FalconsIn2012

What We Know After Two Weeks: Quinn & Belichick

81 posts in this topic

50 minutes ago, enginerd said:

I like data such as this. Thanks for posting! It will be interesting to see if Miami continues to be the dumpster fire that they currently are and how that pads the stats for all teams they face come the end of the season. 

I think data such as this is completely 100% irrelevant in a two-game sample against completely different opponents.

Ovie_Lover and falcons007 like this

9 minutes ago, Ovie_Lover said:

Flowers is no where near their best defensive player lol!!!!!

You can make an argument for Flower or McCourty.  From the NE site:

2. Trey Flowers

The stock of Trey Flowers continued to rise in 2018.  In fact, he may have become too expensive for the New England Patriots to maintain.

With 57 combined tackles and 7.5 sacks, there was no doubt the fourth-year defensive end was the heart of the Patriots defensive line.  The numbers don’t jump off the page, but his versatility and dependability were reliable throughout the regular season when healthy.

In the playoffs and Super Bowl, he simply took it to another level with physicality and a demand for stopping the run and getting pressure on the quarterback in big spots.  Simply put, Trey Flowers has done everything necessary to earn a big contract.  Depending on his motivation after winning two Super Bowls with the Patriots, he may very well cash in someplace else.

8 minutes ago, Dr Long Shot said:

I think data such as this is completely 100% irrelevant in a two-game sample against completely different opponents.

Do the games count the same as Week 17?  The stats matter.  As I said in the OP, we don’t know a ton based off two games, but we can tell a few things already.

And I didn’t compare Falcons & Patriots.  I was providing stats for the only two HC’s also moonlighting as DC

1 minute ago, Ergo Proxy said:

If only we could let players walk...

You’d love to keep em all.  But Flowers was overpaid and they had Trent’s replacement on the roster so it made sense

Imagine not having the average starting field position problem; from turnovers to gimpy Bosher, and then not having the week 1 major hiccup with our edge discipline.

No one is gonna get more with overturn than Belichick. It’s why he sticks around. Keeps them relevant with consistent Defense year to year.

Top 8 is their average in points allowed this past decade iirc.

1 hour ago, FalconsIn2020 said:

Admittedly, You don’t know a whole lot after two weeks, but an identity has started to be formed  and here is what we know:

• Belichick & Quinn still have it as DC’s.  They are the only two HC’s also moonlighting as DC, and the results speak for themselves:

¥ Total Defense: NE is #1.  ATL is #3

¥ Yards Per Play: NE is #1.  ATL is #4

• Turnovers:  the Falcons have to get this under control.  Teams average drive starts at the 50 yard line.  You can really see the impact when looking at Opponents Yards Per Point:

¥ NE is #1 making teams go a staggering 164 yards per point allowed..LOLOL.  #2 is at 35 yards per point.

¥ ATL is tied with Miami for dead last.  Teams have to go just 11 yards per point allowed

- Conclusion: Quinn still has it.  The offense has held us back but once the turnover issue and run game get on track, watch out.  Could be a special year.

P.S.  Patriots let their best OL and defensive player walk.  The results: 

• Offense: 38 ppg

- Defense: 1.5 ppg

Could you imagine a Julio Jones vs Antonio Brown SB?

FalconsIn2012 likes this

1 minute ago, FalconsIn2020 said:

You’d love to keep em all.  But Flowers was overpaid and they had Trent’s replacement on the roster so it made sense

You mean Wynn? Poor dude with the injuries tho.

FalconsIn2012 likes this

6 minutes ago, FalconsIn2020 said:

You can make an argument for Flower or McCourty.  From the NE site:

2. Trey Flowers

The stock of Trey Flowers continued to rise in 2018.  In fact, he may have become too expensive for the New England Patriots to maintain.

With 57 combined tackles and 7.5 sacks, there was no doubt the fourth-year defensive end was the heart of the Patriots defensive line.  The numbers don’t jump off the page, but his versatility and dependability were reliable throughout the regular season when healthy.

In the playoffs and Super Bowl, he simply took it to another level with physicality and a demand for stopping the run and getting pressure on the quarterback in big spots.  Simply put, Trey Flowers has done everything necessary to earn a big contract.  Depending on his motivation after winning two Super Bowls with the Patriots, he may very well cash in someplace else.

Lol ok so let me get this straight. You would take Flowers over Hightower, McCourty, or Gilmore?

6 minutes ago, Ovie_Lover said:

Lol ok so let me get this straight. You would take Flowers over Hightower, McCourty, or Gilmore?

I value secondary over LB or DL.  But I would certainly take him over Hightower.  

I would say Gilmore, then Flowers, then McCourty/Hightower

11 minutes ago, FalconsIn2020 said:

I value secondary over LB or DL.  But I would certainly take him over Hightower.  

I would say Gilmore, then Flowers, then McCourty/Hightower

You already said he was their best defensive player.

So you're saying, Flowers who hasnt even gotten double digit sacks and the Patriots let walk is better than... Gilmore (one of the best CB in the game), Hightower thei coverage and blitz guy (the best blitzing MLB in the game), and McCourty (one of the top FS in the game). Lol... really? You sure he's better than them?

BB keeps the guys he can't replace. Flowers is replaceable and the others arent, so how is he better?? Lol

Just now, Ovie_Lover said:

You already said he was their best defensive player.

So you're saying, Flowers who hasnt even gotten double digit sacks and the Patriots let walk is better than... Gilmore (one of the best CB in the game), Hightower thei coverage and blitz guy (the best blitzing MLB in the game), and McCourty (one of the top FS in the game). Lol... really? You sure he's better than them?

I forgot about Gilmore.  He is a player.  And since I value secondary over DL, yes, I would prefer Gilmore over Flowers

Just now, FalconsIn2020 said:

I forgot about Gilmore.  He is a player.  And since I value secondary over DL, yes, I would prefer Gilmore over Flowers

You said Flowers was better tho

5 minutes ago, Ovie_Lover said:

You said Flowers was better tho

No, I said I forgot about Gilmore.  Once you mentioned him, I agreed he is a bit better player

Just now, FalconsIn2020 said:

No, I said I forgot about Gilmore.  Once you mentioned him, I agreed he is a bit better player

Ok cool so a top nfl corner who they sought after in FA is only a bit better than a guy who's never had double digit sacks and the team had no problem letting walk. Lol

Not to be a debbie downer but isnt Zimmer also a HC/DC?! And didnt he put foots to our rears?! Jus askin for the factually correct.

5 minutes ago, Ovie_Lover said:

Ok cool so a top nfl corner who they sought after in FA is only a bit better than a guy who's never had double digit sacks and the team had no problem letting walk. Lol

Did somebody pee in your Cheerios?

The sky is blue....HIVE SOP DAP

4 minutes ago, HULK said:

Not to be a debbie downer but isnt Zimmer also a HC/DC?! And didnt he put foots to our rears?! Jus askin for the factually correct.

George Edwards is the Vikings DC.  But Zimmer has his hands all over that D

HULK likes this

32 minutes ago, FalconsIn2020 said:

George Edwards is the Vikings DC.  But Zimmer has his hands all over that D

Giggidy

13 hours ago, Jpowers said:

Kinda feels like we don't know ****. I'm guessing historically speaking that applies after two weeks year in and year out.

At Week 3 last season:

Top Offenses: KC, Rams, Saints, Steelers (only NE wasn’t in the top 5).

Top Defenses: Baltimore, Jacksonville, Bears (Seahawks & Browns finished season top 5 but were not there after Week 2)

So 7 of 10 units that finished top-5 in 2018 were also top 5 after Week 2.  So it is early, but not too early to see where things are headed

31 minutes ago, FalconsIn2020 said:

At Week 3 last season:

Top Offenses: KC, Rams, Saints, Steelers (only NE wasn’t in the top 5).

Top Defenses: Baltimore, Jacksonville, Bears (Seahawks & Browns finished season top 5 but were not there after Week 2)

So 7 of 10 units that finished top-5 in 2018 were also top 5 after Week 2.  So it is early, but not too early to see where things are headed

Steelers didnt finish top 5 in offense.

Seahawks and Browns didnt finish in top 5 defense either

Injuries can change a lot of things.

Players can develop.

Coaches can change things.

We don't know anything after week 2.

Dr Long Shot likes this