Falcons In 2012

11 Things We Know

52 posts in this topic

11 things we know about the 2019 Falcons after 2 weeks

Matt Ryan has been off
The Eagles and Vikings admittedly both have tough defenses, but Ryan has already thrown 5 interceptions.…

Devonta Freeman

Devonta Freeman outshined by Ito Smith
Freeman has only averaged 2.2 yards per carry and hasn't scored yet. Meanwhile, Ito Smith is…

Julio Jones

Julio Jones is still Julio Jones
No. 11 has scored 3 touchdowns already, including the game-winner against the Eagles. He's also passed…

Calvin Ridley

Calvin Ridley keeps rising
Ridley has also been productive – he's scored twice so far and Matt Ryan missed him…

usatsi_13082542.jpg?w=1000&h=667

The first-rounders are injured
Chris Lindstrom is on injured reserve with a broken foot. Kaleb McGary missed most of the…

usatsi_13367607.jpg?w=1000&h=663

Hope on the right side
Jamon Brown and Ty Sambrailo performed far better than expected against Philadelphia. The Falcons need them…

Matt Ryan, Dirk Koetter

Dirk Koetter has to do better
Mike Zimmer and Mike Schwartz are rough matchups. Still, Koetter has to call better plays. Atlanta is averaging just 18 points per game and ranks No. 30 in offensive DVOA.

usatsi_13367528.jpg?w=1000&h=646

Grady Jarrett is on a mission
Jarrett has already collected two sacks. Pro Football Focus has him ranked No. 1 among interior defensive linemen.

Desmond Trufant

Desmond Trufant finally broke the streak
Dropping picks has long been a problem for Trufant. He didn't have an INT since Week…

Takk Mckinley

No sacks for Takk Mckinley
Takk got a ton of pressures on Carson Wentz, but he still hasn't collected a sack.…

Deion Jones

Dan Quinn's defense looks respectable
Aside from getting run over by Dalvin Cook, Atlanta's defense has been respectable. The Falcons have…

duckhoa likes this

Jeez I hate lazy comments like:

2 minutes ago, FalconsIn2020 said:
Dirk Koetter has to do better
Mike Zimmer and Mike Schwartz are rough matchups. Still, Koetter has to call better plays. Atlanta is averaging just 18 points per game and ranks No. 30 in offensive DVOA.

Until "Throw an INT" is in the playbook, I'm not onboard with these kinds of comments. Koetter has been fine. Could have hung 30+ on the Eagles if not for Matt throwing another red zone INT. 

3 minutes ago, FalconsIn2020 said:

Two Shockers, one good, one bad.  Grady is the top graded DT in football.  Making me look stupid.  

And DK’s Offense is the 30th ranked DVOA

6 turnovers in 2 games will kill your offensive rankings. End that noise and this team will be rolling.

5 minutes ago, vel said:

Until "Throw an INT" is in the playbook, I'm not onboard with these kinds of comments. Koetter has been fine. Could have hung 30+ on the Eagles if not for Matt throwing another red zone INT. 

I’m not concerned, but I also have not been very impressed so far.  Run blocking has been atrocious.

5 minutes ago, Jesus said:

6 turnovers in 2 games will kill your offensive rankings. End that noise and this team will be rolling.

Ryan’s INT’s are the outlier.  And I’m not concerned about it.

Just now, FalconsIn2020 said:

Ryan’s INT’s are the outlier.  And I’m not concerned about it.

Right.

We've seen this before. Not at this pace but he will be fine.

6 minutes ago, FalconsIn2020 said:

I’m not concerned, but I also have not been very impressed so far.  Run blocking has been atrocious.

That's not on Dirk though. That's where I land. For instance, that outside run with Freeman where Jake was at LG, it was there, but Hooper got blown up. Stuff like that isn't on Dirk. 

They were moving the ball versus MIN. Two red zone turnovers means you had to get to the red zone. Same with the Eagles. Matt throws a stupid pick in the endzone and Bryant misses a FG. That's 10 points. Even on the first TD to Julio, it was a called run and Ito would have scored, but Matt pulled it and threw to Julio. That's not on Dirk. He gives him the option to RPO it, but his play calling has not been an issue. 

Well let me think...oh yeah the frigging O-line is still trying to get their feet under them. And running a bit different style of offense. Hah could not be any reason the Ryan has had to rush his throws and the running game has not moved forward. Plus as stated above they were learning against teams other than the Miami Dolphins. As hard as I am on this team even I knew they were not going to jump out of the gate in set the world on fire. I also thought they would lose both the past two games. So the way I look at it the Falcons are a bit ahead of the curve. So I am ok with things for now.

papachaz and duckhoa like this

24 minutes ago, vel said:

This 

9 minutes ago, vel said:

That's not on Dirk though. That's where I land. For instance, that outside run with Freeman where Jake was at LG, it was there, but Hooper got blown up. Stuff like that isn't on Dirk. 

They were moving the ball versus MIN. Two red zone turnovers means you had to get to the red zone. Same with the Eagles. Matt throws a stupid pick in the endzone and Bryant misses a FG. That's 10 points. Even on the first TD to Julio, it was a called run and Ito would have scored, but Matt pulled it and threw to Julio. That's not on Dirk. He gives him the option to RPO it, but his play calling has not been an issue. 

******* this, get em

24 minutes ago, vel said:

Is this where we hit them with the Jim Mora "You think you know but you don't know" video?

vel and papachaz like this

33 minutes ago, vel said:

Exactly.

vel and papachaz like this

12 minutes ago, FalconsIn2020 said:

LOL....I didn’t know this was pro wrestling.  And he is getting the author of the article, not me

You're the one who said you arent impressed with Koetter and his run game blocking being bad. 

vel likes this

1 minute ago, vel said:

Lol I don't have any angst with 2020. He's right to not be impressed by Dirk if you look at the raw numbers. But when you factor in the player error, you can't fully judge Dirk yet. 

He's been hating on DK all offseason. Gets old man. You can't blame the run game on him when the players aren't executing for the run game. Same as Tampa.

I don't hear anyone giving Quinn **** for getting run on by the Vikings. I just see him making a threat to praise Quinn.

8 minutes ago, Ovie_Lover said:

He's been hating on DK all offseason. Gets old man. You can't blame the run game on him when the players aren't executing for the run game. Same as Tampa.

I don't hear anyone giving Quinn **** for getting run on by the Vikings. I just see him making a threat to praise Quinn.

Eh 2020 picks his side and waits for enough evidence to shift him one way or another. I don't blame him. 

A lot of fans are stuck on Dirk from his first stint, but ignore who he had to work with. If we had an OL of Lamar Holmes, Justin Blalock, Joe Hawley, Peter Konz, and Jeremy Trueblood and Dirk was ripping off 5 and 7 step pass plays, Ryan would be retired like Andrew Luck. They ignore 2012. It's selective memory to save themselves from heart break. 

2 hours ago, vel said:

I thought when you said "lazy" comments you were referring to the article calling "Jim" Schwartz, "Mike" Schwartz. 

2 hours ago, Ovie_Lover said:

You're the one who said you arent impressed with Koetter and his run game blocking being bad. 

I haven’t been.  If you look at most plays in  All 22, people are open on most plays.  Part of being a great OC is understanding your personnel and calling plays they can successfully execute.

And I just don’t see us reaching our goals passing the ball 45 times a game.  Say what you want, but Koetter needs to be more committed to running the football.  Blocking has been bad, but you can’t completely abandon the run game.  It’s what happened in TB and thru two weeks it is what’s happening here.

The run-pass ratio will be quite telling this week.  

2 hours ago, Ovie_Lover said:

I often wonder if you just make stuff up as you go.  I’ve said I have reservations about his commitment to run the football, but I also said repeatedly he should get more out of this playbook than Sark.

This is a thread I started about DK.  Sure looks like I hate him

https://boards.atlantafalcons.com/topic/4071149-disguise-sequencing-the-koetter-effect/#comment-11459530

On 7/11/2019 at 0:00 PM, FalconsIn2020 said:

There are two things Koetter should provide to make our offense hum again:

1st - Play Sequencing: Pretty simple, yet it’s something we have lacked. Shannahan was the master.  Using plays in the first half to set up plays later in the game.   It’s why Shanny doesn’t allow for many QB audibles.  Play sequencing was essential to his overall gameplan.

2nd - Disguise:  If Koetter can disguise and set up our plays with clever motion pre-snap or unique formations, we will be golden.  It is something Sark struggled with. Here are two great examples of what we should all hope to see in 2019:

Shanny was a master of overloading zones to confuse the linebackers and in the process creating legal/natural picks which ultimately led to a wide open touchdown.

Here the route out of the backfield and the vertical concept result in a walk in TD.

SF-great-route-design-for-Goodwin-wide-o

On this the FB (Luke Stocker would be perfect) motions to a TE position, thus confusing the defense and leading to a wide open score.  Notice how the FB and the RB out of the backfield converge on the same defender, forcing the LB to make a choice.  It’s a brilliant design

SF-PA-boot-35-yd-FB-rec-TD-agaisnt-the-g

11 minutes ago, FalconsIn2020 said:

I haven’t been.  If you look at most plays in  All 22, people are open on most plays.  Part of being a great OC is understanding your personnel and calling plays they can successfully execute.

And I just don’t see us reaching our goals passing the ball 45 times a game.  Say what you want, but Koetter needs to be more committed to running the football.  Blocking has been bad, but you can’t completely abandon the run game.  It’s what happened in TB and thru two weeks it is what’s happening here.

The run-pass ratio will be quite telling this week.  

You realize Ryan threw for every RPO we called right? He WANTED to throw. You also gotta know the opponent. Eagles stuff the run but can't stop the pass at all. You don't run to waste downs and get behind the sticks against the eagles. That's how they stop the pass.

@vel has even said so man.