Glass half empty, glass half full

JDaveG

2 hours ago, KRUNKuno said:

Gotta disagree with number 4 on glass half full.

Quinn has proven nothing.  His defenses have been subpar.  He’s been “building” this defense since he’s gotten here and it’s no better than a mike smith defense.  At least a Mike Smith defense wouldn’t commit drive changing penalties like it’s normal.

The defense is way too reactive and has not evolved to oppose these high powered offenses.  The defense is poorly coached.  All we’ve seen from them since Dan Quinn has been here is bad tackling, poor angles, a lack of consistency, a lack of sacks, and awful awareness.  The Super Bowl run was based off of an elite offense.

As a HC, Quinn’s track record is even worse and has some of the worse debacles in sports history.  To trust in Dan Quinn at this point is absurdly difficult.  The defense needs to be blown up and rebuilt.  Only keepers are Grady and Deion.

This 100%

But no more “defensive guru “ HC’s. I’m done with that. 

2 hours ago, KRUNKuno said:

Gotta disagree with number 4 on glass half full.

Quinn has proven nothing.  His defenses have been subpar.  He’s been “building” this defense since he’s gotten here and it’s no better than a mike smith defense.  At least a Mike Smith defense wouldn’t commit drive changing penalties like it’s normal.

I remember these same discussions when Mike Smith was here. Same complaints about how a guy who was a defensive coach become HC that couldn't put a good Defense on the field and could only play 1/2 a game of football. Seems those things haven't changed.

I know one thing that the Falcons have to be careful of is trying to fire your way to a Superbowl. The Browns have tried that for two decades.

14 minutes ago, FalconFan1st said:

I remember these same discussions when Mike Smith was here. Same complaints about how a guy who was a defensive coach become HC that couldn't put a good Defense on the field and could only play 1/2 a game of football. Seems those things haven't changed.

I know one thing that the Falcons have to be careful of is trying to fire your way to a Superbowl. The Browns have tried that for two decades.

Browns have also not had a franchise quarterback or top tier players for two decades

It’s time to stop with the excuses.

Quinn has been here for 4-5 years now, we’ve spent the majority of our draft capital on defensive players who supposedly have the required. skills to fit his scheme and we have a bunch of veteran guys who have years of experience in this scheme, should be in their primes and are being well paid to be cornerstones in his scheme.

Offensively we have a QB who is on pace to make Canton, the highest paid WR in NFL history who is supposedly the #1 in the NFL, supported by 2 good footballers in Sanu and Ridley, a pro-bowl TE, a well paid 2 x Pro-bowler at RB, and a line anchored by Mack and Matthews.  On paper, we should be better today that the team who broke records in 2016.

With all of the above, we’ve been pathetically uncompetitive in the first half of our first 3 games. With a tough schedule and after being slow starters previously, you’d think we’d have seriously reconsidered our approach to training and camp and pre-season, and made a few changes to ensure we start better and quicker. This is a league where you getting the #1 or #2 playoff seed is a huge advantage and teams can’t afford many losses to get it. Even if we scrape in to the playoffs after a poor start, we are highly unlikely to progress in the playoffs if we have to win at Seattle, Green Bay, Philly, Chicago or Minnesota in January.

Whilst we were pulling a no-show for much of the game yesterday with all of our talent (against a team missing its franchise QB), the Saints went on the road to arguably the toughest places to play in the NFC without their first ballot HOF QB. They weren’t only competitive, but they actually won the Game. The Panthers also won by more than 2TD without their franchise QB. Meanwhile, we just get excuses and talk about growing pains.

12 minutes ago, KRUNKuno said:

Browns have also not had a franchise quarterback or top tier players for two decades

The Browns had Bill Belichick and turned him out. Alex Mack came from the Browns.They had decades of first round picks so if they didn't have top tier talent it wasnt because they couldn't get picks. Possibly the GM was making too many poor picks. But with a slew of firings of coaches and coordinators they could never develop enough players to get out of the sewer

Truly I'm not comparing the Falcons to the Browns. I do however believe that if the fans had their way, we would toss coaches every one to two years because fans have been waiting on a Lombardi for 50+ years and their unlimited patience is running out. But if the owner did that, we would never have enough consistency in leadership to have a good team, much less an elite team.

Edited by FalconFan1st

5 minutes ago, FalconFan1st said:

The Browns had Bill Belichick and turned him out. Alex Mack came from the Browns.They had decades of first round picks so if they didn't have top tier talent it wasnt because they couldn't get picks. Possibly the GM was making too many poor picks. But with a slew of firings of coaches and coordinators they could never develop enough players to get out of the sewer

Truly I'm not comparing the Falcons to the Browns. I do however believe that if the fans had their way, we would toss coaches every one to two years because fans have been waiting on a Lombardi for 50+ years and their unlimited patience is running out. But if the owner did that, we would never have enough consistency in leadership to have a good team, much less an elite team.

I disagree.  Fans want consistency from their coaches.  Quinn hasn’t shown that and he’s had about 5 years now to churn out a defense.  We go into every game on hopes and wishes rather than knowing that we’re going to get a well prepared team that is ready to play.

6 minutes ago, KRUNKuno said:

I disagree.  Fans want consistency from their coaches.  Quinn hasn’t shown that and he’s had about 5 years now to churn out a defense.  We go into every game on hopes and wishes rather than knowing that we’re going to get a well prepared team that is ready to play.

Quinn's record with this team is

8 - 8,

11 -5 NFC Championship and SB loss

10 - 6 NFC wildcard and divisional round loss (lost on the last play to Julio)

Last year was a shambles.of 7 - 9

So its not like he hasn't put a winning team on the field in 4 years. But I will agree that if this year is another losing season then they need to re-evaluate his leadership on this team.

Glass half full me says it's a week three loss on the road. Go 8-0 at home and steal two on the road and that's 10 wins. 

Glass half full me says Matt Ryan will get it together. But glass half empty me says Matt Ryan shouldn't be making these poor decisions to begin with. 

Right now, I'm dead in the middle. This is an 8-8 football team. It's up to DQ to decide whether they improve or get worse. 

3 minutes ago, vel said:

Glass half full me says it's a week three loss on the road. Go 8-0 at home and steal two on the road and that's 10 wins. 

Glass half full me says Matt Ryan will get it together. But glass half empty me says Matt Ryan shouldn't be making these poor decisions to begin with. 

Right now, I'm dead in the middle. This is an 8-8 football team. It's up to DQ to decide whether they improve or get worse. 

I’m right there.

Haven't we basically been a play to .500 after 8 games and see if we go on a hot streak/peak 2nd half of year or not team?

16...17...18 all the same.

To be fair, 18 looked the worst. Absolute garbage on D after week 1.

This year offense is off a little sure, but we got a solid offense 2 straight weeks in spite of the Ryan INTs...

Defense ...which are you? Penalty and checkdowned on all game, neutralized by IND OL? Or pressure generating like vs the PHI OL??

What about the tackling??

Vic had 2 plays out in space he did not end the play and limit YAC.

One was the play we all screamed at our screens for a challenge flag when the runner gets past him and we thought eventually he is short on 3rd Down. Should have never been close!

Take away just the block in the back on STs, the 3 offsides and Grady not getting the free injury timeout and maybe we have another stop and more time to come back.

11 minutes ago, vel said:

Going 8-0 at home is glass very full. There's a path to 10 wins but I don't think that's the one we take.

6 hours ago, JDaveG said:

I've slept on it now, and I have a little better perspective than I did yesterday.  So here is my glass half empty, glass half full argument for this team 3 games in.

Glass half empty:

1). The team keeps failing to execute the fundamentals, especially on defense.

2). The team continues with stupid penalties on both sides of the ball.  It's entirely possible we have more time left at the end if we are able to get the scores quicker on offense.  Unfortunately, it was 1 step forward, 2 steps back.  The offense had to move the ball like 150 yards or so to get the last TD.

3). Quinn keeps talking about execution, but at some point it's his job to coach the players to execute.  It's his job to put them in position.  It's his job to communicate the assignments.  And since we aren't running a particularly complex defense, it seems like his emphasis on his side of the ball would be to do at least the basics correct.  Meanwhile, what I see is bad run fits, horrible contain, bad recognition, bad tackling, not to mention stupid 3rd down penalties that don't affect the play but do give the other team a fresh set of downs.

4). Still bad in-game coaching.  Why did we not challenge the spot when it was clear -- twice -- that the refs just gave them a 1st down?

There is more, but these are the main problems I see.  They fall squarely on the head coach.  He doesn't talk like he's learning from the mistakes.  He keeps talking about execution.  That's precisely the tack that got Dan Reeves and Mike Smith run out of town.  Blame the players.

No sir.  Coach better.

Glass half full:

1). The mistakes are all imminently fixable. The team is not, generally, getting beat physically.  The defense is playing soft (for 2 games, they were good versus the Eagles). That's a mentality and preparedness issue, not an ability issue.

2). Speaking of the Eagles, the defense has shown they can do it.  They just need to do it consistently.  Again, this is fixable.

3). The offense finally seems to be clicking.  This offense can score on anyone if Ryan cleans up the INTs and the o-line stops the stupid drive-killing penalties.  It's a young o-line.  They should get better.

4). We know Quinn is capable.  He coached a Super Bowl winning defense.  He coached this team to the Super Bowl, while calling the plays on defense, so we know he can coach a Super Bowl runner-up defense too.  He's capable of getting a team to perform.  He just needs to do it.

Again, there's more, but those are my high points.

I don't want Quinn fired.  I joked about it in the game day thread, but the truth is you have to stick with a good coach through tough times.  What I want to see is some changes.  This isn't working.  Find something that does.  Quinn is historically a slow starter, especially on defense.  It seems to take him a few games to figure out the chess pieces and how to make them work.  I can be patient -- to an extent.  And honestly, if Matt Ryan had played better against the Vikings we have a shot to win that game even absent the bad defensive play.  Really, if Matt Ryan had played better in the first quarter of this game, we have a chance to win, though the defense failing to stop anything except for one drive wouldn't bode well no matter how well Ryan plays.

Ryan will figure it out.  I'm confident of that.  The offense strung together three really good quarters.  That's a good sign.  Clean up the penalties and get the defense's collective heads out of their collective ***es and we can still go on a run.

But the time is now.  That is all.

Nice analysis.

One question I have: why can’t we play Cover 1 with a robber and 4-3 under base.  Worked in 2016.  Worked Week 2.  Why not stick with it

13 minutes ago, FalconsIn2020 said:

Nice analysis.

One question I have: why can’t we play Cover 1 with a robber and 4-3 under base.  Worked in 2016.  Worked Week 2.  Why not stick with it

I do think they want to run more zone.  But I also think Quinn will ultimately do whatever works.