Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JDaveG

Glass half empty, glass half full

47 posts in this topic

I've slept on it now, and I have a little better perspective than I did yesterday.  So here is my glass half empty, glass half full argument for this team 3 games in.

Glass half empty:

1). The team keeps failing to execute the fundamentals, especially on defense.

2). The team continues with stupid penalties on both sides of the ball.  It's entirely possible we have more time left at the end if we are able to get the scores quicker on offense.  Unfortunately, it was 1 step forward, 2 steps back.  The offense had to move the ball like 150 yards or so to get the last TD.

3). Quinn keeps talking about execution, but at some point it's his job to coach the players to execute.  It's his job to put them in position.  It's his job to communicate the assignments.  And since we aren't running a particularly complex defense, it seems like his emphasis on his side of the ball would be to do at least the basics correct.  Meanwhile, what I see is bad run fits, horrible contain, bad recognition, bad tackling, not to mention stupid 3rd down penalties that don't affect the play but do give the other team a fresh set of downs.

4). Still bad in-game coaching.  Why did we not challenge the spot when it was clear -- twice -- that the refs just gave them a 1st down?

There is more, but these are the main problems I see.  They fall squarely on the head coach.  He doesn't talk like he's learning from the mistakes.  He keeps talking about execution.  That's precisely the tack that got Dan Reeves and Mike Smith run out of town.  Blame the players.

No sir.  Coach better.

Glass half full:

1). The mistakes are all imminently fixable. The team is not, generally, getting beat physically.  The defense is playing soft (for 2 games, they were good versus the Eagles). That's a mentality and preparedness issue, not an ability issue.

2). Speaking of the Eagles, the defense has shown they can do it.  They just need to do it consistently.  Again, this is fixable.

3). The offense finally seems to be clicking.  This offense can score on anyone if Ryan cleans up the INTs and the o-line stops the stupid drive-killing penalties.  It's a young o-line.  They should get better.

4). We know Quinn is capable.  He coached a Super Bowl winning defense.  He coached this team to the Super Bowl, while calling the plays on defense, so we know he can coach a Super Bowl runner-up defense too.  He's capable of getting a team to perform.  He just needs to do it.

Again, there's more, but those are my high points.

I don't want Quinn fired.  I joked about it in the game day thread, but the truth is you have to stick with a good coach through tough times.  What I want to see is some changes.  This isn't working.  Find something that does.  Quinn is historically a slow starter, especially on defense.  It seems to take him a few games to figure out the chess pieces and how to make them work.  I can be patient -- to an extent.  And honestly, if Matt Ryan had played better against the Vikings we have a shot to win that game even absent the bad defensive play.  Really, if Matt Ryan had played better in the first quarter of this game, we have a chance to win, though the defense failing to stop anything except for one drive wouldn't bode well no matter how well Ryan plays.

Ryan will figure it out.  I'm confident of that.  The offense strung together three really good quarters.  That's a good sign.  Clean up the penalties and get the defense's collective heads out of their collective ***es and we can still go on a run.

But the time is now.  That is all.

It seems like every other week (for 40 of the past 45 years) I say the same thing.  Here it comes again:

Next game will tell us more about the Falcons than yesterday's game did.  

I try to be optimistic, and I try not to push panic buttons, but this s**t is getting tiresome with this team.  

I wonder what the thought process of Mr. Blank is tending toward this morning.  

1 minute ago, octoslash said:

It seems like every other week (for 40 of the past 45 years) I say the same thing.  Here it comes again:

I try to be optimistic, and I try not to push panic buttons, but this s**t is getting tiresome with this team.  

I'm honestly wondering if Blank isn't part of the problem at this point.  Excepting the Petrino hire, each and every coach who has come here has managed to have immediate success.  Then the Falcons culture sets in and we can't seem to get out of our own way.

It is pure speculation, and I have zero evidence to back it up, but I wonder how much of the problem isn't Blank having too many fingers in the pie.

12 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

I'm honestly wondering if Blank isn't part of the problem at this point.  Excepting the Petrino hire, each and every coach who has come here has managed to have immediate success.  Then the Falcons culture sets in and we can't seem to get out of our own way.

It is pure speculation, and I have zero evidence to back it up, but I wonder how much of the problem isn't Blank having too many fingers in the pie.

Same. I worry. I appreciate that Blank cares, but it's a little concerning. Our draft (while I like it now) also felt that way.

JDaveG likes this

21 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

That is a frightening question.  And most disheartening to ponder.    

JDaveG likes this

This is what happens when you change coordinators every two years.  The one benefit to all of our conference games coming the last half of the year is we can still get it cleaned up and get more comfortable on both sides of the ball.  Also this was a tough stretch to open up the season.   

Just now, Brewcrew said:

This is what happens when you change coordinators every two years.  The one benefit to all of our conference games coming the last half of the year is we can still get it cleaned up and get more comfortable on both sides of the ball.  Also this was a tough stretch to open up the season.   

Absolutely.  Of course, the change of coordinator at DC ought to be seamless, which is a reason for major concern.  

PokerSteve likes this

58 minutes ago, octoslash said:

That's exactly where I'm at (save 25 years or so). 

octoslash likes this

I really liked what I seen out of the offense in the 2nd half. They were unstoppable despite trying to stop themselves with penalties. If that second half trend continues to next week and we clean up some of the penalties we'll be just fine.

falconsrus, Ergo Proxy and JDaveG like this

7 minutes ago, KamiKazee27 said:

I really liked what I seen out of the offense in the 2nd half. They were unstoppable despite trying to stop themselves with penalties. If that second half trend continues to next week and we clean up some of the penalties we'll be just fine.

Still need the defense to play better, but yeah. 

Ergo Proxy and PokerSteve like this

I'm definitely a glass half full type of guy and the season is still young to which I'm hoping we can still go on a run and either win the division or claim a playoff spot but **** that I'm thirsty and drank the rest of that glass

PokerSteve likes this

Say what you want about DQ teams being undisciplined blah blah... We are averaging 12 penalties a game (tied for last in the NFL). Through Quinn's tenure we averaged 6 penalties a game (top 10ish). So I'm pretty confident we are due for some regression there. And Matt has 6 picks in 3 games. But the time to get right is running out. Just get out of September at .500.

Fair enough.

It is ok to be critical but people wanting Quinn's head after losing 2 away games is absurd.

The vikings are a very good team and we underestimated the Luckless Colts.

I am pretty happy we beat Philly since they have been a bit of a bogey team for us recently

JDaveG and Ergo Proxy like this

Gotta disagree with number 4 on glass half full.

Quinn has proven nothing.  His defenses have been subpar.  He’s been “building” this defense since he’s gotten here and it’s no better than a mike smith defense.  At least a Mike Smith defense wouldn’t commit drive changing penalties like it’s normal.

The defense is way too reactive and has not evolved to oppose these high powered offenses.  The defense is poorly coached.  All we’ve seen from them since Dan Quinn has been here is bad tackling, poor angles, a lack of consistency, a lack of sacks, and awful awareness.  The Super Bowl run was based off of an elite offense.

As a HC, Quinn’s track record is even worse and has some of the worse debacles in sports history.  To trust in Dan Quinn at this point is absurdly difficult.  The defense needs to be blown up and rebuilt.  Only keepers are Grady and Deion.

sdogg likes this

We have the players,, that would be the half full,,, 

We have the wrong Coach and scheme ,, that would be half empty...

Bad news is we have to have both to win  and we don't have both...

Good news is our owner is a very smart man,, he'll figure it out... I like our coaches,, But that don't mean I think we can win with them.. 

The thing we need most is a very smart.. OC... That's what we need right now, but when and if we get one,, He'll ditch this system completely!! 

3 hours ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

The problems I'm seeing on defense are very worrying.

That's all I'm going to say.

What is going to happen when/if they face a good offensive team that is healthy?

I definitely expected them to be better than this. Most of the players on D have had three + years under Quinn. 

JDaveG likes this

3 hours ago, octoslash said:

I would venture Mr. Blank is looking for some ROI this morning.

Edited by Oldmanfan
delete word

One note, before our playoff runs in ‘16 and ‘17 we were hovering around .500 at the halfway mark.

’18 was the same start too but we then lost 5 straight.

So, if I’ve learned anything it’s to give Quinn time into a season.

Half-full Glass says it’s a great problem to have to be peaking down the stretch and into the playoffs.

Half empty says do we regress like last year instead?

I’m actually unsure. I hope we do but it’s murky times as a fan. If DQ gets more performances like vs PHI and guys like Oliver and the new Safety tandem can step up? Great.

If Grady is down for any length of time as well... :ninja: