Jump to content

Honest Question: How Much Better is Belichick Than Everyone Else?


Recommended Posts

20 minutes ago, NeonDeion said:

What’s the point of having referees then?

Stickum is banned. None of those other things are banned. They are penalties and/or suspensions WITHIN the rules of the game. 

Otherwise just play the games without referees 

 

Headbutting is banned in boxing. Intentional headbutting will result in a disqualification and probably a suspension of a boxer's licenses.

 

The main reasons why the other 2 can result in penalties or suspensions are because those are acts of cheating. An offensive lineman holding a pass rusher is cheating, which is the reason why it gets penalized.

 

Refs are meant to officiate their respective sports and penalize acts of cheating and make sure both players or teams play within the rules of the sport. They may do a few other things as well depending on which sport.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

He might not be the DC but he is the one game planning. Guy is the greatest defensive mind ever. Guys trust him and do their jobs. They take high football IQ guys

He’s the greatest HC of all time, of probably any sport. The gap between him and the rest of the coaches is FAR wider than the gap between Brady and other QB’s 

Brady owes his career to BB   fight me

7 minutes ago, grandcanyonaz said:

The amazing thing about him is even when they lose key players they find a way to replace and still win. He takes people off the scrap heap and turns them around (like Randy Moss).

Bill Parcels is another good one. He wins no matter where he goes.

 

True, but Bill didn't turn around Moss though.

 

Moss' biggest problem before going to the Pats was that he was on a awful Raiders team that was ran by an Al Davis that really lost his way by that time. It caused Randy to become disinterested and quit on that franchise 

 

Moss went back to being great and business as usual once he was able to contend for a SB with Bill, Brady, and the Pats.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, grandcanyonaz said:

The amazing thing about him is even when they lose key players they find a way to replace and still win. He takes people off the scrap heap and turns them around (like Randy Moss).

Bill Parcels is another good one. He wins no matter where he goes.

Parcels lost it, I am glad he went to Miami in 2008 after agreeing terms with Falcons.

Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, DawnOfThemBirds said:

 

Headbutting is banned in boxing. Intentional headbutting will result in a disqualification and probably a suspension of a boxer's licenses.

 

The main reasons why the other 2 can result in penalties or suspensions are because those are acts of cheating. An offensive lineman holding a pass rusher is cheating, which is the reason why it gets penalized.

 

Refs are meant to officiate their respective sports and penalize acts of cheating and make sure both players or teams play within the rules of the sport. They may do a few other things as well depending on which sport.

Again. You don’t understand what cheating is. Under your definition holding and pass interference and face mask is cheating 

Link to post
Share on other sites

BB teams don’t beat themselves you have to beat his teams.

His players do there jobs he sets a plan up week in week out season in season out and the snowball effect turns into an avalanche.

He also indentifies key coaches and off field pieces and keeps them for as long as he can.I’m also positively sure alot of coaches are developed in-house.

He probably does what Bill Walsh used to do coaching wise I got the vision you the coaches teach it and this follows on down the chain.

Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, NeonDeion said:

Again. You don’t understand what cheating is. Under your definition holding and pass interference and face mask is cheating 

 

Those are cheating. That is why they are penalties if caught by the refs man.

 

By holding as an o-lineman, I'm cheating to stop you from getting to my QB or RB because I'm struggling to block you within the rules.

 

By causing pass interference, I'm cheating because I grabbed you before the ball got to you so you didn't even have a chance to catch it. I'm cheating because I'm struggling trying to cover you or preventing a huge catch within the rules.

 

If those weren't cheating like you said, then why would the refs penalize you for it and why there are rules made against them?

 

Those are cheating tactics that can impact the outcome of a play, drive, or even a game.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, DawnOfThemBirds said:

 

Those are cheating. That is why they are penalties if caught by the refs man.

 

By hold as an o-lineman, I'm cheating to stop you from getting to my QB or RB because I'm struggling to block you within the rules.

 

By causing pass interference, I'm cheating because I grabbed you before the ball got to you so you didn't even have a chance to catch it. I'm cheating because I'm struggling trying to cover you or preventing a huge catch within the rules.

 

If those weren't cheating like you said, then why would the refs penalize you for it and why there are rules made against them?

 

Those are cheating tactics that can impact the outcome of a play, drive, or even a game.

LOL. I give up if you call penalties cheating. That’s beyond stupid 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, NeonDeion said:

LOL. I give up if you call penalties cheating. That’s beyond stupid 

 

They are penalties because they are forms of cheating man.

 

It's a penalty because you are getting caught cheating. It's against the rules of competition.

 

Like I mentioned in my last post, what is your definition of cheating?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, kiwifalcon said:

BB teams don’t beat themselves you have to beat his teams.

His players do there jobs he sets a plan up week in week out season in season out and the snowball effect turns into an avalanche.

He also indentifies key coaches and off field pieces and keeps them for as long as he can.I’m also positively sure alot of coaches are developed in-house.

He probably does what Bill Walsh used to do coaching wise I got the vision you the coaches teach it and this follows on down the chain.

The referees would give Julio star treatment if he was a Patriot. There is no way the refs would flag the Patriots like they do us.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, NWFALCON said:

It’d be great if DQ could matures into 2/3 the coach he is. BB wasn’t a great success at the start. 5 of his first 6 seasons were losing seasons. Sure mostly of It was in Cleveland but he started somewhere. 

He did outsmart him for 2/3 of the super bowl as the pats had 3 points. DQ also held Peyton Manning to 8 points in the SB. I don't know what happened to Quinn lately.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, falcons007 said:

His dad was a big inspiration and mentor for him. His dad’s book on football scouting is a great read, though dated. You can see how BB took his dad’s concepts and mastered with his own techniques. The book talks about how to scout, prepare in all phases of the game. What you can and can’t over come. And how good teams remain good for long time. 

And Steve Belichick recommends doing everything possible to get advantage over your opponent. I guess in the 60s and 70s there were probably less rules.

My favorite Steve Belichick quote from his scouting masterpiece:

“Get as much usable information as can be utilized to either (1) help formulate game plans, or (2) better prepare various individual players to either combat the strength, or take advantage of the weaknesses of an individual or opposing team. It appears that if any information obtained does not fall into one of those two categories, then it is useless.”

— Steve Belichick, “Football Scouting Methods”

Link to post
Share on other sites

They are the best for a reason, but they have played Pitt (who looked worse with Ben than Mason somehow), Miami and a Mono-stricken Darnold-less Jets team.

Their schedule is honestly laughable and don't really play a legit team until November unless you count Buffalo which...not sold.

Buf

Was

Giants

Jets

Browns (let's see if the Browns can correct)

Baltimore

Philly

Dal

Hou

KC

Cin

Buf

MIa

We will see how legit they are in November, but smart money will always bet on BB so...

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Knight of God said:

Brady owes his career to BB

 

fight me

One could also say Bill Belichick, the one we know today, owes much of his HC legacy to Tom Brady.

With Drew Bledsoe, a B+ QB, the Patriots won just 5 games in their first 19 weeks under Belichick.  0-2 in Year 2, they only scored over 24 points twice in two years.  
 

Week 3, Tom Brady enters the stage.  En route to finishing 14-3 and defeating the Greatest Show in Turf, Brady leads the offense over 24 points 7 times.

19 Games With Bledsoe in 2000/2001: 16 ppg

Remaining 14 Games With Brady En Route To SB: 25.5 ppg

Link to post
Share on other sites

There are many HC's who pride themselves on their attention to detail. Dan Quinn is definitely one of them, telling the press that over the off-season he had reviewed EVERY SINGLE DEFENSIVE PLAY for the past four or five years. That's thousands of plays. I doubt any other HC or coordinator did one-tenth that amount of research on their respective offensive or defensive scheme history.

But what has that incredible amount of back-study done for the defense? As a layman, I have to confess I see very little that has changed over the first three weeks of the season. Slow starts, sloppy tackling, stupid penalties, very little pass rush and can't get off the field on third down. Sounds very familiar to me.

Belichick is a cut above Quinn and everybody else because after he's analyzed, he has the ability and the smarts to break it all down and truly understand exactly what the facts are telling him about how to proceed in to the next season or next game. It's his ability to translate all the variables and then apply what he learns into concrete, actionable steps to keep his defense playing at a high level. In other words, with Belichick, it IS rocket science...and he's the only rocket scientist HC in the NFL.  :lol:

Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, athell said:

They are the best for a reason, but they have played Pitt (who looked worse with Ben than Mason somehow), Miami and a Mono-stricken Darnold-less Jets team.

Their schedule is honestly laughable and don't really play a legit team until November unless you count Buffalo which...not sold.

Buf

Was

Giants

Jets

Browns (let's see if the Browns can correct)

Baltimore

Philly

Dal

Hou

KC

Cin

Buf

MIa

We will see how legit they are in November, but smart money will always bet on BB so...

Bills are 3-0.  We will see how legit tomorrow.

But a string of games playing the Browns, Ravens, Eagles, Cowboys, Texans & Chiefs is a tough 6 game stretch

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, PokerSteve said:

There are many HC's who pride themselves on their attention to detail. Dan Quinn is definitely one of them, telling the press that over the off-season he had reviewed EVERY SINGLE DEFENSIVE PLAY for the past four or five years. That's thousands of plays. I doubt any other HC or coordinator did one-tenth that amount of research on their respective offensive or defensive scheme history.

But what has that incredible amount of back-study done for the defense? As a layman, I have to confess I see very little that has changed over the first three weeks of the season. Slow starts, sloppy tackling, stupid penalties, very little pass rush and can't get off the field on third down. Sounds very familiar to me.

Belichick is a cut above Quinn and everybody else because after he's analyzed, he has the ability and the smarts to break it all down and truly understand exactly what the facts are telling him about how to proceed in to the next season or next game. It's his ability to translate all the variables and then apply what he learns into concrete, actionable steps to keep his defense playing at a high level. In other words, with Belichick, it IS rocket science...and he's the only rocket scientist HC in the NFL.  :lol:

Great post.  I think Belichick is the best teacher in NFL history.  He knows how to break down complex things and can teach the message simply and effectively.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...