Jump to content

Falcons unconcerned with key injuries to NFC South foes


Goober Pyle
 Share

Recommended Posts

https://www.espn.com/blog/atlanta-falcons/post/_/id/34584/falcons-unconcerned-with-key-injuries-to-nfc-south-foes

 

FLOWERY BRANCH, Ga. -- Atlanta Falcons coach Dan Quinn never likes to look ahead, but he isn't oblivious to what's going on around him.

As a coach who preaches taking care of division play first, Quinn certainly understands how the complexion of the NFC South might have changed to his team’s benefit. Injuries suffered by New Orleans star quarterback Drew Brees (thumb) and Carolina quarterback Cam Newton (foot) make the Saints and Panthers more vulnerable on paper.

Brees won’t be placed on injured reserve immediately following surgery and could be back on the field when the Falcons face the Saints on Nov. 10. Carolina is preparing Kyle Allen to step in for Newton. The Falcons’ first matchup with the Panthers is Nov. 17 in Charlotte, followed by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers at home (Nov. 24).

"I think you always check around because it's always in your mind about where you are at in the division," Quinn said. "We don't get a chance to play a division game for a while, so what's really on my mind today is the team that we don't play a lot coming up [Indianapolis].

"For us, we bring the focus right back to now and the things we can control and the things we can do. You always have your eye on [the division], but past that, you don’t get to think about them yet. You don't get to because if you do -- man, you're going to miss what's right here."

Quarterback Matt Ryan is aware of what’s going on with Brees and Newton, but he isn't consumed by it. Ryan is just glad to be healthy. He hasn’t missed a game since turf toe in the 2009 season.

"I’m certainly thankful to have been able to stay as healthy as I have throughout my career," Ryan said. "And as far as seeing the other guys in the NFC South, you never want to see guys go down. You hate seeing that for them, but that’s part of it in this league. It’s having to have the next guy step up. We’ve had to do that on our side.

"We have to focus on our guys and what we’re doing. But personally, you never want to see guys go down around the league."

Ryan went on to say that there is a "long way to go" before the team can concentrate on where things stand in the division. Not starting NFC South play until Week 10 takes much of the fun away from the Falcons trying to get a leg up on the Saints and Panthers immediately. But at least they seem to have a little momentum -- particularly on defense -- following last week’s 24-20 triumph over Philadelphia. That win, however, shouldn’t make the Falcons believe they’re instantly in the Super Bowl conversation -- not when the Eagles were without injured top wide receivers DeSean Jackson and Alshon Jeffery.

"I think consistency is key, and we have to go to work and put another good performance together and continue to build, week in and week out," defensive tackle Grady Jarrett said.

Having wide receivers Julio Jones and Calvin Ridley coming off 100-yard games is something the Falcons can hang their hats on. Watching cornerback Desmond Trufant grab two interceptions -- along with defensive end Takk McKinley, linebacker Vic Beasley Jr. and Jarrett bringing pressure up front on defense -- is reason for optimism too.

"We’re just trying to get win each week and keep stacking them up. At the end of the year, we want to be on top of the division," Ryan said.

 

 

But the Falcons still have a variety of issues to fix -- problems that made the Eagles game maybe tougher than it should have been and made a season-opening loss at Minnesota such a disaster. Those start with Ryan, who has thrown five interceptions through two games after throwing seven in 16 games last season. Quinn isn't stressing about it because he doesn’t believe it will be the norm. Ryan has taken ownership and vowed to fix it, starting now.

"I don’t worry about that too much," Ryan said. "At the end of the year, you look back and look at the cumulative total. It’s certainly not the start you want in terms of turning the football over. It happens like that sometimes. You just have to weather the storm and keep making good decisions, be aggressive with the football and believe that it’s going to turn."

Other problems plaguing the team include the lack of a running game, with an average of 65 yards per contest through the first two, and penalties, with 20 fouls for 136 yards, including nine offensive/defensive holds and four false starts.

econd-year running back Ito Smith has been consistent in the running game with flashes. The Falcons hope two-time Pro Bowler Devonta Freeman, who Quinn says is 100 percent healthy following last year’s core-muscle surgery, can get back on track after averaging just 2.2. yards per carry in the first two games.

Injuries have been troublesome as well, with first-round right guard Chris Lindstrom on injured reserve after having surgery on his broken right foot and fellow first-rounder Kaleb McGary, the starting right tackle, in limbo after injuring his left knee. Shuffling bodies on the offensive line doesn’t help build the continuity needed to keep Ryan clean and open holes in the run game.

 

The next challenge for the Falcons, as Jarrett mentioned, is piecing together back-to-back strong efforts. The positive vibes coming off the win over the Eagles will go out the window if the Falcons go to Indianapolis and get pounded by the Andrew Luck-less Colts, with their strong rushing attack and solid defense. The Falcons are 1-7 against AFC opponents the previous two seasons.

The Falcons work their way through the AFC South next, as the next three opponents are the Colts, Tennessee Titans and Houston Texans. Then comes the NFC West part of the schedule, with a trip to face the Arizona Cardinals followed by back-to-back visits from the potent Los Angeles Rams and Seattle Seahawks.

After that, the Falcons can set their sights on the NFC South, which has been won by the Saints in back-to-back season. The Falcons most recently won the division in 2016, when they made it to the Super Bowl.

"My thoughts on the division? We have a long time before then," free safety Ricardo Allen said. "I don’t focus on that right now. If you focus on the division right now, you’re going to be losing these games."

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think as long as the Falcons just keep focusing at what they to work on. Each day getting one step better they will be alright. You. can only worry about things you can control whether you are a NFL player or Plumber

I don't remember this defense being this angry and effective in quite a while. The offense is not truly clicking yet. Our Special teams is a little bit of a cluster**** right now. 

This team is going to be more than OK

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Even if they rush him back after 6 weeks, I don't think Brees will be 100% yet. Older you get, the longer it takes to completely heal. I should know :(

Quinn is just gonna focus on Indy for now, and I'm hoping for another great performance by the D, less INT's from MR, and hopefully get the run game really going. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

The front half of the schedule is brutal.

I forgot about 1-7 against the AFC.  That’s horrible 

This year’s NFC West looks like the 2013 NFC West when it was dominant. There’s at least 3 potential playoff teams in the NFC West this year. We’re actually 1-10 against the AFC since the 2016 Chargers. 

Anyway. I believe only the NFC South winner is making the playoffs out of this division with our tough NFC West and AFC South schedules. 2nd place or later will probably be 8-8 or worse with the way it looks right now. I think 9-7 or 10-6 can win the NFC South this year with the way it’s looking across our division and the tough schedules ahead. Barring any major injury to the Falcons, there’s no excuses this year. 

We’re 1-1 right now. 2-2 vs the AFC South, 2-2 vs the NFC West, and 5-1 vs the NFC South is our best case scenario. That’s 10-6 with head to head over everybody in what looks to be a weak division right now, and you split the Bucs or split the Saints while sweeping everyone else.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, mqg96 said:

We’re 1-1 right now. 2-2 vs the AFC South, 2-2 vs the NFC West, and 5-1 vs the NFC South is our best case scenario. That’s 10-6 with head to head over everybody in what looks to be a weak division right now, and you split the Bucs or split the Saints while sweeping everyone else.

 

Negative.  We face an Andrew Luck-less Colts, the Titans have a good running game but as long as our D plays like it did against Philly, we should win that game (it's in Atlanta after all), the Houston game will be tough, we face the Rams and Seachickens at home (we play very well here and THEY have to travel east), and we should beat AZ comfortably. 

The truly BEST case scenario is we go into the bye at 7-1.  Realistically, we "should" be 6-2 or 5-3 at worst.   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, thamill said:

Negative.  We face an Andrew Luck-less Colts, the Titans have a good running game but as long as our D plays like it did against Philly, we should win that game (it's in Atlanta after all), the Houston game will be tough, we face the Rams and Seachickens at home (we play very well here and THEY have to travel east), and we should beat AZ comfortably. 

The truly BEST case scenario is we go into the bye at 7-1.  Realistically, we "should" be 6-2 or 5-3 at worst.   

The Colts are still a lot better than most people think. They were considered as Super Bowl contenders before Andrew Luck retired, and most of their roster is still the same. Brissett isn’t that bad and if not for missed field goals in week 1, they’re 2-0 instead of 1-1. The AFC style of football has hurt the Falcons lately, and with the big physical O-line and run game the Colts have, they can exploit the Vikings game plan on us again if we don’t be careful. Vegas has the Falcons as underdogs because we’re 1-5 against the spread in our last 6 road games, but 1-10 in our last 11 AFC games don’t help either. The Titans or any AFC opponent in Atlanta hasn’t helped the Falcons 1-11 home record the last 6 seasons.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Again, why the **** should we be concerned with the problems of other teams in the NFC South? No one gave a **** about us and ours last year. If we beat them, then they'd mention their injury issues as an excuse and if we don't then they'd mention their injury issues as a problem with our team. It's a Catch .22.

**** 'em.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, thamill said:

Negative.  We face an Andrew Luck-less Colts, the Titans have a good running game but as long as our D plays like it did against Philly, we should win that game (it's in Atlanta after all), the Houston game will be tough, we face the Rams and Seachickens at home (we play very well here and THEY have to travel east), and we should beat AZ comfortably. 

The truly BEST case scenario is we go into the bye at 7-1.  Realistically, we "should" be 6-2 or 5-3 at worst.   

You really need to go take a better look at the Colts.  Go watch the highlights. I didn’t know they had Justin Houston until recently.

Also do you know who is a better rushing team than the Titans?  The Colts.  They’re number 2 in the league.

Seriously,  you should go take another look at the Colts.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

You really need to go take a better look at the Colts.  Go watch the highlights. I didn’t know they had Justin Houston until recently.

Also do you know who is a better rushing team than the Titans?  The Colts.  They’re number 2 in the league.

Seriously,  you should go take another look at the Colts.

They are #2 in the league in rushing with 2 games in.  Yes they have Houston.  He is good but he is not the same Houston from 5 years ago.  Mack is solid but can be bottled up.  He had 51 yards on 21 carries last week.  They have a good OL.  I give them credit but we won't get gashed like we did against Minnesota.        

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, mqg96 said:

The Colts are still a lot better than most people think. They were considered as Super Bowl contenders before Andrew Luck retired, and most of their roster is still the same. Brissett isn’t that bad and if not for missed field goals in week 1, they’re 2-0 instead of 1-1. The AFC style of football has hurt the Falcons lately, and with the big physical O-line and run game the Colts have, they can exploit the Vikings game plan on us again if we don’t be careful. Vegas has the Falcons as underdogs because we’re 1-5 against the spread in our last 6 road games, but 1-10 in our last 11 AFC games don’t help either. The Titans or any AFC opponent in Atlanta hasn’t helped the Falcons 1-11 home record the last 6 seasons.

And historically we have lost to big physical teams.  Then this year our DL got run stuffers in Bailey and Davidson.  The reason we lost to Minny was because of early turnovers and we couldn't seal the edge against the run.  Cook averaged 2 YPC up the middle against us.  The edge guys played disciplined against Philly and you saw the result.  The defense has to play disciplined.  If it does we win.  I will take a shaky Matt Ryan over Jacoby Brisset anyday.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, BoomGoesTheDynamite said:

Even if they rush him back after 6 weeks, I don't think Brees will be 100% yet. Older you get, the longer it takes to completely heal. I should know :(

Quinn is just gonna focus on Indy for now, and I'm hoping for another great performance by the D, less INT's from MR, and hopefully get the run game really going. 

That’s what I said about an hour ago to a Taints co worker. I just can’t see Brees coming back several weeks with a repaired hand blazing trails. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, SoldMySoul said:

That’s what I said about an hour ago to a Taints co worker. I just can’t see Brees coming back several weeks with a repaired hand blazing trails. 

He has to have the surgery.

It has to heal. THEN he has to rehab.

I think this is what people either aren't thinking about or don't want to think about.  His grip strength and stamina.  

Ok so first he has to work back to the point he can just hold the ball.  Then he has to work on the ability and stamina to hold the ball while throwing.  Then there's the fatigue he's going to have throwing in games.  He's going to have to work to get his arm strength back because he's not throwing the ball until he can hold it.

I don't know if people remember but years back Farve injured his thumb and nowhere near as bad as Brees.  Anyway he kept playing and several times he would wind up to throw and the ball would just pop out.  I can see that happening with Brees those first couple of games back especially towards the end of games.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

He has to have the surgery.

It has to heal. THEN he has to rehab.

I think this is what people either aren't thinking about or don't want to think about.  His grip strength and stamina.  

Ok so first he has to work back to the point he can just hold the ball.  Then he has to work on the ability and stamina to hold the ball while throwing.  Then there's the fatigue he's going to have throwing in games.  He's going to have to work to get his arm strength back because he's not throwing the ball until he can hold it.

I don't know if people remember but years back Farve injured his thumb and nowhere near as bad as Brees.  Anyway he kept playing and several times he would wind up to throw and the ball would just pop out.  I can see that happening with Brees those first couple of games back especially towards the end of games.

Spot on!! I just don’t see it getting perfect that soon. If the saints lose 3-4 while his out they just won’t be able to catch up. Add several weeks out and getting back to normal. They may get lucky with 8-8 seasons. Teddy B will not save their season.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...