gazoo

Falcons Defense Comes of Age

119 posts in this topic

On 9/17/2019 at 3:39 PM, g-dawg said:

So before the game gazoo aka “Mr Sunshine” warns it will get worse before it gets better - and now - less than a week later, the Falcons have found their identity. 

Hmmmm...

The reality is we weren’t as bad as we looked against the Vikings and we may not be as good as we looked on defense on Sunday night.

Let it play out.  Falcons have played 12.5% of the season.  Gotta see a larger sample size before making declarative statements on Falcons identity for 2019.

Just more speculation by gazoo to try and setup his famous “I told you so’s” that he lives for.

As I said before this game - Falcons defense wasn't as bad as we showed in Vikings game and wasn't as good as we looked vs. Philly.

The truth is the Falcons are an AVERAGE team right now.   hopefully we will improve.

YungFalco and Dr Long Shot like this

On 9/16/2019 at 8:58 PM, gazoo said:

I hear you, but what I’m seeing goes deeper than good play, more than just the results or stats.

There is an intangible, a grit, a new identity has been formed and it’s the thing about last nights game that kept me up all night. That was an all out dogfight last night, and for the first time in years the Falcons defense won a nasty physical trench war. 

Cool story.

On 9/17/2019 at 6:21 PM, g-dawg said:

I don’t create division.   Look at your posting history.

You start topics often stating that “you told us something” and you were right and this group of people were wrong.   You like to make predictions and you only revisit the ones that are right and not the wrong ones.

it’s a tiresome schtick.  There are haters that say 100% of everything is wrong with Falcons and you tend to take the 100% everything is perfect.  To your credit, you actually conceded some flaws last week but quickly took them back with this post and now the Falcons defense has turned the corner - based on ONE performance at home with Eagles missing 2/3 of their top receivers (Alshon Jeffery and DeSean Jackson).

You just overstate everything.  Moderation is your friend - try it some time.

Hit the nail on the head with this post. 

3 hours ago, fuego said:

Cool story.

I have very little respect for posters who come in after a loss and try and rub salt in the faces of posters by taking their posts out of context.. It’s about as low as you can get as a fan.

I predicted more rough patches this year and a 2-2 start.

On 9/16/2019 at 10:38 PM, gazoo said:

I see this team coming completely together by mid season. Just as we start our division then playoff run. Until then we will still have some rough patches at times IMO.

What part of this are you too ignorant to understand @fuego?  This post is about our defensive line finally being able to bully an offensive line that has been bullying us for years. In fact, Eagles cancelled practice Wednesday because they were so beat up.

Our DL played another very physical game tonight. 

On 9/17/2019 at 6:21 PM, g-dawg said:

I don’t create division.   Look at your posting history.

You start topics often stating that “you told us something” and you were right and this group of people were wrong.   You like to make predictions and you only revisit the ones that are right and not the wrong ones.

it’s a tiresome schtick.  There are haters that say 100% of everything is wrong with Falcons and you tend to take the 100% everything is perfect.  To your credit, you actually conceded some flaws last week but quickly took them back with this post and now the Falcons defense has turned the corner - based on ONE performance at home with Eagles missing 2/3 of their top receivers (Alshon Jeffery and DeSean Jackson).

You just overstate everything.  Moderation is your friend - try it some time.

:lol:

12 hours ago, gazoo said:

I have very little respect for posters who come in after a loss and try and rub salt in the faces of posters by taking their posts out of context.. It’s about as low as you can get as a fan.

I predicted more rough patches this year and a 2-2 start.

Your predictions are trash.

You should stop predicting and find something else in life that you are actually good at.

sdogg and Herr Beast like this

2 minutes ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

This is why it's soooo tough to make a thread praising the Falcons.

The reward.  Holding the Colts to one punt.  Not the Peyton Manning Colts.  The Brissett Colts.

Could you imagine what the Peyton Manning Colts would have done to the Falcons yesterday? Peyton would have had about 6 TD passes yesterday.

12 hours ago, gazoo said:

What part of this are you too ignorant to understand @fuego?  This post is about our defensive line finally being able to bully an offensive line that has been bullying us for years. In fact, Eagles cancelled practice Wednesday because they were so beat up.

Our DL played another very physical game tonight. 

Defense was anything but physical yesterday. Defense was soft as Charmin yesterday.

32 minutes ago, NOVAFalconFan said:

Lol!  If the defense has now arrived, how do we send it back?  Is there a return label we can print?

Sadly, it has arrived with 4 flat tires and a serious oil leak. 

NOVAFalconFan likes this

I haven't seen a legit Falcons defense in my entire 19 years as a fan. Not once have I ever been confident they could stop anyone when it was needed. Sad considering DQ and Mike Smith were both defensive coaches.

18 minutes ago, jstammer said:

Sadly, it has arrived with 4 flat tires and a serious oil leak. 

We bought it from this guy “As is.”

main-qimg-90d3a6a5bbbf485f9dd003023d28a1

Edited by NOVAFalconFan
E. T. likes this

3 hours ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Defense was anything but physical yesterday. Defense was soft as Charmin yesterday.

This post is specifically about the DL and it finally having a dog physicality in it. If you want to pretend Grady, Bailey, Davison, Clayborn, Takk and Vic all played soft yesterday I complete disagreed they did play physically, But they also played one of the biggest and best OLs in the e NFL so it’s not like they are going to be blowing them off the line every snap.

15 hours ago, gazoo said:

On 9/16/2019 at 10:38 PM, gazoo said:

I see this team coming completely together by mid season. Just as we start our division then playoff run. Until then we will still have some rough patches at times IMO.

Again, my post is being distorted. What part of the quote above in this thread from last week are posters struggling so much with? 

And while I did say we would still have rough patches, this defense is going to play at a high level on whole as the season progresses so those hyperventilating about doom, we can revisit your comments above later.

2 hours ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Could you imagine what the Peyton Manning Colts would have done to the Falcons yesterday? Peyton would have had about 6 TD passes yesterday.

I don't think it's ever as good or as bad as it looks.  We were completely gashed by the run in weeks 1 and 2.  Indy was ranked 3rd in rushing offense before we played them.  It looks to me like we came in with a plan to stop the run.  Credit to them for gashing us through the air.  

As a team the Colts had 24 carries for 79 yards.  40 of those yards came on 2 carries, the other 22 carries got them 39 yards.  For perspective, they average 149.7 yards rushing per game even after we held them to 79 yards, and they are still ranked 6th in team rushing.

Great defenses are good against the run and pass.  Our plan against Philly was to stop the pass and that worked great.  This week it was obviously to stop the run, and we did that great.  Credit to Indy and Brissett for exploiting our defense through the air.

gazoo likes this

9 minutes ago, gazoo said:

Again, my post is being distorted. What part of the quote above in this thread from last week are posters struggling so much with? 

And while I did say we would still have rough patches, this defense is going to play at a high level on whole as the season progresses so those hyperventilating about doom, we can revisit your comments above later.

what part of "you suck at making predictions, why do you feel the need to continue to do so?" don't you understand?

sdogg likes this

On 9/16/2019 at 8:43 PM, gazoo said:

Now, add this to an offense that is about to explode and we’ve got ourselves in a position to win the division, get home field advantage in playoffs and be good enough to beat anyone, anywhere, in any way, at any time.

get prepared guys - Falcons will have homefield advantage throughout the playoffs.

sdogg likes this

19 hours ago, B_Lo_Touchdowns said:

What a difference a week makes

But we were the number 3 ranked defense after the Eagles game? Surely that counts for something?? :ninja:

1 hour ago, pzummo said:

I don't think it's ever as good or as bad as it looks.  We were completely gashed by the run in weeks 1 and 2.  Indy was ranked 3rd in rushing offense before we played them.  It looks to me like we came in with a plan to stop the run.  Credit to them for gashing us through the air.  

As a team the Colts had 24 carries for 79 yards.  40 of those yards came on 2 carries, the other 22 carries got them 39 yards.  For perspective, they average 149.7 yards rushing per game even after we held them to 79 yards, and they are still ranked 6th in team rushing.

Great defenses are good against the run and pass.  Our plan against Philly was to stop the pass and that worked great.  This week it was obviously to stop the run, and we did that great.  Credit to Indy and Brissett for exploiting our defense through the air.

Many posters have no perspective whatsover. They just rant and rave and attack me when we have a bad game, as if I had claimed we would have no more bad games or struggles this year. They are just little crybabies throwing their oatmeal at me.

I think the DL had a good game considering the situation. Not perfect, but good. Grady, Bailey, Davison, Clayborn, Takk and Vic did not play "soft" yesterday. They met, for a second week in a row, one of the most physical and best OLs in the NFL.   They beat up the Eagles so bad the Eagles had to concel practice last Wednesday.

Our problem is penalties and mistakes, not playing soft. Despite over 100 penalty yards we still only lost by 3 points on the road. It is the penalties and mistakes that cost us the game, not the defense.

1 minute ago, gazoo said:

Many posters have no perspective whatsover. They just rant and rave and attack me when we have a bad game, as if I had claimed we would have no more bad games or struggles this year. They are just little crybabies throwing their oatmeal at me.

I think the DL had a good game considering the situation. Not perfect, but good. Grady, Bailey, Davison, Clayborn, Takk and Vic did not play "soft" yesterday. They met, for a second week in a row, one of the most physical and best OLs in the NFL.   They beat up the Eagles so bad the Eagles had to concel practice last Wednesday.

Our problem is penalties and mistakes, not playing soft. Despite over 100 penalty yards we still only lost by 3 points on the road. It is the penalties and mistakes that cost us the game, not the defense.

I tend to view losses as a team stat, but there's no way I can agree about the defense not being a problem in this game.

The Colts had 4 drives in the first half and they were FG, TD, FG, TD.  Two of those drives were 88 and 89 yards, so penalties or not, there's no excusing that.  In 2 of those drives they were able to convert after getting behind the sticks with a 1st and 20 along with a 3rd and 12.  We did have some penalties, but Brissett completed his first 16 pass attempts, so we obviously had major defensive problems.

The D wasn't better in the second half either.  They had 1 stop.  Our offense put together consecutive 75 and 88 yard TD drives that consumed 14 and a half minutes, cutting the lead down to 3.  The D should've been well-rested, yet they gave up a 70 yard TD drive on the Colts 2nd possession making it a 2 possession game again.  The offense answered with another TD only to watch Indy run out over 4 minutes on the last drive and ending the game.

The penalties obviously didn't help, but the defense was abysmal this week.  If their QB completes his first 16 consecutive passes and scoring on 4 consecutive possessions, the D is a major problem.  That's not acceptable by any means.

Falconsfan567 likes this