Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
gazoo

So far pretty much what I predicted in preseason, 2-2 start with growing pains until mid season

4 hours ago, gazoo said:

I’m not in the least bit worried. Things are going pretty much how I predicted they would during the span of the first 4 games where I predicted a 2-2 start and a lot of growing pains (also known as mistakes, penalties, blown coverages, inconsistent play)

Don’t forget many wanted Shanahan fired after his first season, it took him a full season the get everyone on same page to become the 7th highest scoring offense in NFL history. Keottter and Mularkey have only had 3 games so far. DQ has also made sweeping changes to the defense that I’m noticing more and more.

This is what a team that fired 3 coordinators and brought in a ton of new coaches and starters on the lines looks like it’s first few games. We replaced 66% of our starting OL and have been rotating a total of 5 new starters in 3 positions. The first 4 games will most likely be the ugliest, but we won’t be firing on all cylinders, especially on offense, until mid season was my prediction.

In my post talking about defense has arrived, I was talking about it’s physicality and I stated there would still be rough patches going forward as the team gels. Todays performance didn’t surprise me one bit after an exhaustive dogfight on national TV last week where Eagles had to cancel Wednesday practice because it was so physical.

So, just take a breath after another ugly loss where penalties and inconsistencies took us out of a game we otherwise would have won on the road, against an AFC opponent, and know the real good play and great coaching staff we have will have it all put together by mid season. Unless we have major injuries, we will be right there in division and either win it, or be in contention to win it unless by some miracle NO is able to keep winning like they did today. ( I think defenses will figure out Bridgewater though)

Just stop panicking. If Falcons are still making all these mistakes game 6 and 7, then start panicking. 

I just hope Arthur Blank, the coaches, and the players are as calm and rational as you are.

Gazoo a couple of things and I don’t necessarily disagree with your points BUT yes there is a but.

One thing I’m really struggling with is identity I don’t know what we are offensively especially.

Are we run or pass first.A decision needs to be made to live or die with one or thee other.I hate how we don’t use Julio Jones as our momentum starter.It seems he’s a when all else fails let’s go there instead of absolutely going for the jugular with him earlier and make the defense adjust.

I hate how defensively we can’t seem to be disciplined or the fast and physical mantra lacks consistency.

Coaching ties into thee above I need to see more consistency across the board until I’m convinced.

I figured they would fortunate to go 1-2 in the first 3.

The how is troubling...

Kazee at FS may change the defense some

McCrary is ready.....

Guards are good run blocking now 

Utilize strengths.

As bad as we were, take away the ill discipline in terms of penalties and we win that game. If there’s anything that’s fixable  in a week or two it’s an emphasis on not giving up penalties.

Offense isn’t a huge concern, yes the INT’s are an issue, but I’d be comfortable in believing Matt will sort that out. The run game looked better yesterday and providing we stop the awful starts we shouldn’t have to give up on the run so early in future games. Looks like ollison or hill will get a chance to show something next week or two as well.

Defense is the concern, for a team that preaches about takeaways we don’t do a lot of it. Pass rush has been good in my opinion, we’ve got to the qb plenty and just not converted them in to sacks. Gradys toe injury could be a big problem. Oliver is going to have to step up as he’s gonna continue to get picked on. I’d like to see Kazee go back to fs and Rico slide to strong, especially on passing downs. 

7 hours ago, falcons007 said:

The Colts game went the way I expected. I was hoping a 3 point win for falcons. Colts OL is one of the best in NFL and Falcons had no answer for their run game. I consider short passing game as extension to their run game.

I don’t know the outcome of the next 3 games (Titans, Texans, and Cardinals) but one thing is for certain all 3 offensive lines haven’t been protecting the QB well.

Our defensive should have a easier task than the first 3 weeks going against the Colts, Eagles, and Vikings revamped line.

Lewan is still out and the replacement hasn’t been that good. Yes the Texans have Jeremy Tunsil but the rest of the line is atrocious.

1 hour ago, Cole World said:

I don’t know the outcome of the next 3 games (Titans, Texans, and Cardinals) but one thing is for certain all 3 offensive lines haven’t been protecting the QB well.

Our defensive should have a easier task than the first 3 weeks going against the Colts, Eagles, and Vikings revamped line.

Lewan is still out and the replacement hasn’t been that good. Yes the Texans have Jeremy Tunsil but the rest of the line is atrocious.

They have good DL. Falcons better protect our guy. 

6 hours ago, FalconsIn2020 said:

The Colts only averaged 3.3 ypc and had less than 80 yards on the ground.

We had them stopped plenty of times where penalties let them keep drives going. If only our offense had played a clean game few would be complaining about the defense because we would have won a road game by a couple of TDs.

I keep saying this,  but we would have dominated all 3 games we played so far if not for the mistakes. Once they get cleaned up we will dominate. Some think the mistakes won’t get cleaned up, I believe the mistakes are just growing pains and will largely be cleaned up by mid season. We probably have seen the worst of it all as far as games with so many penalties and combined mistakes.

4 hours ago, Rise said:

I figured they would fortunate to go 1-2 in the first 3.

The how is troubling...

Kazee at FS may change the defense some

McCrary is ready.....

Guards are good run blocking now 

Utilize strengths.

Speaking of Kazee, he was one of my question marks coming in this year, along with Oliver. Oliver is improving each game and I believe is just taking his rookie lumps.  Kazee hasn’t been shining, I see him missing a lot of tackles.

2 minutes ago, gazoo said:

Speaking of Kazee, he was one of my question marks coming in this year, along with Oliver. Oliver is improving each game and I believe is just taking his rookie lumps.  Kazee hasn’t been shining, I see him missing a lot of tackles.

Kazee has been a disappointment this year.  But he may return to FS as Rico might play SS as he did last year when Neal was injured

11 hours ago, gazoo said:

I’m not in the least bit worried. Things are going pretty much how I predicted they would during the span of the first 4 games where I predicted a 2-2 start and a lot of growing pains (also known as mistakes, penalties, blown coverages, inconsistent play)

Don’t forget many wanted Shanahan fired after his first season, it took him a full season the get everyone on same page to become the 7th highest scoring offense in NFL history. Keottter and Mularkey have only had 3 games so far. DQ has also made sweeping changes to the defense that I’m noticing more and more.

This is what a team that fired 3 coordinators and brought in a ton of new coaches and starters on the lines looks like it’s first few games. We replaced 66% of our starting OL and have been rotating a total of 5 new starters in 3 positions. The first 4 games will most likely be the ugliest, but we won’t be firing on all cylinders, especially on offense, until mid season was my prediction.

In my post talking about defense has arrived, I was talking about it’s physicality and I stated there would still be rough patches going forward as the team gels. Todays performance didn’t surprise me one bit after an exhaustive dogfight on national TV last week where Eagles had to cancel Wednesday practice because it was so physical.

So, just take a breath after another ugly loss where penalties and inconsistencies took us out of a game we otherwise would have won on the road, against an AFC opponent, and know the real good play and great coaching staff we have will have it all put together by mid season. Unless we have major injuries, we will be right there in division and either win it, or be in contention to win it unless by some miracle NO is able to keep winning like they did today. ( I think defenses will figure out Bridgewater though)

Just stop panicking. If Falcons are still making all these mistakes game 6 and 7, then start panicking. 

Sorry, just can't thumb my nose up in the air and believe Dan Quinn will get things fixed. It's year ******* 5 for Christ's sake!! Why in the world does this defense still look like total **** sometimes when we've had the majority of these players for Dan Quinn's entire tenure? There should be no growing pains on the defensive side of the ball. That **** is what has me so pissed. I'm not surprised by the penalties and turnovers offensively. I expected that with all the changes on that side of the ball but very little has changed defensively in Quinn's 5 years here and yet we're no better off than we were the day Blank and this message board ran Smitty out of town foaming at the mouth like a bunch of crazed animals! I'm tired of waiting for AVERAGE!! I'm not asking for much. Just AVERAGE!! We can't even get AVERAGE!!

9 hours ago, The Don™ said:

I appreciate and like the positivity but...

Let's talk when Ryan stops throwing stupid INTs and missing wide open guys while forcing it to Luke Stocker. Also, when we stop commiting stupid penalties. 3rd and 20...ok let me hold the receiver that's doing a 8 yard comeback.

When we overcome those two things, we'll have a legit shot at the playoffs based on talent alone. 

Speaking of Luke Stocker, WHERE IN THE **** IS GRAHAM? I can't even tell you what number he is because he hasn't seen the first offensive snap this year and he's got actual receiving skills.

11 minutes ago, octoslash said:

The court room scenes in that film are some of Carey's funniest work.  

I'm not a big Jim Carray fan but that movie is one of the funniest movies ever made!! Absolutely love when he goes to the bathroom and beats the **** out of himself. "I'm kicking my ***!!"

7 hours ago, kiwifalcon said:

Gazoo a couple of things and I don’t necessarily disagree with your points BUT yes there is a but.

One thing I’m really struggling with is identity I don’t know what we are offensively especially.

Are we run or pass first.A decision needs to be made to live or die with one or thee other.I hate how we don’t use Julio Jones as our momentum starter.It seems he’s a when all else fails let’s go there instead of absolutely going for the jugular with him earlier and make the defense adjust.

I hate how defensively we can’t seem to be disciplined or the fast and physical mantra lacks consistency.

Coaching ties into thee above I need to see more consistency across the board until I’m convinced.

On offense, I think they are all finding what works best and what doesn’t work as far as the changes from Sark to Keotter.  I think they said in offseason they wanted o be more balanced but until our OL and backs get timing down consistently, we may have to pass more. I think the worst is over, second half you saw our offense start getting in tune. I’m highly hopeful with the pass protection, it’s been years since Ryan has consistently had that much time to find a target and a pocket to step up into consistently. Keotter is running the offense, when posters blame DQ for offensive woes it seems largely misguided to me. I agree ultimately he’s responsible, but for now it’s in Keotter and Mularkey implementing and Ryan making uncharacteristic mistakes.  

On defense, everyone is putting blame on DQ, but the players are also to blame. There are MORE mistakes on defense than I expected, many on players not doing what they are supposed to, but I saw our defense play a million times better in 2016 when DQ took it over and I know he’ll meet his defense all in same page by no later than mid season. People claiming he’s not a good coach forget 2016 and his defenses in Seattle among others. 

Its ugly. More mistakes than even I predicted, but they won’t continue much longer. 

This is an excellent team loaded with talent. We will be running other teams over later this year and I have no doubt make a playoff run of not win division

4 hours ago, Cole World said:

Ergo not to take anything away from your post but when you have 4 holding penalties ( Brown 2x, Matthews 1, Carpenter 1) that more than likely would have been Qb hits, then that stat doesn’t look as impressive.

All our holds were on pass attempts tho?

And, point taken on the ones that were called dropping back to pass.

3 hours ago, gazoo said:

On offense, I think they are all finding what works best and what doesn’t work as far as the changes from Sark to Keotter.  I think they said in offseason they wanted o be more balanced but until our OL and backs get timing down consistently, we may have to pass more. I think the worst is over, second half you saw our offense start getting in tune. I’m highly hopeful with the pass protection, it’s been years since Ryan has consistently had that much time to find a target and a pocket to step up into consistently. Keotter is running the offense, when posters blame DQ for offensive woes it seems largely misguided to me. I agree ultimately he’s responsible, but for now it’s in Keotter and Mularkey implementing and Ryan making uncharacteristic mistakes.  

On defense, everyone is putting blame on DQ, but the players are also to blame. There are MORE mistakes on defense than I expected, many on players not doing what they are supposed to, but I saw our defense play a million times better in 2016 when DQ took it over and I know he’ll meet his defense all in same page by no later than mid season. People claiming he’s not a good coach forget 2016 and his defenses in Seattle among others. 

Its ugly. More mistakes than even I predicted, but they won’t continue much longer. 

This is an excellent team loaded with talent. We will be running other teams over later this year and I have no doubt make a playoff run of not win division

The tell tale sign for me are the starts if DK and co can somehow get this thing rolling early and let the defense play with leads I think the team will be better off.From what I’m seeing right now on the other side is a real lack of consistency.Run defense especially good and bad just not consistent that’s what I’m looking for that side of the ball.

Basically a fast starting offense and a **** of a lot better defensively.

Seeing 9 in the box on that last drive and seeing Marlon Mack rip us on that big run when it was a run all day sell out run play doesn’t fill me with alot of confidence but we will see.

Thats what frustrates the Fark out of me I see talent all over the place on our team to me there is just a disconnect with the coaches and players and this leads to the inconsistency wheather that’s growing pains I don’t know but time will tell.