Peyton

This Loss is Mostly on Dan Quinn, the DC

144 posts in this topic

Of course Dan Quinn gets most of the blame because he is the Head Coach.

But the biggest reason the Falcons lost this game this week is that Dan Quinn, the Defensive Coordinator, simply did a terrible job.

His game plan was lazy and arrogant, and he obviously underestimated Jacoby Brisset terribly.  On top of that, the plan put the Falcons defensive players in a passive state, being reactive instead of attacking.  It was sickening to watch.

He left those guys in that crappy zone far too long, waiting for the mistakes that were obviously never coming, and by the time he got them manned up and they showed a little (and a very little) life it was way too late.

I can be entertained even watching the team lose, but geez, at least go down putting up a fight.  Quinn didn't put these guys in position to do that yesterday.

Let's hope he learned from it.

Emmitt, quotemokc, vel and 26 others like this

1 minute ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

I agree 1000%

However looking at the boards today you'd think it was on the offense because they didn't score every time they touched the ball.

No joke.  So funny that the offense averaged 4 points per possession yesterday and still getting blamed lol.

14 minutes ago, Redswingline2 said:

That maybe partially true, but you can not have 16 penalties, and another red zone interception and win any game. 

As I tried to explain in another thread. Quite a few of these defensive penalties happened because guys were put in a position where the only hope of stopping the Colts was by committing penalties and hoping to not be called for it. I lost count of how many times the Colts threw that little drag route across the middle to the TE and the Falcons never adjusted to it. Campbell was always 5 yards behind the guy and Campbell was called for multiple penalties yesterday as a result. Why did we keep running the same defense over and over and over again when the Colts kept running the same basic plays over and over and over again. I think I remember James Lofton even mentioning how the Colts offense was extremely basic yesterday and yet the Falcons couldn't stop it because of Dan Quinn. Why did we not play the same defense we played against the Eagles?

12 minutes ago, Peyton said:

No joke.  So funny that the offense averaged 4 points per possession yesterday and still getting blamed lol.

Yeah, no clue how anyone is blaming the offense for the loss.

Yeah, the defense played terrible.  Soft scheme, undisaplined, poor tackling, etc. Definitely haven't turned the corner.  This has been the story with the defense for a long time, not sure it's changing anytime soon.

vitaman and swgadirtybird like this

5 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

As I tried to explain in another thread. Quite a few of these defensive penalties happened because guys were put in a position where the only hope of stopping the Colts was by committing penalties and hoping to not be called for it. I lost count of how many times the Colts threw that little drag route across the middle to the TE and the Falcons never adjusted to it. Campbell was always 5 yards behind the guy and Campbell was called for multiple penalties yesterday as a result. Why did we keep running the same defense over and over and over again when the Colts kept running the same basic plays over and over and over again. I think I remember James Lofton even mentioning how the Colts offense was extremely basic yesterday and yet the Falcons couldn't stop it because of Dan Quinn. Why did we not play the same defense we played against the Eagles?

Soft coverage and guys lining up 10 yards from the receivers. 

I don't have firsthand knowledge but my gut tells me Quinn is just too soft on the team during most weeks.  They weren't ready in Minnesota, and got whipped.  Then, they buckled down and won a very important game against the Eagles.  You could see the intensity during every snap.  It reminded me of the day they ruined the Panther's undefeated season.  You could just feel it, that they were focused and determined to outplay the opponent regardless of who it was.  

So they beat the Eagles.  Great...now, we celebrate and then get ready for Indy.  It's the Colts. No big deal. We're good again because we beat Philly.  

But this is the NFL, it doesn't work that way.  Anyone can lose to anyone if the preparation is slack.  And instead of coming out like they did against the Eagles, they prepared like last year against the Browns. 

And got whipped...again.  

4 minutes ago, octoslash said:

I don't have firsthand knowledge but my gut tells me Quinn is just too soft on the team during most weeks.  They weren't ready in Minnesota, and got whipped.  Then, they buckled down and won a very important game against the Eagles.  You could see the intensity during every snap.  It reminded me of the day they ruined the Panther's undefeated season.  You could just feel it, that they were focused and determined to outplay the opponent regardless of who it was.  

So they beat the Eagles.  Great...now, we celebrate and then get ready for Indy.  It's the Colts. No big deal. We're good again because we beat Philly.  

But this is the NFL, it doesn't work that way.  Anyone can lose to anyone if the preparation is slack.  And instead of coming out like they did against the Eagles, they prepared like last year against the Browns. 

And got whipped...again.  

Exactly what I was trying to say when I made this thread. You've got to prepare for every game like it's the most important game of the season. That is the key to success and keeping from having these Jekyll and Hyde games the Falcons are known for.

4 minutes ago, octoslash said:

And got whipped...again.  

Yeah, I can't figure out why the team seems to go into hibernation every so often.  

It isn't like we didn't know what the Colts were going to do.  And it isn't like they were all exotic and hard to figure out.  They just straight whipped us.  That defense played like it didn't care.

29 minutes ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

I agree 1000%

However looking at the boards today you'd think it was on the offense because they didn't score every time they touched the ball.

You aren’t gonna win games if offense has to score on every drive. 4 points/drive is crazy stat for offense.

Sun Tzu 7, Falconsfan567 and JDaveG like this

* Can't get to the QB

* Can't tackle

* Can't cover

* Can't stop the run

* Can't get turnovers

This team is soft. We're so inconsistent, undisciplined (flag waiting to happen), always on our heels, starting games slow, letting other teams dictate our game and strategy, get pushed around on both sides of the ball, weak up front, soft over the middle, confused over the top, and constantly blowing assignments.

This is all a reflection on Quinn as both HC and DC.

8 minutes ago, octoslash said:

And got whipped...again.  

I feel the same way. And I feel like Quinn knows it too...I don't get why it isn't translating. It's possible that in the past, when he was first a HC here, he didn't prepare for each game the same, that he made certain games a bigger deal, and now it's ingrained in players to an extent. Ie; it's just the Browns. But then again, maybe he still does it. I just know it needs to change.

Falconsfan567, JDaveG and octoslash like this