NeonDeion

DK versus Sark

37 posts in this topic

Just now, AllStarHandyMan said:

I would say 50/50 the defense and that screen pass won the game..

Now the 1st Julio touchdown looked kind of the same when we faced them in the playoff...  ryan runs right looking for Julio !! This time it worked

It’s not the same that play from Sunday was not designed for Ryan to run to the right

Ergo Proxy, Flyin' In DC and atljbo like this

Just now, Ryan2Julio11 said:

It’s not the same that play from Sunday was not designed for Ryan to run to the right

Well I stand corrected! Lol well it work

27 minutes ago, AllStarHandyMan said:

Now the 1st Julio touchdown looked kind of the same when we faced them in the playoff...  ryan runs right looking for Julio !! This time it worked

25 minutes ago, Ryan2Julio11 said:

It was an RPO. DK said he thought Ryan handed the ball to RB. He pulled it out and decided to throw.

Dont really know. Alot of Sark plays was well drawn up, but not executed properly. Sometimes he would have a brain fart tho. Like that pass play that went through Julio's hand against them 2 years ago. Why would he have the FB (Coleman) split out wide? 

1 hour ago, falcons007 said:

It was an RPO. DK said he thought Ryan handed the ball to RB. He pulled it out and decided to throw.

Well that's a smart move that payed off!!

I honestly think it would have been a 50/50 toss up. Sarks last 2 games literally came down to the players not executing and finishing plays. People can refuse to see that during Sarks tenure all they want but those 2 games certainly came down to that. Last years game and the playoffs came down to one play that wasn't made at the end of each game. Monday nights game literally could have seen the same exact outcome. That's just the NFL for ya.

1 hour ago, falcons007 said:

At the game, I was looking at Ito too. I thought we had a TD and noticed he didn’t have the ball and see Ryan running to the right

12 minutes ago, E. T. said:

Probably would have seen a jetsweep to Julio from Sark instead of that flawless bubble screen in the end. But who knows honestly.

Sarkisian called the exact same play and was executed exactly the same for a TD against Washington last year to clinch the game.

Not sure Sarkisian would have had the courage to call that play on 4th and 3 though with the game on the line.  There were a lot of screens blown up in the Sarkisian era.  

lee sunset likes this

Remember Sark's offense was utilizing the majority of Shanahan's West Coast concepts, which is a lot more timing and quick throws.  DK's offense, (even that we're using terminology initiated from Shanahan's offense) is more 5-7 step drop, and pushing ball down field.  If Sark was OC for this game, I would argue we would have been up be 2 touchdowns, as Ryan wouldn't have been put in the position to throw two of his three interceptions, due to the ball already being out of his hand.  The INT in the end zone was just bad play by Ryan.  

But, fun to discuss, we will never know.

2 minutes ago, Peyton said:

Sarkisian called the exact same play and was executed exactly the same for a TD against Washington last year to clinch the game.

Not sure Sarkisian would have had the courage to call that play on 4th and 3 though with the game on the line.  There were a lot of screens blown up in the Sarkisian era.  

Yes, I remember that play against Washington... but I don't think I myself would have had the courage to call that play on 4th and 3. What we're not mentioning is Matt Ryan's role and what he audibled afterwards. That was Ballsy.

No, because at that point in the game the score would've been 17-6 Philly, so whatever Sark called wouldn't have changed anything outcome-wise.  

I don't think Sark was terrible, but I think that he just wasn't ready for the type of forward planning and in-game adjustment you need in the NFL.  Like chess, where you need to be 5 moves ahead of your opponent.  Sark didn't have that 'tween the ears.

17 minutes ago, E. T. said:

Yes, I remember that play against Washington... but I don't think I myself would have had the courage to call that play on 4th and 3. What we're not mentioning is Matt Ryan's role and what he audibled afterwards. That was Ballsy.

DK gave him that specific audible for that coverage.  The Falcons had that play in their pocket and were going to check to it the first time they saw zero coverage on that final drive. That's what Matt said after the game.

E. T. likes this

Who knows.

Sark called a similar play vs the Rams in the playoffs that was a game clincher.

We also had pretty decent pass protection for most of the night......which is not something that we had for most of 18.

Since we have DK and Sark is not here.....at the end of the day there is really only one response.......

3 hours ago, AllStarHandyMan said:

That looked like an RPO that Ryan just scrambled on.

1 hour ago, ya_boi_j said:

I honestly think it would have been a 50/50 toss up. Sarks last 2 games literally came down to the players not executing and finishing plays. People can refuse to see that during Sarks tenure all they want but those 2 games certainly came down to that. Last years game and the playoffs came down to one play that wasn't made at the end of each game. Monday nights game literally could have seen the same exact outcome. That's just the NFL for ya.

This. Sark wasn't the greatest, but let's not act like he didn't have this team one play away twice. Those plays succeed, the story is different. 

But I will say Sark was too respecting of the other team's defense while Koetter will hold his nuts. That's why I've always liked him. He will attack you and make you defend the entire field instead of just conceding ground before making them work. We all know that Eagles secondary was atrocious and susceptible to double moves in the playoffs and Sark didn't run a single one. Koetter knew the Eagles secondary was trash and attacked the weakest link all game. 

1 hour ago, octoslash said:

No, because at that point in the game the score would've been 17-6 Philly, so whatever Sark called wouldn't have changed anything outcome-wise.  

I don't think Sark was terrible, but I think that he just wasn't ready for the type of forward planning and in-game adjustment you need in the NFL.  Like chess, where you need to be 5 moves ahead of your opponent.  Sark didn't have that 'tween the ears.

Yep. Sark wasn't really great at calling things to set stuff up for later. He didn't have much foresight, just called plays in the moment. It works in college when the talent disparity is clear, but not in the NFL when you need to scheme just as much as the players play. That audible Matt called is a perfect marriage of OC and Talent working together. Dirk knew what Schwartz was gonna do before Schwartz even did it and made sure his players were ready to capitalize on it. 

Ergo Proxy, NeonDeion and octoslash like this

Considering we should have blown them out at home, it’s not really fair to compare it by results only given he played them twice in Philly and Matt has always struggled there.

That said, even Dirk had to agree to let Mularkey come on board so the run game and line wouldn’t be so dependent on the OC.  In my opinion, this was to ensure this situation with Sark didn’t repeat with the struggles to run the ball. To be determined on that?

I think Dirk is more of a risk taker and in that way closer to what Kyle was for the team, but even Quinn admitted after 2017 that Sark wasn’t given enough of a support staff and highlighted everyone that left with Kyle.

So, I think Dirk understands  more the details at the NFL level, but maybe Sark could’ve gotten there if he was given the kind of support Kyle utilized.

Of course, that doesn’t mean Sark would have utilized it properly. Kyle knew what he wanted to get out of different people helping him do his job. Let’s see how far we go with Dirk getting the support system in place from the get go. 

vel, NeonDeion and octoslash like this

4 hours ago, Ryan2Julio11 said:

It was actually an RPO, so Ryan decided on the snap to not run the ball and look for Julio, probably identified he would be one on one and liked his chances. Sarks play was a designed bootleg without any options... once Julio slipped it was a done deal. 

*EDIT: I'll add that it was one of the calls I hated the most from the Sark offense, right up there with the jet sweep at the goalline. 

Edited by Dr Long Shot

1 hour ago, No.11 said:

That looked like an RPO that Ryan just scrambled on.

It 100% was, Dirk said so during the post game. Said he had no idea Ryan was going to pass and actually thought Ito had the ball there before Ryan scrambled out of the pocket. 

No.11 likes this

1 hour ago, Ergo Proxy said:

Considering we should have blown them out at home, it’s not really fair to compare it by results only given he played them twice in Philly and Matt has always struggled there.

That said, even Dirk had to agree to let Mularkey come on board so the run game and line wouldn’t be so dependent on the OC.  In my opinion, this was to ensure this situation with Sark didn’t repeat with the struggles to run the ball. To be determined on that?

I think Dirk is more of a risk taker and in that way closer to what Kyle was for the team, but even Quinn admitted after 2017 that Sark wasn’t given enough of a support staff and highlighted everyone that left with Kyle.

So, I think Dirk understands  more the details at the NFL level, but maybe Sark could’ve gotten there if he was given the kind of support Kyle utilized.

Of course, that doesn’t mean Sark would have utilized it properly. Kyle knew what he wanted to get out of different people helping him do his job. Let’s see how far we go with Dirk getting the support system in place from the get go. 

Sark was an apprentice OC in NFL. It’s too early to compare as DK is getting familiar with the offense. That said, I think Matt Ryan under Dirk will have more picks with those deep routes and 5-7 step drops.