Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
FentayeJones

Another Baldy Breakdown

42 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, Atlantafan21 said:

Haven’t seen enough praise from the media for the job our d-line did against a GREAT eagles o-line. We’ve been waiting for Takk and Beasley to show up like they did against Philly. They were always the missing link to a truly good defense, if they can keep it up there’s no reason our D can’t or won’t be top 5 at the end of the year. 

I mentioned this in another thread last week with regards to players playing with others.Thee example I used was Bailey stunting in Run D to keep Beasley free in space so he could make the play which he did for minimal gain.

This is the DQ mantra when he said using and putting players in positions to succeed.

We are seeing more and more from our much maligned edge players as the season goes on.

Cole World and Atlantafan21 like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Ergo Proxy said:

Ya and I recall 2017; while not a very efficient defense at getting off the field before the stretch and playoffs, they also did not allow many big plays at all.

My only gripe with 2017 D is not getting more out of the DL while Poe was here. Takk doing way more now. Granted, he was a rookie before but this has a chance to be what many thought 2017 D was.

Falcons went to allowing one of least explosive plays in 2017 to most in 2018. 

Its addition of Davison and Bailey which is helping the edge guys. Davison is looking like open highway robbery for 795 k per year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

Falcons went to allowing one of least explosive plays in 2017 to most in 2018. 

Its addition of Davison and Bailey which is helping the edge guys. Davison is looking like open highway robbery for 795 k per year.

Yep I’ve already got these 2 pencilled as must keeps for next year.Baileys already signed but I’d be looking to keep Davison aswell.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, falcons007 said:

Falcons went to allowing one of least explosive plays in 2017 to most in 2018. 

Its addition of Davison and Bailey which is helping the edge guys. Davison is looking like open highway robbery for 795 k per year.

Everyone kept overlooking Davison as just another McClain bust signing because of the price.

like, 1 gap nose tackles that aren’t all pro just aren’t commanding a lot on the open market. Heck even the saints paid to upgrade from Davison by going with a 2gap type player in Malcom Brown.

Tyeler really wants that long term deal. If it were cheap I’d keep him a few years but at this point I’m still hopeful for Deadrin’s progress.

falcons007 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kiwifalcon said:

Yep I’ve already got these 2 pencilled as must keeps for next year.Baileys already signed but I’d be looking to keep Davison aswell.

Absolutely. 

kiwifalcon likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kiwifalcon said:

Yep I’ve already got these 2 pencilled as must keeps for next year.Baileys already signed but I’d be looking to keep Davison aswell.

Honestly, if John Cominsky can improve and replace Bailey in base run D; assuming the season goes well and we like the multiple fronts...

Cut Bailey; he only has $1.5M dead money and we gain $4.5M cap relief. Use that on Davison as I believe he may be more critical. Drafting front 7 next year and would love to focus on Vic’s replacement if we can’t afford him or want him vs his UFA price...that and investing more into the DL in general. Let’s us focus on pass rushers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Ergo Proxy said:

Everyone kept overlooking Davison as just another McClain bust signing because of the price.

like, 1 gap nose tackles that aren’t all pro just aren’t commanding a lot on the open market. Heck even the saints paid to upgrade from Davison by going with a 2gap type player in Malcom Brown.

Tyeler really wants that long term deal. If it were cheap I’d keep him a few years but at this point I’m still hopeful for Deadrin’s progress.

Me and   @Vandy we’re excited about those signings. The Vikings for most part ran in to wall in the middle. It was the edges, especially Takk and Clayborne who let Cook get outside.

Schwarzwald and Vandy like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Ergo Proxy said:

Honestly, if John Cominsky can improve and replace Bailey in base run D; assuming the season goes well and we like the multiple fronts...

Cut Bailey; he only has $1.5M dead money and we gain $4.5M cap relief. Use that on Davison as I believe he may be more critical. Drafting front 7 next year and would love to focus on Vic’s replacement if we can’t afford him or want him vs his UFA price...that and investing more into the DL in general. Let’s us focus on pass rushers.

You can never have enough DL. This cap saving mentality is what gets teams in trouble. I would say take decisions after draft. 

Vandy likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, falcons007 said:

Me and   @Vandy we’re excited about those signings. The Vikings for most part ran in to wall in the middle. It was the edges, especially Takk and Clayborne who let Cook get outside.

Count me in on that group that was up for the Davison signing. I thought even in 4-3 our run D would be much better with him over McClain. He was no scrub and NO had good run defense last couple years.

Vandy likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

You can never have enough DL. This cap saving mentality is what gets teams in trouble. I would say take decisions after draft. 

Just depends on what it takes to be under rule of 51 and who has to go first. I agree on not cutting Bailey just to cut him. Good player just to make the tough decisions...TD will need a cap savvy offseason similar to the work put in retaining guys this offseason...just a lot of tough decisions but that’s for later. I’d rather they sort it out and we try to understand it later but I like trying to get a pulse on some things

I like seeing John sprinkled in for NFL game reps already. Ease him into a bigger role as the season goes along and we could have a nice jump next year.

falcons007 and Vandy like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

Me and   @Vandy we’re excited about those signings. The Vikings for most part ran in to wall in the middle. It was the edges, especially Takk and Clayborne who let Cook get outside.

Still can’t believe aints let Davison get away, 007. 

And the A Bailey signing too.....TD worked some magic persuading those two to sign such team-friendly contracts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Ergo Proxy said:

Just depends on what it takes to be under rule of 51 and who has to go first. I agree on not cutting Bailey just to cut him. Good player just to make the tough decisions...TD will need a cap savvy offseason similar to the work put in retaining guys this offseason...just a lot of tough decisions but that’s for later. I’d rather they sort it out and we try to understand it later but I like trying to get a pulse on some things

I like seeing John sprinkled in for NFL game reps already. Ease him into a bigger role as the season goes along and we could have a nice jump next year.

I am not worried about next year. TD did a good job in locking up Grady, Debo and Julio. I rather cut Freeman and keep a Lineman. Falcons can draft some of the replacement of role players. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Vandy said:

Still can’t believe aints let Davison get away, 007. 

And the A Bailey signing too.....TD worked some magic persuading those two to sign such team-friendly contracts.

They signed Malcolm Brown in the offseason from Patriots. Lot of folks here down played loss of Poe but middle of the line last year was a one man Grady show. I can see a career year for Grady Jarret. 

Vandy likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Davison is a keeper at Vic's expense imho...sign him long term and u got him and Grady holding the middle down going forward. Bailey's got another year...so good there. I would extend Crawford too...at Vic's expense also...Cominsky gets developed to take Vic's spot. there's a lotta good than can be done with Vic's cap hit...

Edited by sanfranfalcon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Ergo Proxy said:

Honestly, if John Cominsky can improve and replace Bailey in base run D; assuming the season goes well and we like the multiple fronts...

Cut Bailey; he only has $1.5M dead money and we gain $4.5M cap relief. Use that on Davison as I believe he may be more critical. Drafting front 7 next year and would love to focus on Vic’s replacement if we can’t afford him or want him vs his UFA price...that and investing more into the DL in general. Let’s us focus on pass rushers.

It’s an interesting one but it if you put a gun to my head over who I’d keep Bailey to me is a key keep.Cominsky is still a long way away for me and I’m like our Oline draft picks are in no real hurry to replace either guy.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0