Let's Talk Facts, Football and the Falcons

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There are a TON of emotional thoughts being presented as facts on this board right now. A bunch of "This is how I feel so it has to be true" comments. It's not over reaction Monday any more. But folks

This thread will get overrun by the Drama Queens, but very well said.  The play on the field has been frustrating no doubt, but they look like they are poised to break out if they can get out of their

Cute. Went to the playoffs and won in 2017. Then had the entire middle of the defense gutted in 2018. If you believe DQ was ready to play Jordan Richards going into that year, then go for it. 

I'm rarely one to side with Aaron, but he's dropping more facts. The Falcons had that 13 penalty game versus the Packers and turned around and had 10 penalties combined the next two games. 

But let some tell it here, DQ isn't a coach who cares about discipline and can't get his team to respond. If he could get a 4-9 team to respond in December out of playoff contention, assuming he can't get a 1-2 team to respond in September is juvenile. 

1 hour ago, KRUNKuno said:

Texans has the 3rd rated defense last year...

Colts were 10th

Falcons have the #8 defense thru 3 games bro. Probably would’ve been a little higher if takk didn’t blow his assignment and let Mack get the big run to seal the game. After the first game the run D was in the 20’s. Now it’s #12. 

My two biggest things that concern me the most right now is this secondary and running freeman into the ground so early in the season. I think a better way to use him is easing him on slowly so that he's fresher than most throughout as we hit that ending stretch. Giving him the lions share of snaps is not going to last imo the whole season.  

Theres a huge element we're missing in the run game and thats some real power. Sometimes as the blocking gets up to speed having a back that can really push the pile and fall forward for extra yards circumvents the running game from being so hot and cold. We have 2 big hog mollies at guard and a big physical back but we're neglecting to use that.

Whatever the **** they got going on in the slot needs to be hashed out ASAP. Our DB's other than Tru look slow and I know Scheffield got some wheels but he's lower down the depth chart so he's not seeing the field much. Even when we had Neal out there we were doing a poor job at covering TE's but now I feel like that will be a thorn in our side for a while. Please don't mention Campbell..he can't cover anything more than the occasional Rb to save his life.

6 minutes ago, E. T. said:

Fact.... So far, the Falcons are undefeated at home. 

I'm willing to give them a little more benefit, but DAM I hope this fugly looking sloppiness gets corrected soon!

Yeah its been ugly at times....but its still early....nothing wrong with people being upset but its not panic time...

We have everything we need right now..clean up the mistakes and we should be ok...

I just hope we not having this discussion in week 8

14 minutes ago, Jerz #Quinning said:

My two biggest things that concern me the most right now is this secondary and running freeman into the ground so early in the season. I think a better way to use him is easing him on slowly so that he's fresher than most throughout as we hit that ending stretch. Giving him the lions share of snaps is not going to last imo the whole season.  

Theres a huge element we're missing in the run game and thats some real power. Sometimes as the blocking gets up to speed having a back that can really push the pile and fall forward for extra yards circumvents the running game from being so hot and cold. We have 2 big hog mollies at guard and a big physical back but we're neglecting to use that.

Whatever the **** they got going on in the slot needs to be hashed out ASAP. Our DB's other than Tru look slow and I know Scheffield got some wheels but he's lower down the depth chart so he's not seeing the field much. Even when we had Neal out there we were doing a poor job at covering TE's but now I feel like that will be a thorn in our side for a while. Please don't mention Campbell..he can't cover anything more than the occasional Rb to save his life.

Yea I don't get the rationale behind both Ollison and Hill being inactive. Both look like they'll be active Sunday and I'm banking that it'll force DQ's hand to have at least one active going forward. Barner isn't that good of a returner to have him active over one of those two at RB. 

Kazee has looked real shaky at nickel, which surprises me a little bit. Oliver hasn't been bad but the times he's gotten lax at the tops of routes, he's paid for it. Tru has been completely locked in. Campbell is so frustrating. I'm not the biggest fan because he just seems so clueless on the field. Debo having a bad game was surprising too. He looked so uninterested at times. Stuff like that is why it was so hard to watch. I haven't even gone back and looked at it once after Sunday. I just can't bring myself to do it. 

26 minutes ago, TheFatboi said:

Falcons have the #8 defense thru 3 games bro. Probably would’ve been a little higher if takk didn’t blow his assignment and let Mack get the big run to seal the game. After the first game the run D was in the 20’s. Now it’s #12. 

To me though mate it just doesn’t feel like Quinn can consistently marry all 3 phases together that’s my issue with him.

He’ll fix an issue his side or DK will call a great 2nd half this week but for me we have to see thee above done every week not sporadically like it feels like for too long now.

This is the thing I don’t know what I’m getting week to week.Still trying to workout what our identity is also.

To me it just doesn’t feel like a coherent vision.

1 minute ago, kiwifalcon said:

To me though mate it just doesn’t feel like Quinn can consistently marry all 3 phases together that’s my issue with him.

He’ll fix an issue his side or DK will call a great 2nd half this week but for me we have to see thee above done every week not sporadically like it feels like for too long now.

This is the thing I don’t know what I’m getting week to week.Still trying to workout what our identity is also.

That's true. But it's week three. Yes, some teams are humming. But how many teams have a new OC, DC, and STC? How many are looking like cohesive units? 

I think that's what we're trying to point out. It's week four. Not week fourteen. If they are still having these issues, then count me in. Even then, like I pointed out, the Pats lost 34-10 to the Titans in late November last year. They looked atrocious. Even if it happens late, they need to string together some clean games here in the next 6-8 weeks. 

19 minutes ago, TheFatboi said:

Texans were #22 in scoring defense after 3 weeks last year, #4 at the end of the year.

Until DQ can make the tough decisions like benching Campbell & Matthews when necessary. Standing up for his guys but also disciplining them when it matters most. And giving guys like Larkin, Grace & Ollison a shot instead of leaning on people who's limits we're already well aware of idc what kinda logic you use when it matters most we'll keep finding ways to lack a strong enough identity to pull through in tough moments.

43 minutes ago, vel said:

That's true. But it's week three. Yes, some teams are humming. But how many teams have a new OC, DC, and STC? How many are looking like cohesive units? 

I think that's what we're trying to point out. It's week four. Not week fourteen. If they are still having these issues, then count me in. Even then, like I pointed out, the Pats lost 34-10 to the Titans in late November last year. They looked atrocious. Even if it happens late, they need to string together some clean games here in the next 6-8 weeks. 

I understand they have time.But lord help me if it doesn’t make me feel a little uneasy with the past couple years in mind.

I’m pulling for them I am but it still leaves me a little uneasy when I don’t know what I’m getting though.

1 hour ago, vel said:

Yea I don't get the rationale behind both Ollison and Hill being inactive. Both look like they'll be active Sunday and I'm banking that it'll force DQ's hand to have at least one active going forward. Barner isn't that good of a returner to have him active over one of those two at RB. 

Kazee has looked real shaky at nickel, which surprises me a little bit. Oliver hasn't been bad but the times he's gotten lax at the tops of routes, he's paid for it. Tru has been completely locked in. Campbell is so frustrating. I'm not the biggest fan because he just seems so clueless on the field. Debo having a bad game was surprising too. He looked so uninterested at times. Stuff like that is why it was so hard to watch. I haven't even gone back and looked at it once after Sunday. I just can't bring myself to do it. 

Campbell is frustrating. At first when I noticed he was slow at diagnosing plays I just thought that he needed a bit more development but it seems he has plateaued. He's sometimes a tick late in getting to his gap or picking up the TE/receiver. He has the speed, but it takes a while for him to get going. Mainly his instincts leave a little to be desired. 

I hope kazee can find his niche on the defense.

1 hour ago, kiwifalcon said:

That’s always my gripe. I want everything clicking together. But even that has to be a consistency on the coordinator side. They have to play that way so once the players see how it should be done across the board it carries over. 

What worries me is that are issues are at the same time obvious and consistent under DQ. We’ve always had extended periods of undisciplined play on both sides of the ball. We’ve always failed to either recognize what a team’s tendencies are or to counter them. Who didn’t know that we were going to see a heavy dose of zone defense from the colts? Who didn’t know that they would try to get the ball out of Brissett’s hands as quickly as possible? Yet watching the game unfold you’d swear it was a total surprise to DQ and company. At this point I can’t tell whether it’s arrogance or incompetence but I do know that week in week out this team always appears woefully unprepared 

Ive avoided coming here the last 3 weeks, trying to not go off just one game, but after 3 here are the issues I see that give me reason to not be optimistic.

1. Minny beat us running outside. Dont know why philly didnt. But the colts did, and gashed us good.

Quinn is dc. This is an issue. He been here long enough that it shouldnt be an issue. If we get gashed again on outside runs, my belief in quinns ability to call defense will be almost gone.

Defending the run aint hard. Contain, gap discipline. Proper spacing on outside pursuit.

If quinn dont get that fixed...now...it aint gonna be at this point. 

2. Penalties. Stupid penalties. Every punt return is a hold. Almost every outaide run a wr holds.

This shoulda done been fixed. Fact that it aint is on quinn.

3. Ryans ints arent due to him getting pressured. Or deflections. He is forcing the ball on 1st and 2nd down into wrong reads. I could understand trying to make a play on 3rd down. 

Dont know why...but they bad and dont know what the problem is.

4. In running sets...with ryan under center...we have had some goid runs. One of the first pmays against indy freeman got 8 yards behind the right side.

I assumed being that our oline and new coordinator needed time to jell...and had ran well during the preseason...we would run the ball more...especially with Hill.

But we havent. 

Im hoping for the best. We still in the hunt, but if we still making the same stupid mistakes vs the titans.. .my personal outloook for the season is bleak.