What is the Atlanta Falcons Identity?

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

28-3

@kiwifalcon Is this the perfect gif to describe the Dan Quinn Atlanta Falcons era?  I think so lol  

Honestly, I've thought about this all weekend.  I think the Falcons embody the culture of Atlanta very well. It's a show off city. If you think back to when they finally started getting some noto

Posted Images

Honestly, I've thought about this all weekend. 

I think the Falcons embody the culture of Atlanta very well. It's a show off city. If you think back to when they finally started getting some notoriety, I don't think it was a coincidence it coincided with the Olympics. The little city that punched above it's class to land a world renowned event. The year before, they landed a once in a generation talent in Deion Sanders. Things were on the up and up for Atlanta. They were Too Legit to Quit.... Until they weren't. They lost Deion in 94. Had a terrorist attack at the 96 Olympics. Got blown out in the SB in 98. Yes, through all of that, they made the Dirty Bird dance that lives on today. But it was a rough patch for the city to keep them in their "little city place". To show they weren't ready for the big stage yet. 

Then they got Vick. Another once in a generational talent. Legit changed the entire NFL. Forever a legend. Until....he wasn't. The entire time Vick was a Falcon, he never took his job serious and ran a dog fighting crime ring for years at the same time. Lied to the owner of the team. Embarrassed the city. Ironically, the Mayor of Atlanta was running a very similar course. Bill Campbell took over the mayorship after Maynard Jackson. The legend. Well, in the early 2000s, Bill Campbell had corruption running rampant through his city, resulting in a grand jury indictment in 2004 and ultimately jail time for tax evasion in 2006. The fall of the City of Atlanta from the mayor to the QB. 

This version of the Falcons is very similar to this version of the City. Very much about outward appearances. Want to be seen and liked by everybody. The star QB isn't revered as much in the city as the star WR that hangs with the star rap group (Migos). The city puts on an air of arrogance and quite frankly, fakeness to appease the public (see: Reality TV capital of the south). The team tends to listen to the media for outward validation. The city is always ready for a big party and the players look more forward to partying and celebrating any minor accomplishment they can than rack up awards and moving forward. Build a shiny new stadium and cater to rich, fair weather fans, but then complain about the lack of support in the new shiny stadium. 

Through it all though, they keep trying to build something real. They just either get derailed by outside forces, or themselves. The Falcons are about as Atlanta as the city itself. They'll have some great moments and some big uplifting wins. But when it's time to stiffen up and make something shake, they tend to fold because that's just not how they're built. 

I love these Falcons. Don't take it as me renouncing my fandom. I'll continue to be the eternal optimist. It's just Atlanta. 

1 minute ago, athell said:

Excellent post, and the sole reason we lost the 2 games in the manner we did.  We got out slow, and made mistakes.  Matt and this passing offense needs to jump out quick and often and in our two losses they did the exact opposite.

That's the part that frustrates me about Quinn so far. It was almost arrogant. I KNEW the colts were going to throw underneath and dink and dunk all game. Their mission was to give us as few opportunities on offense as possible. They played their game, and we didn't. That's what makes me mad about Quinn. DON'T LET THEM DO THAT. Get aggressive. MAKE Brissett throw it down field. Disrupt THEIR plan. It was too late by the time it changed. 

5 minutes ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

In 2016, we caught fire in the playoffs. But, we had fortunate matchups. Green Bay's defense wasn't going to stop our offense AT. ALL. They had no chance. We got to play our game in that one. Same with the Seahawks. Nobody was going to stop us. 

The Patriots did EXACTLY what it took to beat us. They played keep away. They disrupted the momentum. They hogged the ball. Had we played Dallas, Minnesota, or Philly in the 2016 playoffs, they would have given us problems. We could still have beaten them. But it wouldn't have been blowouts. 

I don't believe the identity of this team has ever changed since 2012. The roster has just gotten better.

Philly and Minnesota weren’t all that close to making the postseason that year, but I get your point. While Seattle wasn’t the same defense from 2012-2015, that was still the last year of the true LOB defense. Giants D was the only other truly good defense in the NFC playoffs that year, and they got exposed by Rodgers. I really don’t think any team in the NFC, and really no team in the NFL, would’ve beaten us that season. I still firmly believe that the best team in 2016-17 didn’t win the SB, and it’ll unfortunately always be the saddest day in our franchises history. 

Just now, JD dirtybird21 said:

That's the part that frustrates me about Quinn so far. It was almost arrogant. I KNEW the colts were going to throw underneath and dink and dunk all game. Their mission was to give us as few opportunities on offense as possible. They played their game, and we didn't. That's what makes me mad about Quinn. DON'T LET THEM DO THAT. Get aggressive. MAKE Brissett throw it down field. Disrupt THEIR plan. It was too late by the time it changed. 

This is the other thing that gets me.  Because seemingly lifelong Falcon fans know what's coming, they see it before it happens, and yet Quinn doesn't.  Quinn seems to get out-coached far too often for my liking, at the very least he does by the upper echelon coaches of the league.

2 minutes ago, vel said:

Honestly, I've thought about this all weekend. 

I think the Falcons embody the culture of Atlanta very well. It's a show off city. If you think back to when they finally started getting some notoriety, I don't think it was a coincidence it coincided with the Olympics. The little city that punched above it's class to land a world renowned event. The year before, they landed a once in a generation talent in Deion Sanders. Things were on the up and up for Atlanta. They were Too Legit to Quit.... Until they weren't. They lost Deion in 94. Had a terrorist attack at the 96 Olympics. Got blown out in the SB in 98. Yes, through all of that, they made the Dirty Bird dance that lives on today. But it was a rough patch for the city to keep them in their "little city place". To show they weren't ready for the big stage yet. 

Then they got Vick. Another once in a generational talent. Legit changed the entire NFL. Forever a legend. Until....he wasn't. The entire time Vick was a Falcon, he never took his job serious and ran a dog fighting crime ring for years at the same time. Lied to the owner of the team. Embarrassed the city. Ironically, the Mayor of Atlanta was running a very similar course. Bill Campbell took over the mayorship after Maynard Jackson. The legend. Well, in the early 2000s, Bill Campbell had corruption running rampant through his city, resulting in a grand jury indictment in 2004 and ultimately jail time for tax evasion in 2006. The fall of the City of Atlanta from the mayor to the QB. 

This version of the Falcons is very similar to this version of the City. Very much about outward appearances. Want to be seen and liked by everybody. The star QB isn't revered as much in the city as the star WR that hangs with the star rap group (Migos). The city puts on an air of arrogance and quite frankly, fakeness to appease the public (see: Reality TV capital of the south). The team tends to listen to the media for outward validation. The city is always ready for a big party and the players look more forward to partying and celebrating any minor accomplishment they can than rack up awards and moving forward. Build a shiny new stadium and cater to rich, fair weather fans, but then complain about the lack of support in the new shiny stadium. 

Through it all though, they keep trying to build something real. They just either get derailed by outside forces, or themselves. The Falcons are about as Atlanta as the city itself. They'll have some great moments and some big uplifting wins. But when it's time to stiffen up and make something shaky, they tend to fold because that's just not how they're built. 

I love these Falcons. Don't take it as me renouncing my fandom. I'll continue to be the eternal optimist. It's just Atlanta. 

This a great post, vel.  Really really well said.

1 minute ago, athell said:

This a great post, vel.  Really really well said.

When you've had entirely too much alcohol and other substances and the Falcons lose on your birthday, you've got plenty of time to think threw a hazy hang over just why they keep pissing their legs when they shouldn't. A lot of half hearted research and joking with my brother but we came to the same conclusion. 

9 minutes ago, athell said:

This is the other thing that gets me.  Because seemingly lifelong Falcon fans know what's coming, they see it before it happens, and yet Quinn doesn't.  Quinn seems to get out-coached far too often for my liking, at the very least he does by the upper echelon coaches of the league.

Yea man, that's why I said arrogance. Because I know that Quinn isn't stupid. But sometimes it really feels like the mentality is, "nobody can stop our game." And that just isn't true. We gotta get it to that level first. When we come out striking, our defense always plays better. Because that's our game. It just seems like Quinn (and Smitty even) don't know how to prepare for a team that knows how to slow the game down and disrupt our tempo. 

7 minutes ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

To me, this is a team that is 100% driven from the offense. "Score points early and play with the lead." Get into shootouts or get into offensive rhythym that can't be stopped. That's our identity. Defense has fast players that play with the lead. This is why the achilles heal or the "kryptonite" of this team is teams like the Vikings, Cowboys, or Colts. Physical, bigger in the trenches, and they play keep away usually with a great running game and/or game manager at QB. They refuse to let our offense get into it's rhythm. 

In 2016, we caught fire in the playoffs. But, we had fortunate matchups. Green Bay's defense wasn't going to stop our offense AT. ALL. They had no chance. We got to play our game in that one. Same with the Seahawks. Nobody was going to stop us. 

The Patriots did EXACTLY what it took to beat us. They played keep away. They disrupted the momentum. They hogged the ball. Had we played Dallas, Minnesota, or Philly in the 2016 playoffs, they would have given us problems. We could still have beaten them. But it wouldn't have been blowouts. 

I don't believe the identity of this team has ever changed since 2012. The roster has just gotten better.

We were almost the exact opposite in 2017, where we were often grinding out games. I think what DQ wants is something of a mixture of 2016 and 2017 (more so playoffs)--a team that can impose its will in every phase. That's the point of fast and physical. Be aggressive. On offense we were looking to score on every possession. On defense everybody is flowing to the football and trying to get takeaways. Same on special teams.

Just now, No.11 said:

We were almost the exact opposite in 2017, where we were often grinding out games. I think what DQ wants is something of a mixture of 2016 and 2017 (more so playoffs)--a team that can impose its will in every phase. That's the point of fast and physical. Be aggressive. On offense we were looking to score on every possession. On defense everybody is flowing to the football and trying to get takeaways. Same on special teams.

I hated 2017. Offense didn't do what they do best. Defense played bend, don't break. Quinn (and Manuel) tried to change the identity of this team with the wrong type of players. 

3 minutes ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

Yea man, that's why I said arrogance. Because I know that Quinn isn't stupid. But sometimes it really feels like the mentality is, "nobody can stop our game." And that just isn't true. We gotta get it to that level first. When we come out striking, our defense always plays better. Because that's our game. It just seems like Quinn (and Smitty even) don't how to prepare for a team that knows how to slow the game down and disrupt our tempo. 

Yup.  They seem very much like a Plan A type team.  Like they go into it THINKING Plan A is going to just work and when it doesn't they have no Plan B.  Now, the one thing that gives hope is the 2nd half of those games vs Indy and Minny, but defense often dictates comebacks as well so I don't know how much hope exactly.

2 minutes ago, No.11 said:

Yup, they don't even know what they want to do.  Oh it's Shanny's system...oh wait well...no it's kinda Shanny, kinda Sark...oh wait well, no...it's kinda Shanny, kinda Sark, kinda DK with a little MM mixed in.  Pick a freaking lane!

3 minutes ago, athell said:

Yup.  They seem very much like a Plan A type team.  Like they go into it THINKING Plan A is going to just work and when it doesn't they have no Plan B.  Now, the one thing that gives hope is the 2nd half of those games vs Indy and Minny, but defense often dictates comebacks as well so I don't know how much hope exactly.

Whenever there's heat, Ryan tends to respond, angrily. Hopefully that is going to happen.

2 minutes ago, athell said:

Yup, they don't even know what they want to do.  Oh it's Shanny's system...oh wait well...no it's kinda Shanny, kinda Sark...oh wait well, no...it's kinda Shanny, kinda Sark, kinda DK with a little MM mixed in.  Pick a freaking lane!

This part is what I don't think is as big a deal as some think. The scheme doesn't matter man. We could use any playbook that's been used in the past. It would work with the offensive talent this team has. It just takes a bit of time to find that stride and build some chemistry. Especially with a new playcaller. Ask the @TheFatboi his thoughts on the identity of the team. 

1 minute ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

This part is what I don't think is as big a deal as some think. The scheme doesn't matter man. We could use any playbook that's been used in the past. It would work with the offensive talent this team has. It just takes a bit of time to find that stride and build some chemistry. Especially with a new playcaller. Ask the @TheFatboi his thoughts on the identity of the team. 

I'm more talking about what they say, not necessarily what they do because I agree the scheme doesn't matter much when you have Matt/Julio and company.  The story out of Flowery Branch though seems to change yearly and sometimes week to week.  Like right hand doesn't know what left hand is doing.

Identity?  LOSERSVILLE U.S.A.   The Dawgs have even been getting in on the action...:lol:  Georgia will find a way to flop later this season.  Its just a matter of how...

https://www.ajc.com/news/local/atlanta-loserville-sports-capital-the-world-bill-torpy/jOsqIpRD0OhTTKpPXR0FTP/

Even when the Birds were up 25 points in the third quarter there was a looming trepidation: every Atlanta sports fan drawing breath knew something awful could still happen to them. (Studies also show that fans refer to teams as “we” in victory but revert to third person in defeat.)

Now that the Falcons have sealed an ignoble place in history for the worst meltdown ever, that ugly term is once again rising up: Loserville USA. Atlanta, as you most likely know, is the only pro sports city whose teams compete for a Participation Trophy. 

37 minutes ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

I feel like fans of the actual team know what the identity is. Outside fans just spew hatred. The Saints are bounty cheaters. The Patriots are cheaters. Ryan is a choker. Eli Manning is clutch. Blah blah blah

Which is why I don't talk football with a lot of people in the real world. Most roll with group think, and don't really want to talk football.

1 minute ago, A Pimp Named Slickback™ said:

Which is why I don't talk football with a lot of people in the real world. Most roll with group think, and don't really want to talk football.

Yea pretty much. I live in the NW and am surrounded by Seahawks fans. Almost all of them that I talk to think Ryan is an average QB.

1 minute ago, A Pimp Named Slickback™ said:

It's even more funny that I'm even selective about the Falcon fans I talk football with IRL

It depends. I've got a few Falcon fan buddies up here and they know football. It's the fans that talk about conspiracies, that use failed team history as a reason for TODAY's failure, or act like they really know what's going on behind the scenes, are usually the ones I roll my eyes on. 

8 minutes ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

Whenever there's heat, Ryan tends to respond, angrily. Hopefully that is going to happen.

It’s still def kyles system. With some wrinkles. But the styles of the play callers is not gonna be the same. And that’s part of the difference. Besides the nuances that change like steps over yardage. We’re an attacking offense. That’s still the same. The consistency is what’s lacking and I feel that’s a result of the subtle wrinkles the the offense. Defensively we’re fast and physical. I’ve seen it the first two games. The thing that’s killing this team right now is mistakes, turnovers, and penalties. We should’ve beaten the colts. Had we started the game fast I think we do win. We’re not the kind of team that likes to play from behind. We’re a get up on you and get after you built team. Consistency and clean play is the issue. It’s not play style. I would imagine quinn is loud this week and and also checking himself.