jdawg4876

nice breakdown by simms

71 posts in this topic

44 minutes ago, gazoo said:

I believe this is sooooooooooooooooo far over many fans heads they don’t have any idea what that has to do with Freeman the first two games of season not looking the same. 

Some don’t understand timing, the need for all players to be on same page, how that impacts the players individually if the other 10 aren’t on same page and how that doesn’t just magically happen if there are several new players and a new coordinator. It takes a lot of snaps together as a unit to get humming on all cylinders.

I wasn’t freaking out at all after the Vikings debacle and tried to explain what happened, few seemed to understand and went into full fledged panic mode. I further confused many by saying we would experience more growing pains on offense in that thread prior to Eagles game. So far the season is going pretty much as a suspected after end of preseason. Offense is behind defense, but both showing rapid improvement in most areas. By mid season, look out!

I knew some of this...Crazy to hire a different scheme without trading Freeman.

They don't play starters in the preseason to know early. Whole staff careers are at stake here...

Edited by Rise

meh, simms picked the iggies to win sunday. Don't care much for anything he has to say, he's just another media talking head. Yeah, I know, he played the game. but he played about as well as he picks the winners  

:tiphat:

Dr Long Shot likes this

I think people are giving up on Free too early, looking at the box stats after the game too much.  The Eagles were sending the house the entire game.  Ito and Free both struggled running the ball.  Ito broke one in the running game which made his stats look better, but he had 3 carries for 4 yards outside of that one he broke.  In contrast, Free's stats got crushed by losing 11 yards on 2 plays because he got blown up by missed blocks before he ever got going.  His other 9 carries went for 33, usually picking up 3+.  Free also looked good on his 28 yard gain setting up the TD opening the 2nd half.

I do agree that Ito is faster and can spring one, but I don't think he is the better workhorse.  I think Free is the better every down back.  It's tough to see it right now because of the DL's and the flow of those 2 games.  I was more worried about Free after week 1.  I thought he looked better yesterday.  

For comparison, after busting one, Ito ended up with 6 touches for 45 yards.  Free's 12 touches went for 75 yards.  Those 2 negative plays for -11 yards were not due to Free, they just crushed his stats.  In my opinion, if people do their job, we'll see Freeman do what he does.  

gazoo likes this

I initially shared the whole "Sims couldn't play, why are we listening to him" approach, but honestly, he gave a good outline of what went right and what went wrong.

Part of it is tone.  His "you can't do that" and "Matt should have done this" or "Wentz should have done that" comes across as "*I* would have done this or that."  We all know he wouldn't have.  But I do think there is value in his 20/20 hindsight.  I bet Matt Ryan wouldn't have disagreed with much, if any, of what he said.

gazoo, Geneaut, Ergo Proxy and 1 other like this

3 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

I initially shared the whole "Sims couldn't play, why are we listening to him" approach, but honestly, he gave a good outline of what went right and what went wrong.

Part of it is tone.  His "you can't do that" and "Matt should have done this" or "Wentz should have done that" comes across as "*I* would have done this or that."  We all know he wouldn't have.  But I do think there is value in his 20/20 hindsight.  I bet Matt Ryan wouldn't have disagreed with much, if any, of what he said.

I thought he was fair with Ryan.  He might've been a little too fair, giving him too high of a grade.  I wouldn't have given him a B+.  His check to Julio did help win the game, but his 3 INT's made the game way closer than it needed to be.  I think a C would've been more accurate.  I sincerely doubt Ryan thinks he played well in that game, and B+ is playing well.  3 INT's would typically be an F, his other good plays brought it up to a C in my opinion.

I thought he was too harsh on Freeman.  

JDaveG likes this

i have said befoe I have never been a Freeman fan but I dont want him to fail. But he really does seem to be used up. Kind of like when Turner Burned out. Lets hope I'm/ we arent right.

1 hour ago, pzummo said:

I thought he was fair with Ryan.  He might've been a little too fair, giving him too high of a grade.  I wouldn't have given him a B+.  His check to Julio did help win the game, but his 3 INT's made the game way closer than it needed to be.  I think a C would've been more accurate.  I sincerely doubt Ryan thinks he played well in that game, and B+ is playing well.  3 INT's would typically be an F, his other good plays brought it up to a C in my opinion.

I thought he was too harsh on Freeman.  

Yeah, the B+ for Matt was much too generous.  Hard to give a QB a grade much above a C with 3 INTs in one game.  Two of the Three INTs were clear mistakes on Matt's part.

One factor though when grading Matt is Philly was in "Cover Zero - All out Blitz" for most of the game - so with that much selling out and pressures, the QB would figure to make more mistakes than usual.

Boise Falcon Fan, JDaveG and pzummo like this

11 hours ago, NeonDeion said:

Quick burst to the hole is all about vision. His vision is elite. You don’t just lose “vision”. You get rust on it. He’s rusty with the new line. 

Could he be done? Sure. But I’m gonna wait at least 4 more games to say that 

A couple maybe, but 4 games?? That seems like a bit much. Ito definitely looks better, but who's to say he will look better over the long haul.  I agree that we should bury Free yet, but he needs to start showing something soon.

56 minutes ago, Skeetbird said:

i have said befoe I have never been a Freeman fan but I dont want him to fail. But he really does seem to be used up. Kind of like when Turner Burned out. Lets hope I'm/ we arent right.

This is exactly where I fall. 

Skeetbird likes this

14 hours ago, TheFatboi said:

Exactly. 2 games against good run defenses is not enough for me to say free is done. 

Ito wasn't doing much against the Eagles either. Had that one big run against a 6 man box (a look Freeman didn't see all game), but take that away and he averaged 1.3 ypc. Let's see Freeman get some holes before we call him dead. I haven't seen the hesitation from Free that some are claiming... looked great that first drive and then Eagles started run blitzing and hitting him 5 yards in the backfield. 

25 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

Yeah, the B+ for Matt was much too generous.  Hard to give a QB a grade much above a C with 3 INTs in one game.  Two of the Three INTs were clear mistakes on Matt's part.

One factor though when grading Matt is Philly was in "Cover Zero - All out Blitz" for most of the game - so with that much selling out and pressures, the QB would figure to make more mistakes than usual.

Agreed.  That's what brings it from an F to a C though, not up to a B+.  That's just crazy talk.  I think that goes to prognosticators giving too much credit to the QB for the W.  Our D deserves a LOT of credit for the win.

The first interception was a bad decision on Matt.  There were 3 defenders in Sanu's area.  Gage was 1 on 1 past the sticks.  That would've been the smarter throw.

I might get flamed, but I thought the second interception was actually on Julio.  The Eagles were sending 7.  It looks to me like Matt threw it up trusting Julio to go get it.  Julio never looked back until Darby broke from his coverage, which was way too late.  WR's need to know when the defense is bringing that much pressure.  The need to look back to help out their QB.  Watching the replay, I am good with Ryan rushing his throw against the blitz and his decision to throw it up for Julio in single coverage.  He had 2 seconds to make a decision, putting air under it for Julio in single coverage is not a bad decision.  I can't justify Julio not recognizing the Eagles putting 7 in the box and never turning his head around to see if his QB needed to get the ball out.

If you go back and watch each running play in succession the last 2 games, you will see the run blocking up front simply isn’t in sync yet. (Although  pass protection was solid Sunday) 

Freeman is showing patience as he’s waiting for his multiple blockers on a given play to create the hole to burst through, but the timing is off just a little bit. 

Its understandable. Not only did we replace 3 starting OL from last year, we also replaced our primary blocking TE who is also struggling, our TEs coach and our offensive coordinator. 

The 3 starting OL that were replaced have been rotating in and out with other OL, switching from  LG to RG etc due to injuries in preseason, so Ty, McGary, Lindstrom, Brown, Carpenter and Gono have all been shuffling around.

We should all know here it takes a starting OL unit a LOT of snaps to get their timing down and play as a single unit as opposed to 5 individuals. It also takes a RB a little time to sync with the OL.

Stocker is a perfect example. He was lauded here as a signing due to his good blocking and versatility. Yet, now we see posters saying he’s not a good blocker.  Well, if he was a good blocker in Tampa, he’s a good blocker. He is struggling not because he can’t block, he’s struggling trying the get in sync here.  

This stuff can take a few games for the offense to get in sync. Until then, just because a player appears to be in decline, doesn’t mean he is in decline. 

15 hours ago, TheFatboi said:

Meh. They loaded the box on him. They didn’t want us to get the run game going to be able to use play action. He literally ran passed the eagles defense on a dump off down to the 10. His issue right now to me is he doesn’t have his shiftiness right yet. 

Thank You, thank U, thx u.

Free hasn't played in over a year. I see players who missed OTAs and training camp being eased back into pro football. On snap counts.

I saw Free getting tackled on 2 plays right after he took the hand off. It's too early to make realistic judgments.

More on our offense and run game:

Look at the first clip. Notice how McGary is late getting off the double team with Jamon and misses his timing on releasing to take on the LB that wound up tackling Free

McGary can physically get to that play. Wash the LB out and Free could get past the 2nd level.

3 hours ago, papachaz said:

meh, simms picked the iggies to win sunday. Don't care much for anything he has to say, he's just another media talking head. Yeah, I know, he played the game. but he played about as well as he picks the winners  

:tiphat:

lol, word. No different than any other of the "experts" who looked silly last week. 

papachaz likes this

Free is OK jeez you guys on here are so quick to give up on a player!  We was not in the run mode playing catch up most of the game with Ryan forced INT's!  You wanna say Matt doesnt have it anymore...................................of COURSE NOT! TGWH.......figure it out!

15 hours ago, g-dawg said:

Simms isn’t biased “against” the Falcons.   You know his younger brother has played on Falcons practice squad for a few years, right?

Oh no I don't think that Simms is biased against us, I think that sports journalism will always be biased towards the team with the bigger fan base.

9 hours ago, g-dawg said:

Next year.  Save like $3mm against the cap if Falcons cut Free in 2020.

should have cut him Feb 2017, whining about contract during SB week, missed the block that started the slide......got his contract, collected two years of the salary and hasn't done squat since.

:ninja:

there, I said it  ;)

On 9/17/2019 at 10:04 PM, g-dawg said:

I said to @Vandy before the first game - Freeman has to play like 2016 SuperBowl Run Freeman to get his 2020 salary and not be cut.  He disagreed.

I am not ready to throw dirt on Free just yet - but something is missing and if he doesn’t find it soon this will be his last season as a Falcon - we already know the Falcons need to shed salary and AB ain’t running a charity in Flowery Branch.

LOL at this one. There’s plenty wrong with this team, blocking, tackling and coaching among the top issues... but obviously, nothing’s wrong with freeman.