FalconAge

Can We Extend Tyeler Davidson Now?

77 posts in this topic

Let me say, I wasn't the biggest fan of our 2019 draft. 

I was so concerned about our weakness in the middle of the D-line that I wanted a big nasty with moves as our first pick. A long, prototypical defensive end to bookend Takk should he fully transition to Leo was my second best option at 17.

You can imagine how frustrated I was when we missed out on a first round haul that could have included Dexter Lawrence AND Montez Sweat, which I think would have given us the most talented line in the NFL, including the Rams/Eagles.

That said, watching Davidson occupy space AND bring pressure on the QB has made me feel a ton better about our prospects on D. A guy who can plug and penetrate is a force multiplier for the entire line, which in turn can make a good secondary into a great one.

I am not an expert on NFL contracts, and indeed it is quite early, but could we possibly extend our impressive  free agent, for a couple more years?

I'm worried that after a few more showings like Sunday Night Football, he's gonna be too expensive to keep.

Contract experts, is this possible?

I'm with you man. I'd be more than happy to see him with a 4 year deal.

Saying that, great rosters are built on pickups like this. Bargain basement, maximum impact in a given role. End of the year we will have the talk, if he's balled out we give him a fair offer. If he's got half the league after him, sadly he walks, but we collect our comp pick. The throne of ease up in Boston are rather good at this...

Howwwwever. Big Ty should be wearing black and red for a while. So the fan in me says yes, lock him up ASAP.

11 minutes ago, Ovie_Lover said:

Coming in you could see he was a great run defender but **** his pass rush was way better than I've ever seen from him.

This team, the coaches and the guys on this defense appear to be creating exactly the kind of environment he's been looking for to play his best football. He is a force to be reckoned with. We need to lock him up ASAP.

10 minutes ago, Drvillain said:

was this guy ever this good on the saints?!?

firstly they are stacked on the DL, secondly yep, consensus from the Stains fans was that he was a high-motor workhorse that made others around better, and that they were pi$$ed they let him walk. Makes it even sweeter to be honest.

2 minutes ago, SoCalFalconFan said:

Bailey too. Both of those guys teamed up with Grady make our D line stout as heck.

And then pairing this up with fantastic speed on the edges... I like the potential of this Quinn defense.

SoCalFalconFan likes this

12 minutes ago, SoCalFalconFan said:

Bailey too. Both of those guys teamed up with Grady make our D line stout as heck.

Absolutely. He's an impact player for sure.

SoCalFalconFan likes this

WOW.

Falcons picked him up on a one year deal for peanuts....relatively speaking.  $895,000 

They should resign him now.  Will they?

The Falcons are already $6 million over next year's cap.  They will need to make hard choices next year but they could get a deal done.

The good news is that he isn't the flashy stat producing player so the Falcons might be able to get a decent deal.... BUT he's a 27 year old DT with proven value and the Falcons are paying a lot of money elsewhere.... AND they have to pay Neal and make a decision about Beasley.  McKinnley is also on the horizon.

In the NFL you can't pay everyone.  Yeah.  Hard choices.

Sportsman2593 likes this

i've said it in other threads but Vic's cap hit can go a long way to strengthening this team. for $13 million a lot of 'needed' players can be had under that umbrella....

NeonDeion likes this

I've liked him when he was playing at New Orleans. When we got him, I couldn't believe Peyton let him get away.

Great FA signing.

When Davidson was a Saint, he terrorized the Falcons every time.  I always remembered him and wondered, why can't we have guys like that?  2 games in, Davidson is more than I expected.  He has a bull rush that can not be stopped.  He has a unique blend of size, power and motor that's needed in the middle of the line.  He will be a star.  

1 hour ago, athell said:

Y'all know how I feel about this subject.

Tye is my guy...lock him up.

I think he was my and your favorite offseason pick up.

athell likes this

Reminds me of that big light skin DT Carolina got from Buffalo that beasted for like 2-3 seasons while playing for peanuts . His name slips my mind at the moment but that fuvker was good & Carolin got him on a steal .