gazoo

Falcons Defense Comes of Age

119 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, DoYouSeeWhatHappensLarry said:

It was one game against a banged up offense. 

Encouraging but let's see it a couple more times before we celebrate. 

That run defense was legit. That wasn't a banged up unit. That was about as real as it gets. You can try with the offense, but the coverage and pressure was real as well. 

gazoo likes this

41 minutes ago, DoYouSeeWhatHappensLarry said:

It was one game against a banged up offense.

Well, our defense had a lot to do with that.

@g-dawg is right, but we were hitting harder than I've seen in years and doing so smartly with a shoulder not the head, and not launching.  we used to be soft that was  our identity, this was the most unsoft defense I've seen in years from us. Probably since the Dan Reeves era

14 hours ago, Falconcheff said:

That said...we ARE THE #1 PASS DEFENSE IN THE LEAGUE RIGHT NOW!

Probably has a lot to do with the fact that the Vikings didn't need to pass to whoop us.

6 hours ago, vel said:

I will say this:

A very good friend of mine works with the media/press team for Falcons games. We were texting yesterday about the Eagles game. He said this game was bigger than just a win for the defense. They had this one circled as a statement game. They got caught slipping looking forward and that's what aided in the Vikings debacle. They were itching to prove they were a top unit and a force to be reckoned with and wanted to show it on primetime. They definitely did it. They are on a mission this year to prove they are a top group. He said the players said Sunday was just a taste of what they are trying to do this year. 

All of the nice talk they give the media that's record is not what they truly believe. They know they are good and determined to prove it. He's a Bears fan, so he's not one to talk smoke for the Falcons. But he said he wouldn't be surprised if the defense goes on a run here after that game. 

He also said the players hate DLed and McClure lol

You could tell it meant a lot when you saw their reaction to the 4th down play. Haven't seen them laying around heartbroken like that since you know when. 

Our interior run defense is real. That's been rock solid both weeks. If Oliver comes along well then I got faith in the DBs. 

vel likes this

I hope our defense is REAL - God knows we fans have all been craving for a nasty and good defense for a long, long time.   I'm sorry though, you have to do it for more than ONE GAME IN A ROW before saying something's different.

Let's see our Falcons defense get on a run - to me a run is 3 games or more - or at least like maybe something like 4/6 game or 5/8....we gotta see it for more than one game.   Consistency is key..

2 hours ago, g-dawg said:

So before the game gazoo aka “Mr Sunshine” warns it will get worse before it gets better - and now - less than a week later, the Falcons have found their identity. 

That's a false characterization of what I said. 

Here is what I actually said: 

I said the growing pains (aka mistakes) would continue on offense  as they gel, and that the Falcons defense needed to step up to have a shot at beating Eagles. I said I believed the defense would step up but that it was was going to be a tough game to win.

Everything I said was exactly how the game went. One of the toughest wins in franchise history. Offense again made a ton of mistakes, and defense bailed them out with phenomenal play for the win.

Why do you lie to create division here? The boards are better when posters are honest and post honest disagreement. 

1 hour ago, vel said:

That run defense was legit. That wasn't a banged up unit. That was about as real as it gets. You can try with the offense, but the coverage and pressure was real as well. 

Our DL was flat out bullied  by Eagles OL in 2017 playoffs. In fact, Falcons for years have always struggled with OLs like this. In years past, even in years Falcons are playing well, we would inexplicably lose to bad teams that had big lines. 

Eagles OL has 4 huge strong Pro Bowlers on it with 328lb Jason Peters, 335lb Brandon Brooks, 295lb Jason Kelce and 317lb Lane Johnson.  

What happened wasnt that we just won the game. What happened, was for 4 entire quarters our DL and front 7 put a beating on the Eagles. That is what is different this year and it is legit. 

vel likes this

15 minutes ago, gazoo said:

That's a false characterization of what I said. 

Here is what I actually said: 

I said the growing pains (aka mistakes) would continue on offense and  that the Falcons defense needed to step up to have a shot at beating Eagles. I said I believed the defense would step up but that it was was going to be a tough game to win.

Everything I said was exactly how the game went. One of the toughest wins in franchise history. Offense again made a ton of mistakes, and defense bailed them out with phenomenal play for the win.

Why do you lie to create division here? The boards are better when posters are honest and post honest disagreement. 

I don’t create division.   Look at your posting history.

You start topics often stating that “you told us something” and you were right and this group of people were wrong.   You like to make predictions and you only revisit the ones that are right and not the wrong ones.

it’s a tiresome schtick.  There are haters that say 100% of everything is wrong with Falcons and you tend to take the 100% everything is perfect.  To your credit, you actually conceded some flaws last week but quickly took them back with this post and now the Falcons defense has turned the corner - based on ONE performance at home with Eagles missing 2/3 of their top receivers (Alshon Jeffery and DeSean Jackson).

You just overstate everything.  Moderation is your friend - try it some time.

10 minutes ago, gazoo said:

Our DL was flat out bullied  by Eagles OL in 2017 playoffs. In fact, Falcons for years have always struggled with OLs like this. In years past, even in years Falcons are playing well, we would inexplicably lose to bad teams that had big lines. 

Eagles OL has 4 huge strong Pro Bowlers on it with 328lb Jason Peters, 335lb Brandon Brooks, 295lb Jason Kelce and 317lb Lane Johnson.  

What happened wasnt that we just won the game. What happened, was for 4 entire quarters our DL and front 7 put a beating on the Eagles. That is what is different this year and it is legit. 

For four entire quarters. I don't think fans understand that nor actually can fathom it. Takk was beating up Peters all game. Vic got some good rushes on Lane Johnson. Grady was dominating inside again. They couldn't run the ball anywhere. 

That's why I don't care about the "Eagles injuries" talk. The front seven was beating them up. Without having to blitz like the Eagles were. That's crazy.

gazoo, PokerSteve and Godzilla1985 like this

19 hours ago, PokerSteve said:

Yep. No way Oliver was supposed to be able to stop Ertz from just leaning forward for the first down as he got tackled. It was just a case where the smaller guy wanted it more and stopped the big dude dead in his tracks.

Not trying to take anything away from Oliver on that play, but Ertz was starting to try to reach out for that extra yard when he saw someone closing in on him (think it was Keke, but not sure) when he pulled the ball back in...afraid to take that hit from our nasty and physical defense.

PokerSteve likes this

31 minutes ago, vel said:

For four entire quarters. I don't think fans understand that nor actually can fathom it. Takk was beating up Peters all game. Vic got some good rushes on Lane Johnson. Grady was dominating inside again. They couldn't run the ball anywhere. 

That's why I don't care about the "Eagles injuries" talk. The front seven was beating them up. Without having to blitz like the Eagles were. That's crazy.

When was the last time you recall a Falcons DL putting that kind if $#whoopin on a great big powerful, talented OL like that? 

I'm thinking our first Super Bowl year in 1998, 1999 with  Lester Archambeau, Travis Hall, Shane Dronnett and Chuck Smith. Those guys were dogs.

vel and PokerSteve like this

5 minutes ago, Alomar said:

Not trying to take anything away from Oliver on that play, but Ertz was starting to try to reach out for that extra yard when he saw someone closing in on him (think it was Keke, but not sure) when he pulled the ball back in...afraid to take that hit from our nasty and physical defense.

Yes, he didn't fully extend the ball, but by that time it looked to me like Oliver had pulled him too far from the Line to Gain to get the first down if he had reached out all the way.

gazoo likes this

21 hours ago, gazoo said:

I hear you,  but don’t misunderstand what I’m saying.

I’m not predicting anything as far as defensive standings, etc

I’m saying this defense now has that dog in it we’ve not seen in years here. That’s what I’m excited about. Last night was the first time in years  I saw our defense win a Gallipoli level trench war!  

Im talking about an intangible when I say we have come of age. 

In years past, our defense would lose those types of games...in a bad way.  Yes, this D has swagger and grit.  I hope they stay healthy and gel further.  This is what we were waiting for when Quinn was hired. 

gazoo likes this

1 minute ago, thamill said:

Yes, this D has swagger and grit.  This is what we were waiting for when Quinn was hired. 

Exactly!  This is what many of us have been waiting for, it’s reminiscent of the Seattle defense back when DQ ran it.

Way too many people don’t even know what this post is about. They think I’m talking about a win, where I’m talking about something much deeper. 

thamill likes this

7 minutes ago, gazoo said:

Exactly!  This is what many of us have been waiting for, it’s reminiscent of the Seattle defense back when DQ ran it.

Way too many people don’t even know what this post is about. They think I’m talking about a win, where I’m talking about something much deeper. 

Exactly.  The wins will come.  We have been so dependent on Matt and the offense since he was drafted.  The year we went to the SB it was because he had a MVP season with the 6th best offense EVER.  Now that the defense is bowing up and getting nasty, Matt doesn't HAVE to have a MVP season and carry the burden of team success for us to succeed.  Prior to the Philly game, if Matt was off I said "welp, its gonna be a long day" and accept that we would almost definitely lose.  Now not so much.  Now, our nasty defense can set the tone and force the other talented offenses to earn anything they get rather than knowing they could just exploit us the same old way.  And when Matt is on and the D is on, we will see something truly special on both sides of the ball.   

gazoo likes this

27 minutes ago, gazoo said:

"much deeper" - needs to go with "much more than one game".

It's a start.....that is all it is.   Turn one good defensive performance into two, turn two into four - then you have something.

I hope it's more than one game.   I want you to be right.    Would even tolerate the "I told you so".

Right now.

It's one  good game.  

1 hour ago, g-dawg said:

I don’t create division.   Look at your posting history.

I’ve had you on my ignore list  for years because instead of honest football debate, all you do is attack me incessantly with lies and cheap shots. You still do it, even after I’ve said hardly a word to you in years.

I should have known better to unignore that post of yours on my thread.

There are a lot of fans who love my posts, so why don’t you put me on ignore if they trigger you so? 

Hope you have a great season. C YA

10 minutes ago, gazoo said:

I’ve had you on my ignore list  for years because instead of honest football debate, all you do is attack me incessantly with lies and cheap shots. You still do it, even after I’ve not said a word to you in years.

I should have known better to read that patently dishonest post of yours on my thread and respond to you. 

Hope you have a great season. C YA

You are a carnival barker

You make wildly optimistic proclamations and hope the team's future play will prove you right - so you can be Nostradamus.   There is no science or facts behind it.  I have challenged you to defend this "the defense has turned the corner" on ONE game - noticed you ignored that post.

fuego likes this

56 minutes ago, Statick said:

Still waiting for our special teams to come of age.

You can actually play a drinking game with as many holding calls we get on kickoffs and punts.

yeah.....STs looks rough. I think Gage himself has 2 penalties on teams in 2 games.  

2 hours ago, Statick said:

You can actually play a drinking game with as many holding calls we get on kickoffs and punts.

That drinking game is called alcohol poisoning.

Godzilla1985 and Statick like this

3 hours ago, Statick said:

Falcons would do better on receiving punts if they just told all the 10 guys rushing/blocking to sit down on the ground indian style and tell the punt returner just to far catch.

It's 10yds for holding or block in the back every single time.

On 9/17/2019 at 5:10 PM, HEIST said:

Probably has a lot to do with the fact that the Vikings didn't need to pass to whoop us.

You could tell it meant a lot when you saw their reaction to the 4th down play. Haven't seen them laying around heartbroken like that since you know when. 

Our interior run defense is real. That's been rock solid both weeks. If Oliver comes along well then I got faith in the DBs. 

Well the interior run defense was real for those 2 weeks. Also add Devondre Campbell to the things that need to change before this defense can take a step. Yeesh.