Falcons Fan MVP

What do you think are the chances of the Falcons winning the NFC South with Brees out?

59 posts in this topic

It's still so early. It's like trying to get a read on the best teams in baseball after 20 games (1/8 of the season) in a 162-game season. You'll have some teams that are obvious contenders (Patriots, Chiefs-->Dodgers, Astros), but other teams that will emerge later, as well as teams that start hot but will flame out. 

We didn't look like world beaters after 2 games in 2016. The Saints started 0-2 in 2017, with two double digit losses. Even the Patriots have had some rough Septembers in the past relative to their expectations. 

mqg96 and NeonDeion like this

48 minutes ago, MattM12 said:

True. Frustratingly true.

However... We have 1-1. Prognosticficamacation time. Doomsday style.

Pre bye week is tough. Colts, Titans, Texans, Cards, Rams, Hawks.

Call it 1 win from the 5 games. Pessimists view has us at 2-6

Bye week. 

Then the schedule gets real friendly if Brees is still hurt. All NFCS plus Jags, Niners.

We should actually win out, injuries aside. but I'll give us a loss too. 9-7

I think the strength of our 53, and having 6 stabs at the NFCS should see us to 9+

My actual view is that we win 2-3 of the 5 pre bye and win enough of the post bye games to see us playing for home field advantage. But I'm aware that I'm an optimist when it comes to this team, which has foresaken us oh so many times..

Lol optimist yet only think we can win 2-3 out of the next six? Colts, Titans, Cards I guess are your three. If we can't beat one of the Texans, Rams, and Hawks, two of three at home, we aren't a playoff team my friend. 

Ovie_Lover and WhenFalconsWin like this

2 hours ago, schwarzenegger321 said:

Barring any significant injuries to our team, if we don't win the division this year, I would consider the team a failure for 2019.  With the exception if we go in as a wild card and win the Super Bowl.

There should be no excuses this year, with our without Bree's playing.

^^^^This^^^^ x 1000!! Like I believe it was Larry said, “We haven’t seen them play a good game yet.” I agree with that as well! They barely got by the Texans and looked like hot GAR BAGE against the Ram. 

If MR2 gets the bad throws under control and continues producing behind a decent O line along with an improving D, daily, the Falcons should finish very strong! I think Brees being out several weeks just kills the Taints mentally and physically. 

I will go on a limb and say :

1) Falcons

2) Sucaneers

3) Taints 

4) Panties

Falcons could easily be 2-1 and be alone atop the division Sunday night, which, considering all the wailing and gnashing of teeth after week one, would be nice.

As I said  in another thread, Falcons have 6 new coaches, 5 uncharacteristic Ryan ints, 4 new pieces on the Dline, 3 new pieces on the Oline, played 2 very good teams and have 1 stud RB trying to come back from injury. And they're 1-1.

This team is only going to get better as all the new parts start to mesh together.

Falcons Fan MVP, vel and Brewcrew like this

17 minutes ago, SoldMySoul said:

^^^^This^^^^ x 1000!! Like I believe it was Larry said, “We haven’t seen them play a good game yet.” I agree with that as well! They barely got by the Texans and looked like hot GAR BAGE against the Ram. 

If MR2 gets the bad throws under control and continues producing behind a decent O line along with an improving D, daily, the Falcons should finish very strong! I think Brees being out several weeks just kills the Taints mentally and physically. 

I will go on a limb and say :

1) Falcons

2) Sucaneers

3) Taints 

4) Panties

I would not rule out the saints.  They still have a very opportunistic defense and Brees will be back by midseason.  Bridgewater could end up playing some lights out ball.  I wouldn't be too quick to judge him based on a one game performance against the Rams.  .    

2 minutes ago, The Great American said:

I would not rule out the saints.  They still have a very opportunistic defense and Brees will be back by midseason.  Bridgewater could end up playing some lights out ball.  I wouldn't be too quick to judge him based on a one game performance against the Rams.  .    

Oh by no means is Teddy B a scrub.. It will be interesting to see how the Saints perform. 

5 minutes ago, The Great American said:

Teddy hasn't played lights out ball since... 2015. He looked no different this past Sunday than he did when he started to end 2018. He's not the same player. He's got Payton helping him, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Teddy hype finally goes away and he's revealed to be a career backup from here on out. Hate to see it because he could have been legit, but I think he's cooked. 

Ovie_Lover, octoslash and mqg96 like this

1 minute ago, vel said:

Teddy hasn't played lights out ball since... 2015. He looked no different this past Sunday than he did when he started to end 2018. He's not the same player. He's got Payton helping him, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Teddy hype finally goes away and he's revealed to be a career backup from here on out. Hate to see it because he could have been legit, but I think he's cooked. 

I'm not convinced.  He's got a great supporting cast around him and an offensive minded coach to help him.  Bridgewater doesn't have to be lights-out ... just an adequate game manager.      

32 minutes ago, The Great American said:

I'm not convinced.  He's got a great supporting cast around him and an offensive minded coach to help him.  Bridgewater doesn't have to be lights-out ... just an adequate game manager.      

That's why I said he has Payton helping him. Him as a talent isn't the same, but he's still in New Orleans. 

1 hour ago, vel said:

Lol optimist yet only think we can win 2-3 out of the next six? Colts, Titans, Cards I guess are your three. If we can't beat one of the Texans, Rams, and Hawks, two of three at home, we aren't a playoff team my friend. 

Being at home against the Seahawks and Rams should mean a victory for the Falcons. I think at Arizona could be the toughest. Matt Ryan never won at Arizona.

vel likes this

1 hour ago, falconidae said:

Falcons could easily be 2-1 and be alone atop the division Sunday night, which, considering all the wailing and gnashing of teeth after week one, would be nice.

As I said  in another thread, Falcons have 6 new coaches, 5 uncharacteristic Ryan ints, 4 new pieces on the Dline, 3 new pieces on the Oline, played 2 very good teams and have 1 stud RB trying to come back from injury. And they're 1-1.

This team is only going to get better as all the new parts start to mesh together.

We need to quit going through offensive coordinators. Keep Koetter here as long as possible. 

⚡Slumerican⚡ likes this

30 minutes ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

Being at home against the Seahawks and Rams should mean a victory for the Falcons. I think at Arizona could be the toughest. Matt Ryan never won at Arizona.

Agreed. I'm focused on them going 8-0 at home. I think that'd be the first time under DQ. That creates plenty of room for error on the road. Win 2 on the road and that's ten wins. 

Falcons Fan MVP likes this

4 hours ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

Another question is will brees' injury effect his play. He might be a little off.

No, most of the time this injury as a younger player would heal up on its own in a couple of weeks.. Probably at Brees age surgery was the best option.. He will be fine in 6 weeks 

2 hours ago, vel said:

And he wasn't Mahomes like in 2015. He threw for 3400 yards, 14 TDs, 9 ints, 7.2 YA, 88 QB rating, nice year, but hardly amazing.

falconsd56 and vel like this

2 hours ago, The Great American said:

He has Thomas and Kamara ......that is it.

Their offensive line is overrated and struggles on the road.

Not to mention that while thier front 7 is playing pretty well...their secondary has been burnt plenty the firat 2 weeks.

Can he win a shoot out??

3 hours ago, falconidae said:

And he wasn't Mahomes like in 2015. He threw for 3400 yards, 14 TDs, 9 ints, 7.2 YA, 88 QB rating, nice year, but hardly amazing.

Exactly. People like the idea of Teddy more than actual Teddy. His peak was very ordinary. But he was a Pro Bowl QB so people are enamored.  

8 hours ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

I would like to take a look at our division and see what our chances of winning the division are right now assuming we stay healthy-healthy enough. Do you guys think the Saints can win games without Drew Brees? Or do you expect them to look like garbage? Tampa bay appears to be a bigger threat than Carolina with Cam being banged up. Tampa bay also has a very winnable game with the giants coming up. The Falcons should be the odds on favorites to win this division. I would say 9-7 could win the Falcons the division. What do you guys think? Do you think any of the NFC South teams poseca big threat to the Falcons right now other than the Falcons themselves? Do you think one of the teams in our division is a sleeping giant that is a playoff caliber team? 

In one word.   Our chances are "better"  if the saints rack up losses when Drew is out.  Aaaaaand if we do not rack up injuries.

By the 4th game we might have a good idea of the new improved Falcons.

12 minutes ago, vel said:

Exactly. People like the idea of Teddy more than actual Teddy. His peak was very ordinary. But he was a Pro Bowl QB so people are enamored.  

He's one of those dudes lots of people wanted to root for, but few probably had anything in the same zip code as a rational explanation. Or maybe I'm just awful. That tends to be a grey area sometimes :ninja:

vel likes this

13 hours ago, vel said:

I hear you. That is me trying to find losses!! My example is the worst case (barring usual NFL madness and injuries) can objectively forsee.

I have us taking at least 3-4 more pre bye week in reality... We should take all 3 above as mentioned as you've suggested. And we get 5 wins out of the div.

I actually have us at 10 wins plus if not 11/12. That was my pre season prediction and I'll ride it till it's not possible.

vel likes this

Don’t sleep on Bridgewater. It’s a reason he’s the highest paid backup in the league. And it’s not like Sean Payton play calling is injuried. Much as I hate the Saints I won’t act like it’s a layup. They will always be dangerous while Mr Oxy is coaching 

1 hour ago, Nino11 said:

Don’t sleep on Bridgewater. It’s a reason he’s the highest paid backup in the league. And it’s not like Sean Payton play calling is injuried. Much as I hate the Saints I won’t act like it’s a layup. They will always be dangerous while Mr Oxy is coaching 

The thing is he has to see the things Drew Sees as quickly as Drew sees them and that’s not easy. Then add disguises the defense might throw at him to confuse him. Drew has seen it all. Tedy hasn’t. Not saying he won’t make some plays because he’s a good player. But two players having the same play caller doesn’t mean they’ll play on the same type level. 

vel likes this