Tim Mazetti

Falcons - Eagles reflections and takeaways from The Falcoholic staff

22 posts in this topic

What did we learn and what do we expect now?

By Dave Choate  Sep 17, 2019, 3:00pm EDT

Do the Falcons have something here?

The biggest risk a week ago was that we might overreact. The biggest risk this week is...that we might overreact.

The Falcons played a good game last night, and likely would’ve won handily if not for Matt Ryan’s interception train. The defense looked much improved, the offense is sort of rounding into shape despite many hiccups, and critically the offensive line held up well against a tough challenge. But are we any closer to figuring out if this football team is a contender, especially a week after many were ready to give them up for dead? If we are, it’s only a little bit, and thus I retain my cautious optimism (especially in a decimated NFC South) and hope we’ll see more signs of greatness lurking next Sunday against the Colts. —Dave Choate

An ugly confidence boost

The stark contrast from the Vikings to the Eagles game is enough to send a Falcons fan into shock. This team is so much fun to watch when they are rolling, even in an ugly game like this. The win is a huge confidence booster. The Eagles have been consistently competitive and were the favorites to win. All three phases of the game (minus punting) made huge plays against the talented Eagles. Games have typically been won or lost solely on Matt Ryan’s arm, but we saw so many players make impact plays all game long. I’m still in shock. — Matt Chambers

Dominance in the trenches

Facing an Eagles offensive line that is one of the best in the league, the Falcons dominated in the trenches in a way I never could have expected. In fact, if it weren’t for Carson Wentz being so ****ed good at escaping pressure, this unit may have had 6 or 7 sacks on the night. Matt Ryan had another great/awful outing, but this time the defense was able to hold onto the lead until the final seconds ticked off the clock. There were still plenty of errors to go around and our special teams needs a swift kick in the pants, but this is the kind of performance you can build off of. These first two games were always going to be difficult, so going 1-1 feels like a good start to this season. Clean up the mistakes and this could be a really good team. - David Walker

Yes, they were fast and physical

“Fast and Physical” was one of the main sloganeering planks that accompanied Dan Quinn’s arrival in 2015. The “fast” part of that equation has been a focal point of this team since Quinn came on board, but physicality has seemingly eluded the Atlanta Falcons. Last night they checked that box, too, and it was a massively encouraging sign from a team that looked lifeless in Week 1. The prodigious shot that Ricardo Allen laid on Nelson Agholor is just one shining example of a team that went on the field Sunday evening ready to punish. If they can get the ground game sorted out, this Falcons team could be special. - Carter Breazeale

The start of something?

For a second there, it really seemed like this game was going to go like all the other games when the Falcons blow a lead to a team they should’ve beaten already. But then, somehow, it didn’t! I think that’s mental toughness and growth that absolutely goes to credit Dan Quinn and his maturing as a head coach. His team got the job done, though repeated attempts of failure were possible. It’s also quite fair to suggest the team got lucky with that Nelson Agholor whiff, and that we could very easily be staring at 0-2 and a tougher road ahead.

I think this a good football team who could be great if certain wrinkles are ironed out. I also think this team has to learn to put away games much earlier when they have the chance. Hoping for the big, dramatic play at the end can’t become commonplace, or this team will never reach its total potential. Still, it felt really good to beat a good team like the Eagles. You really hope this is the start of something. - Cory Woodroof

PokerSteve, rounz and Emmitt like this

I AM that overreacting fan, I'll own that. Thought we were going to be lucky to win 4 games after Week 1, think we're going to the Super Bowl now. :lol:

In reality, you can't really know what you have in Week 2. In our actual Super Bowl year, we didn't TRULY hit our stride until December, after the pick-2 Kansas City debacle. From that point on, right up until the quarter that shall not be named, we were d*** near unstoppable.

For now, I just want to see our team keep building on what made us tick on Sunday night, and then hope that something special develops like 2016.

5 minutes ago, BCEagleATLFalcon said:

For now, I just want to see our team keep building on what made us tick on Sunday night, and then hope that something special develops like 2016.

Good post.

It's a long season. And our team has talent and the coaches to excell in this tough league.

18 minutes ago, MissouriFalcon49 said:

If Ryan can quit tossing INTs the team be ok. He is feeling unnecessary pressure.

Wrong choice of word there, but true. Looking back at that throw to Hardy downfield, he had a pocket to step into but let it go early like he had pressure in his face. Ryan just needs to settle down, go through his reads, and take what the defense gives him. He does that, he'll be putting up numbers like it was 2016 or 2018 again.

This was a great game, and yes, a great game despite a bad day for Ryan. But you have to also remember that Eagles lost major contributor after major contributor throughout the match. And despite that were one terrible drop from winning it. So yeah, there is danger of overreacting. 

For our defense, this game vs the Eagles marked a demarcation from the usual soft and weak performance to a unit as hard as nails and relentless from the opening kick-off to the final gun.

Where the Eagles offense was expecting no problems running or passing, they found both to be a daunting challenge all night long. Longtime Falcon fans are heartened by the physicality that overwhelmed a good Eagles team and left them battered, bruised, and a couple even in tears as they left the field (Wentz and Ertz).

They started slow with that first game debacle, but this game vs a tough Eagles team should validate our hopes that 2019 could indeed be an extraordinary season in the ATL. Looking forward to this team dishing out more pain and suffering next week on both sides of the LOS.

2 minutes ago, PokerSteve said:

They started slow with that first game debacle, but this game vs a tough Eagles team should validate our hopes that 2019 could indeed be an extraordinary season in the ATL. Looking forward to this team dishing out more pain and suffering next week on both sides of the LOS.

This was such an enjoyable game to watch. That violent DL.....er.......front seven was a pleasure to watch. They took no plays off.

papachaz and PokerSteve like this

12 minutes ago, dmo_dlo said:

This was a great game, and yes, a great game despite a bad day for Ryan. But you have to also remember that Eagles lost major contributor after major contributor throughout the match. And despite that were one terrible drop from winning it. So yeah, there is danger of overreacting. 

I agree with you. But at least for the drop, I do wonder if how aggressively our guys were playing had a little something to do with it. I’d be surprised if Eagles receivers weren’t at least subconsciously waiting to get popped after every catch. 

3 minutes ago, BCEagleATLFalcon said:

I agree with you. But at least for the drop, I do wonder if how aggressively our guys were playing had a little something to do with it. I’d be surprised if Eagles receivers weren’t at least subconsciously waiting to get popped after every catch. 

There you go again. Good post.

The game winner was in Eagle whatshisname's hands and I noticed that he really, really was worried of getting crippled on that play. He didn't have the confidence to look the ball in.

21 minutes ago, PokerSteve said:

For our defense, this game vs the Eagles marked a demarcation from the usual soft and weak performance to a unit as hard as nails and relentless from the opening kick-off to the final gun.

Where the Eagles offense was expecting no problems running or passing, they found both to be a daunting challenge all night long. Longtime Falcon fans are heartened by the physicality that overwhelmed a good Eagles team and left them battered, bruised, and a couple even in tears as they left the field (Wentz and Ertz).

Well put PS. Plus one. 

I’m happy to go 1-1 vs those two teams. 

1 hour ago, No.11 said:

Wrong choice of word there, but true. Looking back at that throw to Hardy downfield, he had a pocket to step into but let it go early like he had pressure in his face. Ryan just needs to settle down, go through his reads, and take what the defense gives him. He does that, he'll be putting up numbers like it was 2016 or 2018 again.

What I meant is the defense was playing well no need to press. Guy has 5 ints this year and last year just 7.

1 hour ago, BCEagleATLFalcon said:

I 100% get that impression from watching the replay. Keanu was late on the play but Aghelor didn't know that... probably had that hit by Rico echoing in the back of his mind as he heard those footsteps. 

At one point, I was really down about the Agholor drop that would've been a touchdown because "We only won due to luck." But then I remembered -- we left plenty of points on the table too. Calvin Ridley in double coverage was _this_ close to being a TD. And that's only one example.

Heck of a win, especially when we threw 3 interceptions. We just need to get some things cleaned up, and we can be dominant.

6 hours ago, DriveHomeSafelyAtlantaWins said:

At one point, I was really down about the Agholor drop that would've been a touchdown because "We only won due to luck." But then I remembered -- we left plenty of points on the table too. Calvin Ridley in double coverage was _this_ close to being a TD. And that's only one example.

Heck of a win, especially when we threw 3 interceptions. We just need to get some things cleaned up, and we can be dominant.

That was an amazing throw by Matt. I was initially against him making that throw into double coverage going deep but was frozen in awe how well placed the ball was for Calvin to be able to get his hands on it. That catch would have been a 9 out of 10 on difficulty scale if Calvin would have reeled it in. 

While I like Matt going deep, even I thought that was too risky. I liked that he tried to stay aggressive. Hope he comes to terms with when he should go deep during film review this week. Please make those throws if our receivers are in single coverage Matt!

18 hours ago, BCEagleATLFalcon said:

it was almost as if he was more intent on locating Rico than the ball......

:D

PokerSteve likes this

18 hours ago, Tim Mazetti said:

This was such an enjoyable game to watch. That violent DL.....er.......front seven was a pleasure to watch. They took no plays off.

Like Christmas in September. lol. The last time I enjoyed a game this much was when we trashed Godgers and the Packers in 2016 and Mike McCarthy told the press his team had run into a buzzsaw.   :D

4 hours ago, PokerSteve said:

Like Christmas in September. lol. The last time I enjoyed a game this much was when we trashed Godgers and the Packers in 2016 and Mike McCarthy told the press his team had run into a buzzsaw.   :D

That full replay is bookmarked Steve. I watch it during the last off-seasons. Do want me to post it here?

23 hours ago, Tim Mazetti said:

There you go again. Good post.

The game winner was in Eagle whatshisname's hands and I noticed that he really, really was worried of getting crippled on that play. He didn't have the confidence to look the ball in.

And nobody mentions that Philly got lucky on the 4th and 14 play where Wentz just chucked it up.  You win some, you lose some...

Tim Mazetti likes this

2 hours ago, Boise Falcon Fan said:

And nobody mentions that Philly got lucky on the 4th and 14 play where Wentz just chucked it up.  You win some, you lose some...

He was sacked.....but made the throw. Vic is back with DQ running things. The edge pressure is here.

A game for the ages.

I am fresh from re-watching it.