Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
gazoo

So far pretty much what I predicted in preseason, 2-2 start with growing pains until mid season

I’m not in the least bit worried. Things are going pretty much how I predicted they would during the span of the first 4 games where I predicted a 2-2 start and a lot of growing pains (also known as mistakes, penalties, blown coverages, inconsistent play)

Don’t forget many wanted Shanahan fired after his first season, it took him a full season the get everyone on same page to become the 7th highest scoring offense in NFL history. Keottter and Mularkey have only had 3 games so far. DQ has also made sweeping changes to the defense that I’m noticing more and more.

This is what a team that fired 3 coordinators and brought in a ton of new coaches and starters on the lines looks like it’s first few games. We replaced 66% of our starting OL and have been rotating a total of 5 new starters in 3 positions. The first 4 games will most likely be the ugliest, but we won’t be firing on all cylinders, especially on offense, until mid season was my prediction.

In my post talking about defense has arrived, I was talking about it’s physicality and I stated there would still be rough patches going forward as the team gels. Todays performance didn’t surprise me one bit after an exhaustive dogfight on national TV last week where Eagles had to cancel Wednesday practice because it was so physical.

So, just take a breath after another ugly loss where penalties and inconsistencies took us out of a game we otherwise would have won on the road, against an AFC opponent, and know the real good play and great coaching staff we have will have it all put together by mid season. Unless we have major injuries, we will be right there in division and either win it, or be in contention to win it unless by some miracle NO is able to keep winning like they did today. ( I think defenses will figure out Bridgewater though)

Just stop panicking. If Falcons are still making all these mistakes game 6 and 7, then start panicking. 

We always start slow other than 2015.

.500 around mid season.

Flip a coin if we go on a run.

‘15 and ‘18 we fall flat down stretch.

’16 and ‘17 we go on a year and playoff runs.

What will 2019 prove to be?

Season isn’t over.

2 things must change:

1. Early game offense not turning ball or and helping build leads instead. Part Matt less INTs, part play-calling and unit execution. Add in the OL factor.

2. Defense has to develop consistency. Brissett who checked down to you all game with basically no weapons? Penalties concerting first downs for them? Inexcusable how today snowballed so slowly off 2 bad offensive drives; hold out of FG range and INT. Defense no backbone outside of 1 game.

I certainly have more hope for the offense but DQ’s stamp on this season will come down to whether we can play more like SNF vs PHI rather than these 2 road games.

That many penalties cannot ever be classified as growing pains.  Quinn has been here way too long, and this continues to be an issue for us.

The offense I will give a pass to.  Even though they’ve been inconsistent, they have moved the ball.  Aside from being careless with the ball we’ve had many opportunities to score.  We even look somewhat good in the red zone for a change (again minus the turnovers).

What bothers me is we have a defensive coach that can’t defense.  Quinn undoubtedly rides the coattails of having elite offensive players.

17 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

The Colts game went the way I expected. I was hoping a 3 point win for falcons. Colts OL is one of the best in NFL and Falcons had no answer for their run game. I consider short passing game as extension to their run game.

I also figured after that trench war emotional dogfight last week on national tv between our defensive line and Eagles OL, we might have a little bit of a lull against yet another great big physical OL the very next week. 

Im glad we beat the NFC Eagles over AFC Colts due to potential playoff implications. 

We’d also be 3-0 if it were not for the growing pains.

1 hour ago, gazoo said:

I’m not in the least bit worried. Things are going pretty much how I predicted they would during the span of the first 4 games where I predicted a 2-2 start and a lot of growing pains (also known as mistakes, penalties, blown coverages, inconsistent play)

Don’t forget many wanted Shanahan fired after his first season, it took him a full season the get everyone on same page to become the 7th highest scoring offense in NFL history. Keottter and Mularkey have only had 3 games so far. DQ has also made sweeping changes to the defense that I’m noticing more and more.

This is what a team that fired 3 coordinators and brought in a ton of new coaches and starters on the lines looks like it’s first few games. We replaced 66% of our starting OL and have been rotating a total of 5 new starters in 3 positions. The first 4 games will most likely be the ugliest, but we won’t be firing on all cylinders, especially on offense, until mid season was my prediction.

In my post talking about defense has arrived, I was talking about it’s physicality and I stated there would still be rough patches going forward as the team gels. Todays performance didn’t surprise me one bit after an exhaustive dogfight on national TV last week where Eagles had to cancel Wednesday practice because it was so physical.

So, just take a breath after another ugly loss where penalties and inconsistencies took us out of a game we otherwise would have won on the road, against an AFC opponent, and know the real good play and great coaching staff we have will have it all put together by mid season. Unless we have major injuries, we will be right there in division and either win it, or be in contention to win it unless by some miracle NO is able to keep winning like they did today. ( I think defenses will figure out Bridgewater though)

Just stop panicking. If Falcons are still making all these mistakes game 6 and 7, then start panicking. 

Man gazoo, I honestly appreciate your attempts to bring some positivity to these boards. Your gonna get flamed but if the defense had been able to get a stop at the end I honestly believe we would have overcome everything and won. Matt played lights out the 2nd half.

58 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

The Colts game went the way I expected. I was hoping a 3 point win for falcons. Colts OL is one of the best in NFL and Falcons had no answer for their run game. I consider short passing game as extension to their run game.

Not the way expected.

I expected the defense to make them punt more than once.

27 minutes ago, Artys Arryn said:

Man gazoo, I honestly appreciate your attempts to bring some positivity to these boards. Your gonna get flamed but if the defense had been able to get a stop at the end I honestly believe we would have overcome everything and won. Matt played lights out the 2nd half.

No doubt angry posters will distort my words and attack me, that’s what they do.

I knew coming into this season the first 4 games were going to be ugly, mistake riddled contests and we’d most likely come out 2-2. 

The mistakes are the issue. We’d easily be 3-0 and utterly dominating teams if it weren’t for all the mistakes. OL is blocking in pass protection really well, but run blocking has been inconsistent (as I’d predicted) and penalties have been crippling.

On defense, some are claiming no changes from last year.  This is anger talking, many players came back after injury, many new added and DQ has made a ton of changes to it. It takes a few games for God’s sake, people are insane around here sometimes.

It’s just growing pains. The worst of it is probably over, although either squad is apt to have bad games at times as is case with most any typical NFL season.

36 minutes ago, Ergo Proxy said:

A bright spot:

Ryan is getting great protection and McGary is looking better and better. So sad we lost Lindstrom.  But the penalties keep getting us in tough situations. Ryan played out of most of them.

Just wait until this run game gets going, our offense will become lethal again with a PA game similar to 2016. I know the penalties will get cleaned up, they are just growing pains. Many hate to hear that, but that is the bulk of the issues.

3 minutes ago, gazoo said:

Ryan is getting great protection and McGary is looking better and better. So sad we lost Lindstrom.  But the penalties keep getting us in tough situations. Ryan played out of most of them.

Just wait until this run game gets going, our offense will become lethal again with a PA game similar to 2016. I know the penalties will get cleaned up, they are just growing pains. Many hate to hear that, but that is the bulk of the issues.

Oh yeah, the offense is close. Gotta start faster on the road and not leave points on the field early. We know our D won't keep a road game close for us at this rate. :ninja:

DQ got a coaching job ahead of him yet for the Defense but it was a close road game in the end.

I appreciate and like the positivity but...

Let's talk when Ryan stops throwing stupid INTs and missing wide open guys while forcing it to Luke Stocker. Also, when we stop commiting stupid penalties. 3rd and 20...ok let me hold the receiver that's doing a 8 yard comeback.

When we overcome those two things, we'll have a legit shot at the playoffs based on talent alone. 

This game sucked, but people freaking out and jumping ship make as much sense as it did after the Minnesota game. So premature that it's laughable.

Honestly as disapointing as the game was I was encouraged by a few things. The offense was getting it done, Matt FINALLY looked like Matt Ryan in the second half, basically playing completely perfect football including a ridiculous performance on that last TD drive where we overcame I believe it was 4 (!) offensive holding calls.

The defense was a disaster but honestly, our scheme is predicated on getting pressure and the Colts are probably the best team in the league at now allowing pressure. We should have seen that coming and made adjustments, and that is 100% on Quinn, but regardless I doubt we'll look this terrible against most other teams on our schedule. 

Run game finally got going and only reason we didn't get more yards was because we were playing against the clock starting the fourth quarter and couldn't afford to waste downs on runs. Free looked good, not fantastic, but he still looks plenty quick to me. May actually need to slow down to be honest because he seems to put it straight into fifth gear and not change pace to throw defenders off. He could benefit from learning how to do that from Ito. 

Also, Colts are a good team, they will probably be battling the Texans for the division this year so it's not like we laid an egg against a scrub team. Brisset is not a bad QB. 

Season is not over, we have the talent to compete in an NFC where I haven't seen a single team that really stands out of the pack outside of the Cowboys who have yet to play even a half decent team. Incredibly disappointed in Quinn's defense so far but I believe our offense is starting to get on track, and if that happens we won't need a good defense to at least battle for a playoff spot. 

3 minutes ago, The Don™ said:

I appreciate and like the positivity but...

Let's talk when Ryan stops throwing stupid INTs and missing wide open guys while forcing it to Luke Stocker. Also, when we stop commiting stupid penalties. 3rd and 20...ok let me hold the receiver that's doing a 8 yard comeback.

When we overcome those two things, we'll have a legit shot at the playoffs based on talent alone. 

No question about it. If we tighten up and make less mistakes we would have dominated each opponent so far this year. The mistakes make everything look far worse than it really is. 

Ryan has a long career here, he’s already proven to me he doesn’t have a interception issue throughout*out his career. He’s just going through the early growing pains everyone on the team seems to be going through.

Keotter and Mularkey are both good coaches. I’m not one bit worried they won’t get the mistakes on offense cleaned up. Same with DQ on defense, they’ll get cleaned up.

People get angry when I say we are going through growing pains, but I said this was going to happen before we played our first game. They come with the territory of making wholesale changes.

5 minutes ago, Dr Long Shot said:

our scheme is predicated on getting pressure and the Colts are probably the best team in the league at now allowing pressure. We should have seen that coming and made adjustments,

I think that is a good point. But keep in mind, without all the penalties and mistakes on both sides of the ball, we would have come out way on top of a tough road game still. But, you still, do have a good point. 

I'm worried about Ryan. I'm worried about penalties. And I'm worried about mentality. 

Think the Falcons have a rep at this point, and refs know it. We're going to keep getting screwed by penalties and I don't know when it'll stop. Don't think DQ is going to bring discipline. Just like Smitty couldn't bring toughness. Here's hoping though.

Not giving up on the season or anything but I'm also not going to continue to come in here and try and put positive spins on every loss. It was another bad loss in which we looked disjointed and undisciplined. 

Also our coaching is a major concern for me. How you commit over 120 yards in penalties is beyond me and inexcusable given the tenure of the staff and who we have on our roster. If it consistently takes us until midseason to find our groove then we need to find better coaching, plain and simple. 

Just too many mistakes, very disappointing...

12 minutes ago, gazoo said:

No question about it. If we tighten up and make less mistakes we would have dominated each opponent so far this year. The mistakes make everything look far worse than it really is. 

Ryan has a long career here, he’s already proven to me he doesn’t have a interception issue throughout*out his career. He’s just going through the early growing pains everyone on the team seems to be going through.

Keotter and Mularkey are both good coaches. I’m not one bit worried they won’t get the mistakes on offense cleaned up. Same with DQ on defense, they’ll get cleaned up.

People get angry when I say we are going through growing pains, but I said this was going to happen before we played our first game. They come with the territory of making wholesale changes.

I'm hoping. I really hope things come together before it's too late. We just can't expect to keep coming out flat and expect all will be good rest of the game when we finally decide to turn it on with 5 mins left in the third quarter. Penalties and lack of discipline has been a thing since Quinn took over. Heck, it's still a problem in Seattle with Pete Carrol. There's a trend there. It's time we change that trend before it's too late. 

3 hours ago, falcons007 said:

The Colts only averaged 3.3 ypc and had less than 80 yards on the ground.