Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Run 'n' Shoot

An astute scouting report

67 posts in this topic

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2019/9/17/20869991/2019-opponent-scouting-report-falcons-offense-has-potential-to-be-dangerous#comments

I just read this scouting report on an Indianapolis Colts site. It's one of the most fair and accurate assesments I have seen of our team. It does not say anything we don't know but think it's worth it to see how we are seen by others.

I like how he avoids some of the typical narratives around the team, focus on facts and keeps things in perspective. The most fun fact being how Ryan is on pace for 40 touchdowns and 40 interceptions but keeping things in context. 

Haven't seen the Colts scouting on the ATL site yet but I hope it is as informative.

Thanks for the link, it's a really good read.  Though most of his review is surrounding the terrible week 1 effort, it is solid and fair review.

Key points for me :

Their secondary can't hang with our wr's

Our oline should be able to contain their dline (who he says is not generating any pressure)

If Matt can eliminate the dumb mistakes, we should have several long and explosive plays

5 minutes ago, athell said:

Thanks for the link, it's a really good read.  Though most of his review is surrounding the terrible week 1 effort, it is solid and fair review.

Key points for me :

Our oline should be able to contain their dline (who he says is not generating any pressure)

If Matt can eliminate the dumb mistakes, we should have several long and explosive plays

Yea I saw the same, which is why I didn't post it. That Vikings game ain't happening again. Especially not against the Colts. 

He even acknowledged at the end that this is an uphill battle for the Colts. 

31 minutes ago, athell said:

Key points for me :

They have 8 sacks in 2 games. Their D-Line pressures the heck out of opposing QBs. Their O-Line is pretty good. We're also on the road. I've got my concerns about this matchup. 

I think we have a good chance to win if we protect Matt, if Matt protects the ball and the defense plays well. 

ratesforless likes this

1 minute ago, MD-FalconFan13 said:

They have 8 sacks in 2 games. Their D-Line pressures the heck out of opposing QBs. Their O-Line is pretty good. We're also on the road. I've got my concerns about this matchup. 

I think we have a good chance to win if we protect Matt, if Matt protects the ball and the defense plays well. 

I should have worded it better.  The author indicates it as inconsistent yet productive.  He has clearly watched more Colts film than I, so if he is saying their pass rush is inconsistent then I am going to take his word for it.

This matchup is troubling for our Colts. So far the defensive pass rush has been inconsistent, though ultimately productive and failing to force a turnover from Marcus Mariota never makes fans feel great.

Their oline is very good and I don't think anyone is underestimating them, if they are they are foolish.  It's still a talented roster.  On the difficulty scale though, if the Eagles are a 9 the Colts are probably a 7.  Still good, still can beat us, but I liked what I saw out of this team against Philly and think it translates to Indy.

If we can't beat a Colts squad starting a QB who got zero first-team reps this offseason, we might as well call the season and take a nice weekly Sunday afternoon drive until New Year's.

Edited by FalconAge
vel, ShadyRef and The Daywalker like this

14 minutes ago, MD-FalconFan13 said:

So basically treat it like any other game...

2 minutes ago, FalconAge said:

If we can't beat a Colts squad starting a QB who got zero first-team reps this offseason, we might as well call the season and take a nice weekly Sunday afternoon drive until New Year's.

He got all of the reps. Luck was hurt 

13 minutes ago, athell said:

I should have worded it better.  The author indicates it as inconsistent yet productive.  He has clearly watched more Colts film than I, so if he is saying their pass rush is inconsistent then I am going to take his word for it.

This matchup is troubling for our Colts. So far the defensive pass rush has been inconsistent, though ultimately productive and failing to force a turnover from Marcus Mariota never makes fans feel great.

Their oline is very good and I don't think anyone is underestimating them, if they are they are foolish.  It's still a talented roster.  On the difficulty scale though, if the Eagles are a 9 the Colts are probably a 7.  Still good, still can beat us, but I liked what I saw out of this team against Philly and think it translates to Indy.

The reason I'm confident is because they looked very mediocre vs TEN. A bad TEN team. Again, it's early and you can say the same about how the Falcons looked vs MIN, but when you look at just how bad, the Falcons bad was self inflicted. The Colts could barely move the ball against several soft coverages vs TN. I'm not optimistic about the Colts offense putting up points. No Funchess hurts. This is a very fast defense that can shut down the run. 

athell and PokerSteve like this

1 minute ago, NWFALCON said:

He got all of the reps. Luck was hurt 

I thought Luck got hurt later. My bad.

...but still lmao

1 minute ago, vel said:

The reason I'm confident is because they looked very mediocre vs TEN. A bad TEN team. Again, it's early and you can say the same about how the Falcons looked vs MIN, but when you look at just how bad, the Falcons bad was self inflicted. The Colts could barely move the ball against several soft coverages vs TN. I'm not optimistic about the Colts offense putting up points. No Funchess hurts. This is a very fast defense that can shut down the run. 

It's always hard to evaluate divisional games though, ya know?  Divisional games are most always ugly and grindy slog fests.  I do agree with you that Atlanta's issues have been all Atlanta induced...I will tell you though that I am really high on Mack and that's the one concern I have.  His ability to move chain after chain and keep them in the game for longer than they should be.

I think we can handle TY on the back end.  Jacoby is alright, but he's not going to beat us.  My largest concern is a grind it out, 8 min drive resulting in a fg type game from them where if we get off slow, or Matt makes a dumb throw, etc...could make for a close game down the stretch.

All that said, I still think we take care of business like I thought we would against Philly.

13 minutes ago, FalconAge said:

He’s only on pace for 40TDs and 8int with a 69% completion rate. If we overlook them like the Browns last year, we will be toast and everyone will be complaining here about it. 

Ergo Proxy, duckhoa and Ovie_Lover like this

4 minutes ago, athell said:

It's always hard to evaluate divisional games though, ya know?  Divisional games are most always ugly and grindy slog fests.  I do agree with you that Atlanta's issues have been all Atlanta induced...I will tell you though that I am really high on Mack and that's the one concern I have.  His ability to move chain after chain and keep them in the game for longer than they should be.

I think we can handle TY on the back end.  Jacoby is alright, but he's not going to beat us.  My largest concern is a grind it out, 8 min drive resulting in a fg type game from them where if we get off slow, or Matt makes a dumb throw, etc...could make for a close game down the stretch.

All that said, I still think we take care of business like I thought we would against Philly.

I agree it was a divisional match up, but go watch that game. Tennessee is a poorly coached group. Any degree of coaching and they win that game comfortably. It's so hard to watch I don't know if I want to watch it again. 

Marlon Mack can give them fits, I agree. He churns out runs and keeps that offense on schedule. That OL is close to the Eagles group, so it will be another fight on the ground. 

Obviously, some of my projection is assuming Matt doesn't throw stupid balls again. That will keep anybody in the game. He plays a clean game and it should be the Falcons to lose. 

PokerSteve, Ergo Proxy and athell like this

31 minutes ago, MD-FalconFan13 said:

I don’t even think it’s that complicated.

Personally if we can get our run game going I don’t think any defense is touching us.Thats the key for me.We’ve just ground out a tough win with TOers and zero running attack to speak of.

If we can 

1.Lessen the TOers 

and 

2.get the ground game going everything falls into place.

I still think we are a highly tuned engine not clicking on all our cylinders.

4 minutes ago, droopy1592 said:

He’s only on pace for 40TDs and 8int with a 69% completion rate. If we overlook them like the Browns last year, we will be toast and everyone will be complaining here about it. 

And Matt's on pace for 40 TDs and 40 INTs. Legend. 

Lol the fans have no bearing on the players. I agree though, if the players overlook them, then they will get the same thing the Browns did to them last year. But I don't think that's happening. I think DQ is gonna have them locked in. I think they got caught looking ahead to the Eagles. Now, there is no game to look ahead to except the next one. 

Ergo Proxy and PokerSteve like this

3 minutes ago, vel said:

I agree it was a divisional match up, but go watch that game. Tennessee is a poorly coached group. Any degree of coaching and they win that game comfortably. It's so hard to watch I don't know if I want to watch it again. 

Marlon Mack can give them fits, I agree. He churns out runs and keeps that offense on schedule. That OL is close to the Eagles group, so it will be another fight on the ground. 

Obviously, some of my projection is assuming Matt doesn't throw stupid balls again. That will keep anybody in the game. He plays a clean game and it should be the Falcons to lose. 

I try to avoid any and all Tennessee Titan games, friend :)

I think this is the game Matt starts looking like Matt again.  Minny and Philly just make him look silly.  It's why I'm confident as well.  I think Matt finally has a clean game.

1 minute ago, athell said:

I try to avoid any and all Tennessee Titan games, friend :)

I think this is the game Matt starts looking like Matt again.  Minny and Philly just make him look silly.  It's why I'm confident as well.  I think Matt finally has a clean game.

Oh trust me. I live here and refuse to watch them. I was pissed when I realized I had to watch this one this week.

Agreed though. I'm glad we're through the MIN-PHI back to back. That was always going to be ugly and getting out 1-1 is a big win. Like you said, I think Matt starts to settle in here. I think the running game gets going and he doesn't feel the pressure to constantly produce. 

Ergo Proxy and athell like this

2 minutes ago, vel said:

Oh trust me. I live here and refuse to watch them. I was pissed when I realized I had to watch this one this week.

Agreed though. I'm glad we're through the MIN-PHI back to back. That was always going to be ugly and getting out 1-1 is a big win. Like you said, I think Matt starts to settle in here. I think the running game gets going and he doesn't feel the pressure to constantly produce. 

Tennessee is such a rough watch.  Their style of play is so ugly and boring I cannot take it for more than a quarter.  I won't even bother if they are in prime time like this Thursday.  Titans/Jags?  Heck no, I respect my time much more than that lol

vel and duckhoa like this

35 minutes ago, FalconAge said:

I think the defense will definitely do their part. It's the offense in worried about. I will not be surprised if we lose this. It won't be because of the defense.  If the offense can even play average, we will win. 

24 minutes ago, vel said:

And Matt's on pace for 40 TDs and 40 INTs. Legend. 

Lol the fans have no bearing on the players. I agree though, if the players overlook them, then they will get the same thing the Browns did to them last year. But I don't think that's happening. I think DQ is gonna have them locked in. I think they got caught looking ahead to the Eagles. Now, there is no game to look ahead to except the next one. 

My point is we don’t know what we are facing. I’m still scared. 

Ergo Proxy likes this

1 hour ago, vel said:

Yea I saw the same, which is why I didn't post it. That Vikings game ain't happening again. Especially not against the Colts. 

He even acknowledged at the end that this is an uphill battle for the Colts. 

It is if Brissett  is throwing  for 150 yards every game. Unless mack and company rush for 300. Every game.

I went to their message boards and there were a number of balanced posts over there. A few only watched the game against the Vikings and have some misconceptions.  Those that watched SNF were impressed with our Defense and think that might be an issue for them. A few homers said that the Falcons weren't mentally tough and the noise, environment and pass rush will wear them down.

12 minutes ago, droopy1592 said:

My point is we don’t know what we are facing. I’m still scared. 

At least you know that ryan can win a shoot out. Can't  say the same for Brissett. 

vel and Ergo Proxy like this

1 minute ago, FalconFan1st said:

I went to their message boards and there were a number of balanced posts over there. A few only watched the game against the Vikings and have some misconceptions.  Those that watched SNF were impressed with our Defense and think that might be an issue for them. A few homers said that the Falcons weren't mentally tough and the noise, environment and pass rush will wear them down.

Well I'm one of the fans from over there. My question  is how good is your pass defense.  

Ergo Proxy likes this

Just now, Rpgczar7 said:

Well I'm one of the fans from over there. My question  is how good is your pass defense.  

Good and improving. Oliver (CB) is fairly new. But he is fast and when focused shows his potential but there are times when he doesn't get his head around and gets penalized. Trufant has really turned a corner (corner LOL) and looks great this year. If I were the Colts I would not target whatever side he is on.

The Falcons can be dinked and dunked against because they play a lot of Zone coverage. But they are fast and physical and will knock the ball out on the tackle if they can.

The pass rush has the potential to give QB's nightmares.Grady will be everywhere. However if the QB breaks contain and goes into backyard football mode, that's when the Falcons typically will give up a long play or two.

The Daywalker and Ergo Proxy like this