Pro Football Focus ranks Falcons OL No. 27 after 3 weeks

Flying Falcon

8 minutes ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

Oh... thanks for that clarification. I need to go cool down because I’m tired of seeing Matt Ryan get smacked around. Even in our 2016 season we allowed 106 which was 6th worst in the league.

17 through three games ain’t nearly as bad but still on a pace for 90 which ain’t good.

Yeah, still rough, but I do think it's solid given the lines we've faced and that they'll likely continue to gel. Granted, we have a lot of good DLs upcoming...have to keep improving. One sack in the last two weeks is very encouraging. 

1 hour ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

Oh... thanks for that clarification. I need to go cool down because I’m tired of seeing Matt Ryan get smacked around. Even in our 2016 season we allowed 106 which was 6th worst in the league.

17 through three games ain’t nearly as bad but still on a pace for 90 which ain’t good.

Yeah I don’t particularly see the point in just starting to throw together all of the stats for the OL when we never did that in years past.

If you want to be objective while reframing the performance with all of the data, then you need to do that for the past lines as well. IMO

The hit rate is going down on Matt and in particular since that bad opening in Minnesota.

4 hits vs Indy.

We knew the run game would take some time but I think the pass blocking is already trending like it was advertised.

In addition to this, it has been without Lindstrom  Who I believed allowed zero pressures versus Minnesota and McGarry who literally just played his first full game without needing substitution.

Color me optimistic and seeing the light at the end of the “unit growing together” tunnel, as expected. :shrug:

35 minutes ago, BLM said:

Since TD has been here, has our oline ever been top 16?

LIke seriously, he's been here for like 10 years and can't build a line.

Basing it off of PFF, it was a world beater last year! :lol:

In my opinion, Matthews and Mack graded so well in their system and made the line overall look better but that’s the problem with their unit grades and why it doesn’t match film.

Meanwhile, this year our run game has not been on point and that is usually Macks biggest asset in their grading system. Problem with that is Matthews is playing like the worst lineman. If he was playing like 2018, we are probably already grading at average.

That’s the whole point. Take their overall grades with a grain of salt and never fully trust their individual player grades either.

1 minute ago, Ergo Proxy said:

Yeah I don’t particularly see the point in just starting to throw together all of the stats for the OL when we never did that in years past.

If you want to be objective while reframing the performance with all of the data, then you need to do that for the past lines as well. IMO

The hit rate is going down on Matt and in particular since that bad opening in Minnesota.

4 hits vs Indy.

We knew the run game would take some time but I think the pass blocking is already trending like it was advertised.

In addition to this, this is without Lindstrom  Who I believed allowed zero pressures versus Minnesota and McGarry who literally just played his first full game without needing substitution.

Color me optimistic and seeing the light at the end of the unit growing together as expected. :shrug:

I admire your optimism, bro. 

Only 4 hits against Indy is solid, but they also aren’t the caliber of line we’ve faced the previous two weeks and were down a guy.

And just me personally, but I expected just the opposite. I expected the run game to come faster out the gate. Linemen love run blocking, I t’s usually pass blocking that takes longer to gel.

25 minutes ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

I admire your optimism, bro. 

Only 4 hits against Indy is solid, but they also aren’t the caliber of line we’ve faced the previous two weeks and were down a guy.

And just me personally, but I expected just the opposite. I expected the run game to come faster out the gate. Linemen love run blocking, I t’s usually pass blocking that takes longer to gel.

I expected similar but it’s been a weird shake.

Maybe the system adjusting to blocking other than wide zone is why it took a hit?

I’m hoping MIN was our rock bottom for pass blocking. Matthews was the worst offender. Ty was #2 but Kaleb also had a less than stellar first game splitting time.

Honestly, if the run game improves like it should...no reason the offense won’t be on point. Dirk can playcall just fine. It’s the defense I’m way more concerned over.

6 hours ago, sdogg said:

Yep. Wet will never win a SB with a GM that can’t build the trenches. He’s had far too much time to get it done and more we’ve wasted our skill players best years. The entire FO and coaching staff need to be gone. 

Except TD has put enough talent on the field to win a Super Bowl. It isn't his fault if a coach can't get the most out of his players. It IS his fault if he has a big say so in the hirings and if he still believes DQ is the guy.

7 hours ago, IA Falcon07 said:

No doubt they've gotten better each week considering they've gone through probably 6 different line combinations and are on a 3rd stringer at guard.  Penalties are the biggest negative factor.  Having 3 new starters it was never going to be an instant mesh starting week 1 and that progress is only slowed by constantly moving guys in and out due to injury.

This all should have been done in preseason.  Maybe we should learn how to win back in preseason instead of using the first 4 games in regular season.  This is standard SOP for the Falcons.  They say preseason does not reflect on regular season.... that is a load of bull.  We do this drill almost every year.

4 hours ago, Ergo Proxy said:

4 hits vs Indy.

In addition to this, it has been without Lindstrom  Who I believed allowed zero pressures versus Minnesota and McGarry who literally just played his first full game without needing substitution.

Color me optimistic and seeing the light at the end of the “unit growing together” tunnel, as expected. :shrug:

It shows how many clean plays the OL has.  A QB hit, sack, TFL & Penalty on the OL is a negative (the QB Hits is questionable if Ryan holds onto the ball).

Just using sacks or QB hits doesn’t account for all the boneheaded penalties or missed blocking assignment that results in a TFL. 

Not sure it matters, but that was my reasoning for combining the negatives.  30% of snaps have an OL miscue that takes us off script.

1 minute ago, FalconsIn2020 said:

It shows how many clean plays the OL has.  A QB hit, sack, TFL & Penalty on the OL is a negative (the QB Hits is questionable if Ryan holds onto the ball).

Just using sacks or QB hits doesn’t account for all the boneheaded penalties or missed blocking assignment that results in a TFL. 

Not sure it matters, but that was my reasoning for combining the negatives.  30% of snaps have an OL miscue that takes us off script.

As a whole, the OL isn't where it needs to be.

I was saying if we're gonna dog them out with all totals...including TFL like when Stocker misses his block on Graham opening drive vs PHI? Are all TFL on the OL if a TE is the culprit?

Penalties and hits/sacks are easier to track.

And my post really was to say is it coming along compared to last year? TBD on the ground game but it's trending week 2 and 3 for protecting Matt. Holds have been up around the league as mandated entering the year so that's sorta expected.

If we track all this stuff compare it to per game averages from the 2018 OL then. :shrug:

4 minutes ago, Ergo Proxy said:

As a whole, the OL isn't where it needs to be.

I was saying if we're gonna dog them out with all totals...including TFL like when Stocker misses his block on Graham opening drive vs PHI? Are all TFL on the OL if a TE is the culprit?

Penalties and hits/sacks are easier to track.

And my post really was to say is it coming along compared to last year? TBD on the ground game but it's trending week 2 and 3 for protecting Matt. Holds have been up around the league as mandated entering the year so that's sorta expected.

If we track all this stuff compare it to per game averages from the 2018 OL then. :shrug:

Good post, brotha.  And I consider the TE’s an extension of the OL when considering the TFL or hold if its on the edge

16 minutes ago, FalconsIn2020 said:

Good post, brotha.  And I consider the TE’s an extension of the OL when considering the TFL or hold if its on the edge

Ok fair enough.

I think it was good to see McGary get some of the 2nd level blocks in run game last week and by handing off his first man to someone else...which he failed to do on the play Baldy called him out on vs the Eagles. He is learning on the job...but so is the unit together trying to implement Mularkey and the run game coordinators vision on the field.

If we truly get going with the rock moving forward, and the same script of DQ's vision being executed on by the D keeping the script of our run game relevant, then it'll definitely make our playaction better and help dampen some of the challenges vs tougher DLs once again coming in a few weeks.

EDIT: You're gonna like my sig. :mmmhmm:

12 hours ago, Flying Falcon said:

While Alex Mack has been their highest-graded so far, even he has taken a massive step back with only a 61.0 overall grade

Could it be that his regression is our number one issue? I personally dont see it as still think he is performing at high level. But with the turnover at both guard spots, his non elite perfromance is not covering for both new starters on particular plays, effecting all three and downgrading the whole.

Maybe that explains why we have not been the 2016 line since... 2016. He was an animal then.

14 hours ago, Realsurfin said:

This all should have been done in preseason.  Maybe we should learn how to win back in preseason instead of using the first 4 games in regular season.  This is standard SOP for the Falcons.  They say preseason does not reflect on regular season.... that is a load of bull.  We do this drill almost every year.

I never said anything about it being right to not use preseason to iron out the wrinkles.  I agree, that especially in an area where you need chemistry it is important.  That said, there were already injuries in preseason that made it a difficult tasks since a couple guys were not cleared to play.  You also can't practice all these different combinations in a short period of time, if ever, because you never know who it will be going down.  They aren't where they need to be, but it has appeared they are getting a bit better week to week.

19 hours ago, BLM said:

Since TD has been here, has our oline ever been top 16?

LIke seriously, he's been here for like 10 years and can't build a line.

Same same with DL, we always have the same issue with OL and DL, under sized and get pushed around. That is a staple of TD run teams regardless of the HC.

TD isn't going to be able to fix that problem and that is always our biggest issue. TD has to go one way or another even if it's to shuffle him upwards like we did Mckay and get another GM on board.

15 hours ago, Realsurfin said:

Yea we need to use pre season as a way to get our guys in game shape and be ready for the regular season. If we get a lot of injuries in pre season so be it. I'd rather get those injuries in pre season and have time to adjust then have our 53 man roster not in game shape and get tons of injuries the first part of the season cause the guys aren't prepared mentally or physically.

Push your team to the brink in pre season, weed out injuries and build a 53 man roster that is battle tested and ready to go game 1.

This powder puff OTA and Pre season schedule for our players is killing us in regular season.

We had 5 pre season games this year, we have new OC, ST and DC coach we should have used those 5 GAMES to get the team ready. Instead we coasted to keep everyone injury free and now we suck in real games and guys are again dropping like flies to injury once the real games start.

15 hours ago, Ergo Proxy said:

McGary on this play...doesn't get up to the LB the week prior:

McGary's blocking that Colts play is a thing of beauty. Don't get me wrong - the play had a lot of good blocking, and it counted on a lot of people. But the athleticism and attitude just jumps out at you. When this line clicks, our run game could be great.