Let's Talk About: How To Give Up 300 Yds Passing To A Running Team

I'm normally the eternal optimist, but these 2019 Falcons are trying me.  It's one thing to be a bad football team.  I've seen plenty of that.  I have no problem just disconnecting and taking it for what it is, but it's another thing to see a talented team get beat because they are their own worst enemy.  And that's the long and short of what I saw Sunday.  The Colts didn't come out and throw a whole bunch of unscouted looks at us; they were doing basic stuff that we should have been able to neutralize if we had just executed our fundamentals the way we did the week before vs. Philly.

I don't think there was another play all day long that made me want to vomit more than this one right here.

3rd and 12 - midfield, early in the second quarter.  Colts don't really push the ball down the field so this should be easy, right?  DQ actually calls up a nice play.  We only have two down lineman with Takk and Vic both mugging the line along with Deion.  All three are going to drop and Campbell and Kazee are coming off the slots -- like a double nickel blitz.  Up top we are playing in a rare two deep shell.  It's actually a nicely designed play.

IMG_1139

At the snap we bail.  As you can see, Brissett's first look is to get it out quick to #15, but 3rd and 12, he knows he's protected, he passes him up to look downfield.  The running back is in a check release.  He's going to check to see if his man is coming.  Usually he's scanning inside out.  If he's picked up, he releases into his route.

IMG_1141

Now here is where it gets interesting.  We got everything covered up, so Brissett dumps it off underneath, which is exactly what you want when you play Cover-2.  You want the QB to check the ball down underneath.  You'll give up these little 5 yard dump offs all game.  Let the back catch it underneath then smack the s*** out  him.  You wanna hit him so many times he's going back to the huddle cursing out his QB, telling him he better not throw him another one.  You aren't going to get beat by check downs... UNLESS you decide to tackle like a bunch of keystone cops.

Ball is caught, and right here, we are actually in pretty good position.  You see how well we're spaced to constrict ground to the ball carrier.

IMG_1143

This right here is where it starts to go bad.  The spacing still isn't terrible, but Vic... VICTOR RAMON BEASLEY JR!  Bro!  He needs to be coming to balance right here.  Stop chasing and come to balance, and get ready to make that tackle, or let the back run himself into the pursuit.

IMG_1144

And this is where it turns into a clown show.  Vic completely over-ran the play and opened the back door.  He should have a foot at the 45 yard line.  When Quinn talks about trusting the man next to you and playing just your leverage -- well this is the opposite of all that.

IMG_1146

Details.  Fundamentals.  It's not a big thing I'm talking about, but it absolutely adds up to being the difference between a win or a loss.  This is how you wind up forcing 1 punt in an entire game.  It's not scheme.  It's not talent.  It's a total lack of discipline.  And DQ... can we please stop getting cute and playing Vic in space?  It don't work.  

3bjwl2.gif

... and that dude didn't make that 1st down.

Edited by PeytonMannings Forehead

I keep trying to hope Vic will un-dumbazz himself and DQ can clean up this sort of brain diarrhea, but that light at the end of the tunnel is dimming, HARD. It's almost like DQ just refuses to accept what he has with certain players and keeps trying to be cute with deception stuff...I like the idea in terms of mixing things up, but for someone who talks a LOT about featuring players to their strengths, he sure as heck seems to have a crap learning curve with it sometimes.

/rant

:lol:

Yep this play is keystone cops alright.

I almost get that DQ has drummed into these guys to play fast and react they almost lose perspective on when and where they need to use there speed.

Yet like this gif shows the players are there to make the play there playing fast but over committed and no one gets anything.

To me there’s just a disconnect of being what’s been said and how these guys play.They get to the point and the look they want defensively and have trouble finishing.

Cake no icing.

Man... That play frustrated me because of this exact thing. Poor pursuit. You can coach it all you want but if a player just does his own thing, you can't blame the coach. Vic was not ready to pursue at all. Once the ball was thrown, you see him let up and assume it's out of his job to pursue. Then because he's late, he's not ready for anything... Smh

Here's another one.  I don't even feel like doing no pictures for this... We're in our Cover-3 Mable, which is our Cover-3 adjustment when an offense goes 3x1.  We play man to the single receiver side, and push the Cover-3 to the 3 receiver side.

Here the Colts run a kind of orbit motion deal and for some reason, we react like we've never seen such a thing before.  Colts to the trips side run a switch concept where the outside receiver runs a kind of post to draw Trufant who is playing deep, then the inside receiver runs a wheel route right behind him.

For some reason, Kazee jumps the back instead of playing his assignment, which is to match that wheel route and it's about as easy a throw as you can get.

vJA_nB.gif

Discipline.  Just plain ole discipline.  Do YOUR job.  Those two plays alone led to 10 points.

31 minutes ago, SPITFIRE said:

@PeytonMannings Forehead do you need access to all 22 ?

Hey, I sure wouldn't turn it down, bro.  Lord, help me though, I probably wouldn't get any actual work done for the rest of the season.

27 minutes ago, athell said:

Love you PMF, but let's not talk about how to give up 300 yards passing to a running team k?

:bang:

I was thinking of taking a pass on these this week, but I just had to get these off my chest.  Hopefully, we don't make a habit out of this mess.

2 minutes ago, Atlantafan21 said:

On a positive note, we gave up less than 90 yards to a running team....

:lol: kinda like the opposite of what we did against the Vikings. :angry:

@PeytonMannings Forehead Thanks for the breakdowns.  I've been critical in the past, but your posts are very insightful and thoughtful.  It's appreciated.

I agree with everything above, but what do you think is the root cause of these breakdowns?  I was giving the coaching staff (Quinn) the benefit of the doubt, but if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck...

Lack of fundamentals and now the penalties are two really big red flags.  Sure, you can correct some of these things, but poorly run and practiced fundamentals that lead to breakdowns and penalties are indicative of something deeper.  I'm not sure that is correctable with the current environment.  The next two games, I believe, will tell the tale of this season.

16 minutes ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

Here's another one.  I don't even feel like doing no pictures for this... We're in our Cover-3 Mable, which is our Cover-3 adjustment when an offense goes 3x1.  We play man to the single receiver side, and push the Cover-3 to the 3 receiver side.

Here the Colts run a kind of orbit motion deal and for some reason, we react like we've never seen such a thing before.  Colts to the trips side run a switch concept where the outside receiver runs a kind of post to draw Trufant who is playing deep, then the inside receiver runs a wheel route right behind him.

For some reason, Kazee jumps the back instead of playing his assignment, which is to match that wheel route and it's about as easy a throw as you can get.

vJA_nB.gif

Discipline.  Just plain ole discipline.  Do YOUR job.  Those two plays alone led to 10 points.

BuT Rico Is oVerRated and KaZee iS sOoO mUch beTTer aNd shOuld stArt BecaUse he Got 7 piCks LaSt YeAr.

Don't get me wrong, I like Kazee and this is in no way a Rico vs. Kazee comparison. I'm just tired of these dumb hot takes that have no real substance.

20 minutes ago, schwarzenegger321 said:

@PeytonMannings Forehead Thanks for the breakdowns.  I've been critical in the past, but your posts are very insightful and thoughtful.  It's appreciated.

I agree with everything above, but what do you think is the root cause of these breakdowns?  I was giving the coaching staff (Quinn) the benefit of the doubt, but if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck...

Lack of fundamentals and now the penalties are two really big red flags.  Sure, you can correct some of these things, but poorly run and practiced fundamentals that lead to breakdowns and penalties are indicative of something deeper.  I'm not sure that is correctable with the current environment.  The next two games, I believe, will tell the tale of this season.

I can't let anyone off the hook.  It's definitely coaching.  We got rid of every coordinator in the offseason which implied that they were the problem, yet we're still seeing a lot of the same issues popping up.  

It's also definitely players.  These are pros and at a certain point, when you look at any team that has ever won big, the players took ownership over what was going on.  They policed the locker room.  They got on guys.  They didn't wait for coaches to say something.  I expect more pride and professionalism to get this stuff ironed out.  And that guy may not be the best player but he commands respect and can pull guys aside or gather the team and tell everyone to get their heads out of their ***es and get going.  Judging by the comments of Rico, we don't have that alpha dog in the locker room.

I can't imagine Ray Lewis letting things get so flat in a practice that it takes the coaches saying something to get 'em going. I can't imagine a Rod Woodson, or a Joey Porter, or a Kam Chancellor, or any number of guys not stepping up and holding guys accountable for this type of mess.

We're sorely lacking in leadership.  The coaching has let this go on for too long, and the players most definitely ain't doing their part.  Everyone has to own this.

1 hour ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

vJA_nB.gif

Basic stuff. This is exactly why I have a hard time blaming DQ fully. This is a coverage they run every day. Who is Kazee passing the WR to? Yes, the WR sold it pretty decently, he's the second man through that zone. That's your man at that point. But he's trying to do somebody else's job and it's pitch and catch. Kazee just does his job and it's probably 3 instead of 7. 

48 minutes ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

It's also definitely players.  These are pros and at a certain point, when you look at any team that has ever won big, the players took ownership over what was going on.  They policed the locker room.  They got on guys.  They didn't wait for coaches to say something.  I expect more pride and professionalism to get this stuff ironed out.  And that guy may not be the best player but he commands respect and can pull guys aside or gather the team and tell everyone to get their heads out of their ***es and get going.  Judging by the comments of Rico, we don't have that alpha dog in the locker room.

I can't imagine Ray Lewis letting things get so flat in a practice that it takes the coaches saying something to get 'em going. I can't imagine a Rod Woodson, or a Joey Porter, or a Kam Chancellor, or any number of guys not stepping up and holding guys accountable for this type of mess.

We're sorely lacking in leadership.  The coaching has let this go on for too long, and the players most definitely ain't doing their part.  Everyone has to own this.

Is there even anyone on the team is capable of filling that role though?  It seems that most of our primary defensive players are on rookie contracts or just extended ones.

Edited by JeffAtl

3 minutes ago, vel said:

Basic stuff. This is exactly why I have a hard time blaming DQ fully. This is a coverage they run every day. Who is Kazee passing the WR to? Yes, the WR sold it pretty decently, he's the second man through that zone. That's your man at that point. But he's trying to do somebody else's job and it's pitch and catch. Kazee just does his job and it's probably 3 instead of 7. 

Kazee went for gold. He wants an INT so badly he was ready to jump the route.

18 minutes ago, FalconsIn2020 said:

The screenshot showing a triangle bracket around the receiver is tragic.  At that point Vegas odds would be 100-1 he is tackled for a 5-8 yard gain.

Viv has been solid the first two weeks, but despite recording .5 sack Vs the Colts was terrible.  Just running around without thinking or having a plan of attack

Yep. I know I've said it multiple times, but this is why I keep coming back to the players. Vic has been playing football for decades now. Years of experience tackling in the open field. No he's not the greatest, but that was just plain old lack of thinking. 

5 minutes ago, JeffAtl said:

Is there even anyone on the team is capable of filling that role though?  It seems that most of our primary defensive players are on rookie contracts or just extended ones.

Nope. It should be Debo but he's a nice guy who likes to have fun. It's not usually a DL so no Grady. None of our secondary guys are that. Rico is a leader, but he's not that DAWG that you unquestioned will listen to and follow. It's a bunch of talented guys with no leader. 

5 minutes ago, kiwifalcon said:

PMF your hitting the nail on the head here Kazee blew that coverage and postered his LBer who had the RB covered but what would make Kazee jump like that.

He had similar issues playing FS last year.

Chasing cheese. That play is designed for that exact reason. Trufant has to carry the post, which vacates that deep third. But with the following route, Kazee should carry him vertical and not chase the flat route because that's the third route through that area at that point. He should be gone and Debo should be carrying him like he did. Kazee got lazy in his rules looking to make a play that wasn't his to make and got beat for it.