POLL - Why do the Falcons Get So Many Penalties?

jlrfalcon

POLL - Why do the Falcons Get So Many Penalties?  

87 members have voted

1. 1. Why do the Falcons Get So Many Penalties?

• Falcons - more undisciplined than other teams
    • Referees - have a dislike for the Falcons players and/or coaches
    • Luck - just unlucky on penalties
    • Other - please post

As I write this, the Falcons have 16 penalties for 128 yards but the Colts have only 4 penalties for 39 yards.

The Falcons almost always have more penalties than their opponents.  We see it every week but just have come to accept it as normal.

I am really curious, though, what the general opinion is for why this trend is occurring.  Is it the Falcons, the Referees, or just bad luck? or some other explanation?

Okay i'm not whining or being a cry baby like the aints. But does it seem like the refs never gives the falcons a break on penaltys. Does it seem like the refs always go strickly by the book when we play other teams... I mean even when we have home games at the Dome I hardly ever see anyone having controversial calls that goes in the Falcons favor. I'm just saying not all losses but most fans can admit some games could of been won if the refs didnt always call our games so tough. Maybe i'm just a die hard falcons fan but i swear we never get phantom calls in our favor to win a game. I also think that every since we lost the superbowl that 28-3 crap is gonna hunt us 4ever until we win one. It seems like every since that happened, we could have a match up against Crickets & Roaches, but Espn analysts and NFL writers will say imma have to go with the crickets & roaches on this one because the Falcons did blow a 28-3 lead in the Superbowl. Smh

Okay i'm not whining or being a cry baby like the aints. But does it seem like the refs never gives the falcons a break on penaltys. Does it seem like the refs always go strickly by the book when we play other teams... I mean even when we have home games at the Dome I hardly ever see anyone having controversial calls that goes in the Falcons favor. I'm just saying not all losses but most fans can admit some games could of been won if the refs didnt always call our games so tough. Maybe i'm just a die hard falcons fan but i swear we never get phantom calls in our favor to win a game. I also think that every since we lost the superbowl that 28-3 crap is gonna hunt us 4ever until we win one. It seems like every since that happened, we could have a match up against Crickets & Roaches, but Espn analysts and NFL writers will say imma have to go with the crickets & roaches on this one because the Falcons did blow a 28-3 lead in the Superbowl. Smh

33 minutes ago, ATLPhil said:

I think there's a problem with playing sloppy, undisciplined football. That creates an aura of sloppiness and lack of discipline, lol. Referees are all about the rules. If they see a team that seems not to give a shlt about the rules, then that sticks in their craw. They're going to instinctively go into punishment mode and nit pick the hale out of that team.

The Falcons are one of the zebras' favorite whipping posts. They aren't going to let up until Quinn and the coaches clean this shlt up. May be too late for this season, but might help get better treatment by the refs next year or perhaps 2021. lol.

• Part of Carrol's coaching tree is letting the players play. Constantly trying to have them relaxed and playing fast. That works out great sometimes but that also can bite you. If you look at the seahawks defense they were known as dirty and even admitted to commiting PI because "they cant call it all the time".  The goal is to get the team to play right up to the edge of what is allowed, and in this case they went over that edge and leads to lots of penalties. In some cases they have played to soft and leads to not hitting qb's when they could and not knocking out receivers as they are about to catch the ball. It is a balancing act that is difficult. You could go the Mike Smith route and have a note pad and write down every penalty in the game but that would lead to fear of "getting in trouble" and in turn make the defense really tight. 

51 minutes ago, jlrfalcon said:

How penalized was Seattle when he was there?  Anybody know?

I'm not saying that Mike Smith was a great coach, but with the exception of his last season the Falcons regularly the best in the league when it came to penalties 

Just now, jlrfalcon said:

Be careful you might start a bring back Mike Smith thread on this board

The point of the OP should read...what are the inputs going on all week as to why the outputs are what we see on gameday?....and Dan Quinn has the most control over how that looks.