Spts1

Name your first favorite NFL player

170 posts in this topic

While watching parts of the game last night I saw Joe Namath.   It reminded me that he was the first NFL player that I liked growing up.  Everything about Namath is the template of what I felt was the prototype NFL quarterback.  Joe threw for 4,000 yards back when the NFL was a running league.  Joe threw a " pretty " ball,  had the classic drop back style in the pocket, and did these things with SWAG.  Everything about him was swag, even his number "12" which i still feel is the  classic quarterback number.   Before primetime, manziel, ocho cinco, odell beckham  or any of them, there was Joe and Joe is STILL cool as ****...  Steve Barktkowski was my first favorite falcon but Joe was my first favorite player before I even knew who the Falcons were...

THE CLASSIC DROP BACK:

Image result for joe namath

Joe even STOOD in the pocket cool as ****...

PERFECTION.  THE PERFECT FORM:

Image result for joe namath gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrCR1yn4heM

Namath Watches Brown Dance : News Photo

Edited by slickgadawg

23 hours ago, Boise Falcon Fan said:

Bartkowski - Still my favorite Falcon's player.  

" Buckhead Bart " was the Falcon's answer to Namath.   Bart had very similar mechanics to Joe.  He didn't have the swag but Bart could sling it with the best of them...

UPDATE: Its " Peachtree Bart ",  my bad...

Image result for steve bartkowski

Edited by slickgadawg

28 minutes ago, Francis York Morgan said:

Weird one maybe, but for me it was Terance Mathis. He's the reason I'm a Falcons fan. Loved the red and black as a kid, then I saw him against the 49ers in 98 and the rest is history. Vick sealed my fate.

I actually went to High School with Terence(he's a year younger). Really good guy

22 minutes ago, Francis York Morgan said:

Weird one maybe, but for me it was Terance Mathis. He's the reason I'm a Falcons fan. Loved the red and black as a kid, then I saw him against the 49ers in 98 and the rest is history. Vick sealed my fate.

That's fantastic! Mathis is def top 5 for me. I still remember the game he scored the game winning touchdown against the 49ers, which put us in the playoffs in '95. I remember that was the first time I lost my mind for a Falcons game (I'd been a fan since '89 but there weren't many cheerable moments like that).

1 minute ago, pa_falcon_fan said:

Dan Marino ..  my dad was a Dolphins fan when I was a kid so I watched a lot of his games.

When I decided I was a Falcons fan in the late 80s (age 12), Jessie Tuggle quickly became my favorite.  

I also was a huge Marino fan.