AB and Motivational Speaker HC's

After bad losses I usually adhere to a 24 hour rule as far as this forum is concerned so I won't get into trashing the team or coaches here in order to maintain some semblance of dignity but I do have an observation to put forward.

Arthur Blank apparently has an affinity for the motivational speaker type of head coach. Jim Mora, Bobby Patrino, Mike Smith, Dan Quinn. (Mike Smith may be a bit of a tweener here)

If you were to look at the most successful HC's in the NFL's past you would find way more Lombardi's, Landry's, Parcell's and Belichick's than you do the other style. From a pure business perspective wouldn't you gravitate to that? I can only surmise that AB's business/human relations style is more on the motivational side so that's who he seeks.

I personally am too cynical to ever respond positively to the rah rah spirit stuff and even the most susceptible type personalities turn off to it when the mantra gets stale so why not go for what seems to work consistently in this league.

In high school I always hated the pep rallies. I know they were more for the students than the players but every time a cigar chomping old man patted me on the back and said, "we're gonna take it to 'em this week aren't we?" I remember thinking, "when i'm getting rolled by a pulling guard, I look around and never see you anywhere out there, what's all this 'we' sheeite?"

All this to say.....I'm not calling for anyone's head right now but if there comes a change I think you've got to go with someone from the other school of coaching thought for once.  

Until then, let's all stay 'pumped' for the 'Brotherhood' and lets make it all about the ball in the Titans game.

Edited by slider
17 minutes ago, Herr Beast said:

Smitty was the only good hire AB ever did and he really wasn‘t the charismatic motivational leader. He just worked his butt off and led by example. Rah Rah wears off sooner or later but hard work and attention to detail never will.

I think in the Falcons' past only Norm Van Brocklin, Leeman Bennet and Dan Reeves would fit the mold of the 'whip cracking' HC. ILL tempered coaches seem to field consistently tougher mentality teams.

31 minutes ago, Herr Beast said:

Smitty was the only good hire AB ever did and he really wasn‘t the charismatic motivational leader. He just worked his butt off and led by example. Rah Rah wears off sooner or later but hard work and attention to detail never will.

DQ should have won the SB riding hot Kas and Matt Ryan. His seat is starting to getting warm .

48 minutes ago, slider said:

After bad losses I usually adhere to a 24 hour rule as far as this forum is concerned so I won't get into trashing the team or coaches here in order to maintain some semblance of dignity but I do have an observation to put forward.

Arthur Blank apparently has an affinity for the motivational speaker type of head coach. Jim Mora, Bobby Patrino, Mike Smith, Dan Quinn. (Mike Smith may be a bit of a tweener here)

If you were to look at the most successful HC's in the NFL's past you would find way more Lombardi's, Landry's, Parcell's and Belichick's than you do the other style. From a pure business perspective wouldn't you gravitate to that? I can only surmise that AB's business/human relations style is more on the motivational side so that's who he seeks.

I personally am too cynical to ever respond positively to the rah rah spirit stuff and even the most susceptible type personalities turn off to it when the mantra gets stale so why not go for what seems to work consistently in this league.

In high school I always hated the pep rallies. I know they were more for the students than the players but every time a cigar chomping old man patted me on the back and said, "we're gonna take it to 'em this week aren't we?" I remember thinking, "when i'm getting rolled by a pulling guard, I look around and never see you anywhere out there, what's all this 'we' sheeite?"

All this to say.....I'm not calling for anyone's head right now but if there comes a change I think you've got to go with someone from the other school of coaching thought for once.  

Until then, let's all stay 'pumped' for the 'Brotherhood' and lets make it all about the ball in the Titans game.

Huh? Mike Smith's speeches were as vanilla as he was in general. He was an unemotional, steady coach. And I wouldn't consider DQ's speeches to be very "motivational" either. I think AB hires more vanilla types and feel that a little more motivation is needed around there.

1 minute ago, Sheerz said:

Huh? Mike Smith's speeches were as vanilla as he was in general. He was an unemotional, steady coach. And I wouldn't consider DQ's speeches to be very "motivational" either. I think AB hires more vanilla types and feel that a little more motivation is needed around there.

Thus the statement in parenthesis that Smitty may not belong in that group, he just burnt out I think. I also think the only motivation should be "do your job or hit the street". Highly paid professionals that need to be motivated to do their jobs are those in college. Give me a Bellichick any day. people hate him, including most of his players but he gets what's needed out of his players.