Pro Football Focus ranks Falcons OL No. 27 after 3 weeks

Flying Falcon

We're well on our way guys!!!!

The Falcons’ new-look offensive line has been a work in progress thus far in 2019. Injuries, new faces and a new scheme have all played a part in the group’s collective struggles up front.

Pro Football Focus released their offensive linerankings through the first three weeks of the season and it doesn’t look good for Atlanta. The team ranks all the way down near the bottom at No. 27.

Read what PFF’s Michael Renner had to say about the group below.

The holes simply haven’t been there, as the Falcons own the seventh-lowest team run-blocking grade so far this season. While Alex Mack has been their highest-graded so far, even he has taken a massive step back with only a 61.0 overall grade.

http://www.google.com/amp/s/thefalconswire.usatoday.com/2019/09/24/falcons-pro-football-focus-week-3-nfl/amp/

8 minutes ago, MAD597 said:

TD needs to get fired after this season. Sorry but as long as he has been here the OL and DL has been weak, under sized, injury prone and been a sore spot for this team. He is horrible at evaluating OL and DL talent. 

Yep. Wet will never win a SB with a GM that can’t build the trenches. He’s had far too much time to get it done and more we’ve wasted our skill players best years. The entire FO and coaching staff need to be gone. 

**** PFF and their rating system, I say our OL has been getting better and gelling over the weeks. My eyes can confirm that. All y'all negative noobs need to at least separate the portions of the team that's playing well and which aren't. I think the OL is doing well and only will get better. Give credit to TD on finding the talent. 

2 minutes ago, FalconBlood23 said:

**** PFF and their rating system, I say our OL has been getting better and gelling over the weeks. My eyes can confirm that. All y'all negative noobs need to at least separate the portions of the team that's playing well and which aren't. I think the OL is doing well and only will get better. Give credit to TD on finding the talent. 

Your lying eyes can confirm it? :huh:

2 hours ago, Flying Falcon said:

Your lying eyes can confirm it? :huh:

No doubt they've gotten better each week considering they've gone through probably 6 different line combinations and are on a 3rd stringer at guard.  Penalties are the biggest negative factor.  Having 3 new starters it was never going to be an instant mesh starting week 1 and that progress is only slowed by constantly moving guys in and out due to injury.

2 minutes ago, Mr.Blank said:

But "It's not the OL, it's Matt Ryan"........

And rightfully so. The OL didnt throw that INT trying to go to Stocker. The OL didnt over throw ALL those WRs, ex. Hooper, Ridley, Julio....

Sorry Mr Blank, but you invested your money into a Black hole and have Capt Quinn leading your organization down into it singing rap songs and saying catchy slogans.

4 minutes ago, Flying Falcon said:

And rightfully so. The OL didnt throw that INT trying to go to Stocker. The OL didnt over throw ALL those WRs, ex. Hooper, Ridley, Julio....

Sorry Mr Blank, but you invested your money into a Black hole and have Capt Quinn leading your organization down into it singing rap songs and saying catchy slogans.

You do know I'm not really AB, don'tcha?

We knew it would be a work in progress and Jake Matthews is the worst one. Who expected that after his pro bowl 2018 season?

By the way, this same website thought we had a top 10 OL last year.

Never rest your bets on their grading system alone LOL!

Matt was barely touched last week and I was after a good showing versus the Eagles. All we need is the run game to get better in the pass protection should improve even more.

I agree that MR hasn't been up to snuff so far this season, except for the 2nd half of the Colts game. Just thought your thread topic and sig was "funny ironic" :tiphat:

I do believe though that the stretch of years with MR has been by far the Falcons best. Without him we could've been more like the Browns....

The offense is number 12 in the league in Points per Drive.  The defense is number 28 (only 4 teams worse).

Ryan and the offense hasn't looked great, but some of that is due to the Falcons' defense never getting off the field.  

Edited by JeffAtl

13 minutes ago, JeffAtl said:

The offense is number 12 in the league in Points per Drive.  The defense is number 28.

Ryan and the offense hasn't looked great, but some of that is due to the Falcons' defense never getting off the field.  

Go look at the set from last season... we were 4 in points per drive with that gawdawful defense.

Then we were 2 in yards per drive and 3 in plays run per drive.

50 minutes ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

I saw our quarterback get hit by a guy who was being held.

That told me a lot.

And not just once.  I mean, if you’re going to fouls, make sure they still don’t hit your QB.  The fact that Mack, with a paltry grade of 61, is our teams highest graded lineman is concerning.

6 minutes ago, FalconsIn2020 said:

And not just once.  I mean, if you’re going to fouls, make sure they still don’t hit your QB.  The fact that Mack, with a paltry grade of 61, is our teams highest graded lineman is concerning.

I expect guys like Brown and Kaleb to struggle at times, but Matthews has been awful. He had that one great block on the Julio screen but he has struggled other than that. Guys are consistently bull rushing him into Ryan’s lap or abusing him with spin moves.

Our offense will continue to struggle if our top players don’t turn it around.

55 minutes ago, Ergo Proxy said:

We knew it would be a work in progress and Jake Matthews is the worst one. Who expected that after his pro bowl 2018 season?

By the way, this same website thought we had a top 10 OL last year.

Never rest your bets on their grading system alone LOL!

Matt was barely touched last week and I was after a good showing versus the Eagles. All we need is the run game to get better in the pass protection should improve even more.

I still maintain the OL was average last week.  On just 54 snaps vs the Colts they allowed 12 QB Hits, Sacks, TFL or Penalties

In 64 snaps against the Eagles they allowed 15 QB Hits, Sacks, TFL or Penalties

And you don’t want to see the numbers for Minn game.  On 64 snaps they allowed 22 QB Hits, Sacks, TFL or Penalties

This means 28% of our offensive snaps results in a negative outcome (QB Hit, Sack, TFL or a Penalty).  Not good enough

14 minutes ago, FalconsIn2020 said:

I still maintain the OL was average last week.  On just 54 snaps vs the Colts they allowed 12 QB Hits, Sacks, TFL or Penalties

And you don’t want to see the numbers for Minn game.  On 64 snaps they allowed 22 QB Hits, Sacks, TFL or Penalties

This means 28% of our offensive snaps results in a negative outcome (QB Hit, Sack, TFL or a Penalty).  Not good enough

Jake Matthews

44 minutes ago, FalconsIn2020 said:

Whoaaa, 12 hits? I knew about the other two games but 12 hits?

wow... this is why I’ve been wondering what everyone has been looking at when I’ve been reading the line has been playing well.

That’s 49 hits in 3 games. I don’t care how new the line is, that’s unacceptable. I’m not even gonna do the math and tell you what kinda pace we’re on it’s so ridiculous.

6 minutes ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

wow... this is why I’ve been wondering what everyone has been looking at when I’ve been reading the line has been playing well.

That’s 49 hits in 3 games. I don’t care how new the line is, that’s unacceptable. I’m not even gonna do the math and tell you what kinda pace we’re on it’s so ridiculous.

He's putting hits, Tfls, sacks, and penalties into the same category. The line hasn't given up anywhere near that many hits.

We've given up 17 QB hits, good for 17th best in the league. Ie: average, but against the Vikings, Eagles, and Colts lines.

4 minutes ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

No...I must have written this ambiguously.  It’s the sum of the number of QB Hits, Sacks, TFL & Penalties.  Just trying to classify in one number a negative play by the OL

Just now, Francis York Morgan said:

He's putting hits, Tfls, sacks, and penalties into the same category. The line hasn't given up anywhere near that much.

Oh... thanks for that clarification. I need to go cool down because I’m tired of seeing Matt Ryan get smacked around. Even in our 2016 season we allowed 106 which was 6th worst in the league.

17 through three games ain’t nearly as bad but still on a pace for 90 which ain’t good.