117 posts in this topic

Just now, Atlantafan21 said:

Even Dungy and Rodney Harrison talked about how the refs messed up this call. Idk how they didn’t overturn it. 

Essentially challenging a DPI is worthless.  They seem like they are going to go with the call on the field 9 times out of 10 so save the challenge and time out and live to challenge another down.

1 minute ago, athell said:

Essentially challenging a DPI is worthless.  They seem like they are going to go with the call on the field 9 times out of 10 so save the challenge and time out and live to challenge another down.

But in reality they have made reversals on far less obvious plays. Dungy and Harrison went threw each one challenged under new rule.

3 minutes ago, MagnusXXIII said:

But in reality they have made reversals on far less obvious plays. Dungy and Harrison went threw each one challenged under new rule.

Out of curiosity, did they mention how many have been challenged vs how many were overturned?  Because in the games I have seen, they seem to always go with the ruling on the field.

e:

From preseason, but fits what I have been seeing at least.  /shrug

Altogether, there were 50 challenge flags thrown challenging pass interference in the preseason, with 25 of the league's 32 head coaches utilizing the new opportunity at least once. More than 75% of the challenges involved defensive pass interference. Only five calls were overturned.

6 minutes ago, athell said:

Out of curiosity, did they mention how many have been challenged vs how many were overturned?  Because in the games I have seen, they seem to always go with the ruling on the field.

e:

Altogether, there were 50 challenge flags thrown challenging pass interference in the preseason, with 25 of the league's 32 head coaches utilizing the new opportunity at least once. More than 75% of the challenges involved defensive pass interference. Only five calls were overturned.

6 minutes ago, athell said:

e:

If you recorded the game they went through the video of each one. There really was no rhyme or reason. They reversed some really ticky tack calls and no-calls. It was shown at halftime.

This new challenge is ridiculous and slows down the game. Yes, these calls are missed all the time (or the calls made when it was incidental/ticky-tack at most). But the refs don't seem inclined to change the call on the field, and it just slows down the flow of things. Let 'em play.

(Yet another reason to hate the Saints. This new challenge wouldn't exist without their whining.)

2 minutes ago, BCEagleATLFalcon said:

This new challenge is ridiculous and slows down the game. Yes, these calls are missed all the time (or the calls made when it was incidental/ticky-tack at most). But the refs don't seem inclined to change the call on the field, and it just slows down the flow of things. Let 'em play.

(Yet another reason to hate the Saints. This new challenge wouldn't exist without their whining.)

I don't think this rule is going to last. 

falken, JDaveG, vel and 1 other like this

I hate reviewing DPI because that's not what the rule is for. It's for the blatant, game altering ones like the Saints-Rams game. That was clear and obviously wrong. But at the end of the day, it's a judgement call. They can't afford to overturn these calls because it challenges the integrity of their ability. 

5 minutes ago, MagnusXXIII said:

If you recorded the game they went through the video of each one. There really was no rhyme or reason. They reversed some really ticky tack calls and no-calls. It was shown at halftime.

See below...

2 minutes ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

Bad calls happen. It is what it is. 

Refs are gonna ref.  They have for years.  I agree the challenge should have been clear DPI and we should have won that challenge but /shrug

JD dirtybird21 likes this

8 minutes ago, athell said:

See below...

Refs are gonna ref.  They have for years.  I agree the challenge should have been clear DPI and we should have won that challenge but /shrug

Yea, and fans also forget that the officials are still people. People make mistakes. I don't think they realize just how hard it is to make the correct call in real time. Take the Saints game for instance, the officials blew the whistle, play was blown dead. By rule, you can't reverse that. Saints fans can call it getting screwed. I call it making a mistake. 

Drew4719 and athell like this

3 minutes ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

Yea, and fans also forget that the officials are still people. People make mistakes. I don't think they realize just how hard it is to make the correct call in real time. Take the Saints game for instance, the officials blew the whistle, play was blown dead. By rule, you can't reverse that. Saints fans can call it getting screwed. I call it making a mistake. 

Oh that Saints call had me rolling and then with them and their fans acting like it never happens to anyone else.  Plays get blown dead every week in the nfl that shouldn't, I saw one in the Bears/Broncos game where Fuller had a pick and was running down the sidelines and they called it dead.  Or Myles Jack 2 years ago when Jax should have beaten NE in the AFCCG...play was blown dead on a recovery and he was never down.

Refs make mistakes.  At the end of the day you just gotta hope they call a fair game on both sides.

Drew4719 likes this

Just now, athell said:

Oh that Saints call had me rolling and then with them and their fans acting like it never happens to anyone else.  Plays get blown dead every week in the nfl that shouldn't, I saw one in the Bears/Broncos game where Fuller had a pick and was running down the sidelines and they called it dead.  Or Myles Jack 2 years ago when Jax should have beaten NE in the AFCCG...play was blown dead on a recovery and he was never down.

Refs make mistakes.  At the end of the day you just gotta hope they call a fair game on both sides.

Right, but Saints fans are now 100% convinced that the officials are cheating them. If the officials make one mistake, the media is all over it and the saints fans are screaming. 

8 minutes ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

Getting screwed would be that "fumble" we had against buffalo 2 years ago.

Drew4719 likes this

The dirtbag Saints have gotten so many freaking calls over the years that it needs to go in the opposite direction for at least 7 years just to make up for the glaring discrepancies.

I guess they’re due for another hurricane :ninja:

rounz and VTCrunkler like this

It's only going to be come important during important games and in the playoffs. And only then they will probably side with the home team.

I’ve long said that one or two of the refs should have an earpiece where a ref watching tv screens can give them feedback when they missed a big call. The flag might be thrown late but better than missing the call or going through a lengthy and inconsistent replay Keep it under the radar and it avoids your really bad mistakes while saving time.

19 hours ago, OilFuturesTrader19 said:

So, if this play didn't get reversed,  what good is the new rule????

The new rule isnt supposed to turn ever 50/50 call into an opportunity to change the direction of the game. 

They've been conservative with reversing the call on the field and for good reason. I dont think this call was close to what it needed to be in order to get overturned. Now....cases like the play against the Saints where Julio was tackled before the ball got there or that play late against Seattle in 2016, those would be different stories, imo. 

2 minutes ago, Jpg428gggg said:

I’ve long said that one or two of the refs should have an earpiece where a ref watching tv screens can give them feedback when they missed a big call. The flag might be thrown late but better than missing the call or going through a lengthy and inconsistent replay Keep it under the radar and it avoids your really bad mistakes while saving time.

Yep. This is similar to what I've talked about. Have ~3 officials watching the game on monitors. Let the guys on the ground call the game as they see fit. The 3 officials watching the game can signal down when 2/3 disagree with a call at first glance. If all three officials agree the call was wrong after replay, it gets overturned.