Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
falconidae

This offense is about to take off

49 posts in this topic

Been thinking this, might as well proclaim it.

Falcons could easily have put 40 points on the board against a very good Eagles defense, Falcons stopped themselves, not the Eagles.

Could easily have put 30 up on the Vikings. Same story, they stopped themselves.

There are 3 new Olinemen, 2 new coordinators, 1 stud RB coming back from injury. Ryan has made some uncharacteristic mistakes.

As much as I agree with not playing starters in preseason, it does mean the first few games can be sloppy.

This Falcons offense is going to come together soon and put up huge huge numbers. We've seen glimpses of it. We're about to see a top five offense on the field.

Ryan needs to get his head out of his rear and start making better decisions. Freeman needs to get going. One that happens, we will take off. 

IMHO, the Falcons could have easily put up major points against the Eagles because the Eagles are simply trash against the pass. Matt left a lot of throws on the field. That's not going to be the case every week. The next 6 weeks alone all feature secondaries better than the Eagles, well maybe not the Cardinals.

HASHBROWN3 likes this

I love the optimism, but I still see the offense as a work in progress with a long ways to go until they get their **** together. Yes, the Falcons offense could have done a lot of things, but they are making way too many mistakes. I see the mistakes with new players (Luke Stocker looks like garbage right now) and veteran players like Ryan and Matthews making too many bad decisions or penalties. I think that the offensive play will improve, but it is likely to result in more losses along the way as a result of the learning curve with DK's playbook. I hope I'm wrong and you're right. I just don't see any smooth operation out fo the O yet.

Edited by 4dabirds
duckhoa likes this

15 minutes ago, sdogg said:

Ryan needs to get his head out of his rear and start making better decisions. Freeman needs to get going. One that happens, we will take off. 

Lol!  Whatever.  Matt knows what he needs to do.  He sure don't need a person who has never stepped on an NFL field to tell him what he needs to do about anything. 

ATLSlobberKnockers likes this

Of all the things I worry about, this team scoring points isn't one of them. They'll get it worked out, like you say. Everything about our season hinges on this defense, and if our HC can resist the urge to do ridiculous things at the worst possible times. 

Just now, nomak said:

Lol!  Whatever.  Matt knows what he needs to do.  He sure don't need a person who has never stepped on an NFL field to tell him what he needs to do about anything. 

Relax dude, I'm a huge Ryan fan. That jersey in my profile pic is the only authentic player jersey I have ever bought and I bought it shortly after he was drafted. Had a hunch he would be our best QB ever. But he's not playing good so far. Period. I'm sure he knows this as well and I'm sure he doesn't care what I think. But that's not going to stop me from posting my opinion on here, like we all do. Geez!

DK is still figuring out what personnel to use. It may take till week 4 to get there. Hardy had no business on that deep throw in the middle. Luke Stocker on back of end zone against Vikings was Head scratcher. This team is just figuring out how to handle blitzes. They are close to putting it together.

falconidae likes this

5 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

DK is still figuring out what personnel to use. It may take till week 4 to get there. Hardy had no business on that deep throw in the middle. Luke Stocker on back of end zone against Vikings was Head scratcher. This team is just figuring out how to handle blitzes. They are close to putting it together.

Exactly. 

And, looks like the defense can keep them in games until that happens.

Within a couple of more games the offenses timing will be much more on point in running game. I am not sure fans realize how important the timing of the blocking is and how RBs have to be in perfect sync with it.

We’ve got great running backs for the scheme, so when our running game is churning there will be plenty of opportunities downfield in passing game even against good secondaries. Don’t forget we have Julio, Ridley, Sanu and Hooper. There is no way to stop the run and double those receivers. 

In fact, we can beat you any way we choose to. It’s not about what your defense does well, it’s about our ability to attack in any way.

What impressed me most Sunday night was the relentless blitzing and pressure packages Schwartz threw at Ryan, yet Ryan had a pocket to step up into virtually the entire night.  As he gets his timing with receivers down, he’ll be lethal with a real pocket.

falconidae likes this

59 minutes ago, falconidae said:

This Falcons offense is going to come together soon and put up huge huge numbers. We've seen glimpses of it. We're about to see a top five offense on the field.

Totally agree.  I think the offense is about to explode now that they are starting to get thier feet under them.  And if the defense continues playing like a top 5 unit..  we can beat anyone.

I’d like to see less targeting Stocker, I’m terrified because the screens worked to Julio so well that Dirk is going to dial it up ten time against the colts (he loves that play), and see something going on the ground, and most importantly, staying healthy.  But I agree, offense will click over next few weeks.

Jerz #Quinning likes this

I feel the same way but didn’t want to say anything just yet. Matt just got past THE TWO defenses that ALWAYS give him fits. Now things are starting to come together... line gelling, defense is mean. Barring injuries, other teams will hate to see us coming. 

falconidae and gazoo like this

So far it appears Koetter hasn't been calling Shanahan's concepts, e.g., rub routes, medium-deep crosses, wheel routes, quick slants.  He's been calling his signature screens and go routes.  Hope he integrates more of the plays as the season goes on.  At least he finally beat Philly.

53 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

IMHO, the Falcons could have easily put up major points against the Eagles because the Eagles are simply trash against the pass. Matt left a lot of throws on the field. That's not going to be the case every week. The next 6 weeks alone all feature secondaries better than the Eagles, well maybe not the Cardinals.

Did you mean that Matt won't leave throws on the field or that the other teams will have better secondaries?

Not trying to be snarky but really wasn't sure.

I think that this offense  hitting on all cylinders can score on any team.

5 minutes ago, droopy1592 said:

I feel the same way but didn’t want to say anything just yet. Matt just got past THE TWO defenses that ALWAYS give him fits. Now things are starting to come together... line gelling, defense is mean. Barring injuries, other teams will hate to see us coming. 

Yeah, not that I want bragging rights, although I do, but no point in claiming you knew something was going to happen after it does.

As far as the run game and o-line gelling..  let's not forget that they were trying to do so against two of the fiercest defensive fronts in the NFL.  They got thier ***** handed to them in week 1 and then held up pretty darn well against an onslaught of nonstop blitzes in week 2.   I think the trial by fire these first two weeks will help accelerate that gelling.  If that is the case(which I think it will be) our offense is going to tear some defenses apart.

I think Freeman will get going soon. He has not been on a field for over a year, for the most part. I think he will get his vision and "sea-legs" back in another game or two at the most

Emmitt likes this

1 hour ago, falconidae said:

Been thinking this, might as well proclaim it.

Falcons could easily have put 40 points on the board against a very good Eagles defense, Falcons stopped themselves, not the Eagles.

Could easily have put 30 up on the Vikings. Same story, they stopped themselves.

There are 3 new Olinemen, 2 new coordinators, 1 stud RB coming back from injury. Ryan has made some uncharacteristic mistakes.

As much as I agree with not playing starters in preseason, it does mean the first few games can be sloppy.

Fans are scared to be optimistic but it's real. Matt missed two TDs to Ridley and Hardy on the same drive. That's 7 points. 

Matt Bryant missed a FG. That's 3. 

Matt had Stocker wide open for a potential walk in 7 instead of throwing an INT to Hooper.

That's 17 points right there. 10 at the least. In a game we won 24-20. That could have been a 34-41 point output. 

I'm right there with you. People hated the Koetter hire but forgot what he did in 2012 with that talent. He's got even more now. Get ready!

falconidae, Drew4719, gazoo and 1 other like this

4 minutes ago, falconidae said:

Did you mean that Matt won't leave throws on the field or that the other teams will have better secondaries?

Not trying to be snarky but really wasn't sure.

I think that this offense  hitting on all cylinders can score on any team.

Matt leaves throws on the field that could be touchdowns week in and week out. That's nothing new. I'm saying they could have easily put up 40 on the Eagles because they literally have a horrible secondary. I said it all last week. that could have easily been a blowout had he connected on a few more passes