FalconsIn2012

Honest Question: How Much Better is Belichick Than Everyone Else?

102 posts in this topic

11 minutes ago, PokerSteve said:

There are many HC's who pride themselves on their attention to detail. Dan Quinn is definitely one of them, telling the press that over the off-season he had reviewed EVERY SINGLE DEFENSIVE PLAY for the past four or five years. That's thousands of plays. I doubt any other HC or coordinator did one-tenth that amount of research on their respective offensive or defensive scheme history.

But what has that incredible amount of back-study done for the defense? As a layman, I have to confess I see very little that has changed over the first three weeks of the season. Slow starts, sloppy tackling, stupid penalties, very little pass rush and can't get off the field on third down. Sounds very familiar to me.

Belichick is a cut above Quinn and everybody else because after he's analyzed, he has the ability and the smarts to break it all down and truly understand exactly what the facts are telling him about how to proceed in to the next season or next game. It's his ability to translate all the variables and then apply what he learns into concrete, actionable steps to keep his defense playing at a high level. In other words, with Belichick, it IS rocket science...and he's the only rocket scientist HC in the NFL.  :lol:

Great post.  I think Belichick is the best teacher in NFL history.  He knows how to break down complex things and can teach the message simply and effectively.  

Big_Dog and PokerSteve like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, FalconsIn2020 said:

Great post.  I think Belichick is the best teacher in NFL history.  He knows how to break down complex things and can teach the message simply and effectively.  

Thank you. That is what I was trying to say in my mountain of verbiage. :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, FalconsIn2020 said:

Bills are 3-0.  We will see how legit tomorrow.

But a string of games playing the Browns, Ravens, Eagles, Cowboys, Texans & Chiefs is a tough 6 game stretch

Yea.  Not buying into the Browns, at least yet.  Eagles either.  Ravens, Cowboys, Texans and Chiefs tho?  I'll be watching :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, athell said:

Yea.  Not buying into the Browns, at least yet.  Eagles either.  Ravens, Cowboys, Texans and Chiefs tho?  I'll be watching :)

Yep. Every time they're supposed to be a powerhouse, they have yet another brown-out. :lol:

athell likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, FalconsIn2020 said:

Great post.  I think Belichick is the best teacher in NFL history.  He knows how to break down complex things and can teach the message simply and effectively.  

That profile pic tho O.o

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, falcons007 said:

His dad was a big inspiration and mentor for him. His dad’s book on football scouting is a great read, though dated. You can see how BB took his dad’s concepts and mastered with his own techniques. The book talks about how to scout, prepare in all phases of the game. What you can and can’t over come. And how good teams remain good for long time. 

And Steve Belichick recommends doing everything possible to get advantage over your opponent. I guess in the 60s and 70s there were probably less rules.

This is it. Belichick plays the game the old way. And wins.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, FalconsIn2020 said:

One could also say Bill Belichick, the one we know today, owes much of his HC legacy to Tom Brady.

With Drew Bledsoe, a B+ QB, the Patriots won just 5 games in their first 19 weeks under Belichick.  0-2 in Year 2, they only scored over 24 points twice in two years.  
 

Week 3, Tom Brady enters the stage.  En route to finishing 14-3 and defeating the Greatest Show in Turf, Brady leads the offense over 24 points 7 times.

19 Games With Bledsoe in 2000/2001: 16 ppg

Remaining 14 Games With Brady En Route To SB: 25.5 ppg

That's because Brady played into Belicheck's system. Bledsoe didn't. I use to watch those games and Belichick would be upset with Bledsoe all the time. Parcells spoiled Bledsoe.

FalconsIn2012 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Flying Falcon said:

That's because Brady played into Belicheck's system. Bledsoe didn't. I use to watch those games and Belichick would be upset with Bledsoe all the time. Parcells spoiled Bledsoe.

Exactly. BB built a winning culture and Dynasty. It wasn’t Brady, Ty law talked about how they all built the dynasty under BB in his HOF speech.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Flying Falcon said:

This is it. Belichick plays the game the old way. And wins.

Not just old way. I think he stuck to his core beliefs and adapted to the changes in game every year. I do think having a dad is helpful, look at Shanny.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

He did outsmart him for 2/3 of the super bowl as the pats had 3 points. DQ also held Peyton Manning to 8 points in the SB. I don't know what happened to Quinn lately.

I don’t know if it’s the players not playing their potential but the game plans are there. 16 missed tackles isn’t on him. 

I think he can turn It around but it’s whether he can mute the outside noise and either get dudes to respond to coaching or send them packing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, NWFALCON said:

I don’t know if it’s the players not playing their potential but the game plans are there. 16 missed tackles isn’t on him. 

I think he can turn It around but it’s whether he can mute the outside noise and either get dudes to respond to coaching or send them packing. 

yeah. Our fan base needs to chill. That causes falcons front office to make knee jerk decisions. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not a Patriots fan but I admire the way they handle business Belichick and Brady are the greatest QB/Coach tandem in league history. That team has been competitive for 2 decades so to answer the OP light years ahead. The Hoodie is coaching royalty...…. Ringlife……… Get you one

Edited by Diggable Birds

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, DawnOfThemBirds said:

 

Yeah, the Big Tuna started becoming old, grumpy, and stale in Dallas.

 

He was awful for that Dolphins front office.

Horrible office guy but an excellent head coach.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, FalconsIn2020 said:

One could also say Bill Belichick, the one we know today, owes much of his HC legacy to Tom Brady.

With Drew Bledsoe, a B+ QB, the Patriots won just 5 games in their first 19 weeks under Belichick.  0-2 in Year 2, they only scored over 24 points twice in two years.  
 

Week 3, Tom Brady enters the stage.  En route to finishing 14-3 and defeating the Greatest Show in Turf, Brady leads the offense over 24 points 7 times.

19 Games With Bledsoe in 2000/2001: 16 ppg

Remaining 14 Games With Brady En Route To SB: 25.5 ppg

On any other team, Brady wouldn’t even be in the league. Fight me

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/27/2019 at 7:16 PM, jlrfalcon said:

Him and Brady are a single entity at this point, one will not retire unless the other one wants to.

I think Bill is waiting for the chance to do it without Brady. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

All the other coaches appear to be morons compared to Bill Bellicheck. Tom Coughlin gave him problems though.

Funny cause Bill appeared to be a moron when he was in Cleveland cutting and getting rid of stars.  Just like his buddy is doing in Miami and getting crucified for. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He is excellent at focusing on one game at a time, and every season starts 0-0. Too many teams look ahead, he gets the Pats set on winning the next game and that's all.

Also very good at playing to strengths and attacking your weaknesses. Sometimes the offense is high passing and other times run heavy. He can analyse so well and make adjustments.

I don't think his drafting has been that impressive, but he coaches so well and makes good free agent signings at the cheaper end. Never overpays for a player, values draft picks in bulk for flexibility.

Also into analytics more than he lets on. They've been doing that for years as others catch up. Half the teams in the league shoot themselves in the foot and he capitalizes on that.

Yes, there's questions over cheating, and I do think he pushes that as far as he can.

People say Michael Holley's book 'Patriot reign' is good, but I thought Pepper Johnson's 'Won for All' gave good insight into the Patriot Way.

Ergo Proxy and FalconsIn2012 like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NWFALCON said:

Funny cause Bill appeared to be a moron when he was in Cleveland cutting and getting rid of stars.  Just like his buddy is doing in Miami and getting crucified for. 

Bill’s time in  Cleveland was tragically unappreciated.  Over a 3 year period between 92-94, their defense allowed just 16 ppg.  If they had learned to play the pattern Match Cover 3 in ‘94 they likely would have beaten Pittsburgh and gotten to a SB.  Remove the Steelers games and they allowed just 10 ppg on the season.

lee sunset likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BlazerSlayer said:

He is excellent at focusing on one game at a time, and every season starts 0-0. Too many teams look ahead, he gets the Pats set on winning the next game and that's all.

Also very good at playing to strengths and attacking your weaknesses. Sometimes the offense is high passing and other times run heavy. He can analyse so well and make adjustments.

I don't think his drafting has been that impressive, but he coaches so well and makes good free agent signings at the cheaper end. Never overpays for a player, values draft picks in bulk for flexibility.

Also into analytics more than he lets on. They've been doing that for years as others catch up. Half the teams in the league shoot themselves in the foot and he capitalizes on that.

Yes, there's questions over cheating, and I do think he pushes that as far as he can.

People say Michael Holley's book 'Patriot reign' is good, but I thought Pepper Johnson's 'Won for All' gave good insight into the Patriot Way.

Great post.  I love this quote from Peyton Manning: 

 

Former assistant Jeff Davidson has remarked that Belichick could coach every spot on the field as well as any position coach. Former rival quarterback Peyton Manning, who has become friendly with Belichick from rounds in charity golf tournaments, says he dismantles player weaknesses like tinker toys. Manning has tried to quiz him about various great players he has faced.

“What I came away with is that he’s not that impressed with anybody,” Manning says. “I remember telling my dad once, ‘I hope nobody ever asks Bill about me because I don’t want to hear what he says.’ ”

Ergo Proxy and BlazerSlayer like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here’s the difference:

Patriot’s international player has meaningful snaps at fullback.

Ours is still trying to connect the dots on converting his Rugby skills over to the American game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now