, Prison Mikey said:

Of course I'm playing the what if game cause we've entered the rumor vortex. Pittman getting a head nod when all fans across the board deemed it a very weak rumor kind of opens your perspective. So every guy with their name attached to something you have to keep tabs on.

Matt Luke was rumored here and it made sense tho. Anyhow, he was in part of the Tunsil debacle... Time to make it up by hitting the ground sprinting. 

It’s one thing to ask who may leave and how it will affect the team. It’s another to first assume guys leaving are making lateral moves and then talk about how that reflects poorly on Kirby. 

I don’t mind keeping Coley, but can we also bring in another young up-and-comer to give a second pair of eyes on the offense and it’s development? Brent Dearmon would be first on my list. 

2 hours ago, Unknøwn said:

Drinkwitz might be in for a rude awakening in the SEC. Today Drinkwitz said he'll be HC, play calling OC and special teams coordinator. 

Yeah.

That’ll work.

21 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

That sucks

I'm sure I will be swiftly corrected for suggesting this, but has Morris actually done much of note? I can't remember if Deshaun did his best work when Morris was at Clemson.

2 hours ago, Unknøwn said:

Drinkwitz might be in for a rude awakening in the SEC. Today Drinkwitz said he'll be HC, play calling OC and special teams coordinator. 

Maybe he is a fan of Michael Keaton movies

michael-keaton-multiplicity-o.gif