Ricardo Allen: Falcons' defense needs discipline, not Superman

Goober Pyle

4 hours ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

:lol: I love Rico. He gone tell it all. :lol:

Two days. Two comments that confirm what a lot of us already knew. 

It ain’t scheme. It ain’t a lack of talent. It’s discipline. It’s fundamentals. Guys aren’t doing basic stuff and that’s a serious indictment of everyone from the coaches to the players not being pros and policing that themselves.

:angry: I need to stop because I’m getting heated all over again.

DQ it’s time to sit some guys, and it’s time to simplify the gameplan even more. If we got to run two coverages and one front, so be it.

If only sitting guys were the answer...  the bigger problem is that the HC and/or DC has fostered an environment which has produced this omnipresent epidemic level of undisciplined play/plays/players. 

Having the guy responsible for poisoning you then magically become the doctor that cures you, preferably in a week mind you, is simply insanity.

Quinn has failed. The team plays to the standard that he has managed to convey to them over multiple seasons... is in fact acceptable.

1 hour ago, m2Falcons said:

If only sitting guys were the answer...  the bigger problem is that the HC and/or DC has fostered an environment which has produced this omnipresent epidemic level of undisciplined play/plays/players. 

Having the guy responsible for poisoning you then magically become the doctor that cures you, preferably in a week mind you, is simply insanity.

Quinn has failed. The team plays to the standard that he has managed to convey to them over multiple seasons... is in fact acceptable.

If it were a high school team, I'd buy that but these are grown men getting paid pretty dang well.  If they need their hands held to that level then it's a personnel selection issue...

5 hours ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

It ain’t scheme. It ain’t a lack of talent. It’s discipline. It’s fundamentals. Guys aren’t doing basic stuff and that’s a serious indictment of everyone from the coaches to the players not being pros and policing that themselves.

DQ it’s time to sit some guys, and it’s time to simplify the gameplan even more. If we got to run two coverages and one front, so be it.

Yep. Basic stuff. Rico is telling it like it is. DQ can sugar coat it but players aren't playing to their potential. He didn't have the greatest gameplan, admittedly, but some of it could have been fixed with players just doing their jobs. Consistently, they didn't.

29 minutes ago, capologist said:

If it were a high school team, I'd buy that but these are grown men getting paid pretty dang well.  If they need their hands held to that level then it's a personnel selection issue...

I’m referring directly to the factor of “Effective Leadership” and its results.

There are football coaches at all levels, even in today’s times, that have disciplined teams/players. 

Its not just a personnel issue.

16 hours ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

Who do you feel is free lancing?

22 hours ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

It was across the board. Oliver played well, then got grabby at the wrong time.

The first touchdown pass given up, I didn’t see who the two guys were, but two guys followed the fake screen and left the wheel route behind it open for an easy catch. 

I thought our linebackers were slow to read their keys, and you already pointed out Campbell.

We didn’t give up a ton of yards on the ground, but once again we lost the edges at the wrong time, then there were too many early yards we allowed up the middle, which of course allowed easy throws to convert. 

Guys weren’t getting off blocks. Tackling took a big step back this week. We’d make hits on these little 5 yard checkdowns and the receiver would fall forward for an extra two, three yards.

And the leverages... the leverages were terrible. We were overrunning stuff, not caging the runner in space properly. Pretty much every good thing we did on defense against the Eagles was missing.

And all that before I get to the coordinator — Vic in space again missing tackles. Adrian Clayborn peeling off in coverage against a running back meaning we were only rushing three and allowed Brissett to hold the ball fovever then run for the first down.

It was all around bad.

Campbell was slow as FFFF on that 2nd and 15 where they threw a simple drag route to a TE and the TE casually jogged all the way to a 1st down...  It was pathetic

18 hours ago, vel said:

Yep. Basic stuff. Rico is telling it like it is. DQ can sugar coat it but players aren't playing to their potential. He didn't have the greatest gameplan, admittedly, but some of it could have been fixed with players just doing their jobs. Consistently, they didn't.

Funny hearing Rico spout all this when he’s already been penalized and fined for unnecessary roughness, and had 3 unnecessary roughness penalties in 17, one pass interference and an illegal block above the waist.

the PI ones? I give a pass. The other four and the one he just got were quite justified, despite his appeal

Neal btw only had one unnecessary roughness in 17 the last time both really played

1 minute ago, MSalmon said:

Funny hearing Rico spout all this when he’s already been penalized and fined for unnecessary roughness, and had 3 unnecessary roughness penalties in 17, one pass interference and an illegal block above the waist.

the PI ones? I give a pass. The other four and the one he just got were quite justified, despite his appeal

That hit on Hilton was not. That was such a bad call. Hilton was a runner at that point and braced for the hit, which lowered the strike zone while Rico was already in the correct position. 

I'd rather the unnecessary roughness penalties than playing soft. Take Vic for example. Give me the hit on the QB and the penalty over him pulling up. It's a physical, violent sport. Unnecessary roughness will happen. 

8 minutes ago, vel said:

That hit on Hilton was not. That was such a bad call. Hilton was a runner at that point and braced for the hit, which lowered the strike zone while Rico was already in the correct position. 

I'd rather the unnecessary roughness penalties than playing soft. Take Vic for example. Give me the hit on the QB and the penalty over him pulling up. It's a physical, violent sport. Unnecessary roughness will happen. 

I can’t support the bolded.  This is the a Falcons.  You know full well the pass would fall incomplete and what should have been a 4th down and punt ends up a 1st down and points given up

13 minutes ago, vel said:

Lol no , you're saying this after sunday ?? Give a free 15 yards to the offense ?? Rico lowered his head period,  that's a penalty. You can't lower your head. He lowered with the crown but didnt him with the crown. That's a penalty , Ricardo has way too many penalties 

5 minutes ago, FalconsIn2020 said:

I can’t support the bolded.  This is the a Falcons.  You know full well the pass would fall incomplete and what should have been a 4th down and punt ends up a 1st down and points given up

Nope. You can teach a guy to pull up. Can't teach a guy to play through the whistle. I'll take those and weather it through the season. 

30 minutes ago, vel said:

Respectfully, I disagree. I’m all for tough play. He’s made seriously dumb unnecessary roughness penalties throughout his career. And to your point of not playing soft, I don’t see anyone fearing rico. 

Id almost go with you on the edge guy smacking a QB to the point of fear or injury and taking the 15 yarder. But the DB one? I didn’t find that, or rico’s Penalties in past that intimidating.

look, I’m old school, clothesline’s were the norm in high school when I played. I still hurt from meaningful violence in non-meaningful games. I don’t regret it, either, but the game has changed.

but back on topic, rico is calling out folks when he’s a main culprit of such dumb penalties historically and even had one this season already. That’s not great leadership, that’s *** kissing bootlicking, holier than thou horse****

14 minutes ago, caponine said:

Lol no , you're saying this after sunday ?? Give a free 15 yards to the offense ?? Rico lowered his head period,  that's a penalty. You can't lower your head. He lowered with the crown but didnt him with the crown. That's a penalty , Ricardo has way too many penalties 

Lol yes you can. What do you think you're doing when you're lowering your shoulder? You just can't lead with the crown of the helmet. That hit on Hilton was a soft, ticky tack foul.

Just now, caponine said:

He was leading with his shoulder. Then Hilton bracing for the hit brings his head down into Rico's helmet. You can't criticize this hit but then praise the hit on Agholor vs PHI. That's how I see it. Some plays will be called that are questionable. Some won't. Look at the hit Jamal Adams put on Mayfield that got called a penalty the other day. I don't agree with it but you can't tell Adams to play a different kind of way. Same with Neal before he went down. He's going to get penalties for destroying guys over the middle but that's what he was drafted to do. 

On 9/25/2019 at 9:07 AM, Da_Truth said:

Allen doesn't have room to criticize anyone or anything.  He may be the on-field backfield coach, but he misses tackles, gets ran over and is a step late covering over top as well. Kazee showed he was faster to the ball by the number of interceptions he jumped last season.  Why put Allen back there when he clearly wasn't the best at the position?  Why not put Allen at the nickel position?  The decisions this coaching staff makes is not sound at all.

Ha ha da truth

12 minutes ago, MSalmon said:

Respectfully, I disagree. I’m all for tough play. He’s made seriously dumb unnecessary roughness penalties throughout his career. And to your point of not playing soft, I don’t see anyone fearing rico. 

Id almost go with you on the edge guy smacking a QB to the point of fear or injury and taking the 15 yarder. But the DB one? I didn’t find that, or rico’s Penalties in past that intimidating.

look, I’m old school, clothesline’s were the norm in high school when I played. I still hurt from meaningful violence in non-meaningful games. I don’t regret it, either, but the game has changed.

but back on topic, rico is calling out folks when he’s a main culprit of such dumb penalties historically and even had one this season already. That’s not great leadership, that’s *** kissing bootlicking, holier than thou horse****

Rico hasn't had an offsides penalty. That's way more stupid than the ones yall are complaining about with Rico. That's my point. Rico's handful of unnecessary roughness penalties pale in comparison to jumping offsides several times in one game. So yes, him calling players out is valid. Like I said before, don't complain about Rico's penalties and not lump Neal in there as well then. Give me the physical penalties over the elementary penalties. Unnecessary roughness is a bang bang, full speed penalty. Offsides is now. 

1 hour ago, vel said:

Rico hasn't had an offsides penalty. That's way more stupid than the ones yall are complaining about with Rico. That's my point. Rico's handful of unnecessary roughness penalties pale in comparison to jumping offsides several times in one game. So yes, him calling players out is valid. Like I said before, don't complain about Rico's penalties and not lump Neal in there as well then. Give me the physical penalties over the elementary penalties. Unnecessary roughness is a bang bang, full speed penalty. Offsides is now. 

I’ll take little to no penalties. No excuse for Rico, no excuse 

devin McCourty hasn’t had any penalties since 2016. His only unnecessary roughness was in 2010

earl THOMAS had 1 unnecessary roughness in 7 , in in 14 and 2 in 13. That’s it 

zero unnecessary roughness for Kareem Jackson 

one for Eddie Jackson in 18

Harrison Smith, the epitome of physical safeties, had one in 18 one in 13, one in 14 

Sorry, Rico plays sloppy as the rest of the bunch so. 

Is it a DQ thing? A talent thing? The latter isn’t specifically to Rico. 

Bottom line is these things hurt. Heck, if this is normal we should have signed vontaze burfict

On 9/25/2019 at 9:18 AM, sdogg said:

Don’t need Superman, but we do need a competent GM and HC. 

No. You need players to not be a hero. Just do their job. The run that sealed the game takk, AGAIN, abandoned his edge responsibility and gave a gaping hole for Mack on the outside. That is not the coach because he’s been coached to SET THE EFFIN EDGE!! That’s not the GM because he’s sitting by blank. It’s the gotd@mn player trying to be Superman because he thought he could get to the ball carrier early. Instead Mack goes outside and big gain. That is a habit with Takk. He gets greedy. I understand wanting to make a TFL play but NOT at the expense of putting your brothers in bad position. When one player abandons his assignment they leave one of their brothers out to dry. It’s really really really simple. DO YOUR JOB!!! Rico said it without putting anybody under the bus but I know exactly what he meant. Because I watch the game and see all these hero plays that leave another player hanging. On that entire drive I was asking “set the edge”. And they did it until THAT play. If it was another coach and Gm what would the difference be if the player on the field isn’t doing HIS job. There’s no way possible a HC and a GM can be the blame for a player going rogue on a play. Bill Belichik lives by “DO YOUR JOB”. It’s simple. I’ve hear quinn preach do your job. The information is given to the players by Quinn and his staff but if you refuse to just do your responsibility then the only thing quinn can do is bench you. And he SAID that when he said the best way to get a message to a player is to have them standing next to me. Y’all may not catch these strong messages but I heard it loud and clear. Keep f*cking up and you’re gonna be standing next to me on the sideline. And we’ve seen quinn bench players so we know he’ll do it. 

This is what Rico means. And I said this in a thread last week about not trying to be a hero and just do your d@mn job. I don’t know if takk is playing for stats and at this point it’s starting to seem like it because he abandons his assignment WAAAAAY too much. And y’all gotta be fools if you think quinn and his staff aren’t teaching this the right way. It’s the PLAYER. Not the coach. 

On 9/25/2019 at 9:07 AM, Da_Truth said:

Allen doesn't have room to criticize anyone or anything.  He may be the on-field backfield coach, but he misses tackles, gets ran over and is a step late covering over top as well. Kazee showed he was faster to the ball by the number of interceptions he jumped last season.  Why put Allen back there when he clearly wasn't the best at the position?  Why not put Allen at the nickel position?  The decisions this coaching staff makes is not sound at all.

Show me the tackles he missed. Every player misses a tackle hear and there but he’s probably the best tackler on the whole defense. I literally saw him save a possible TD run against the colts from a missed tackle by kazee. He was cleaning up so many mistakes last Sunday it was funny. And he’s absolutely right. I know exactly what he’s talking about. He does his job. But **** like THIS is what he’s talking about because it leaves their brothers hanging.