Titans, Falcons face off with seasons in peril

birdz4i

ReutersSeptember 26, 2019

Marcus Mariota is well aware that the heat is on and that the Tennessee Titans can't lose much more ground.

The fifth-year quarterback looks to help his club halt a two-game slide when the Titans (1-2) visit the Atlanta Falcons (1-2) on Sunday afternoon.

Tennessee averaged just 12 points in back-to-back losses to the Indianapolis Colts and Jacksonville Jaguars. There was little time for Mariota to thrown in a 20-7 setback against the Jaguars on Sept. 19 as he was sacked nine times, raising the season total to 17.

Mariota accepted part of the blame for the sacks and said he used some of the extra time off to address his footwork and movement.

"If I can do a better job of moving in and around the pocket, I can help our guys up front and deliver the football to our guys to make plays," Mariota told reporters recently. "At any point and time you can get better. Through the course of a year, through training camp, sometimes the fundamentals get lost. And coach (Mike) Vrabel does a great job of reiterating to us to get back to the basics."

Mariota has passed for 706 yards and four touchdowns without being intercepted this season. Still, the sentiment is that the second overall pick in the 2015 NFL Draft is again not living up to his billing -- this time as he plays out the final season of his contract on a fifth-year option worth $20.9 million.

Tight end Delanie Walker hears the chatter around Nashville and wants to remind people that more than one person is responsible for a team's struggles.

"I am very confident in (No.) 8 -- he has been getting it done," Walker told reporters of Mariota, while referring to him by his uniform number. "It is tough being a quarterback in this league -- you take all the blame, no matter what. And that guy, he's not going to say anything about anyone.

"It doesn't matter if someone dropped a pass on third down, or he got sacked multiple times. He is going to just say it was his fault, and he has to do better. And that is the sad part."

The Falcons have issues of their own after suffering a 27-24 road setback against the Indianapolis Colts last Sunday. Atlanta committed 16 penalties for 128 yards.

The defense suffered a huge blow by losing standout safety Keanu Neal for the season with a torn Achilles tendon, and the offense was ineffective in the first half while digging a 17-point deficit.

Quarterback Matt Ryan has topped 300 passing yards in each week but he isn't impressed with his squad's collective play through three games.

"I think everyone is angry with not performing the way we can," Ryan told reporters. "The penalties, the turnovers and those types of things -- we've had too much of that the first couple weeks of the season.

"Those are things we've got to clean up to be a better football team. A lot of them we can control. The procedural stuff -- the pre-snap penalties -- that's on us and that comes down to discipline. We've got to be better across the board as players when we get our chances."

Ryan has already thrown six interceptions -- one shy of last season's total -- to go with 928 yards and eight touchdowns. Tennessee has four interceptions -- two from cornerback Logan Ryan.

Defensively for Atlanta, seventh-year pro Kemal Ishmael will replace Neal in the starting lineup. Ishmael has five career interceptions, the most recent coming in 2015.

Atlanta coach Dan Quinn said there is no way to adequately replace Neal, however.

"I'm heartbroken for him," Quinn said during a news conference. "We'll miss him tremendously but he'll miss it even more. This dude loves football."

Defensive tackle Grady Jarrett (toe), defensive end Takkarist McKinley (knee) and receiver Calvin Ridley (hip) are among the ailing Atlanta players. For Tennessee, Walker (knee) and linebacker Rashaan Evans (wrist) are among the injured players.

The Falcons have won the past two meetings to tie the all-time series at seven wins apiece.

--Field Level Media

https://news.yahoo.com/titans-falcons-face-off-seasons-063026649.html

3 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

1-2 is not a season in peril. I wonder if these bloggers have Phd in Drama.

It's all for attention and stirring up drama. That's why they make a big deal about 0-1 starts. It gets fans riled up. Throw in it being a week long news cycle every time and they get everybody worked up in a frenzy for Sundays. 

5 minutes ago, D.B.N. said:

Have you not  watched the games? Our season definitely has started off on the wrong foot otherwise youre straight up blind. 

I have watched teams start 1-2 and go to SB, heck there are teams which start 0-2 and win the division. Now if this is 1-4 or 1-5, I would say season in peril. 

10 minutes ago, vel said:

It's all for attention and stirring up drama. That's why they make a big deal about 0-1 starts. It gets fans riled up. Throw in it being a week long news cycle every time and they get everybody worked up in a frenzy for Sundays. 

What ever gets them eye balls, clicks and attention. 

Just now, falcons007 said:

I have watched teams start 1-2 and go to SB, heck there are teams which start 0-2 and win the division. Now if this is 1-4 or 1-5, I would say season in peril. 

Alright bro, I admire your optimism. I just don't see it with this team man. This team has shown nothing to prove otherwise - the regression from the SB is apparent. 

Just now, D.B.N. said:

Alright bro, I admire your optimism. I just don't see it with this team man. This team has shown nothing to prove otherwise - the regression from the SB is apparent. 

It’s not about this team. It’s just the way NFL parity is recently. You see 4-0, heck even 6-0 teams fizzle out. Some teams take time to put I together. Buckle up and enjoy.

18 minutes ago, vel said:

We can survive 1-2.  I’d be concerned at 1-3 though, especially with losses to Tenn & a team without their two best players in the Cots.  Would have to finish winning 9 of 12 games

9 minutes ago, D.B.N. said:

Yea this team could be 3-0 right now after having some lucky breaks and I'd still say they won't make the playoffs due to how bad they have played in every single facet of the game.

The fact they look this bad AND are 1-2 pretty much says to me they are done. A team playing this bad doesn't make comebacks and turn things around over night.

26 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

1-2 is not a season in peril. I wonder if these bloggers have Phd in Drama.

When you start out like the Falcons did with the Vikings,  follow it up with a good game, then follow that up with a game where the other team essentially scores at will....

Yeah things are not going to look good.

If they would have lost the Eagles game.  Oh boy.  We're talking full Hindenburgh.

Also it usually takes about 4 games to really understand what your team is.

Both these teams have had 1 good performance with 2 bad/really bad ones.  Even if they have a good one the next game you're still not sure what the team is.

In the past special Falcon teams have done something special by the 4th game.  In 2012 and 2016 they did it several times.  This team has done the opposite.

I think the worry is the ceiling is closer to the 8 win range rather than the 13.  Average and not special.

5 minutes ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

When you start out like the Falcons did with the Vikings,  follow it up with a good game, then follow that up with a game where the other team doesn't score on one drive....

If they would have lost the Eagles game.  Oh boy.  We're talking full Hindenburgh.

Both these teams have had 1 good performance with 2 bad/really bad ones.  Even if they have a good one the next game you're still not sure what the team is.

In the past special Falcon teams have done something special by the 4th game.  In 2012 and 2016 they did it several times.  This team has done the opposite.

I think the worry is the ceiling is closer to the 8 win range rather than the 13.  Average and not special.

I'm not even sure I'd call the Eagles games a "Good" performance either. They showed a number of the same issues they have all year even in that win.

Just now, Sun Tzu 7 said:

When you start out like the Falcons did with the Vikings,  follow it up with a good game, then follow that up with a game where the other team essentially scores at will....

Average is worse than terrible. 

1 minute ago, MAD597 said:

Yea this team could be 3-0 right now after having some lucky breaks and I'd still say they won't make the playoffs due to how bad they have played in every single facet of the game.

The fact they look this bad AND are 1-2 pretty much says to me they are done. A team playing this bad doesn't make comebacks and turn things around over night.

Yup, completely agree. We have looked horrible. Insane amount of penalties and just overall sloppy play. I just don't see this team turning anything around this year. 

3 minutes ago, FalconsIn2020 said:

We can survive 1-2.  I’d be concerned at 1-3 though, especially with losses to Tenn & a team without their two best players in the Cots.  Would have to finish winning 9 of 12 games

It's not about the record, a tough bruising disciplined team that had some bad luck and went 1-2 or 1-3 I could see and get behind coming back from.

A dumpster fire team that is undisciplined, commits a penalty every play, has no running game and can't stop the run and turns the ball over to much even at 3-0 I'd say they have serious issues.

Combine this dumspter fire team and add them being 1-2 or 1-3 and you can forget about post season.

Just now, SexualChocolate said:

Why is that funny?

You tell me. This team is in the tier of "laughing stock" teams. No teams take us seriously. How could you? I mean dang, the Colts said everything went according to plan. We scare no one. The "soft" monniker has followed this team for as long as I can remember. We've always been a "finesse", undersized team. So that's why its funny. When we lose sunday, I will laugh. Because that's all we can do - laugh-  at this joke of a football team.