MagnusXXIII

Call Stands - No Foul

117 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, E. T. said:

I wonder if this rule would be an issue right now had the Saints still won that game even with that blown call. I think not.

Of course not because they wouldn't have pressed it to be an issue.  It's gotten the legs it has because they lost.

NeonDeion and E. T. like this

Just now, JD dirtybird21 said:

Definitely not. And the argument I always throw at Saints fans is the call didn't actually "cost" them the game. Getting that call doesn't guarantee them victory. No matter what they say. 

Yup.  Could have missed a fg, fumbled the ball on the ensuing runs to burn out the clock, Drew didn't have to throw that pick, Thomas didn't have to completely lose sight of where the ball was...the missed call was just the bunny fart that started the avalanche.

2 hours ago, DoYouSeeWhatHappensLarry said:

Honestly, I dont think that was PI. Certainly not enough to overturn the call on the field. 

From the picture above, looks like great defense. Maybe as the play unfolds there was PI, but have not gone back to review.

8 minutes ago, Ergo Proxy said:

I guess what I mean is, instead of bringing someone in to look at a play that is not watching the game beforehand...why not have a ref in tune with the pulse of the game and seeing how things are being called especially for any late situations of “ok that was like this other foul earlier that was or was not called”

This passive “we are fixing the problem” just creates more problems.

What you said makes sense, you have to call a game consistently and you can’t do that by pulling up one single play in a vacuum.

My thing is, that was a clear call in any game.

Schwarzwald and Flyin' In DC like this

3 minutes ago, Ezekiel 25:17 said:

What you said makes sense, you have to call a game consistently and you can’t do that by pulling up one single play in a vacuum.

My thing is, that was a clear call in any game.

Especially since they reviewed it :ninja:

What about the officials not flagging that Wentz “pass” to avoid being sacked by Takk into his OL? Thats illegal contact. Dirt near the RB? Fine. But the OL is ineligible and he throws the ball into his leg. Easy call, right?

:shrug:

3 minutes ago, Ergo Proxy said:

What about the officials not flagging that Wentz “pass” to avoid being sacked by Takk into his OL? Thats illegal contact. Dirt near the RB? Fine. But the OL is ineligible and he throws the ball into his leg. Easy call, right?

The way it should work is the guys in The Corporate office should go by the rules of the book instead of trying to determine whether this call fits in this or that game. 

That is the only way it will be uniformed.

Iron Saint likes this

16 minutes ago, athell said:

Of course not because they wouldn't have pressed it to be an issue.  It's gotten the legs it has because they lost.

Exactly!!!!

athell likes this

1 minute ago, E. T. said:

Exactly!!!!

I hear you man, but there is a reason the phrase "squeaky wheel gets the grease" exists.  Payton and the Saint fans have shown just how petty and immature they are, but I still go back to if that happened to the Falcons this fanbase would be absolutely livid...and rightfully so.  The lawsuits and stuff, not so much lol...

E. T. likes this

Do any of you think they will modify the rule so New York could overrule blatant calls? The "so-called" NFC Championship one which I think was borderline(just my opinion)

Versus getting rid of a review or coachs challenge?

19 minutes ago, Ergo Proxy said:

Thats what I thought. Isn't that illegal touching or some nonsense? 

Schwarzwald likes this

8 minutes ago, Flyin' In DC said:

Do any of you think they will modify the rule so New York could overrule blatant calls? The "so-called" NFC Championship one which I think was borderline(just my opinion)

If you think that was borderline, you really need to take off your Saint-Hate Goggles.  There was nothing borderline about that no call man lmao

Flyin' In DC and Iron Saint like this

2 minutes ago, athell said:

If you think that was borderline, you really need to take off your Saint-Hate Goggles.  There was nothing borderline about that no call man lmao

Maybe I should have added the :ninja: dude. with that remark. :huh:

athell likes this

23 hours ago, athell said:

Essentially challenging a DPI is worthless.  They seem like they are going to go with the call on the field 9 times out of 10 so save the challenge and time out and live to challenge another down.

Secret handshakes in dark places, man.

athell likes this

It was definitely pass interference on Jones. But being said that, if the call doesn't go your way --- you have to go on to the next play. 

Where is the reverse angle screen shot?  You can't see it very well from the one posted by the OP, but the DBs hand is grabbing and yanking on Julio's collar from behind.   I remember a replay from a camera on the other side of the field showed pretty clearly that the DB had a hold of him and was pulling before the ball arrived.  

NeonDeion and Schwarzwald like this

I don't think that pic provided a good representation of what happened.  I attached a pic from when he started pulling on Julio's shoulder.  It impeded the route.  I can't find the back viewpoint they showed on tv, but from that angle you can see Julio's body get turned.  Step through the video and you'll see how early he was and that he never touched the ball.  If he didn't pull Julio before the ball was there, Julio would've got 2 hands on it.

https://streamable.com/t6h8d

First contact.jpg

NeonDeion likes this

7 hours ago, shc said:

I disagree.  And would go on to say that WE get called for DPI on this same type of play ALL THE TIME.

I agree we do get called for DPI all the time and NOW Quinn FINALLY can do something about it.

It's a FAIR rule but application of it during entire game is just lame! 

Refs aren't going to overturn a play just for contact. The defender is going to have to be grabbing and pulling for the booth review to overturn a call.

2 hours ago, kirbyr said:

Refs aren't going to overturn a play just for contact. The defender is going to have to be grabbing and pulling for the booth review to overturn a call.

Doubtful, as pulling is what happened on that play and they didn't call it.

Also was curious about Matty Ice's interception in the endzone.  Defender tries to run it out and gets tackled in the endzone.  I thought to be a touchback, you have to give yourself up?

I am fine with this not getting overturned if it means this idiotic knee jerk reaction to a buncho whiny Saint fans' idiotic knee jerk reaction and incessant crying dies the death it so richly deserves...

On 9/17/2019 at 2:52 PM, FalconAge said:

The refs have enough goodwill around here for their work vs.the Saints that they can have this one.

We’ll have to see how much goodwill y’all still have for the Führer when another one of these happens November 10th and doesn’t get overturned on Quinn’s challenge...

marsh.0.gif

:D

On 9/17/2019 at 3:06 PM, BCEagleATLFalcon said:

This new challenge wouldn't exist if the officials actually called the game as the rulebook defines it.

There you go. Fixed that for you, pimp. ;)

On 9/17/2019 at 3:11 PM, vel said:

I hate reviewing DPI because that's not what the rule is for. It's for the blatant, game altering ones like the Saints-Rams game. That was clear and obviously wrong. But at the end of the day, it's a judgement call. They can't afford to overturn these calls because it challenges the integrity of their ability. 

I agree with this.

On 9/17/2019 at 3:21 PM, JD dirtybird21 said:

Take the Saints game for instance, the officials blew the whistle, play was blown dead. By rule, you can't reverse that. Saints fans can call it getting screwed. I call it making a mistake. 

That wasn’t a mistake. If it was a mistake, they would’ve blown the whistle the second the ball hit the ground or before Jordan picked it up at the 12 yard line. Not when he’s at the 40 yard line returning it and there’s not a Ram in the frame. 

There wasn’t a single whistle blown until it was clear that it was going to be returned for a TD.

On 9/17/2019 at 3:27 PM, JD dirtybird21 said:

Right, but Saints fans are now 100% convinced that the officials are cheating them. If the officials make one mistake, the media is all over it and the saints fans are screaming. 

Well that makes 3 games in a row we’ve had points taken off the board due to gross negligence and incompetence of the officiating. Points taken off the board and were key moments that either resulted in a massive swing of momentum or prevented momentum.

On 9/17/2019 at 3:38 PM, HASHBROWN3 said:

I guess they’re due for another hurricane :ninja:

Wow. Nice to know how vile and ****ty of a person you are.

On 9/18/2019 at 11:07 AM, JD dirtybird21 said:

I mean I get it...that was one of the worst no-calls in the history of the game. Are the Saints fans being irrational? Sure. But honestly, ANY fan base would be reacting that way had this happened to them. 

EXACTLY. We see the other fanbases having their laughs and saying we’re whining but we all know every other 31 fanbases would be doing exactly the same. Just not many will admit it. 

On 9/18/2019 at 11:25 AM, shc said:

I disagree.  And would go on to say that WE get called for DPI on this same type of play ALL THE TIME.

Welcome to the club. Apple and P.J. Williams get the piss flagged out of them for this and less.

On 9/18/2019 at 11:52 AM, athell said:

I think there are a few things working here behind the scenes...

1)  The league didn't want this rule, but the no call against the Saints forced it.

2)  If you start reversing calls that are slightly more than ticky tack, it's going to open up pandora's box which leads to...

3)  Pace of play.  The games are already feeling plodding and slow without the ability to challenge extra plays, especially if coaches know they have a great chance of winning them.

4)  I don't think anyone wants ticky tack calls, or even slightly more than ticky tack calls, to start being overturned and charged as DPI's.  That is a slippery slope and it's great when it works out in your favor, but there are plenty of times you see DBs with their hands on WRs, including our own, that would/could end up resulting in DPI.

I honestly think this is the rule was put in place to appease the Saints, who had a legitimate gripe, but was never going to be enforced the way fans thought it would and is really only there for blatantly obvious game changing no calls.

I agree with nearly all of this. Great post.

On 9/18/2019 at 0:21 PM, athell said:

Yeah.  Though they kinda had to, right?  Saints aside, that was a horrific no call that could have ultimately kept them from the Superbowl.  I would think any franchise would be livid and rightfully so.  I dunno about civil lawsuits and ref jersey's...but still.  The NFL knew it had to do SOMETHING in this circumstance.

Yeah, that’s where I watched my brethren go forward without me. Both were really just dumb, especially the ref shirts. They honestly just look like jack***es. 

However, I do own one of those Goodell clown shirts and wear it rather extensively. B)

On 9/18/2019 at 0:36 PM, Ezekiel 25:17 said:

If they didn’t want ticky Tac calls, they should have held their ground and not came up with this dumb rule to placate the Taints whinny fan base(minus @Iron Saint lol)!

:troll: :dealwithit: :lol:

@Iron Saint,

“That wasn’t a mistake. If it was a mistake, they would’ve blown the whistle the second the ball hit the ground or before Jordan picked it up at the 12 yard line. Not when he’s at the 40 yard line returning it and there’s not a Ram in the frame. 

There wasn’t a single whistle blown until it was clear that it was going to be returned for a TD”

Its still a mistake man. Just a bad one. You can’t possibly believe that the officials are conspiring against the Saints....come on bro

Iron Saint likes this