Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
birdz4i

Colts face challenge in Falcons star WR duo

15 posts in this topic

By: Kevin Hickey | 6 hours ago

The Indianapolis Colts will return home for their home opener at Lucas Oil Stadium on Sunday playing host to an Atlanta Falcons offense that features one of the best wide receiver duos in the NFL.

As the Colts prepare for the Week 3 matchup, the defensive gameplan from Matt Eberflus is likely to revolve around stopping Julio Jones and Calvin Ridley—both of which are off to hot starts.

Jones is a household name who has been wrecking the league ever since he was selected with the No. 6 overall pick in 2011. He’s recorded no fewer than 1,400 receiving yards in each of the last five seasons and is enjoying a strong start to the 2019 campaign.

Through two games Jones has recorded 11 receptions for 137 yards and three touchdowns while averaging 12.5 yards per catch.

The Colts don’t have a cornerback that will follow Jones throughout the game. Their zone-heavy scheme won’t call for that. But there is a high chance that rookie cornerback Rock Ya-Sin will see his share of snaps lined up against the 30-year-old Jones.

As exciting as Ya-Sin is as a rookie, the Colts must make sure this matchup doesn’t wind up burning them on Sunday. Jones is a game-wrecker and could be the key for the Falcons’ offensive success in Week 3.

On the other side of the formation will be the second-year in Ridley, who is having another strong start to the season. Through two games, Ridley has eight catches for 105 yards and one touchdown. He’s coming off of a rookie campaign that saw him catch 64 passes for 821 yards and 10 touchdowns.

There were those that believed regression would be in the mix for the 2018 first-round pick (myself included), but that doesn’t appear to be the case for the start of the campaign. Ridley is a polished route runner and can make plays downfield consistently.

The Colts defense hasn’t faced a duo like Jones and Ridley during this young season. They saw Keenan Allen in Week 1—en route to allowing eight receptions for 123 yards and a touchdown.

There will be plenty of other assignments for the defense to key in on during the Week 3 matchup, but stopping the duo of Jones and Ridley will be the top priority at Lucas Oil Stadium on Sunday.

https://coltswire.usatoday.com/2019/09/18/indianapolis-colts-atlanta-falcons-julio-jones-calvin-ridley/

5 hours ago, MD-FalconFan13 said:

The yardage for Ridley is off. He has 169 yards and 2 TDs...

The yardage listed was from the Eagles game only

Ridley has an ability to get in that end zone whether it’s a long ball, or even short field. He has phenomenal separation out of his cuts. Already has 2 TDs and had 10 last year. This kid is freaking amazing.

7 hours ago, gazoo said:

Ridley has an ability to get in that end zone whether it’s a long ball, or even short field. He has phenomenal separation out of his cuts. Already has 2 TDs and had 10 last year. This kid is freaking amazing.

He should've had 3tds against the Eagles.

Ryan overthrew one in the endzone where Ridley burned Darby and the other one where Ridley was in between double coverage in the endzone, but Ridley didn't bring the ball in in enough time before the Eagles DB broke it up.

gazoo, Drew4719 and oztin like this

You cannot leave out Sanu...I feel he will have a big game this weekend, as well as Freeman in the passing game.   

I am loving Julio and Ridley so much right now. Roddy and Julio are tied for my all time favorites, but I think Ridley and JJ will be even better than than those two together. I think its funny so many writers are saying they thought Ridley would take a step back. Did you even watch his 2018 or just look at stats? This dude is as crisp a WR as i've seen in a long time. 

Just gotta hope our line gives time. If so, Colts DBs are just ****ed. Somebody might get Bene'd and wind up off the team.

rounz likes this

59 minutes ago, blackredfellow said:

I am loving Julio and Ridley so much right now. Roddy and Julio are tied for my all time favorites, but I think Ridley and JJ will be even better than than those two together. I think its funny so many writers are saying they thought Ridley would take a step back. Did you even watch his 2018 or just look at stats? This dude is as crisp a WR as i've seen in a long time. 

Just gotta hope our line gives time. If so, Colts DBs are just ****ed. Somebody might get Bene'd and wind up off the team.

just stats

1 hour ago, blackredfellow said:

My only criticism of Ridley, outside of the drops which through 2 games he seems to appear to have corrected, is when he catches the ball and runs away from the LOS before turning up field.  **** drives me insane.  I know he is doing it to try to create separation for more yards but turn it upfield young man!  Other than that, the kid is an absolute stud.  His route running is next level.

I cannot believe we are in the middle of going from the greatness that was Roddy/Julio to Julio/Ridley.  #blessed

SoldMySoul and Tim Mazetti like this