Dirk’s Offense: Are We Still Running A WCO?

FalconsIn2012

This isn’t meant to bash on Dirk.  I am more trying to discern whether or not we are still running the Shanny/Falcons offense.  Terminology aside, this has not looked like Sark’s offense and certainly not Shanny’s.  

Where is the misdirection in the run game?  Where is the pre-snap motion and window dressing used to help Ryan pre-snap?  We are just trying to win with better players.  Much like UGA did against Notre Dame.  And that works for yardage between the 20’s.  But a clever scheme is how you score in the redzone.  It’s how you keep defenses off balance.  I just don’t see creative play calling.  The timing and rhythm seem out of sync.

Please take 5 minutes and watch this highlight video of the 49ers.  Look at the misdirection.  Watch the scheme create explosive plays.  And ask yourself: are we still running this offense?

@PeytonMannings Forehead

@vel

What are your thoughts on it.  Are we still using the Shanny/Falcons playbook?  I don’t see much of it.

https://www.49ers.com/video/49ers-baldy-breakdowns-week-2

2 minutes ago, Sandy5prings said:

I started a thread on this same topic too man. 

This is an offense without an identity. 

"Matt Ryan likes me and I'll let him audible" is not a scheme

If you’re keeping the WCO, hiring s coach with WCO pedigree seemed logical.  Bevell or Kubiak could have been had if we had been patient

The team in general has no identity anymore. The message has worn stale and the music at practice, the pointless catch phrases, as "tell the truth Mondays" is just getting sad. 

Quinn build this team impersonating  Carol and now we have an OC impersonating another coordinator that is long gone. . 

Always thought his hiring was weird. We were told Sark was supposed to run Shanny's offense but the offense never had a consistent rhythm like 2016. They looked...off. 

Then I was confused with the whole Quinn saying(after the Dirk hire) that we're sticking with the outside zone/WCO offense when Dirk isn't exactly familiar with that type of offense. Not sure where Mularkey fits into all this..

It's a weird mixture of ingredients and I think Quinn hopes it tastes good. 

Saying all that, Ryan's thrown some boneheaded INTs that has derailed the offense (along with penalties). I wasn't expecting him to be throwing so many INTs. I honestly think Ryan and the offense will be ok but we can't keep saying "next season". Losers say next season. 

41 minutes ago, revrndzombie said:

The team in general has no identity anymore. The message has worn stale and the music at practice, the pointless catch phrases, as "tell the truth Mondays" is just getting sad. 

Quinn build this team impersonating  Carol and now we have an OC impersonating another coordinator that is long gone. . 

Hard to form one when your coaches are all learning a system not their own or what they are used to coaching

The short answer is yes... and no.

Sark’s first year, we were without a doubt running the same offense. I recognized the formations, the personnel groupings, the plays, routes, everything. It was just a different guy calling it.

The 2019 version, I still see Shanahan-inspired flourishes. But I don’t really recognize a whole lot else. It looks similar to some of the stuff Dirk did in Tampa, but even then, not really.

We go 2x2 a lot more — which is a Dirk staple, whereas Shanahan loved 3x1. I don’t see nearly as much wide zone or playaction, but I also don’t see the power scheme that Mularkey was known for. It looks like a mixture of Dirk’s stuff in Tampa.

I thought I would see a lot more of what it looked like when he first got to Atlanta which I thought was an ideal marriage between Mularkey’s scheme and Dirk’s aggressive downfield passing, but it seems like some weird marriage of Dirk’s Tampa offense trying to glean onto Shanahan’s structure — absent the run-first mentality to set up the passing game.

10 hours ago, FalconsIn2020 said:

Hard to form one when your coaches are all learning a system not their own or what they are used to coaching

There is this brilliant article from Sports Illustrated last off-season detailing how an NFL defense is built. It followed Paul Guenther after he got hired in Oakland and broke down how he installed his whole scheme — to the coaches first.

We’re talking 14 different defensive line fronts, 15 coverages, 20 different four down blitzes, 26 Double-A gap blitzes, all kinds of personnel packages, etc.

He spent months teaching every assistant every single detail of that scheme down to inch of how each position had to line up. They spend a week alone just installing the fronts. 

That takes complete mastery of your scheme to be able to do that.

Now just imagine being hired on as an offensive coordinator and instead of teaching your coaches the scheme you have spent a career cultivating, you have to go in and LEARN all that detail of someone else’s. Just imagine what it would take to break down another man’s playbook, and gain that level of mastery to teach it...

...and then go out and actually call it on game day and make all the in-game adjustments on the fly. It’s a terrible position to put a coach in.

Great read for anyone interested:

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/06/21/oakland-raiders-defense-rebuild-paul-guenther-defensive-coordinator-jon-gruden

2 minutes ago, Peyton said:

Matt Ryan completed 22 out of 23 passes in the second half and the Falcons were 9 for 9 on 3rd downs I think.  I think there is evidence to suggest that the offense is rounding into synch. 

Oh yeah, and 3 for 3 in the red zone. 

The question was simply whether or not we are still running the Falcons/Shanny WCO?

And we are averaging 20 ppg.  It will improve, I know it will.  But the early results are less than jaw dropping

9 minutes ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

So Peyton, considering what the other Peyton said below you, what is your opinion on the status/progress of the "Koetter" offense the second go around? I get the feeling you have a "round peg in a square hole" type feeling about the Koetter/Shanny/Mularkey blend offense but I'd like to hear your thoughts. @PeytonMannings Forehead

2 minutes ago, The Don™ said:

So Peyton, considering what the other Peyton said below you, what is your opinion on the status/progress of the "Koetter" offense the second go around? I get the feeling you have a "round peg in a square hole" type feeling about the Koetter/Shanny/Mularkey blend offense but I'd like to hear your thoughts. @PeytonMannings Forehead

I don’t like what I’m seeing right now to be honest, and it goes to what I’ve been harping on since game 1. In trying to marry all this stuff together, we have no identity. We can produce. We can move the ball. We may even get to the point where we can actually put a game away and score an easy 30... but we have no identity.

And that’s what you need if you’re going to be a championship caliber offense. You need to have something to hang your hat on in December and January when we’re grinding it out against the better teams we’re gonna have to face if we wanna contend.

We’re supposed to be a run first team but that doesn’t show up on the field. We’re not using play-action to really set up anything downfield or get easy throws. It all feels like a grab-bag. Offense gets bogged down... oh, let’s try this, see if it works. Ok that didn’t work... well how about this? I not like it.

Shanahan knew exactly where he was going on the play sheet to get things going.

Dirk has been slow to adjust in every game this season. Yeah we looked better in the second half, but why are we scoring only 3 points in the first half against a defense down two of their best players, and were literally out there running two coverages?

Everyone was all excited about the screen on 4th and 3 against the Eagles... I was like why didn’t get to that stuff sooner? Schwartz was running cover-0 all night. No NFL offense should see more than two cover-0 a game because it’s so risky. Its like throwing a right hand lead against a professional fighter with no jab. It’s a total insult because it implies he’s slow enough that you can hit him with it. Same thing in football. 

Philly kept bringing those cover- blitzes them because we weren’t making them pay. 

And I don’t fault Dirk for all that. Matt hasn’t done his job, and the head coach is putting him in a less than ideal situation.

I’m hoping this isn’t another transition year but unless we stop di**ing around and, for better or worse, just let Dirk do what he does then that’s exactly what we’re in for. We’ll get better but it’ll just never smooth out.

2 minutes ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

I don’t like what I’m seeing right now to be honest, and it goes to what I’ve been harping on since game 1. In trying to marry all this stuff together, we have no identity. We can produce. We can move the ball. We may even get to the point where we can actually put a game away and score an easy 30... but we have no identity.

And that’s what you need if you’re going to be a championship caliber offense. You need to have something to hang your hat on in December and January when we’re grinding it out against the better teams we’re gonna have to face if we wanna contend.

We’re supposed to be a run first team but that doesn’t show up on the field. We’re not using play-action to really set up anything downfield or get easy throws. It all feels like a grab-bag. Offense gets bogged down... oh, let’s try this, see if it works. Ok that didn’t work... well how about this? I not like it.

Shanahan knew exactly where he was going on the play sheet to get things going.

Dirk has been slow to adjust in every game this season. Yeah we looked better in the second half, but why are we scoring only 3 points in the first half against a defense down two of their best players, and were literally out there running two coverages?

Everyone was all excited about the screen on 4th and 3 against the Eagles... I was like why didn’t get to that stuff sooner? Schwartz was running cover-0 all night. No NFL offense should see more than two cover-0 a game because it’s so risky. Its like throwing a right hand lead against a professional fighter with no jab. It’s a total insult because it implies he’s slow enough that you can hit him with it. Same thing in football. 

Philly kept bringing those cover- blitzes them because we weren’t making them pay. 

And I don’t fault Dirk for all that. Matt hasn’t done his job, and the head coach is putting him in a less than ideal situation.

I’m hoping this isn’t another transition year but unless we stop di**ing around and, for better or worse, just let Dirk do what he does then that’s exactly what we’re in for. We’ll get better but it’ll just never smooth out.

It's so painful to watch especially with the talent. I think I'm emotionally checked out already. Free isnt free and matt is struggling.