Not Playing a Full 60 Minutes

Boise Falcon Fan

My biggest complaint about a DQ coached team is that they don't play a full 60 minutes. That is something that is driven into football players at a very young age.  We are either getting hammered in the first half, please see the Vikings Game or yesterday's game for lack of showing up for the 1st half of games, or many instances from year's past of playing great in the first half and then surrendering leads.  

Not showing up in the first half of Game 1 & Game 3 this year just blows my mind. This team is better than they have shown, and I believe it is more like the team that showed up against Philly.  I think they will right the ship, but if they really want to compete for the Ship this year, they need to show up for both halves...

Yup. Our offense was nothing short of sensational in the second half yesterday. But when you toss a redzone interception and only score a field goal in the first half (and have a rash of penalties and poor defensive play in BOTH halves), not even sensational is gonna cut it.

A related and equally frustrating point is that even when one phase of our team IS playing for the full 60 minutes, another phase isn't. Last week, the defense was playing out of their minds, while Ryan was tossing interceptions like candy. Yesterday, Ryan gets his act together in the second half and a defensive stop or two seals things in our favor - but the defense was a sieve. 

It's maddening. 

2 minutes ago, BCEagleATLFalcon said:

Yup. Our offense was nothing short of sensational in the second half yesterday. But when you toss a redzone interception and only score a field goal in the first half (and have a rash of penalties and poor defensive play in BOTH halves), not even sensational is gonna cut it.

A related and equally frustrating point is that even when one phase of our team IS playing for the full 60 minutes, another phase isn't. Last week, the defense was playing out of their minds, while Ryan was tossing interceptions like candy. Yesterday, Ryan gets his act together in the second half and a defensive stop or two seals things in our favor - but the defense was a sieve. 

It's maddening. 

That's coaching. Inconsistent play falls squarely on coaching. Last time we had great, CONSISTENT coaching was in '16 on the offensive side of the ball. We crapped the bed in '15 with fumbles and INTs on offense. We improved in '16 and that was the last time I felt confident about an aspect of the team because now, IDK what we're going to get week in and week out. My whole point is we improved in '16 and it was week in and week out (for the most part). I think we all want some consistency in play.

1 minute ago, The Don™ said:

That's coaching. Inconsistent play falls squarely on coaching. Last time we had great, CONSISTENT coaching was in '16 on the offensive side of the ball. We crapped the bed in '15 with fumbles and INTs on offense. We improved in '16 and that was the last time I felt confident about an aspect of the team because now, IDK what we're going to get week in and week out. My whole point is we improved in '16 and it was week in and week out (for the most part). I think we all want some consistency in play.

I don't see how that's coaching.  Coaches can game plan, call plays but it's up to the players to play inspired football.  Don't get me wrong, not everything is perfect at the Branch but the coaches can't make the plays for the players.  I doubt very seriously coaches are teaching these guys to commit penalties at the level we saw yesterday for example...

24 minutes ago, capologist said:

I don't see how that's coaching.  Coaches can game plan, call plays but it's up to the players to play inspired football.  Don't get me wrong, not everything is perfect at the Branch but the coaches can't make the plays for the players.  I doubt very seriously coaches are teaching these guys to commit penalties at the level we saw yesterday for example...

The defense has looked completely unprepared and lost two games out of three so far and numerous times in the recent past too. Browns game comes to mind last year. 

Yesterday's game, Quinn's game plan was to sit in a zone, stop the run and hope Brisset made a mistake. Colts guys were running free and we were giving them 5-7 yard throws in the entire first half (20 pts allowed). That was a scared and safe game plan and seemed like it was not taking Brisset very seriously. That's coaching. I thought we turned a corner after the Eagles game but I was clearly wrong. We finally buckled down the second half (only seven points allowed in 2nd half) but it was too late. Consistency is what we all want I think. Come out looking prepared before it's too late.

The penalties are a Pete Carroll thing too. It's followed Quinn to Atlanta. Quinn talks about the penalty problem all the time, but I don't think there's accountability or a real focus on it because it would have gotten better by now. That's coaching. 

58 minutes ago, Boise Falcon Fan said:

My biggest complaint about a DQ coached team is that they don't play a full 60 minutes. That is something that is driven into football players at a very young age.  We are either getting hammered in the first half, please see the Vikings Game or yesterday's game for lack of showing up for the 1st half of games, or many instances from year's past of playing great in the first half and then surrendering leads.  

Not showing up in the first half of Game 1 & Game 3 this year just blows my mind. This team is better than they have shown, and I believe it is more like the team that showed up against Philly.  I think they will right the ship, but if they really want to compete for the Ship this year, they need to show up for both halves...

Because they dont practice 100%

52 minutes ago, BCEagleATLFalcon said:

It's maddening. 

Tale of 2 halves has been a consistency of this ball club since Smitty was there.

Nothing has changed.

Thought superbowl loss was our 9/11 & we would learn from it.

But, I guess not....nothing will change until we keep getting high draft picks.

1 hour ago, Boise Falcon Fan said:

It's not that they didn't show up. They weren't put in a good spot.

In the first half, they played zone with a cushion. Starting late in the 2nd quarter, they moved to a more Press man look. They did better in the press man, simply because Brissett was throwing the ball 5-7 yards...

12 minutes ago, mattyicefalcon said:

Tale of 2 halves has been a consistency of this ball club since Smitty was there.

Nothing has changed.

Thought superbowl loss was our 9/11 & we would learn from it.

But, I guess not....nothing will change until we keep getting high draft picks.

I agree. If this team needs to have the very best player at every position to win it's doomed. 

16 minutes ago, The Don™ said:

The defense has looked completely unprepared and lost two games out of three so far and numerous times in the recent past too. Browns game comes to mind last year. 

Yesterday's game, Quinn's game plan was to sit in a zone, stop the run and hope Brisset made a mistake. Colts guys were running free and we were giving them 5-7 yard throws in the entire first half (20 pts allowed). That was a scared and safe game plan and seemed like it was not taking Brisset very seriously. That's coaching. I thought we turned a corner after the Eagles game but I was clearly wrong. We finally buckled down the second half (only seven points allowed in 2nd half) but it was too late. Consistency is what we all want I think. Come out looking prepared before it's too late.

The penalties are a Pete Carroll thing too. It's followed Quinn to Atlanta. Quinn talks about the penalty problem all the time, but I don't think there's accountability or a real focus on it because it would have gotten better by now. That's coaching. 

I'd have played heavy against the run too, that's what they showed the first two games.  That said, adjustments were made, assignments were definitely missed though. 

The penalties analysis doesn't hold water though.  in 2015, we were the least penalized team in the league and we were in the lower third in 2016.  2017 saw us in the middle so really last year, and that was 8th highest, was the first year penalties became any kind of issue with us.

I'm not so sure it's necessarily all a Quinn issue. As HC he's definitely a big part of it, but IMO this falls more on the players as much as anything else.

Keep in mind the team rarely played well for a complete game while Smitty was in charge.

They also struggled against backup QBs & RBs regularly in those days, and often seemed to play down to lesser teams... often getting caught with their pants down against teams they should've easily put away.

That's why Ryan has had so many comebacks in his career. They would often start strong, then look like trash in the 3rd & let an opponent back into the game, just to have the game come down to the last possession in a nail-biter that should've been totally avoidable.

Coulda drafted Lawrence and had a true NT. Maybe signed Shaq Barrett and had a real pass rusher. Kept Kazee at FS and put Allen at NB. Campbell should have BEEN demoted. Ollison should have BEEN earning snaps. Keke could have BEEN told to chill on headhunting and focus on developing more in coverage. Senat can easily double as a base DE. LaFleur could have BEEN been retained as OC. That's ALLLLLL coaching. DQ is boo-boo.

Edited by Hurry_Up_And_Buy

39 minutes ago, capologist said:

I'd have played heavy against the run too, that's what they showed the first two games.  That said, adjustments were made, assignments were definitely missed though. 

The penalties analysis doesn't hold water though.  in 2015, we were the least penalized team in the league and we were in the lower third in 2016.  2017 saw us in the middle so really last year, and that was 8th highest, was the first year penalties became any kind of issue with us.

I'll succumb to the amount of penalties but it's a scary trend in the wrong direction since '15 no? It's also the timing of them recently that has killed us. I believe we had 6 or 7 penalties that gave the Colts a first down.

Our guys press too much (not talking about coverage). They almost look unprepared for certain looks and on crucial third downs, discipline gets thrown out the window and penalties occur because they start grabbing and panic. Yes we finally adjusted in the second half but penalties came back to bite us over and over again on the drive where the Colts scored their only TD in the second half. 

12 minutes ago, The Don™ said:

I'll succumb to the amount of penalties but it's a scary trend in the wrong direction since '15 no? It's also the timing of them recently that has killed us. I believe we had 6 or 7 penalties that gave the Colts a first down.

Our guys press too much (not talking about coverage). They almost look unprepared for certain looks and on crucial third downs, discipline gets thrown out the window and penalties occur because they start grabbing and panic. Yes we finally adjusted in the second half but penalties came back to bite us over and over again on the drive where the Colts scored their only TD in the second half. 

No question about it, you don't want it going that way.  Hopefully, it's just an anomaly and not the norm, only time will tell on that one.  DQ mention there were times where the LB's lost their man and that's on them (I'm thinking mostly Campbell but I could be wrong).  The hope I have is from the fact that the team didn't fold (wilted in the 4th quarter on defense but didn't fold) but came back to make a game of it.  By "road mentality" I think DQ means for the players to come out firing in the first half instead of having to respond to whatever gets said at halftime.  Clearly, whatever they are saying, it's working but at the same time, don't dig the hole in the first place...