Spts1

Name your first favorite NFL player

170 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Sui_Generis said:

Barry Sanders. Man with a million moves. As gifted as there ever was and with such a humble attitude. 

One of the few players that would have made Julio seem cocky.

All around beast!

I'll always remember those cool EA Sports commercials of the late 90s and Barry Sanders was the featured NFL athlete for Madden 99. I played the heIl outta that game on N64.

JDaveG, Sui_Generis and Spts1 like this

Bart Starr... We had no Falcons back then and Bart was a friend of my parents in college.  I was a cheese head before their were cheeseheads.

bartstarrdownload (30).jpg

Spts1 likes this

On 9/17/2019 at 9:29 AM, Boise Falcon Fan said:

Bartkowski - Still my favorite Falcon's player.  

It's hard to even remember back that far, but this is probably true for me too.  My dad HATED him out of college.  He just always seemed to goober things up in those early seasons (at least if my dad's commentary can be trusted -- I was 5 when he came into the NFL).  

But by the 80s, we were all on board.  I still liked players from other teams, and ours too.  I loved William Andrews.  Lynn Cain.  I loved Roger Staubach and Tony Dorsett, back before Jerry Jones ruined the Cowboys for me.  Huge fan of Bradshaw and Lynn Swann.  But Bart was probably my first favorite.  He was my QB.  And he was an awfully good one, to play on such bad teams.

11 hours ago, Sui_Generis said:

Barry Sanders. Man with a million moves. As gifted as there ever was and with such a humble attitude. 

One of the few players that would have made Julio seem cocky.

All around beast!

He wasn't my first favorite, but man he was a favorite quickly.

My brother-in-law and I still look at each other sometimes and one of us says "can you imagine if Barry ran behind those Cowboys lines that Emmitt Smith got to run behind......."

Sui_Generis likes this

Jessie"Hammer"Tuggle.Im a little biased,cause he played his entire football career in Ga

Edited by falconfan5832
Forgot something
Spts1 likes this

10 hours ago, coastiemike said:

Earl Campbell. 

The greatest run ever by a running back.  Whats amazing and ironic is he bucked a RAM.  A ram is suppose to buck YOU.  Look, Jim Brown, William Andrews, they had some POWERFUL runs ( that run by Andrews against the 49ers is brutal).  Dickerson, Dorsett, Sanders etc.  they had some long PRETTY runs.   This run here by Campbell is a work of ART.  The way he slows down and SIZES up his victim before mauling him, then, the cut back across INTO the teeth of the defense where he drags defenders and they LITERALLY pull his jersey off trying to bring him down.  Nah, this wasn't a tackle, they had to call in the national guard to bring him down...:lol:

Image result for earl campbell gif

Edited by slickgadawg
JDaveG likes this

On 9/17/2019 at 9:54 AM, V-Town Falcon said:

Jamal Anderson. Everybody doing the dirty bird dance that year we made a run to the Super Bowl.

Yep. Me too. So sad he couldn't escape injury. One of the greatest RB ever for the Falcons. And his Dirty Bird Dance is iconic. It ain't never gonna go away.

V-Town Falcon and JDaveG like this

7 hours ago, trudweathers said:

Bart Starr... We had no Falcons back then and Bart was a friend of my parents in college.  I was a cheese head before their were cheeseheads.

Living in Alabama the number of old folks here that are Packer fans because of Bart Starr is amazing!! It's all Packers and Cowboys around here.

trudweathers likes this

7 hours ago, trudweathers said:

Thats a beautiful picture.  It reminds you of the 1960s and the classic NFL...

Edited by slickgadawg
trudweathers likes this

1 hour ago, JDaveG said:

He wasn't my first favorite, but man he was a favorite quickly.

My brother-in-law and I still look at each other sometimes and one of us says "can you imagine if Barry ran behind those Cowboys lines that Emmitt Smith got to run behind......."

I almost typed that exact statement. If he kept playing no telling what his final numbers could be. 

JDaveG likes this

Jeff Van Note - my ultimate early favorite because I had met the guy once, but I could not explain much about how good he was (no stats or such for a C)

Steve Bartkowski - the other early favorite, but not my ultimate because every other kid in my school liked him

Edited by jlrfalcon

12 hours ago, slickgadawg said:

Thats a beautiful picture.  It reminds you of the 1960s and the classic NFL...

Real man football...  A different game than we have today. 

The 1st: Michael Vick. Even today I get chills watching his highlights. What a shame it turned out the way it did. No player in the league has ever had his skill set. The agility, mobility, speed, and elusiveness. An effortless flick of the wrist launching a football 60 yards. Insane. 

All time: Matt Ryan. Leadership, intelligence, class act, intangibles, toughness, the desire to be the best he can be and leave it all on the field. Nobody will ever say he was the best at anything in particular. However, he is a jack of all trades. As long as Matt Ryan is on the field I believe the Falcons have a chance. I hope some day he can hoist the Lombardi as a Falcon. I don't think anyone deserves it more than him.