Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
falconidae

This offense is about to take off

49 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, vel said:

Fans are scared to be optimistic but it's real. Matt missed two TDs to Ridley and Hardy on the same drive. That's 7 points. 

Matt Bryant missed a FG. That's 3. 

Matt had Stocker wide open for a potential walk in 7 instead of throwing an INT to Hooper.

That's 17 points right there. 10 at the least. In a game we won 24-20. That could have been a 34-41 point output. 

I'm right there with you. People hated the Koetter hire but forgot what he did in 2012 with that talent. He's got even more now. Get ready!

The pass rush had a lot to do with the bad throws. Ryan sure looked like he was rushing his throws. Could be because the week before he was on his tail on most of his drop backs. Plus Eagles have a good pass rush.

1 minute ago, high impact said:

Just get better every week. That would be great.

I predict within 2 more games we will be firing on all cylinders and look reminiscent of our 2016 offense. It’s all a matter of timing and gelling. 

high impact likes this

I agree with all this.  The first two weeks in the NFL are almost preseason games.  Guys are finally getting to hit and exposed to the tempo of the game (timing).  I am concerned a little with the run game, but I think that will get fixed too.  I believe next week we start to take off, then the week after you will really start to see the offense go.  I bet Ryan doesn't throw another five INT's this season.  Well, I'll take the under on 5 1/2 if someone wants to bet!

14 minutes ago, falconidae said:

Yeah, not that I want bragging rights, although I do, but no point in claiming you knew something was going to happen after it does.

I believe it, just was quiet. Yeah no point in saying it later. 

35 minutes ago, Da_Truth said:

So far it appears Koetter hasn't been calling Shanahan's concepts, e.g., rub routes, medium-deep crosses, wheel routes, quick slants.  He's been calling his signature screens and go routes.  Hope he integrates more of the plays as the season goes on.  At least he finally beat Philly.

This, to me, is enormous.  Koetter is flexible if he's anything.  He doesn't care who came up with it, if it works he'll use it.  He's using more RPOs than we've used in the past.  He's running his screens.  He runs vertical concepts on 3rd and long.  He's running outside zone and inside zone in the running game.  He put in that shovel pass that nearly scored.  He's implemented some chip blocks, something I've been screaming for since before Shanahan got here.  Flexibility goes a long way when it comes to putting together a game plan.  It's what makes Belichick great on the other side of the ball.

EDIT: only to note that we have run some rub routes in the first 2 games, and Koetter has always loved wheel routes.  So we'll still see those.  He's using RPOs in lieu of quick slants, but I bet he'll run those as well.

Da_Truth and WhenFalconsWin like this

21 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

This, to me, is enormous.  Koetter is flexible if he's anything.  He doesn't care who came up with it, if it works he'll use it.  He's using more RPOs than we've used in the past.  He's running his screens.  He runs vertical concepts on 3rd and long.  He's running outside zone and inside zone in the running game.  He put in that shovel pass that nearly scored.  He's implemented some chip blocks, something I've been screaming for since before Shanahan got here.  Flexibility goes a long way when it comes to putting together a game plan.  It's what makes Belichick great on the other side of the ball.

EDIT: only to note that we have run some rub routes in the first 2 games, and Koetter has always loved wheel routes.  So we'll still see those.  He's using RPOs in lieu of quick slants, but I bet he'll run those as well.

Hope so. What we did see is one if his signature play calls that won us the game against the eagles.

Da_Truth and JDaveG like this

35 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

I was excited about Koetter coming back for a few reasons:  experience OC will make in-game adjustments and allows Ryan to audible out of plays.  I brought up those plays because it made the offense more dynamic with the speed we have and it keeps the ball moving.  Koetter is probably still learning how and when to integrate Shanny's plays.  Hope he gets back to more of what the Falcons were doing, as well as, mix in some of his plays.

vel and JDaveG like this

1 hour ago, vel said:

Fans are scared to be optimistic but it's real. Matt missed two TDs to Ridley and Hardy on the same drive. That's 7 points. 

Matt Bryant missed a FG. That's 3. 

Matt had Stocker wide open for a potential walk in 7 instead of throwing an INT to Hooper.

That's 17 points right there. 10 at the least. In a game we won 24-20. That could have been a 34-41 point output. 

I'm right there with you. People hated the Koetter hire but forgot what he did in 2012 with that talent. He's got even more now. Get ready!

We’ve also been getting setback from a ton of penalties, many procedural. Mack, Matthews, Brown, Carpenter, Lindstrom, Ridley, Russell Gage (2), Hardy and Sambrailo all have penalties in first two games.

This is largely a product of getting all the new players and coaching staff on same page and something I expected coming into the season. 

So, over next couple of game we get Ryan back in his groove with a pocket to step up into and deliver his usual surgical precision passes, get Ryan and his receivers all on same page, get the OL and running backs timing down in running game and mitigate the penalties, and we are back near 2016 level production. Maybe not quite as good, but dam close.

vel, nomak and Drew4719 like this

1 hour ago, Da_Truth said:

So far it appears Koetter hasn't been calling Shanahan's concepts, e.g., rub routes, medium-deep crosses, wheel routes, quick slants.  He's been calling his signature screens and go routes.  Hope he integrates more of the plays as the season goes on.  At least he finally beat Philly.

I don't think this is a knock on Koetter. Remember, even Kyle only scored 15 points on PHI in 2016. If those plays don't work well against the defense they run, why call them? 

Koetter called the right gameplan vs both MIN and PHI. Matt throwing INTs is derailing things. Freeman's fumble and the blocked punt vs MIN made it worse. But like he pointed out, 7 of their 10 drives crossed the 50 yard line vs MIN. That's 70% success with two red zone turnovers. Versus PHI, the INTs showed up again, but you saw they knew the best way to move the ball vs that defense. If it wasn't for Bosher being hurt, killing the field position game, it's a different story there as well. 

gazoo, falconidae and Drew4719 like this

2 hours ago, ya_boi_j said:

Matt leaves throws on the field that could be touchdowns week in and week out. That's nothing new. I'm saying they could have easily put up 40 on the Eagles because they literally have a horrible secondary. I said it all last week. that could have easily been a blowout had he connected on a few more passes

It's not just on Matt. The offense is slowly getting it's timing back because of lack of real time play. This week will be better and the next going forward will rock!!! 

falconidae likes this

1 hour ago, gazoo said:

We’ve also been getting setback from a ton of penalties, many procedural. Mack, Matthews, Brown, Carpenter, Lindstrom, Ridley, Russell Gage (2), Hardy and Sambrailo all have penalties in first two games.

This is largely a product of getting all the new players and coaching staff on same page and something I expected coming into the season. 

So, over next couple of game we get Ryan back in his groove with a pocket to step up into and deliver his usual surgical precision passes, get Ryan and his receivers all on same page, get the OL and running backs timing down in running game and mitigate the penalties, and we are back near 2016 level production. Maybe not quite as good, but dam close.

Agree. 

gazoo, falconidae and Drew4719 like this

5 minutes ago, nomak said:

It's not just on Matt. The offense is slowly getting it's timing back because of lack of real time play. This week will be better and the next going forward will rock!!! 

lol yall acting like i'm sitting here bashing Matt or something.

3 hours ago, Falcster said:

I really, really hope you are right!  Being a Falcons die-hard fan since 1966, I am tired of bring the suffering fan!

I really hope he’s right too but we saw glimpses when Sark was here

1 minute ago, ya_boi_j said:

I wasn't thinking that at all.  I'm just having a conversation.  It's all good.  I understand what you're saying. 

2 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

His arm is about to fall off:sadwave:

1 hour ago, vel said:

I don't think this is a knock on Koetter. Remember, even Kyle only scored 15 points on PHI in 2016. If those plays don't work well against the defense they run, why call them? 

Koetter called the right gameplan vs both MIN and PHI. Matt throwing INTs is derailing things. Freeman's fumble and the blocked punt vs MIN made it worse. But like he pointed out, 7 of their 10 drives crossed the 50 yard line vs MIN. That's 70% success with two red zone turnovers. Versus PHI, the INTs showed up again, but you saw they knew the best way to move the ball vs that defense. If it wasn't for Bosher being hurt, killing the field position game, it's a different story there as well. 

Who says they don't work well?  We didn't call any of them.  

Just now, Da_Truth said:

Who says they don't work well?  We didn't call any of them.  

In 2016, they produced 15 points. In two years with Sark, they produce 10-12 points. In one game under Koetter, they produced 24 with room for more. For that game, why integrate the plays that netted 10-15 points? Maybe that's not the week it's for. 

falconidae and Drew4719 like this

9 minutes ago, vel said:

In 2016, they produced 15 points. In two years with Sark, they produce 10-12 points. In one game under Koetter, they produced 24 with room for more. For that game, why integrate the plays that netted 10-15 points? Maybe that's not the week it's for. 

I never said I was happy with Shanahan or Sark's play calling against the Eagles.  Both were too predictable and didn't attack the weakness (CBs failing against rub routes and double-moves).  Play calling is all about timing and using plays early to setup other plays later.  And why on earth are we still throwing to Stocker?  He hasn't even been a reliable blocker.  Again, we have too much talent on this team to allow defenses to stifle the offense. I just hope we're not back to going to one or two guys most of the game.  

3 hours ago, schwarzenegger321 said:

I agree with all this.  The first two weeks in the NFL are almost preseason games.  Guys are finally getting to hit and exposed to the tempo of the game (timing).  I am concerned a little with the run game, but I think that will get fixed too.  I believe next week we start to take off, then the week after you will really start to see the offense go.  I bet Ryan doesn't throw another five INT's this season.  Well, I'll take the under on 5 1/2 if someone wants to bet!

Schwarz, I like your positive thought process, but I will take that bet.

I just do not see how Matt avoids throwing under 6 interceptions over the rest of the season.  He is clearly in the middle of the learning curve for this offense.  

If I win, you give me a good falcon picture for my avatar.  

If I lose, you can make my avatar a donkey or whatever you choose.

4 hours ago, sdogg said:

Relax dude, I'm a huge Ryan fan. That jersey in my profile pic is the only authentic player jersey I have ever bought and I bought it shortly after he was drafted. Had a hunch he would be our best QB ever. But he's not playing good so far. Period. I'm sure he knows this as well and I'm sure he doesn't care what I think. But that's not going to stop me from posting my opinion on here, like we all do. Geez!

You should already know ppl aren't allowed to have opinions on this board with it and you being attacked 

sdogg likes this

14 minutes ago, duckhoa said:

Schwarz, I like your positive thought process, but I will take that bet.

I just do not see how Matt avoids throwing under 6 interceptions over the rest of the season.  He is clearly in the middle of the learning curve for this offense.  

If I win, you give me a good falcon picture for my avatar.  

If I lose, you can make my avatar a donkey or whatever you choose.

Okay, sound like a bet.  Just remind me at the end of the regular season.

duckhoa likes this

26 minutes ago, Dr Long Shot said:

Free is going to make a lot of posters look silly in a few weeks time is my prediciton.

Naw.....Ito is going to be the man soon.