Ohio State vs Nebraska

My message to Dawg fans. Should we expect anything different from this program? Mark Richt decided to recruit Cam Newton as a tight end from our own state, he goes to Auburn and breaks their national championship drought. Mike Bobo (and Mark Richt too) didn't want Deshaun Watson, he goes to Clemson, gives them back to back trips to the national championship and breaks their national championship drought.

Now as for Justin Fields, I don't know who to blame, Jim Chaney or Kirby Smart, but at the end of the day, Kirby Smart is still the head coach, and he's still young, but, Georgia continues to be ultra conservative on offense, and in this day and time of college football, that ultra conservative offense isn't going to make you beat the elite defenses in the 2nd half. You have to stretch out the field more in the vertical passing game. This might be why Georgia is 0-3 on the road vs. the SEC West, might be 0-5 after 2019 Auburn and 2020 Alabama TBH.

Georgia's national title drought will continue well past 2020 or 2025 if we continue to have this mindset. Hate to admit the truth. I feel like a better offensive coordinator or offensive philosophy would make Jake Fromm a better QB too. Justin Fields wasn't built for Georgia's offensive philosophy. 

Edited by mqg96
  • Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Y’all cry about “Fields haters” but bring up Fromm and talk **** about Kirby in every single Ohio State thread lol Some fans we have. It would be nice to have Fields as a QB if we ran the ki

You keep saying lots of folks. There were like 3 super pro Fields people in that thread, one being you... and maybe like 5 or 6 others that bothered commenting much at all. Enjoying speculation is als

I don’t know if you’ve followed all the Justin Fields threads on this forum but my advise is to let this one go before you spiral down this black hole of a thread the rest of us have been sucked down 

The funny thing about this is both Eason and Justin would have been held back at Georgia.  It washed out for the best for the 3 quarterbacks.  Fromm is suited to run that run first offense while Justin and Eason are more suited to sling the ball around. 

Justin is the best of the three.  Heck,  he is the best quarterback in college.  I've seen enough.  Gonna be a wild college football playoff this season...

6 minutes ago, mqg96 said:

My message to Dawg fans. Should we expect anything different from this program? Mark Richt decided to recruit Cam Newton as a tight end from our own state, he goes to Auburn and breaks their national championship drought. Mike Bobo (and Mark Richt too) didn't want Deshaun Watson, he goes to Clemson, gives them back to back trips to the national championship and breaks their national championship drought.

Now as for Justin Fields, I don't know who to blame, Jim Chaney or Kirby Smart, but at the end of the day, Kirby Smart is still the head coach, and he's still young, but, Georgia continues to be ultra conservative on offense, and in this day and time of college football, that ultra conservative offense isn't going to make you beat the elite defenses in the 2nd half. You have to stretch out the field more in the vertical passing game. This might be why Georgia is 0-3 on the road vs. the SEC West, might be 0-5 after 2019 Auburn and 2020 Alabama TBH.

Georgia's national title drought will continue well past 2020 or 2025 if we continue to have this mindset. Hate to admit the truth. I feel like a better offensive coordinator or offensive philosophy would make Jake Fromm a better QB too. Justin Fields wasn't built for Georgia's offensive philosophy. 

Excellent post. I just posted the same thing. Justin leaving was best for his skillset. Rush Propst said that the biggest mistake of Richt's Georgia tenure was not signing Deshawn Watson. He said Richt would have never got fired.  Watson was the only quarterback that Alabama couldn't stop.  Justin is the same type of quarterback but he is better than Watson. Thats saying a lot because Watson is very good...

Sorry, but its fields fault he left, he demanded to start, didn't get it and transferred. Eason left because he lost his starting job. I think another reason he left because we are a run first team that doesn't like to sling the ball much.

Fromm would probably put up big numbers too if he wasn't held back by Quinn 2.0.

13 hours ago, g-dawg said:

I will say it - by far.

Obviously Haskins was highly productive but his skill set isn’t close to Fields and there is nothing Haskins does better.   Ok, one thing - he has a more gregarious personality.

Say all you want.  

Haskins was a first round pick and threw for 50 tds last year.  Does Fields have a a better skill set, yes.  But saying it’s by far is a stretch in my opinion.  

I have ZERO interest in rehashing the Eason, Fields, Fromm debate but we all knew this was coming if the two that transferred were successful.  

I will say that I believe that Fromm simply suited (past tense) what Kirby wanted from a QB better.  Kirby leaned towards a run-heavy, risk-averse style of play on offense while being very fundamentally sound and geared toward preventing the big play on defense.  Both sides of the ball worked together.   Its why we led the country in fewest big plays given up, yet ranked very low in sacks/tackles for loss.  Eason and Fields talents weren't really needed because Kirby wasn't interested in throwing the football 1 more time than was necessary to get the W.  We were very successful with this, by the way, getting to the NC game and SECC game in years 2 & 3 respectively.   I think Kirby deserves a TON of credit for what he has been able to accomplish with what he had on defense. 

I do believe that the philosophy is now changing since Kirby feels that he finally has enough talent in the defensive backfield and pass rush ability that will allow the team to play a more attacking style of defense and be successful which in turn allows the team to be more dynamic on offense.  And I think we are transitioning to that style of football in the first four games of the season.   It remains to be seen how well and how far that transition will go, especially on offense. 

Edited by frankly88
2 hours ago, frankly88 said:

I have ZERO interest in rehashing the Eason, Fields, Fromm debate but we all knew this was coming if the two that transferred were successful.  

I will say that I believe that Fromm simply suited (past tense) what Kirby wanted from a QB better.  Kirby leaned towards a run-heavy, risk-averse style of play on offense while being very fundamentally sound and geared toward preventing the big play on defense.  Both sides of the ball worked together.   Its why we led the country in fewest big plays given up, yet ranked very low in sacks/tackles for loss.  Eason and Fields talents weren't really needed because Kirby wasn't interested in throwing the football 1 more time than was necessary to get the W.  We were very successful with this, by the way, getting to the NC game and SECC game in years 2 & 3 respectively.   I think Kirby deserves a TON of credit for what he has been able to accomplish with what he had on defense. 

I do believe that the philosophy is now changing since Kirby feels that he finally has enough talent in the defensive backfield and pass rush ability that will allow the team to play a more attacking style of defense and be successful which in turn allows the team to be more dynamic on offense.  And I think we are transitioning to that style of football in the first four games of the season.   It remains to be seen how well and how far that transition will go, especially on offense. 

Good post, very accurate. Part of the "issue" if you want to call it that with Kirby is he balances the offense and defense. If there are injuries he will go more conservative and try to keep the game under control... we won't take too many shots downfield, we won't send extra guys to blitz, Fromm will go heavy on checks, etc.

This happened in the Notre Dame game with us losing both starting corners and two offensive linemen.

No one who understands how football is actually played thinks Kirby made the wrong choice by sticking with Fromm. No one who actually went to practices last year thought Fields should be starting over Fromm. Fields didn't want to give it any more time, which in all honesty is his prerogative. People need to stop framing it as Kirby screwing up though, because he went with the QB that gave our team the best chance to win in 2018.

And yes, Kirby will have to concede some control to the OC before we see an offense that Fields would be "ideally" suited for. Fields wanted to be developed for the NFL though, that was a big reason stated for him choosing UGA to begin with. He will win a ton of games and put up video game numbers at Ohio State but Ryan Day is not going to prepare him for the NFL with the offense he runs.

Just now, Porter Osborne Jr said:

Let’s start with a better college career.  That seems pretty fair to me and more immediate.

Yes!

and no offense meant by this, but this observational behavior is what leads to a sense of entitlement.. ie comparing pro players to players 4 games into a college career..

hes talented.. don’t think anyone ever denied that.. but let’s not compare him with talents such as Watson.. too early..

keep his ego in check 

7 hours ago, g-dawg said:

Ok.  How many years was Haskins the starter? Let’s start there

Just one.  In which he threw for over 4,000 yards and 50 tds.  Accounted for almost 5,000 yards of offense had 4 400 yard games and 8 300 yard games.  Was the Big Ten POY, finished 3rd in the Heisman and drafted in the first round.  

Again, Justin is probably better, but to say he is by far better than Haskins is a stretch.  If he comes close or ellipses those stats after this year and next I’ll probably end up agreeing with you.

18 hours ago, Porter Osborne Jr said:

Through the air?  Without looking? 21?

why just through the air?  do the running TDs not count?

16 TDs passing,  1,092 passing yards, 70% completion rate - ZERO interceptions,   95.4 QBR

7 TDs rushing,   222 rushing yards

23 total TDs,  1,314 total yards

3 hours ago, Wardog357 said:

Well......we may end up playing Ohio State in the Last round or Natty. I'm not feeling real comfortable with that after watching OSU play some games. They seem pretty solid top to bottom. But ND is also better than I thought they were too.

Fields will be EXTREMELY difficult to defend for any elite defense - including Bama and Clemson.

45 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

why just through the air?  do the running TDs not count?

16 TDs passing,  1,092 passing yards, 70% completion rate - ZERO interceptions,   95.4 QBR

7 TDs rushing,   222 rushing yards

23 total TDs,  1,314 total yards

Because I threw out the stat about Haskins throwing 50 last year.  Those are all great stats too.  If he can just pick it up a tick or two he’ll match what Haskins did last year.  Although Taylor at Wisconsin may get the POY award and there are several great choices for Heisman this year.

4 hours ago, g-dawg said:

Fields will be EXTREMELY difficult to defend for any elite defense - including Bama and Clemson.

Dude stop. He has not done anything at all to be this anointed elite of the elite QB like you say. Dude has broken some meaningless total TD record against scrubs. He folded like a cheap suit when he saw Alabama... and he had a receiver coming wide open on a slant that was his only purpose for being in the game. I’ve said it before but I’m not so sure he didn’t wreck that play on purpose to get back at Kirby for not playing him more. Some “Dawg fans“ probably think that’s awesome too.

Just now, Carter said:

Dude stop. He has not done anything at all to be this anointed elite of the elite QB like you say. Dude has broken some meaningless total TD record against scrubs. He folded like a cheap suit when he saw Alabama... and he had a receiver coming wide open on a slant that was his only purpose for being in the game. I’ve said it before but I’m not so sure he didn’t wreck that play on purpose to get back at Kirby for not playing him more. Some Dawg fans probably think that’s awesome too.

It's funny on TATF he made fun of gazoo for saying our defense was back and said he should wait until we play good teams or a year. But then anoints Justin.