ShmevinShmarris

Explain To Me How..

61 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, ShmevinShmarris said:

Seeing if there was something to learn from the play. For example Julio’s td on the pick play against Seattle the year we went to the Super Bowl was a legal play because the receiver was blocking within one yard of the LOS. I didn’t know that at the time.

Go practice falling down.

I've been told much worse. Looking for reasons as to why the team should have lost is always going to be questioned. Get used to it if you're gonna do it

hjerry and Geneaut like this

8 hours ago, hjerry said:

Do this for me. Just imagine Sanu isn't even there, and imagine the Defender heading into the backfield, stopping, and turning to chase Julio.

His movements would've been the same regardless

I disagree with that. He was arching around Sanu but Sanu definitely engages with his back 

2 minutes ago, ShmevinShmarris said:

I disagree with that. He was arching around Sanu but Sanu definitely engages with his back 

Dude, you already made up your mind. It’s not contact which makes it block. He doesn’t push him or block him to the ground. There is no illegal engagement penalty, you know what’s a block. 

JDaveG, Ergo Proxy, Geneaut and 1 other like this

3 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

I've been told much worse. Looking for reasons as to why the team should have lost is always going to be questioned. Get used to it if you're gonna do it

Its a quote from Joe Dirt.

But no ones looking for reasons we should of lost. Me, a rationale human being, is trying to better understand the nuances of the game. The outcome of the game has literally nothing to do with this.

caponine likes this

3 minutes ago, ShmevinShmarris said:

Its a quote from Joe Dirt.

But no ones looking for reasons we should of lost. Me, a rationale human being, is trying to better understand the nuances of the game. The outcome of the game has literally nothing to do with this.

if you say so

Looking at the rules there is an exception for players turning into the block which you may have been able to argue was the case here as the DB is turning to chase. It is also a penalty mostly called on special teams to protect gunners, and if you look at the number of them called every season it is usually less than 1 a game.

So my take is this: it happens all the time on offense ( it's even legal inside the tackles 3 yards either side of the line of scrimmage ) and it's only going to get called on O if it is so super egregious it's ridiculous. We didn't get a break so much as we benefited from what is the typical interpretation of the rule on plays like this. On a punt this may have been called, but on offense it just wasn't going to be.

The fact no one else is really talking it up is an indicator most people didn't see anything wrong with the contact.

Edited by Geneaut

10 hours ago, octoslash said:

The defender turned into it, making it look like a block in the back.

:ninja:

:munch:

Truth! 

9 hours ago, caponine said:

Sanu knew he blocked in the back, missed call. Cant do anything about it now  

the defenders momentum carried him past Julio, Sanu merely followed through with his responsibility and the defender tried to revert back after losing Jones in the other direction.  It was a good no-call.  If Sanu's block had the defender continue to progress backwards, it could have been considered, but the defender knew at the point he had lost and fell to the ground.

9 minutes ago, Geneaut said:

Looking at the rules there is an exception for players turning into the block which you may have been able to argue was the case here as the DB is turning to chase. It is also a penalty mostly called on special teams to protect gunners, and if you look at the number of them called every season it is usually less than 1 a game.

So my take is this: it happens all the time on offense ( it's even legal inside the tackles 3 yards either side of the line of scrimmage ) and it's only going to get called on O if it is so super egregious it's ridiculous. We didn't get a break so much as we benefited from what is the typical interpretation of the rule on plays like this. On a punt this may have been called, but on offense it just wasn't going to be.

The fact no one else is really talking it up is an indicator most people didn't see anything wrong with the contact.

Thanks for bringing reasoning to a thread full of egos 

47 minutes ago, Geneaut said:

Football is not tag in your back yard. There is contact in almost every play. Did Sanu block him from back? No. Did Sanu get behind and push him? No. The change of direction from a defender is not Sanu’s problem. Pick and play happens all the time in NFL. Jim Schwartz knew it when he blitzed.

9 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

Football is not tag in your back yard. There is contact in almost every play. Did Sanu block him from back? No. Did Sanu get behind and push him? No. The change of direction from a defender is not Sanu’s problem. Pick and play happens all the time in NFL. Jim Schwartz knew it when he blitzed.

Yep. The penalty is basically exists to protect players on returns. It's just not going to be called on offensive plays very often. The refs are watching illegal picks/illegal men down field in that situation.

1 hour ago, ShmevinShmarris said:

LOL stop it bro, Waytch this video of the coaches tape. Sanu barely even got a good handle on the guy. The corner washed himself out of the play

Bigbenright likes this

Julio went in 2 yds. Came back and the db was playing off. Db misses no matter what. Sanu barely got a hand on him and didn't affect the play.

Eagles had several pick routes that were never flagged. Got them a td.

Edited by mc
Bigbenright likes this

3 hours ago, Stray Dog THA GAWD said:

It definitely was.  One of many lucky breaks Atlanta got in a game they clearly should have lost.

GTFO with that 

12 hours ago, Ergo Proxy said:

Defender did more of a re-route on his own and Sanu puts an arm out but it wasn't an obvious shove. To me, it looked like the DB had control of most of his movements and Sanu set a pick 'n roll. :tiphat:

Sanu barely touches him in the back.

Defender blocks himself out more than any block in back. Refs let it play out because it wasn't obvious. Good no-call.

Beat me to it. Officials are trained to not bring any additional mess into a play and this is a classic case. The defender did more to block himself out of making a play on Julio than Sanu did with one arm. Had the defender went flying Superman-style into the backfield or had Sanu had his arms fully extended while shoving him in the back, I would've expected a flag to come out. But in iffy situations like this, especially with the game virtually being on the line, we all know that officials tend to swallow whistles unless the whole stadium sees it; and even then, it might not matter (see 2012 NFC Title Game)...

Ergo Proxy and Marco102 like this

5 hours ago, ya_boi_j said:

Why does it matter? There wasn't a penalty and the play won the game. Instead of making excuses for losses, now we coming up with reasons the game should have been lost. smh

Some would legimately rather we lose 

They don't know how to deal with a win 

SexualChocolate and ya_boi_j like this

1 minute ago, hjerry said:

Some would legimately rather we lose 

They don't know how to deal with a win 

Apparently so.

5 hours ago, ya_boi_j said:

Why does it matter? There wasn't a penalty and the play won the game. Instead of making excuses for losses, now we coming up with reasons the game should have been lost. smh

5 hours ago, PriMeTiiMe said:

Yeah, definitely should have lost... :lol: Last I checked both teams turned the ball over 3 times giving away points to the other. Last I checked Ryan missed back to back TDs and Aghelor alligator armed a TD. Last I checked we missed a FG after those dropped TDs and the Eagles had the turnover on downs so both came away with 0 on the drives.

It was a back and forth game that came down to the final drive just like every other Philly game. Neither team played well or deserved to win but someone has to. 

It’s the Failcon Fan way.

ya_boi_j likes this

4 minutes ago, Ergo Proxy said:

It’s the Failcon Fan way.

clearly. It's like if the team managed to go 1-15 they'd be trying to figure out why the **** they didn't lose that one game. I forget, draft position would win that battle

Why are we crying about finally benefiting from a potential no call? Especially after watching Julio get mauled every single game and not get a single PI called in his favor.

were crying about this?

good lord

12 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

Apparently so.

7 minutes ago, SkerFalcon8710 said:

Why are we crying about finally benefiting from a potential no call? Especially after watching Julio get mauled every single game and not get a single PI called in his favor.

were crying about this?

good lord

Your moms a hoe