DK Outfoxing Himself?

slider

Koetter appears to me to be trying to trick the opposition by going away from his strength. I think he's overthinking his gameplan based on the fact that he thinks the opponent will expect him to do certain things and he intends to counter that without being forced to. He's effectively minimizing his offense. When he finally is forced by the situation to play to his strength it works.

My problem with DQ is, and as I've stated here from day one of DQ's reign, he doesn't seem to manage his coaches in game and he's a bad game manager. Both are the primary jobs of the HC. When your coaches are making mistakes, correct them. It takes a bit of an A-hole to jerk a knot in one of your coaches in game and I can never forgive DQ for not doing so in the superbowl. Now, he has a bunch of ex-HC's on his staff and I think he's even less likely to control the gameplan especially on offense. Since he's calling the defense, who's going to tell him when he's f-ing up?

Yes...I'm speculating as we all are here but I think the whole peridigm is out of whack right now. It doesn't mean they can't win but it does mean they have to overcome self produced roadblocks enroute.

8 minutes ago, NWFALCON said:

Koetter was eating the colts alive in the second half. This isn’t on him. He made adjustments and the offense was humming. 

The defense is at fault for this loss. 

Exactly 

Does scoring every possession sound reasonable?

Thats what the Falcons would have to have done to have kept pace with the Colts.

34 minutes ago, NWFALCON said:

Koetter was eating the colts alive in the second half. This isn’t on him. He made adjustments and the offense was humming. 

That was my point. He went against his strength in the first half and when he played to his strength it worked well.

29 minutes ago, Ovie_Lover said:

What do you think this offenses strength is and what is the opposite of that (what you said we are doing instead)?

He came out and slow played in the first half and tried to establish the run. There were some good runs but it's not your strength. Not to mention you only had 2 practicing half backs activated and one of those went down.

Someone said they were 31st against the run but I'm not sure but we couldn't have been rated much better rushing the ball. You don't try to take advantage of an opponents weakness by using your weakness.

They should've come out firing with up tempo passing right of the bat as we all saw was the only thing that worked in the 2nd half.

Look... If I'm a pure right handed hitter and I'm facing a right hand pitcher who just happens to be the worst in the league against lefties, should i try to hit left handed?

I just feel like DK is symbolically trying to hit left handed.

56 minutes ago, NWFALCON said:

This.

Offense had 6 drives all game.

Six total drives.

We won't win many road games with our defense not having a backbone or getting off the field. 1 failed early possession and it's a hole.

20 points to Brissett in the first half. He started the game 16 for 16 passing the ball and it was mostly checkdowns with YAC.

58 minutes ago, NWFALCON said:

I agree, but the offense can't keep waiting until the 2nd half to wake up.  

If the offense had been competent in the first half, it wouldn't have had to score on every drive in the 2nd half.

This is all on Quinn though - offense, defense and special teams all seem to struggle early in games.  Almost like they are completely unprepared.

Offense is partly to blame for 1st half hole, but not the degree of the hole.

Offense was flat but defense was completely terrible vs the simplest of attacks to Quinn's system. Checkdown city with YAC.

Oh, and penalties. My my the penalties. I don't know what was more frustrating. Checkdowns and outlet passes to TEs driving a team up and down the field with no plays made by the defense or the rare would be chance to stop a drive continued by a penalty.

Just terrible.

The worst part of it all is losing Neal for the year and Grady going down for the final 2 drives.

8 minutes ago, Vandy said:

His infatuation with Luke stocker in RZ has cost team dearly.

I think we can do better out of the gates for sure. We tried a draw play to Ito on 3rd and 5 that gets the hold out of FG range. Just let Matt throw it there. 2018 Falcons were LIGHTING PEOPLE UP ALL YEAR ON 3RD DOWN THROWING IT.

WE GET AN OL THAT PROTECTS MATT FOR ONCE AND TRY TO FORCE BALANCE TO START THE GAME!!

/rantover

Meh, we had some good runs but it's a shame the hold on drive 1 took away FG shot. Ryan just can't trust Stocker right now. I can understand if we had built a solid season of film and Stocker became an option on some designed plays mid-season or late in the season b/c it was not expected, but to feature him in the RZ as much as any other weapon we have? Just dumb. Over-thinking it.

Edited by Ergo Proxy

59 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

DK need to remove the play in red zone with Stocker. Both of the interceptions, he stopped running the route. 

Can he call the defense?

Its Matt Ryan's love affair with Stocker....there are other options available at will.

Watch the tape....today Sanu, Ridley and Hooper were wide open and he went to that clown Stocker who has no business to be in red zone packages.

1 hour ago, Ovie_Lover said:

What do you think this offenses strength is and what is the opposite of that (what you said we are doing instead)?

Our playmakers are our strength.  Any time we deviate from getting the ball to our playmakers, such as plays designed for Luke Stocker instead of Hooper, we are outhinking the obvious...

17 minutes ago, Ergo Proxy said:

This.

Offense had 6 drives all game.

Six total drives.

We won't win many road games with our defense not having a backbone or getting off the field. 1 failed early possession and it's a hole.

20 points to Brissett in the first half. He started the game 16 for 16 passing the ball and it was mostly checkdowns with YAC.

yup...16 for 16 with what 2 balls thrown over 8 yards?

The 16-16 did not bother me......the fact that we let 5 yard passes turn into 10 yard gains did.

1 hour ago, Romfal said:

can't blame DK for todays BS. Defense couldn't get off the field vs a backup QB. Ryan keeps killing drives

The post was not an attempt to determine blame for the loss. Just an observation about the offense. Some folks think there's a problem with DK trying to run someone else's offense or using someone else's terminology. I think he may be overthinking his gameplan.

27 minutes ago, falconsd56 said:

I mean I get it....having him run routes puts things on film and makes the offense less predictable.....but lets keep it to those short routes like we saw later in the game.

We don't need him to be a seem buster..

It's predictable.  Throw to Stocker = Int lol

For a blocking te, he is sure being used a lot more than I thought in the pass game and he isn't even that great at blocking.  Let Graham get out there, he can't be worse.

22 minutes ago, Ovie_Lover said:

Ok but when Shanny spreads the ball around he's a genius. Why the double standard?

Difference is Levi was more often than not wide open when Ryan hit him under Shanny.  Plus he wasn't forcing it to Levi.  It's just not smart football decision making these throws to Stocker.  It's just not.  Part on DK, part on Matt, part on Stocker's limitations.  Needs to be corrected tho.