Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
gazoo

So far pretty much what I predicted in preseason, 2-2 start with growing pains until mid season

Sorry, but the one thing that grind my gears is people giving the coaching staff a free pass on the basis of player mistakes/execution.

Execution and mistakes are a direct reflection of coaching. Of course not all mistakes can be prevented.  Every single team makes mistakes and nobody executes to perfection. The good, well-coached teams just make fewer mistakes, and make more positive plays to cancel out and overcome the errors that they do make...

21 minutes ago, kiwifalcon said:

The tell tale sign for me are the starts if DK and co can somehow get this thing rolling early and let the defense play with leads I think the team will be better off.From what I’m seeing right now on the other side is a real lack of consistency.Run defense especially good and bad just not consistent that’s what I’m looking for that side of the ball.

Basically a fast starting offense and a **** of a lot better defensively.

Seeing 9 in the box on that last drive and seeing Marlon Mack rip us on that big run when it was a run all day sell out run play doesn’t fill me with alot of confidence but we will see.

Thats what frustrates the Fark out of me I see talent all over the place on our team to me there is just a disconnect with the coaches and players and this leads to the inconsistency wheather that’s growing pains I don’t know but time will tell.

This is perfectly stated.  I totally agree.

7 hours ago, AtlLover said:

2-2? Here we go again. Just assuming we winning against Titans. D.Henry will run over this defense, and Mariota will kill us with play-action play and RPO. Lets just hope G. Jarrett is back healty to this game. AND LETS START FAST FOR ONCE.... 

2-2 with lots of growing pains was my preseason prediction for the first 4 games.  If we win next week, I will have been spot on. If we lose, I will have been off by 1 game.

Do I think at this point we will win next week? We play at home, I think we have a pretty good chance, especially if we clean up most of these mistakes. We'd be blowing teams out were it not for the volume of mistakes.  Since I feel mistakes will get corrected, I think we will be right in the thick of it come playoffs.

I did not think we would be making as many mistakes as we have so far, but I still believe they will ultimately be corrected, at least the staggering volume of them.

12 hours ago, Vandy said:

I like our coaching staff a lot. I love DQ, but don’t want his abilities watered down by having to babysit the offense. I have every confidence he will get this defense cleaned up and playing more consistently. He’s a brilliant game planner which we need come playoff time.

On offense, I like Keotter and Mularkey. They both have a ton of experience and I have every confidence once the OL and running backs get their timing down in running game and the OL gels. 

Im honestly not worried at all. In fact, DQ as a DC and Keotter as on OC have a long track record of success when they have the personnel. It’s just growing pains, ugly and more than they should be having, but it’s temporary.

If we are playing like we did yesterday in game 7 and 8, I will be worried.

21 hours ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

Yet other coaches like Zimmer somehow manage to implement an impressive defense.

And it doesn’t take them 3, 4, 5 years to do so. Either you have or you don’t. Quinn doesn’t have it. 

21 hours ago, gazoo said:

Ryan is getting great protection and McGary is looking better and better. So sad we lost Lindstrom.  But the penalties keep getting us in tough situations. Ryan played out of most of them.

Just wait until this run game gets going, our offense will become lethal again with a PA game similar to 2016. I know the penalties will get cleaned up, they are just growing pains. Many hate to hear that, but that is the bulk of the issues.

curious what have you seen that makes you think our run game will get going ?? 

22 hours ago, gazoo said:

I’m not in the least bit worried. Things are going pretty much how I predicted they would during the span of the first 4 games where I predicted a 2-2 start and a lot of growing pains (also known as mistakes, penalties, blown coverages, inconsistent play)

Don’t forget many wanted Shanahan fired after his first season, it took him a full season the get everyone on same page to become the 7th highest scoring offense in NFL history. Keottter and Mularkey have only had 3 games so far. DQ has also made sweeping changes to the defense that I’m noticing more and more.

This is what a team that fired 3 coordinators and brought in a ton of new coaches and starters on the lines looks like it’s first few games. We replaced 66% of our starting OL and have been rotating a total of 5 new starters in 3 positions. The first 4 games will most likely be the ugliest, but we won’t be firing on all cylinders, especially on offense, until mid season was my prediction.

In my post talking about defense has arrived, I was talking about it’s physicality and I stated there would still be rough patches going forward as the team gels. Todays performance didn’t surprise me one bit after an exhaustive dogfight on national TV last week where Eagles had to cancel Wednesday practice because it was so physical.

So, just take a breath after another ugly loss where penalties and inconsistencies took us out of a game we otherwise would have won on the road, against an AFC opponent, and know the real good play and great coaching staff we have will have it all put together by mid season. Unless we have major injuries, we will be right there in division and either win it, or be in contention to win it unless by some miracle NO is able to keep winning like they did today. ( I think defenses will figure out Bridgewater though)

Just stop panicking. If Falcons are still making all these mistakes game 6 and 7, then start panicking. 

no 1-3 lol I have no idea what type of  defense  real running all I know it sucks

17 minutes ago, caponine said:

curious what have you seen that makes you think our run game will get going ?? 

Keotter, Mularkey and talent....it’s simply a matter of them getting their timing down and gelling. 

3 hours ago, gazoo said:

I like our coaching staff a lot. I love DQ, but don’t want his abilities watered down by having to babysit the offense. I have every confidence he will get this defense cleaned up and playing more consistently. He’s a brilliant game planner which we need come playoff time.

On offense, I like Keotter and Mularkey. They both have a ton of experience and I have every confidence once the OL and running backs get their timing down in running game and the OL gels. 

Im honestly not worried at all. In fact, DQ as a DC and Keotter as on OC have a long track record of success when they have the personnel. It’s just growing pains, ugly and more than they should be having, but it’s temporary.

If we are playing like we did yesterday in game 7 and 8, I will be worried.

Just playing, my friend. 

Colts are a fundamentally sound team, and Brissett is an underratedly good QB. 

12 minutes ago, Vandy said:

Just playing, my friend. 

Colts are a fundamentally sound team, and Brissett is an underratedly good QB. 

Our defensive line played better than many realize against what is arguably the best OL in NFL too, especially coming off that brutal trench war last week. 3.3 YPC on 79 yards, not bad against them on the road.

We just have to limit these awful, debilitating penalties and mistakes on both sides of ball. We would be trouncing opponents this year were it not for all these mistakes. 

Good thing about mistakes, they can be corrected. If we are beating ourselves, there is a solution. 

On 23.9.2019 at 4:06 PM, AtlLover said:

2-2? Here we go again. Just assuming we winning against Titans. D.Henry will run over this defense, and Mariota will kill us with play-action play and RPO. Lets just hope G. Jarrett is back healty to this game. AND LETS START FAST FOR ONCE.... 

:shrug::doh:

Edited by AtlLover