jdawg4876

nice breakdown by simms

71 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, RING OF HONOR said:

Im seeing the same thing....Ito at some point will be the lead back...

Ollison needs to be on the game day roster....he adds an element we definitely need...

**** Free!!!!......Why Free!!!!! WHY!!!!

Father time as an NFL RB is short for most my friend.

58 minutes ago, TheFatboi said:

Exactly. 2 games against good run defenses is not enough for me to say free is done. 

It's almost like people think we played the Dolphins the first two games. Two of the best run defenses in the league for years and suddenly Free is done and we won't have a running game. 

1 hour ago, TheFatboi said:

Meh. They loaded the box on him. They didn’t want us to get the run game going to be able to use play action. He literally ran passed the eagles defense on a dump off down to the 10. His issue right now to me is he doesn’t have his shiftiness right yet. 

If you do not see that he's lost a step, plays around to much before he gets to the hole, then I can't help you. His mind is saying one thing and his body is saying another...the truth

Boise Falcon Fan likes this

Big talk from Simms. Our oline is terrible? I think they did a **** of a job vs the Eagles. Freeman done? Let me the man get warmed up. How long has he not played meaningful games and then comes out and faces a lively D week 1 and a very good D week 2?

To many kind of absolutes from Simms for me two weeks into a season. I see he’s still sticking to his pregame crap about us being desperate. 

With the quality of the run defense of the Vikes and Eagles, I can't just give up on Free. The straight-line speed is still there, you just aren't seeing the quick burst to the hole or those patented side-steps jukes yet.

For what it's worth, Quinn was saying in preseason he looked as ready as ever. I want to see him in at least three or four more games before pronouncing him done.

rounz and ATLskinjob like this

7 minutes ago, 32wood84white said:

Big talk from Simms. Our oline is terrible? I think they did a **** of a job vs the Eagles. Freeman done? Let me the man get warmed up. How long has he not played meaningful games and then comes out and faces a lively D week 1 and a very good D week 2?

To many kind of absolutes from Simms for me two weeks into a season. I see he’s still sticking to his pregame crap about us being desperate. 

Yeah I didn't find that to be exactly unbiased. Really pretty much just talked about what the Eagles did wrong and gave very little credit to what the Falcons were able to do. He barely even mentioned how our D line abused them and that that's the reason Wentz looked bad.

And calling Freeman done after two games against very tough defenses where we didn't run the ball at all? Bit of a hot take if you ask me. 

I get it though. Eagles are a bigger market team so you're going to bias a video like this towards the larger market. One reason I want the Falcons to win a Super Bowl is so that we get more coverage from guys like this. Oh well. Maybe this year.

Edited by ATLskinjob

26 minutes ago, vel said:

It's almost like people think we played the Dolphins the first two games. Two of the best run defenses in the league for years and suddenly Free is done and we won't have a running game. 

Right. All while not realizing we held Philly’s rb’s to 48 yards total. 

papachaz, Ergo Proxy and vel like this

Chris Simms talks a lot of **** for somebody who was never very good. 

Pretty decent breakdown of most of the game... disagree that the o line is terrible or that Free is done. Too early for that kind of talk. 

I was surprised with the language in that video though. That kind of stuff is too accessible to kids under the banner of sports to be talking that way. 

Ergo Proxy likes this

56 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

I said to @Vandy before the first game - Freeman has to play like 2016 SuperBowl Run Freeman to get his 2020 salary and not be cut.  He disagreed.

I am not ready to throw dirt on Free just yet - but something is missing and if he doesn’t find it soon this will be his last season as a Falcon - we already know the Falcons need to shed salary and AB ain’t running a charity in Flowery Branch.

Look man, it’s not some sort of speculative thing or some sort of favoritism thing or anything like that.

Am I right?  Guy signed a huge deal & has done nothing for two years now.  It’s the beginning of year 3 now & he’s looking heavy legged & much less shifty.  His straight line seems ok, but that’s never been his game. He’s not gong to win too many straight line races.  

I’m simply trying to determine if he just needs more time to build up that game strength or if it’s time to move on.

This isn’t a game.  We cannot afford to continue to hand the ball off to a guy who doesn’t necessarily have it anymore.

Right now Ito Smith looks way shiftier and explosive than Freeman.  It’s pretty obvious.  We NEED both guys to be explosive though!

Boise Falcon Fan and Geneaut like this

No one said we're giving up on Free...simply stated that he doesnt look good...I dont know how yall dont see the difference so far between Ito and Free..

Ive certainly heard other pundits say Ito deserves more playing time...

We said 2 more games...after week 4 if he looks the same....yall keep beating that drum...you know it's possible to love your team and still offer harsh critique

Not everyone has rose colored glasses..

And Jones from GB put up 116 yrds and a touchdown on that same Vikings Def..

Bottom line is...nobody knows...only time will tell...but acting like we dont know what we talking about cause we disagree.....

Go head on with that...

g-dawg and Geneaut like this

48 minutes ago, PokerSteve said:

With the quality of the run defense of the Vikes and Eagles, I can't just give up on Free. The straight-line speed is still there, you just aren't seeing the quick burst to the hole or those patented side-steps jukes yet.

For what it's worth, Quinn was saying in preseason he looked as ready as ever. I want to see him in at least three or four more games before pronouncing him done.

Quick burst to the hole is all about vision. His vision is elite. You don’t just lose “vision”. You get rust on it. He’s rusty with the new line. 

Could he be done? Sure. But I’m gonna wait at least 4 more games to say that 

Ergo Proxy, gazoo and rounz like this

23 minutes ago, Ergo Proxy said:

I gotta tell you, Carpenter is looking really good the more I watch him. Watch his mobility to second level on that shovel pass. He’s truckin Bro, he looks good at 320lbs. 

Ergo Proxy and papachaz like this

2 hours ago, TheFatboi said:

Meh. They loaded the box on him. They didn’t want us to get the run game going to be able to use play action. He literally ran passed the eagles defense on a dump off down to the 10. His issue right now to me is he doesn’t have his shiftiness right yet. 

same on that shovel pass (great call by the way) he showed a 2nd gear by splitting defenders, his problem now is he stops moving his feet during cuts like he dont trust his body

Ergo Proxy likes this

People gotta remember this isn’t the same exclusively outside zone running scheme Free always played behind.

We’ve converted to inside zones more and even some power man and sometimes pulling OL. Mularkey flavored run game is new for Freeman.

All of these require reading the blocks differently because it IS different the timing vs trying to stretch and look for a hole vs a cutback option in outside zone.

On top of that, we have 3 new OL. Plus, one of them is a rookie and we had 2 in week 1 before Lindstrom got hurt.

I heard one radio guy Randy McMichael; former TE?, saying McGary has all the physical tools but has to improve his awareness to come off the initial assignment block and move to the 2nd level for a LB so it will spring the RB instead. Part of that learning curve is getting to know Brown and if they combo block to know when to disengage to the next level.

Give Free more than a couple games vs very stout Defenses. OL needs time. We all said this and yet we don’t think that affects the run game?

He might not live out his contract here but a healthy year from Free likely means good production by the end of the season and someone you want contributing. It’s an unknown with Ito taking majority of carries. IF he has to at some point, so be it or we go RBBC but nah it’s just a hot take from Simms.

Edited by Ergo Proxy
Geneaut, EpicBird, gazoo and 1 other like this

1 hour ago, ATLskinjob said:

Yeah I didn't find that to be exactly unbiased. Really pretty much just talked about what the Eagles did wrong and gave very little credit to what the Falcons were able to do. He barely even mentioned how our D line abused them and that that's the reason Wentz looked bad.

And calling Freeman done after two games against very tough defenses where we didn't run the ball at all? Bit of a hot take if you ask me. 

I get it though. Eagles are a bigger market team so you're going to bias a video like this towards the larger market. One reason I want the Falcons to win a Super Bowl is so that we get more coverage from guys like this. Oh well. Maybe this year.

Simms isn’t biased “against” the Falcons.   You know his younger brother has played on Falcons practice squad for a few years, right?

Geneaut likes this

3 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

Simms isn’t biased “against” the Falcons.   You know his younger brother has played on Falcons practice squad for a few years, right?

I noticed he says nice things about the Falcons when his brother is on the team but is more negative after he's cut.

papachaz likes this

5 minutes ago, MilleniumFalcon said:

I noticed he says nice things about the Falcons when his brother is on the team but is more negative after he's cut.

really simms was quite nice to us, and gave props to our d line and didnt let wentz off the hook just bc of one good pass

Geneaut and EpicBird like this

13 minutes ago, MilleniumFalcon said:

Oh brother.  :ninja:

9 hours ago, OrthoPTSD said:

Run the tread off of Freeman? Ito 1 Olli 2? Hill on burner or is he number 2? Pass protection would improve from either BTW

Its inevitable  for one of these scenarios, Free is almost a minor sprained ankle from.. well  not at all effective.

True. 

When can we release Freeman without taking a big hit?

I said from the beginning. Never pay your running backs... Just keep on drafting one in the middle/late rounds every year.

31 minutes ago, FalconOdense said:

When can we release Freeman without taking a big hit?

I said from the beginning. Never pay your running backs... Just keep on drafting one in the middle/late rounds every year.

Next year.  Save like $3mm against the cap if Falcons cut Free in 2020.

10 hours ago, Ergo Proxy said:

People gotta remember this isn’t the same exclusively outside zone running scheme Free always played behind.

We’ve converted to inside zones more and even some power man and sometimes pulling OL. Mularkey flavored run game is new for Freeman.

All of these require reading the blocks differently because it IS different the timing vs trying to stretch and look for a hole vs a cutback option in outside zone.

I believe this is sooooooooooooooooo far over many fans heads they don’t have any idea what that has to do with Freeman the first two games of season not looking the same. 

Some don’t understand timing, the need for all players to be on same page, how that impacts the players individually if the other 10 aren’t on same page and how that doesn’t just magically happen if there are several new players and a new coordinator. It takes a lot of snaps together as a unit to get humming on all cylinders.

I wasn’t freaking out at all after the Vikings debacle and tried to explain what happened, few seemed to understand and went into full fledged panic mode. 

So far the season is going pretty much as a suspected after end of preseason. 1-1 record, offense is behind defense, but both showing rapid improvement in most areas. By mid season, look out division and NFL!

Dirk hardly rotates 2 RBs..

Remember people here wanted Dirk and Coach Smith to sit Steven Jackson for (more of) Freeman and other backs then...2014.